The Official Panasonic HDC-TM900 Owners Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
First ... 35  36  37 38  39  ... Last
Camcorders > The Official Panasonic HDC-TM900 Owners Thread
muskett32's Avatar muskett32 05:43 PM 01-25-2012
QUick question.... on the TM900, can the LED light / flash be turned on while recording video? I know this can be done on the Sony's and it helps in low light.

Just curious.

Thanks.

Steve Cebu's Avatar Steve Cebu 06:51 PM 01-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

I wonder who was going to start that.

OK, lest just say I got myself a bit busy at that time and if we had waited until we had all of the top camcorders, no guarantee everybody would have made time for it especially me. For sure it would have been a fun project. It would be much easier to have all these companies allow me borrow their top camcorders and then invite anyone who'd like to either observe the testings being done or be a part of it. Who knows maybe I can try again in a few month and by that time all of these camcorders will have been out including the new JVC HMQ10 4K camcorder.

I for one was willing to show up even tho I am in New Hampshire.
I wonder if anyone will buy a 4K camcorder since buying a 4K TV is very pricey.
Maybe Canon is waiting for 4K and skipping 1080p60p altogether?
Maybe we can do this this upcoming Spring?
muskett32's Avatar muskett32 11:37 PM 01-29-2012
Have had TM900 for a few days now. Indoor filming with room lighting is really bad. What I find annoying is everything looks good on the LCD, but when played back everything looks darker.

If I use an external light, the White Balance goes wacky. I can set it manually, but when the wife uses the camera she's not going to have a clue what to do.

Is this normal with this camera or do I have a lemon?

I love the manual controls, but I think I may need a better low light camera. Any recommendations for a good low light camera with decent manual controls?
bsprague's Avatar bsprague 10:36 AM 01-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by muskett32 View Post

.... What I find annoying is everything looks good on the LCD, but when played back everything looks darker....... but I think I may need a better low light camera. Any recommendations for a good low light camera with decent manual controls?

Played back how? On a TV or the camera LCD?

On mine, the playback and preview are identical on the LCD. I can plug it into a TV with HDMI and see the same thing. Something is wrong on yours.

The 900 does do "low light". For taking video in the dark, a Canon HF G10 will be nominated by many.
muskett32's Avatar muskett32 10:47 AM 01-30-2012
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I need to calibrate my TV. I may have been too harsh on the TM900. I just feel like a love/hate relationship. On the one hand the manual controls are great and when there's plenty of light it's beautiful.

Question for you... How's the white balance on yours? Does it go out of whack often? I'm findin that if I turn on an external camera light in a poorly lit room it throws off the white balance. Eventually it corrects but it may fluctuate again. Is this normal?
Ungermann's Avatar Ungermann 12:34 PM 01-30-2012
Quote:

Question for you... How's the white balance on yours? Does it go out of whack often? I'm findin that if I turn on an external camera light in a poorly lit room it throws off the white balance. Eventually it corrects but it may fluctuate again. Is this normal?

White balancing is not like tuning a guitar. It must be done for each lightning condition. Educate yourself, Google does not charge for its services yet.
bsprague's Avatar bsprague 04:43 PM 01-30-2012
Quote:

As Ungerman suggests, it can be a challenge.

I try to leave my camera(s) in full intelligent automatic mode as often as I can. It allows me to concentrate on what I'm shooting and how it will sound. The white balance works pretty well for me in auto.

Their is a clever option you can use if you don't like auto. If you poke the right menu choices it comes up with an opportunity to hold a white piece of paper in front of the lens and push a button. It will 'tune' for the white paper.

Depending on the editor you use, you can make a little adjustment
Ungermann's Avatar Ungermann 05:03 PM 01-30-2012
Contrary to bsprague I prefer fixed WB setting, whether manual or a preset. It is much easier to change the whole timeline than to update each clip. And if the WB changes in the middle of the clip it pretty much goes to trash.
jammike's Avatar jammike 09:14 PM 01-30-2012
Just got this Camcorder last week from Amazon. How do I delete Photos/Videos from The built in Memory ? I want to delete a bunch of photos not one at a time but The USB works read only. ???
Steve Cebu's Avatar Steve Cebu 05:14 AM 01-31-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammike View Post

Just got this Camcorder last week from Amazon. How do I delete Photos/Videos from The built in Memory ? I want to delete a bunch of photos not one at a time but The USB works read only. ???

Just copy over everything to your PC and then reformat your onboard memory. It's much better if you do it that way.
jammike's Avatar jammike 07:20 AM 01-31-2012
Thanks Steve. Just wanted to make sure that I am not missing something obvious. This camera is quite different from my earlier model sony TRV-33
bsprague's Avatar bsprague 08:33 AM 01-31-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

Contrary to bsprague I prefer fixed WB setting, whether manual or a preset.......

It is on my "to learn" list.

