post #541 of 1366 Old 05-11-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by s-one View Post
I was the one who posted the horrible G10 jello/wobble stuff even coming out of CES.
Didn't see that 'horrible jello' you speak of from CES, but more importantly, nobody has seen jello when using the Standard OIS as opposed to the Dynamic OIS. There are also owners who have no issues with their G10 even when using Dynamic. So not all cams were affected. I use Dynamic all the time on my XA10 and have seen an extremely minor case of jello for about 2 seconds when someone smashed into my camera. That's out of a total recording time of probably 7 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1366 Old 05-11-2011, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 131
"Some of the Panasonic BD players have SD card slots that make it easier to play these files. Simply take the card out of the camera and place it in the BD player. I don't believe the Sony players have this card slot."

Yes, for right out of the camera convenience, the sd slot on the Panasonic players is great - it will just play the files from the sd card taken from the camera. Interestingly, though, the new Panasonic bluray players will not play the 108060p files from the usb slot - that is for still pictures!

You can also attach the a Sony camera by usb to the Sony bluray player and play 108060p files, but that is not particularly relevant to this thread.
post #543 of 1366 Old 05-11-2011, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Didn't see that 'horrible jello' you speak of from CES, but more importantly, nobody has seen jello when using the Standard OIS as opposed to the Dynamic OIS. There are also owners who have no issues with their G10 even when using Dynamic. So not all cams were affected. I use Dynamic all the time on my XA10 and have seen an extremely minor case of jello for about 2 seconds when someone smashed into my camera. That's out of a total recording time of probably 7 hours.
Yea I referenced one of those videos from the guy at CES who had the same wobble that I truly dislike and I find it horrible... we're not talking about a $99 Flip cam here. In any case glad to hear your XA10 is doing great although this is the wrong thread to specifically talk about G10's. No need to convince me as the TM900 is certainly serving my purposes. Thanks!
post #544 of 1366 Old 05-11-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
While I do not stream, I also understand that the Sony blu-ray models that have built-in wifi will enable streaming the video files that are on the usb stick, but this I have not tried myself. They also act as a renderer playing files streamed from other DNLA devices.
Interesting.. OK thanks Mark I'll look into this more closely. When the TM900 plays the 60fps its using the TM900 hardware right? It's not doing anything special like re-encoding it on the fly to play correct? Thanks!
post #545 of 1366 Old 05-11-2011, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

"When the TM900 plays the 60fps its using the TM900 hardware right? It's not doing anything special like re-encoding it on the fly to play correct?"

If the Panasonic could transcode in real time the 108060p video to some other format that would be amazing. No, it plays them as 108060p, no transcoding. So when you connect the camera by HDMI cable you get the real thing.

Relatedly, the camera actually can convert the 60p to 60i by hardware much quicker than a computer. And you can use it to transcode 108060p files to AVCHD 108060i files right in the camera (say from internal memory to the sd card). You then have both the original 108060p files and the transcoded 108060i versions.
post #546 of 1366 Old 05-11-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Yes, for right out of the camera convenience, the sd slot on the Panasonic players is great - it will just play the files from the sd card taken from the camera. Interestingly, though, the new Panasonic bluray players will not play the 108060p files from the usb slot - that is for still pictures!

Supposedly, NEW players can do that. Ancient stuff like mine BD80 cannot. But if I re-wrap the files with tsMuxer, it plays 1080p60 from a card just fine. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-one View Post

When the TM900 plays the 60fps its using the TM900 hardware right? It's not doing anything special like re-encoding it on the fly to play correct?

AFAIK, you can choose either 1080i or 1080p output on HDMI port depending on your TV capability.
post #547 of 1366 Old 05-11-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:

If the Panasonic could transcode in real time the 108060p video to some other format that would be amazing. No, it plays them as 108060p, no transcoding. So when you connect the camera by HDMI cable you get the real thing.

Relatedly, the camera actually can convert the 60p to 60i by hardware much quicker than a computer. And you can use it to transcode 108060p files to AVCHD 108060i files right in the camera (say from internal memory to the sd card). You then have both the original 108060p files and the transcoded 108060i versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

AFAIK, you can choose either 1080i or 1080p output on HDMI port depending on your TV capability.

Gotcha, OK thank you both kindly!
post #548 of 1366 Old 05-11-2011, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Supposedly you can buy a Sony BDP-S580 blu-ray player and it can playback the files with no stutter. At least that is what someone posted."

