Old 02-27-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

As for Vegas, I am sorry for you having issues with it, but you seem to be the only person I know to have this sort of problem. I use Vegas starting from version 6 and I like it a lot.

Right! I am the only person I know that couldn't get it to run or get support after I paid cash for it. The fact remains that I still can't get it to run and I couldn't get any customer support from Sony.

I've been messing with computers since CPM was more common than MS DOS and later Windows. My experience with Vegas was the most frustrating I can remember.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspyderr View Post

That is a really cool (non)muzzle loading black powder rifle! As uncomplicated as black powder rifles are, I kind of thought I had seen them all, but that screw close breach allowing loaditng from the rear is neat.

Oh and the type writer lettering in the video was cool too. :-)

Thank you for you kind words. I have been focused for a year trying to figure out how to do video. I've done photos for decades, but video is very different.

Bill
Old 02-27-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokeprasad View Post

.... I expect that Adobe will add 1080p60 in the next version (or via software update).

Please let us know here if Adobe adds this to PE 10.

Maybe they will. Maybe they won't. It seems more likely that Adobe will continue to help you "share" or deliver your video to channels where people really watch it.

I think I am beginning to understand that 1080p60 is not as important as quality content. It may be the "holy grail" on this forum, but the reality seems to be that so many delivery channels re-process the files and, although it looks like "HD", it is not 1080p60.

Bill
Old 02-28-2012, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Maybe they will. Maybe they won't. It seems more likely that Adobe will continue to help you "share" or deliver your video to channels where people really watch it.

I think I am beginning to understand that 1080p60 is not as important as quality content. It may be the "holy grail" on this forum, but the reality seems to be that so many delivery channels re-process the files and, although it looks like "HD", it is not 1080p60.

Bill

It is true if you are uploading you will lose the 60p, and most likely end up with 30p. The problem with 60i is the same conversion often takes place, you end up with 30p still, but you now have de-interlaced 30p, which is a step down in quality from a frame rate converted 60p to 30p.

Given the extreme compression of most on line video services it probably doesn't matter if you started out with progressive or interlace footage.

For a lot of us we are using 60p and keeping it 60p to watch back on HD TVs, and it looks very good indeed.

Regards

Phil
Old 02-28-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_L View Post

Given the extreme compression of most on line video services it probably doesn't matter if you started out with progressive or interlace footage.

Absolutely not true (the image is clickable).

Old 02-28-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

....For a lot of us we are using 60p and keeping it 60p to watch back on HD TVs, and it looks very good indeed....

I do that too. But, I have to say that my 66 year old eyeballs with glasses like the result from my two camcorders in any of the AVCHD settings too.

To keep the 60p, I have to watch unedited clips or use camera provided software to trim and join.

If I want more "creative" video, it seems I have to forego the 60p. It might be that my Sony TV "upscales" the lesser video quality, because to my eyes, it looks great(.

I've posted my latest personal video here a few times in various places. (https://vimeo.com/36973087) It is an example of needing both 60p and the output from an "NL" editor. It was shot in 60p. But to display the actual firing of the gun I needed to spread a tenth of a second in to a few seconds. For that I needed editing software beyond the camera provided software. My editor used single frames clipped to .jpg files from the 60p footage and then displayed them in about a 3 second sequence. So, in other words, I needed 60p to start but had to accept the lesser output of the editor to get the story across.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:59 AM

Hi

Quote:

Absolutely not true (the image is clickable).

It depends on the service if it de-interlaces or not, if the service is feeding back interlaced footage your media player/embedded flash player should be de-interlacing it so you don't see the combing.

Something is wrong with your playback software if you are seeing interlacing combing like that or the stream has been encoded incorrectly before upload and doesn't contain the correct flags, as it should be de-interlaced for you.

Any decent de-interlacing will give you an image that doesn't look much different to true progressive when they are both going through some strong compression seen with on-line services.

Edit: I've checked the video, basically it is interlaced footage that has been flagged as progressive, looks like a problem in the creation of the final output before upload to YouTube. When forced to treat it as interlaced, all that combing is gone and it looks pretty good.

Regards

Phil
Old 02-28-2012, 11:03 AM

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

I do that too. But, I have to say that my 66 year old eyeballs with glasses like the result from my two camcorders in any of the AVCHD settings too.

To keep the 60p, I have to watch unedited clips or use camera provided software to trim and join.

If I want more "creative" video, it seems I have to forego the 60p. It might be that my Sony TV "upscales" the lesser video quality, because to my eyes, it looks great(.

I've posted my latest personal video here a few times in various places. (https://vimeo.com/36973087) It is an example of needing both 60p and the output from an "NL" editor. It was shot in 60p. But to display the actual firing of the gun I needed to spread a tenth of a second in to a few seconds. For that I needed editing software beyond the camera provided software. My editor used single frames clipped to .jpg files from the 60p footage and then displayed them in about a 3 second sequence. So, in other words, I needed 60p to start but had to accept the lesser output of the editor to get the story across.

Not sure where you are having issues as most good editors now deal with 60p footage just fine.

Playback is more of a pain as you would need a modern media player or Blu-ray player that supports 60p playback. All new Panasonic Blu-ray players and the latest Sony Blu-ray players support 60p playback.

But if you are happy with 60i, no worries, it is all good.

Regards

Phil
Old 02-28-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've checked the video, basically it is interlaced footage that has been flagged as progressive, looks like a problem in the creation of the final output before upload to YouTube.

Maybe. Maybe it is YouTube's deinterlacer. You never know. Bottom line: you get predictable and consistent results with progressive source, you get unpredictable and inconsistent results with interlaced source. If you do deinterlace interlaced video so that it does not have neither combing nor ghosting you lose half of vertical resolution compared to native progressive video. And yes, this is noticeable even on YouTube.

As for TV viewing, all TVs have deinenterlacers, some are better other are worse, but even when deinterlaced "field-to-frame" (a.k.a. "bob") the image usually is still watchable. Which is why I would prefer consumer cams having 720p60 instead of 1080p60, but Panasonic does not want to hurt its professional lineup by offering what they think is a professional format (720p60), so they offer a format that is not used by pros (1080p60).

1080p60 is not BD legal, it can be watched only on AVCHD 2.0 - compliant players, it is not used in broadcast. This way Panasonic (and Sony) made it look like they offered a super-duper format to consumers while fully protecting their professional lineups. Bravo.

I convert all my interlaced videos into 720p60, I also render from 1080p60 into 720p60, and it looks good enough for me (I render 1080p60 too, but I don't give it away). Presently, I consider 720p60 the best middle ground, it is fully supported in BD players and in broadcast and I can render great interlaced DVD-Video from it if I needed. And it looks great on a computer without the need to tweak deinterlacing settings.

Compare frame size in pixels: 1280x720 = 921600, 1920x1080 = 2073600. Now compare bitrates: 24 Mbit/s for 720p60 and 28 Mbit/s for 1080p60 and you will see that 1080p60 has to work harder. Hence occasional macroblocking that I see from the SD600.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:13 AM

Hi

Quote:

Maybe. Maybe it is YouTube's deinterlacer. You never know. Bottom line: you get predictable and consistent results with progressive source, you get unpredictable and inconsistent results with interlaced source. If you do deinterlace interlaced video so that it does not have neither combing nor ghosting you lose half of vertical resolution compared to native progressive video. And yes, this is noticeable even on YouTube.

As for TV viewing, all TVs have deinenterlacers, some are better other are worse, but even when deinterlaced "field-to-frame" (a.k.a. "bob") the image usually is still watchable. Which is why I would prefer consumer cams having 720p60 instead of 1080p60, but Panasonic does not want to hurt its professional lineup by offering what they think is a professional format (720p60), so they offer a format that is not used by pros (1080p60).

1080p60 is not BD legal, it can be watched only on AVCHD 2.0 - compliant players, it is not used in broadcast. This way Panasonic (and Sony) made it look like they offered a super-duper format to consumers while fully protecting their professional lineups. Bravo.

I convert all my interlaced videos into 720p60, I also render from 1080p60 into 720p60, and it looks good enough for me (I render 1080p60 too, but I don't give it away). Presently, I consider 720p60 the best middle ground, it is fully supported in BD players and in broadcast and I can render great interlaced DVD-Video from it if I needed. And it looks great on a computer without the need to tweak deinterlacing settings.

Compare frame size in pixels: 1280x720 = 921600, 1920x1080 = 2073600. Now compare bitrates: 24 Mbit/s for 720p60 and 28 Mbit/s for 1080p60 and you will see that 1080p60 has to work harder. Hence occasional macroblocking that I see from the SD600.

Calm down I quite agree progressive footage is better, it's a no brainer when all we have now is progressive displays. I was just acknowledging the fact that many people are quite happy with interlaced footage especially when you are using online services.

A tip I've found, turn down the sharpness on the SD600 to -5 (if you have that option on the SD600, needs manual mode), which is actually no sharpness applied (as it should be for acquistion), that makes the footage much easier to compress at 28Mbit/sec @ 1080/60p and the footage looks so much better with no tell tale sharpnening artefacts. You can always add a touch of sharpening in post edit if you wish later.

I always re-encode back out to 1080/60p at Blu-ray bit-rates, average 35Mbits/sec which avoids as much as possible any more degradation in the picture quality and playback via the network on a Panasonic Blu-ray player that supports 1080/60p. Like you when I want to give the footage away I convert to 720p for Blu-ray using a spline resizing in AVISynth and encode with X264, this link here might be of interest. http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...4-encoder.html

Regards

Phil
Old 03-01-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Old 03-11-2012, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We just ordered two TM900 for our productions since the new X900 isn't amounting to much of an significant upgrade. We have a SD600 that has been used from time to time, along with two Canon 60D. We'd like to use the TM900/SD600 with the Canons in a multi-cam setup. I was wondering if anyone has any picture settings for the Panny and/or Canon to intercut with the least amount of post production color grading. I know some level of grading would be involved. Just would like to get the footage as close as possible in-camera. Since the dSLRs have more flexible settings, I think it probably be better to match the Canon to the TM900 rather than vise-versa. The 60D is also running Magic Latern. Thanks for anyone help.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:23 PM

I found the 41.5mm adapter rings on ebay! Someone out of Los Angeles is selling them and there are 6 different sizes. The seller is camerachief.

Can't wait to finally get one!

RedFilmer
Old 03-15-2012, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfilmer View Post

...41.5mm adapter rings...

I thought the TM900 had a 46mm thread size... am I missing something?
Old 03-15-2012, 01:32 PM

Hi I am Philip and am new to this forum, I purchased my HDC-TM900 almost a year ago and have enjoyed using it very much, until two weeks ago when I could not playback any of my footage or the pics i took. I put the selector on playback mode but nothing appears on the lcd screen but the video mode? Can anyone help? I have set my camera to Initial settings but nothing happends..
Old 03-15-2012, 01:47 PM

Hi, I have tried everything to get the PLAYBACK menu to appear with no luck. I put the selector switch to playback and it remains in Video mode.. Can anyone help?
Old 03-15-2012, 01:55 PM

Hi I shoot in 1080/60p then convert the MTS files to either iMovie or HD Movie .mov files using iSkysoft video Converter to edit in iMovie on my Mac.

The problem I am having is the continuous Jittering in iMovie & the finished product once burnt onto Blu Ray dISC. What is the best format to convert to & is it the iMovie 11 program I am using that is causing these issues. I have also tried converting to 24fps, 25fps and 30fps with no success.

NEED HELP?
Old 03-15-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotos71 View Post

Hi I shoot in 1080/60p then convert the MTS files to either iMovie or HD Movie .mov files using iSkysoft video Converter to edit in iMovie on my Mac.

The problem I am having is the continuous Jittering in iMovie & the finished product once burnt onto Blu Ray dISC. What is the best format to convert to & is it the iMovie 11 program I am using that is causing these issues. I have also tried converting to 24fps, 25fps and 30fps with no success.

NEED HELP?

You can rewrap the mts files and import them directly into iMovie. You need to first set iMovie to run at 50 or 60 fps or it will convert to 25 or 30 fps. I've described the procedure here: www.ianperegian.com.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 03-15-2012, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotos71 View Post

Hi, I have tried everything to get the PLAYBACK menu to appear with no luck. I put the selector switch to playback and it remains in Video mode.. Can anyone help?

Sounds like your unit has become defective. Have you called Panasonic?

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
Old 03-16-2012, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
How do I show a title in the middle of a long video file? Will I have to split the file whenever I want to add the title?

I have a classical music (high school) concert recorded and would like to overlay the titles of the pieces played without interrupting the flow of the recording.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How do I show a title in the middle of a long video file? Will I have to split the file whenever I want to add the title?

I have a classical music (high school) concert recorded and would like to overlay the titles of the pieces played without interrupting the flow of the recording.

I don't know how to do it in HD Writer, but it is easy to do in Premier Elements 10 (about $85 on Amazon).

PE 10 allows simultaneous control of multiple tracks of video and audio. You could do it a number of ways, but the easiest might be to put the title on Video 2 then fade it in and out as needed. While you are doing that, you could lower the intensity of the primary video track without disturbing the connection to the audio.

Bill
Old 03-16-2012, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks. I am holding off on PE until they add native handling (including output) of 1080p60 format.
My needs are fairly modest (trimming and adding titles) and HDWAE should be able to do that much (I hope ..)
Old 03-16-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Yes, with HDWAE you can trim and combine, and put titles anywhere you want - on any clip. And, it does not transcode from the original 108060p (leaving aside the titles), so you get maximum quality.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

Yes, with HDWAE you can trim and combine, and put titles anywhere you want - on any clip. And, it does not transcode from the original 108060p (leaving aside the titles), so you get maximum quality.

I have HD Writer 2.6 and I don't think I can put titles anywhere I want without disrupting the audio track.

Bill
Old 03-18-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
^One thing I've learned in 20 years of being married is to get what makes my wife happy. If she likes the idea of the projector (it is pretty neat), you should get her the Sony. It won't be quite as sharp as the TM900, but it certainly will have very good video quality. I'm sure both of you would be happy with it.

If you don't like it you can return it and try the TM900. At least you could say to your wife that you tried.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
Old 03-19-2012, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

The built in projector is a gimmick. It's good to be able to press play and show some friends a video you just made but you are better off getting a better camera.
Stuff like this comes in handy for people who don't own Blu-Ray or DVD players.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabillyhop View Post

My wife has seen the ads for the new Sony PJ580V with the built in projector. It is likely a decent camera but I don't think it is nearly as good as the TM900. But she LOVES the idea of the built in projector to easily get a quick look at the videos she takes.

Don't let her watch too many ads, or she might think that it is impossible to live without 3D TV, that Advil is better than Motrin, and that hydraulic fracturing is good for the environment.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

I have 1080p60 m2ts files (in chunks of 4GB) that I would like to import into iTunes with the intention of playing them back on my iPod Touch and iPad (3rd gen). Ideally, these would be 2 different files because the iPod Touch has a much lower resolution than the iPad, which would do the full 1080p.

Any idea how to best do this? Ideally, one would have a single file for the lower resolution device (as the file size would fall well below 4 GB after format conversion).

The format conversion options in HDWAE3 are pretty limited, but can it be used to do this?

Aloke
Old 03-19-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have 1080p60 m2ts files (in chunks of 4GB) that I would like to import into iTunes

Why iTunes? Why not YouTube?
Old 03-19-2012, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

I would like to copy the edited videos on to my various Apple devices. I don't have access to streaming when I travel.