Bill
BOB HAN's Avatar BOB HAN 12:51 PM 02-01-2012
I filmed my sons basketball game and forgot to turn off the sound. I have uploaded the video into the HD writer software on my computer, can I remove the sound with the software? I can't have sound when I upload the game into Shutterfly, makes the coach mad to hear all the parents complaining. Thanks Bob H
Steve Cebu's Avatar Steve Cebu 12:53 PM 02-01-2012
Time to get a new coach.
Ungermann's Avatar Ungermann 02:36 PM 02-01-2012
Not sure whether HD Writer can remove sound track. If not, you can remove it with tsMuxer.
bsprague's Avatar bsprague 07:36 PM 02-01-2012
I'm using Premier Elements 10 for what my HD Writer 2.6 won't do. The audio control is very good and more than I expected in under $100 editing software.

Not only can you delete the sound of complaining parents, but you can add music, a track of happy parents or tracks of crowd noise.

Bill
Bugler's Avatar Bugler 08:52 PM 02-01-2012
I've searched the posts here to see if someone has asked this before doing so, but didn't see anything. Can the cam accept a 64gb sd card?
serafko's Avatar serafko 02:53 AM 02-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugler View Post

I've searched the posts here to see if someone has asked this before doing so, but didn't see anything. Can the cam accept a 64gb sd card?

Yes, you can use 64gb sd card.
alokeprasad's Avatar alokeprasad 03:33 AM 02-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

I'm using Premier Elements 10 for what my HD Writer 2.6 won't do. The audio control is very good and more than I expected in under $100 editing software.

Not only can you delete the sound of complaining parents, but you can add music, a track of happy parents or tracks of crowd noise.

Bill

Does it handle 1080p60 files?
bsprague's Avatar bsprague 08:22 AM 02-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by alokeprasad View Post

Does it handle 1080p60 files?

Yes, Premier Elements 10 works with 1080p60 files -- but not completely.

It reads them fine. Rendering is a little different issue.

I'm in the middle of a project where I am using two camcorders and everything was shot in 1080p60. The cameras are a Sony HX9V and a Panasonic HDC-SDT-750 (a TM900 wanabee).

I've trimmed and joined a half dozen clips on the timeline. I've added a title and credit screen on a matte background with audio tracks. I've added separate audio clips to the time line. I've inserted a couple of .jpg stills to the primary video track. I need to create and add one more narrative clip to finish. In other words, it is not a long video, but a little complicated. And, it's my first effort at "complicated" editing.

To be on track with a TM900 thread, I couldn't begin to do what I wanted in HD Writer. I like HD Writer a lot for maintaining 1080p60 beginning to end. What I needed is an editor that goes beyond HD Writer.

Creating product is next. Premier Elements 10 offers lots of choices -- too many to describe. One thing I want is the highest quality file I can produce for a media player I have and one of the rendering presets is 1080p30. Influenced by other threads on this forum (Ungerman!), I chose it because of the "p" for progressive. On my 55 inch TV, the picture quality is terrific.

Premier Elements does not have rendering presets for 1080p60. I guess Adobe doesn't think that's needed or useful for a consumer editor. Could it be that playback opportunities for that are still limited? It seems that Adobe prefers to offer presets optimized for things like uploading to YouTube rather than uploading the 1080p60 and having YouTube's computers processes it.

I'm planning this project to include renders for my iPod Touch, an AVCHD DVD that I can send to my brother for his Blu-Ray player, a DVD to see what it looks like and uploads to YouTube and Vimeo (for which "optimized" presets are offered).

One of the half dozen things Adobe brags about being new in version 10 is the ability to make AVCHD DVDs directly. I'm looking forward to trying that. On my first test, it appears that it uses the 1080p60 clips and renders to 1080i60 on the DVD. It looked good on playback from by BD player even though the "p" turned into "i".

I hope this answers your question of if it handles 1080p60 from a TM900.

Bill
alokeprasad's Avatar alokeprasad 05:44 PM 02-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Yes, Premier Elements 10 works with 1080p60 files -- but not completely.
I hope this answers your question of if it handles 1080p60 from a TM900.
Bill

Thanks. Sure does.

I have Nero 11 which claims to handle 1080p60 all the way. I haven't had to use it yet, as HD Writer AE has been sufficient (I did not need to add/change audio tracks).

I'll let everyone here know how that turns out when I put together a project in Nero.
Bugler's Avatar Bugler 09:10 PM 02-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by serafko View Post

Yes, you can use 64gb sd card.

Thanks!
tingham's Avatar tingham 02:56 PM 02-07-2012
I needed more battery's for my TM900 since I am going to be using it alot more in the near future. I wanted to let other owners know that Wasabi has finally released their compatible battery for the TM900 and other models that use the "N" series battery's. They should work exactly the same as the stock battery's at significant savings. These battery's should work with Panasonic's new X900 and X800 camcorders as well.