Just above "someone" posted that all of the Sony bluray players from S270 through S580 play perfectly 108060p files. You do not have to get the top of the line Sony model to get this or NTFS. Maybe there is a difference on whether they will read ext3 formats; that is is another thing.

While I do not stream, I also understand that the Sony blu-ray models that have built-in wifi will enable streaming the video files that are on the usb stick, but this I have not tried myself. They also act as a renderer playing files streamed from other DNLA devices.

I posted that probably at the same time as you did.
As long as it plays the files correctly and I read in the specs that it can handle NTFS external HDD's. Perhaps the cheaper ones can as well, I don't know. The thing I like about the PS3 is that with the internal HDD you can see clips of the movies. Do any of these models do that or do you have to rely on file names?
I'm waiting to get the camera before I cough up for the blu-ray and another external HDD.
post #549 of 1366 Old 05-12-2011, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I have last year’s Sony BD-S570 hooked to a last year’s 55 inch Sony TV. I have a six year old Panasonic DMP-BD30 hooked to a 6 year old 42 inch Panasonic TV.

I took about a 30 second video with my new HDC-SDT750PP (a very close cousin to the TM9000) with the 1080/60p button engaged. It produced a 70 megabyte file on the 32 gig SD card that the camcorder formatted.

The old Panasonic BD player accepted the 32 gig SD card directly in its front slot and would gracefully play all the AVCHD files on the SD card, but not the test video. I suspect the newer Panasonic BD players would do fine with the newer 1080/60p setting.

Then I put the SD card into a Windows 7 Toshiba laptop and copied the test file to a flash drive and a DVD+R as ordinary data files using Windows Explorer. I put those into the S570. They both played beautifully on the 55 inch Sony from easy to navigate menus.

I am a video newbie so I am experimenting with the goal being 10 minute family movies with multiple high quality clips woven into a short story. Files size will become important with editing. So far, I’m having good success with the 750 recording in the default settings. The files sizes are manageable and the eyeballs see excellent picture quality on the TV. So, I don’t see myself using the 1080/60p capability much.

The difficult challenge with the 10 minute movies is being able to provide them for family or friends. Blu-Ray players are becoming more popular, but it looks like if I will be making two versions of everything so that those with lesser equipment will can watch as well as those with better HD gear.

Back to the topic: If I were to buy a new BD player, I would make sure it has the SD card slot like my old Panasonic. It is very convenient to be able to take the SD card directly from the camcorder, put it in the player and not mess with wires or software.

In fact I think I am in the hunt for a new Panasonic BD player just to get the SD card slot.

On edit: With the SD card compatibility between camcorder and BD player, one could shoot an event, edit clips as necessary in camera and come home to slip the SD card in for instant viewing in chronological order.
post #550 of 1366 Old 05-12-2011, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

I have last year's Sony BD-S570 hooked to a last year's 55 inch Sony TV. I have a six year old Panasonic DMP-BD30 hooked to a 6 year old 42 inch Panasonic TV.

I took about a 30 second video with my new HDC-SDT750PP (a very close cousin to the TM9000) with the 1080/60p button engaged. It produced a 70 megabyte file on the 32 gig SD card that the camcorder formatted.

The old Panasonic BD player accepted the 32 gig SD card directly in its front slot and would gracefully play all the AVCHD files on the SD card, but not the test video. I suspect the newer Panasonic BD players would do fine with the newer 1080/60p setting.

Then I put the SD card into a Windows 7 Toshiba laptop and copied the test file to a flash drive and a DVD+R as ordinary data files using Windows Explorer. I put those into the S570. They both played beautifully on the 55 inch Sony from easy to navigate menus.

I am a video newbie so I am experimenting with the goal being 10 minute family movies with multiple high quality clips woven into a short story. Files size will become important with editing. So far, I'm having good success with the 750 recording in the default settings. The files sizes are manageable and the eyeballs see excellent picture quality on the TV. So, I don't see myself using the 1080/60p capability much.

The difficult challenge with the 10 minute movies is being able to provide them for family or friends. Blu-Ray players are becoming more popular, but it looks like if I will be making two versions of everything so that those with lesser equipment will can watch as well as those with better HD gear.

Back to the topic: If I were to buy a new BD player, I would make sure it has the SD card slot like my old Panasonic. It is very convenient to be able to take the SD card directly from the camcorder, put it in the player and not mess with wires or software.

In fact I think I am in the hunt for a new Panasonic BD player just to get the SD card slot.

On edit: With the SD card compatibility between camcorder and BD player, one could shoot an event, edit clips as necessary in camera and come home to slip the SD card in for instant viewing in chronological order.

Why not just drop all your files onto an external HDD? Then you can plug that right into the blu-ray players USB port and no need for a card slot Videos take up a LOT of HDD space after a while. 3TB drives can be had for $170 at Costco. Just a thought, plus you can use a card reader to put the files onto the HDD from the SD card anyway.
post #551 of 1366 Old 05-12-2011, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

"Why not just drop all your files onto an external HDD? Then you can plug that right into the blu-ray players USB port and no need for a card slot Videos take up a LOT of HDD space after a while. 3TB drives can be had for $170 at Costco. Just a thought, plus you can use a card reader to put the files onto the HDD from the SD card anyway."

I agree with this. If you go this route only the Sony bluray players (every level) allow this; the USB port on the Panasonic players cannot read HD video files.
post #552 of 1366 Old 05-12-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cebu View Post

Why not just drop all your files onto an external HDD? Then you can plug that right into the blu-ray players USB port and no need for a card slot Videos take up a LOT of HDD space after a while. 3TB drives can be had for $170 at Costco. Just a thought, plus you can use a card reader to put the files onto the HDD from the SD card anyway.

I tried a 500 gigabyte external HDD on the Sony S-570 I have and it didn't work. Apparently this particular model has a 320 gig limit and something to do with FAT 32 formating. I don't have a sub 320 gig HDD to try.

At some point I will probably do what you suggest either with a different BD player that can handle bigger drives or with something like what I think is called a Western Digital WD Live.

But, as I said, the first goal is to make "movies". What I didn't write was the important part. I'm doing this with two grade school aged granddaughters. I'm trying to help them learn how to communicate. Someday they may find the skill useful when they have to earn a living! In other words, have you seen any bad powerpoint presentations lately? I figure if they can make a decent short movie they will have a useful skill.

So with the granddaughters involved, we have to make "best quality" DVDs that can be universally viewed. Having a 1080/60p clip on my HDD isn't good enough.
post #553 of 1366 Old 05-12-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Why not just drop all your files onto an external HDD? Then you can plug that right into the blu-ray players USB port and no need for a card slot Videos take up a LOT of HDD space after a while. 3TB drives can be had for $170 at Costco. Just a thought, plus you can use a card reader to put the files onto the HDD from the SD card anyway."

I agree with this. If you go this route only the Sony bluray players (every level) allow this; the USB port on the Panasonic players cannot read HD video files.

My Sony S-570 won't accept my WD 500 gig external HDD. Do you have a way I can make it work?
post #554 of 1366 Old 05-12-2011, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried a 500 gigabyte external HDD on the Sony S-570 I have and it didn't work. Apparently this particular model has a 320 gig limit and something to do with FAT 32 formating. I don't have a sub 320 gig HDD to try.

At some point I will probably do what you suggest either with a different BD player that can handle bigger drives or with something like what I think is called a Western Digital WD Live.

But, as I said, the first goal is to make "movies". What I didn't write was the important part. I'm doing this with two grade school aged granddaughters. I'm trying to help them learn how to communicate. Someday they may find the skill useful when they have to earn a living! In other words, have you seen any bad powerpoint presentations lately? I figure if they can make a decent short movie they will have a useful skill.

So with the granddaughters involved, we have to make "best quality" DVDs that can be universally viewed. Having a 1080/60p clip on my HDD isn't good enough.

Some Sony blu-ray players do not support NTFS. I know the S580 does because it's not only on Sony's website it's also written on the box.

Always shoot in the best format possible. I can upload a video taken many years ago it's 320x200 or something. Tht's all it had at the time and believe me it's almost unviewable now.
HDTV's aren't going to stay 1920x1080 forever and when you look years down the road and your 100 inch OLED TV that is 3840x2160 you will wish you had saved it at it's max resolution.

It's not that hard to convert it and keep your raw files intact.
I also tried to teach my kids photography but no dice. They think using a cell phone is "good enough"
I hope you have better luck teaching yours.
post #555 of 1366 Old 05-13-2011, 06:27 AM

I don't remember if someone else said but the 1080p60 files from SD/TM900 can be played well by Windows Media Player 12 (at least on my pc Athlonx2 4250e, Video Ati HD 5450).
i also tried:
VLC - no good
XBMC - no good

i have the SD900 version, verry happy with it. But the battery/price is a pain.
post #556 of 1366 Old 05-19-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionutmar View Post

I don't remember if someone else said but the 1080p60 files from SD/TM900 can be played well by Windows Media Player 12 (at least on my pc Athlonx2 4250e, Video Ati HD 5450).
i also tried:
VLC - no good
XBMC - no good

i have the SD900 version, verry happy with it. But the battery/price is a pain.

ya works in WMP - but then again I have Shark007's codecs installed and MPC-HC installed too... eitherway, it does play - i just can't say if it's "native" to WMP or because of the additional stuff I have installed.

Win7x64, Pro.
post #557 of 1366 Old 05-21-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:

My Sony S-570 won't accept my WD 500 gig external HDD. Do you have a way I can make it work?

You have to format your HDD to fat32.
post #558 of 1366 Old 05-22-2011, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lekom View Post

You have to format your HDD to fat32.

I tried it using a dos command. When I let Windows 7 take over it wanted to format it again and I let it and it. When done the Sony wouldn't read the drive. I'll have to try it again.
post #559 of 1366 Old 05-22-2011, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I tried it using a dos command. When I let Windows 7 take over it wanted to format it again and I let it and it. When done the Sony wouldn't read the drive. I'll have to try it again.

Did a lot of testing with bluray players that play external hdd. Sony 580 is great and the 570 will not do it. I didn't reformat my drives because I had them loaded with clips. I also use the LG bluray with a built in 250gig hdd and they play my 900 clips great by my external WD hdd's
post #560 of 1366 Old 05-22-2011, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can get a free program from Iomega on their website that will allow you to format a 500GB drive to FAT32.
Just look on their website and you can find it pretty easily.
Doing it on you PC without that utility won't work. I think WD has one on their site as well, but I'm certain of Iomega.
post #561 of 1366 Old 05-22-2011, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gso125 View Post

Did a lot of testing with bluray players that play external hdd. Sony 580 is great and the 570 will not do it. I didn't reformat my drives because I had them loaded with clips. I also use the LG bluray with a built in 250gig hdd and they play my 900 clips great by my external WD hdd's

What model LG blu-ray player do you have?
post #562 of 1366 Old 05-22-2011, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

What model LG blu-ray player do you have?

LG bd590
post #563 of 1366 Old 05-22-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LG bd590

Thanks, which would you say is better the Sony BDP-580 or the LG BD590?
The LG is $25 more than the Sony normally but right now the Sony is on sale for around $179.
post #564 of 1366 Old 05-22-2011, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks, which would you say is better the Sony BDP-580 or the LG BD590?
The LG is $25 more than the Sony normally but right now the Sony is on sale for around $179.

For my use which is only playing my clips through my external hdd I don't see any difference, I got the LG for the internal hdd of 250 gig put a few clips on it they worked and havnt put more on it since. The external is what I use most. So go LG only if you want the extra storage.
post #565 of 1366 Old 05-22-2011, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

And LG makes other models that are cheaper no storage onboard that should work but I didn't test them.
post #566 of 1366 Old 05-22-2011, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For my use which is only playing my clips through my external hdd I don't see any difference, I got the LG for the internal hdd of 250 gig put a few clips on it they worked and havnt put more on it since. The external is what I use most. So go LG only if you want the extra storage.

Quote:

And LG makes other models that are cheaper no storage onboard that should work but I didn't test them.

Thanks gso, I appreciate the help.
post #567 of 1366 Old 05-22-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You can get a free program from Iomega on their website that will allow you to format a 500GB drive to FAT32.
Just look on their website and you can find it pretty easily.
Doing it on you PC without that utility won't work. I think WD has one on their site as well, but I'm certain of Iomega.

Windows should be fully capable of reformatting an external HD. A right click on the drive letter should give you the option 'format'. There you can choose which file version you want.
post #568 of 1366 Old 05-22-2011, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Good info. Didn't realize the 570 wouldn't recognize an external drive. For some reason I thought that all Sony BD players did. I like the SD card slot on my Panasonic 3D BD player (don't have 3D anyway), but I don't like that it doesn't recognize external drives.
post #569 of 1366 Old 05-22-2011, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

"Windows should be fully capable of reformatting an external HD. A right click on the drive letter should give you the option 'format'. There you can choose which file version you want."

I believe in Windows (7) you cannot take an NTFS-formatted drive and make it a fat32 drive.
post #570 of 1366 Old 05-22-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

"Good info. Didn't realize the 570 wouldn't recognize an external drive."

This is incorrect. My Sony 570 recognizes my 320GB WD Passport drive, for example, and plays 108060p videos fine from it. It is formatted as Fat32. I believe the issue is whether the Sony x70 series recognizes NTFS-formatted external drives.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page