I trust the "Wasabi" brand, as I have never had a problem with compatibility on any of my devices that I use the Wasabi brand with. Blue Nook sells them via Amazon. I ended up ordering the large 2800mAh for $29.99 and a wall/car powerport charger for $13.99. They also sell 2 large 2800mHh battery's and charger in a complete kit for $59.99. I will report back on thier performance but do not expect any issues with this brand. They have a 3 year warranty. Here are some links in case anyone is interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-P...8650158&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-P...8650158&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-P...8650158&sr=8-5
alokeprasad's Avatar alokeprasad 05:40 AM 02-11-2012
Does the WD TV Live Hub support playback of such files in the native format??

The reason I ask is that the product specification web page

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/produ...px?id=570#tab3

does not list 1920x1080p60 in the "Note:" section.

Thanks.
PS: one can get this for $145 and I am really tempted!!!
PPS: is there a different forum at AVS that discusses this player?
bsprague's Avatar bsprague 08:19 AM 02-11-2012
Quote:

Does the WD TV Live Hub support playback of such files in the native format??.....

My "old" version, the "WD TV Live Plus" plays 1080p60 fine. I'm probably going to upgrade to the newer "WD TV Live" with the bigger remote because it is supposed to have a nicer interface and a built in Vimeo app.

The "Plus" is a little slow to sequence from one clip to the next. I've tried to find out if the new version is faster, but without success. Perhaps with a built in HDD, the "Hub" version would be the quickest.

Bill
alokeprasad's Avatar alokeprasad 08:30 AM 02-11-2012
The latest (3rd gen) player without the hard drive is called WD Live Streaming Media Player, released in October 2011. It has newer CPU sigma SMP8670AD-CBE3 chipset and they have increased the RAM from 256 to 512.

I am hesitant to buy the WD TV Live Hub (with the hard drive but without Wifi) because it is a (relatively) old product (Fall 2010 ?) and will probably get updated (soon?).

I'm trying to find out the exact difference between SMP and Hub (besides hard drive and Wifi) in terms of their capability ....

More at http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-an..._entertainment
BOB HAN's Avatar BOB HAN 08:55 AM 02-11-2012
Can someone tell me if you can turn off Mic (sound) if you are in auto mode. the bottom of page 75 says ( You cannot record with the audio muted) Hard to imagine you can't turn off the mic . The coach sent out an email about everyone complaining on the video's, now I am in trouble
Rudy_P's Avatar Rudy_P 10:56 AM 02-11-2012
Quote:

Does the WD TV Live Hub support playback of such files in the native format??

The reason I ask is that the product specification web page

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/produ...px?id=570#tab3

does not list 1920x1080p60 in the "Note:" section.

Thanks.
PS: one can get this for $145 and I am really tempted!!!
PPS: is there a different forum at AVS that discusses this player?

It plays the 1920x1080p 60fps flawlessly. Plus 1 Tb.storage a bonus.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1283694
alokeprasad's Avatar alokeprasad 04:26 PM 02-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

I needed more battery's for my TM900 since I am going to be using it alot more in the near future. I wanted to let other owners know that Wasabi has finally released their compatible battery for the TM900 and other models that use the "N" series battery's. They should work exactly the same as the stock battery's at significant savings. These battery's should work with Panasonic's new X900 and X800 camcorders as well.

I trust the "Wasabi" brand, as I have never had a problem with compatibility on any of my devices that I use the Wasabi brand with. Blue Nook sells them via Amazon. I ended up ordering the large 2800mAh for $29.99 and a wall/car powerport charger for $13.99. They also sell 2 large 2800mHh battery's and charger in a complete kit for $59.99. I will report back on thier performance but do not expect any issues with this brand. They have a 3 year warranty. Here are some links in case anyone is interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-P...8650158&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-P...8650158&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-P...8650158&sr=8-5

How are the Wasabi products performing?

Can the Wasabi charger be used to charge Panasonic branded batteries? I bought the Panasonic 2500 mAh battery.

I wish there was a way to charge these batteries using USB battery packs like this one, which has enough stored energy to do so:

http://www.amazon.com/i-Sound-Portab...9002754&sr=1-1
bsprague's Avatar bsprague 04:27 PM 02-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB HAN View Post

Can someone tell me if you can turn off Mic (sound) if you are in auto mode. the bottom of page 75 says ( You cannot record with the audio muted) Hard to imagine you can't turn off the mic . The coach sent out an email about everyone complaining on the video's, now I am in trouble

I cut the plug off the end of some cheep ear buds and plugged it into the mic jack. Sound goes away. There is a little background hum, but that's all.

I'm learning Premier Elements 10. One of the things I was surprised to find was how easy it is to to de-link the audio from the video. Then you can cut out whatever you want. You can can even cut and paste something like crowd noise to fill where the complaining parent was shooting his/her mouth off.
First ... 35  36  37 38  39  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop