Forum Jump: 

Old 03-20-2011, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed lynn View Post

To be safe, buy your battery from BH I bought 2 (NPV100) batteries from amazon for my Sony VG10, and Sony XR550 since both take same batteries. The 2 batteries won't work on Sony VG10, but works fine on XR550.

get the Sony NPV100. Double the record time.

Yes, but with some bulk. I will never record for more than about 90 minutes consecutively. So for me, if the NP-FV50 can do 90 minutes, I'd rather have two NP-FV50's. If the NP-FV50 can not do 90 minutes or consecutive 1080p at 60fps then I will opt for the NP-FV70. Surely, that battery would be up for the task. Can anyone give me some real life battery times?

Hey moviemaker! Why are you removing all your youtube posts from earlier in this thread? I was very interested in viewing them, but they are gone from youtube.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2011, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealle View Post

Yes, but with some bulk. I will never record for more than about 90 minutes consecutively. So for me, if the NP-FV50 can do 90 minutes, I'd rather have two NP-FV50's. If the NP-FV50 can not do 90 minutes or consecutive 1080p at 60fps then I will opt for the NP-FV70. Surely, that battery would be up for the task. Can anyone give me some real life battery times?

Hey moviemaker! Why are you removing all your youtube posts from earlier in this thread? I was very interested in viewing them, but they are gone from youtube.

I thought everyone had seen them.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:

Yes, but with some bulk. I will never record for more than about 90 minutes consecutively. So for me, if the NP-FV50 can do 90 minutes, I'd rather have two NP-FV50's. If the NP-FV50 can not do 90 minutes or consecutive 1080p at 60fps then I will opt for the NP-FV70.

I use my sony camcorder to document (continious recordering) our home parties and family gathering. I put the sony camcorder with NP FV100 in tripod, lower the HD resolution for maximum record time (HD quality) and start recording the event from begining to end in HD. And not worry about camcorder running out of battery power.

My sony xr550 cames with a NP-FV50. but I never use it. Same thing with my TM700, the VBG130 battery that came with the TM700 is still in the box. And I am using VBG260 on TM700.

If you can afford. Always buy the battery with maximum power.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I made another reduced lighting video inside my home just for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9HHRwb8ILw
Old 03-20-2011, 07:33 PM

Thanks Ed.

Is there an "official CX 560" thread or is this it? I notice this thread is called "My.....review". I don't want to hijack anyone's personal thread. Is it OK to ask random questions about the CX 560 here?
Old 03-20-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:

Thanks Ed.

Is there an "official CX 560" thread or is this it? I notice this thread is called "My.....review". I don't want to hijack anyone's personal thread. Is it OK to ask random questions about the CX 560 here?

I learn how to tranfer my sony xr550 camcorder's m2ts files to computer by reading ungermann post in tm700 thread.

For me, as long as you learn something from the thread and share it. It's not hijacking.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviemaker4741 View Post

Oh wow! Thanks for that Moviemaker! I just gave my CX560 a try before watching your video. I did the same thing as you and zoomed in on my dog. I notice that the video gets dark pretty fast when you zoom, the TM900 stays brighter when I zoom but with much more noise.

I REALLY like the wider angle lens on this CX560. Very nice for filming in my house. If the CX560 is kept on a wide angle it blows the TM900 out of the water in low light performance. I've decided. I'll be sending this TM900 back very soon.

I'd still need to shoot some outdoor video, but I think I'm done sweating what camcorder I'm going to use in April for our trip. Thank guys for givin me the idea to try this camcorder!
Old 03-20-2011, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks Ed.

Anyone can post in my thread, I only put my on it as I did not wish to be the Official 560 thread since it's not my forum.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Oh wow! Thanks for that Moviemaker! I just gave my CX560 a try before watching your video. I did the same thing as you and zoomed in on my dog. I notice that the video gets dark pretty fast when you zoom, the TM900 stays brighter when I zoom but with much more noise.

I REALLY like the wider angle lens on this CX560. Very nice for filming in my house. If the CX560 is kept on a wide angle it blows the TM900 out of the water in low light performance. I've decided. I'll be sending this TM900 back very soon.

I'd still need to shoot some outdoor video, but I think I'm done sweating what camcorder I'm going to use in April for our trip. Thank guys for givin me the idea to try this camcorder!

I shot this video of my dog Besty today outside.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpmo77v75EQ
Old 03-20-2011, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplestinger View Post

Moviemaker, is it possible for you to shoot in the 24P of your dog with zooming and panning and up load it to Vimeo? I'd like to see the quality at that (FULL) Frame rate. Thanks in advance.

PS..... I prefer 24P over everything, probably because I love Film and have an old school mentality. However 30P and 60P are very nice too.
purplestinger

I will see what I can do.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did a similar video with the TM900 and it's not worth posting. For low light Sony is king until we see how well the Canon's do when they come out sometime in the future.
You are getting dark but clear video, I am just getting noise like looking through a dirty screen door.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cebu View Post

I did a similar video with the TM900 and it's not worth posting. For low light Sony is king until we see how well the Canon's do when they come out sometime in the future.
You are getting dark but clear video, I am just getting noise like looking through a dirty screen door.

I just hope the Canons do get here, I have a 60D&7D so I am a Canon person also.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:

I just hope the Canons do get here, I have a 60D&7D so I am a Canon person also.

I looked in the menu to make sure I was shooting at 1080p/60 and HQ enable. Somehow I disabled iAuto and can't get it turned back on. My LCD shows iAuto "off" in the right lower corner. How do I re-enable that? Is that disabled while shooting in 1080p/60?

Also, I noticed the option for "x.v.Color" in the image quality settings. It is disabled by default. The description says "Record in wider color gamut with x.v.Color". Is it recommended to turn that on?

Looks like I'm going to have to pull out the manual
Old 03-20-2011, 08:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked: 1645
Quote:

Also, I noticed the option for "x.v.Color" in the image quality settings. It is disabled by default. The description says "Record in wider color gamut with x.v.Color". Is it recommended to turn that on?

Not unless you have an xv capable display and even then it falls outside of the specs for HD.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They told me yesterday they still have a restocking fee. So maybe the guy at Best Buy was incorrect?

Too bad Costco doesn't sell these. They have an awesome return policy it's like 90 days on camcorders and cameras no questions asked.

Just for the record so people know for sure:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20026140-17.html

As of the end of the December, there isn't any type of restocking fee except for special orders. That's chain wide.

Back on topic....

I just used my camera for the first time today at an event at our house but I haven't been able to check out the footage yet. Seemed to go smooth as far as using the camera and I liked how the face detection seemed to try to counter the light coming through the windows. What I had trouble with was the zooming. It just seemed to ramp up really fast at how quickly it was zooming. A lot different than my previous Sony camcorder which was really old now.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknight View Post

I just used my camera for the first time today at an event at our house but I haven't been able to check out the footage yet. Seemed to go smooth as far as using the camera and I liked how the face detection seemed to try to counter the light coming through the windows. What I had trouble with was the zooming. It just seemed to ramp up really fast at how quickly it was zooming. A lot different than my previous Sony camcorder which was really old now.

I noticed the same thing when I used it. Isn't there a setting to allow variable zoom rather than step zooming? There must be.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:58 AM

Quote:

I noticed the same thing when I used it. Isn't there a setting to allow variable zoom rather than step zooming? There must be.

page 36 cx560v handbook

You can set [Digital Zoom] if you want to zoom
to a greater level.

Page 81

You can select the maximum zoom level.
Note that the image quality decreases when
you use the digital zoom.

The zooming zone appears when you set the
maximum zoom level.

Off
Up to 14× zoom is performed.
On
Up to 120× zoom is performed digitally

You can magnify images up to 10 times using
optical zooming, unless [ SteadyShot] is set
to [Active].
Old 03-21-2011, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed lynn View Post

page 36 cx560v handbook

You can set [Digital Zoom] if you want to zoom
to a greater level.

Page 81

You can select the maximum zoom level.
Note that the image quality decreases when
you use the digital zoom.

The zooming zone appears when you set the
maximum zoom level.

Off
Up to 14× zoom is performed.
On
Up to 120× zoom is performed digitally

You can magnify images up to 10 times using
optical zooming, unless [ SteadyShot] is set
to [Active].

So can you set it for variable zoom or is it going to zoom a bit then Jump! a large amount each time? I really don't know having only used the camera twice. I like a smooth and slow zoom or a speedier zoom depending, but a step zoom is so early 1980's.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
For anyone using a Mac, what is your workflow to get video onto Vimeo in full format? I converted my footage to 1080p .mov files using a video converter, but then when editing in iMovie only had the option to spit out a 720p flick. I am uploading that now to Vimeo for my families to see, but wondered what else I can do so you guys can see the original footage. The .MTS files are quite big. I set white balance. Everything else is on Auto.

Basketball game at 720p
Old 03-21-2011, 12:41 PM

BTW, I coach, so I didn't do the filming. The person doing it did not zoom or anything special. I haven't watched the original clips on my 1080p tv yet.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:44 PM

Very nice!!

purplestinger
Old 03-21-2011, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know if a good but minimalistic bag for this camera? Something that I can fit in like a backpack so I can easily pack it into something so it's easy to carry around?
Old 03-21-2011, 07:20 PM

Yes, I do. I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for, but I have been looking at lens cases. I have tried several brands and sizes. I've narrowed it down to these.

"Lowepro Lens Case 1" - CX560V fits like a glove with the stock battery (NP-FV50). You might say its a perfect fit, but might be a little snug if you have large fingers and need to remove it from the case in a hurry. The larger NP-FV70 battery will also fit but a little snug. I'm quite certain the largest battery (NP-FV100) would NOT fit or at least be too snug. This has slightly thicker padding than the Tamrac Lens Cases. Probably the perfect fit for the CX560 if you are wanting to store it inside a backpack and you don't need the NP-FV100 attached to it while stored.

"Tamrac MX5378 Lens Case" - Every so slightly larger (width and depth) than the Lowepro Lens Case 1. Just a little more wiggle so easier to remove the camcorder in a hurry, but not so much that it is wobbling loosely inside the case. It will definitely fit the larger NP-FV70 battery while attached to the camcorder and will most likely fit the NP-FV100 battery while attached o the camcorder. Will also fit the the Manfrotto 200PL-14 Quick Release Plate (used for quick attachment/release to Manfrotto tripod/monopod heads) attached to the base of the camcorder. Probably the perfect fit to wear on a belt for easy access and quick removal.

"Lowepro Lens Case 2S" - Larger than the above. Would definitely fit the largest NP-FV100 battery and a wide angle lens hood attached to the front and a quick release plate attached to the base of the camcorder. All this and still room to spare. Too much side-to-side wiggle room for me.

"Tamrac MX5380 Lens Case" - Almost the same size as the Lowepro 2S. Padding not quite as good as the Lowepro. No reason to buy this case really.

I tried the "Mountainsmith Lens Case LC3". What a wonderful case. Better build quality than the Lowepro or the Tamrac lens cases, but this model was too large. It was even much too large for the Panasonic TM900. I'd love to try out the LC2 model, but I'm growing weary of ordering and returning lens cases.

For what its worth, it is very hard to choose a proper case based on the specs/interior dimensions listed on the internet. I have found they are not very accurate measurements. Especially the Tamrac and Mountainsmith specs are way off.

I ordered an inexpensive belt from strapworks.com at ~$3: http://www.strapworks.com/Side_Relea...p/srbb112l.htm

I plan to run the belt through the belt loop on one of these lens cases and I can wear it over the shoulder or "fanny pack" style on my hip.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-21-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I ordered an inexpensive belt from strapworks.com at ~$3: http://www.strapworks.com/Side_Relea...p/srbb112l.htm

I plan to run the belt through the belt loop on one of these lens cases and I can wear it over the shoulder or "fanny pack" style on my hip.

Hope this helps!
I am using camcorder strap to carry my sony xr550 and also panny tm700. both straps were from my old sony minidv and video8 camcorders. I plan to get a sony cx700. So I went ahead and order a camcorder strap from amazon the other day.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ECB4EK
Old 03-21-2011, 07:36 PM

Just FYI guys. Amazon now has the CX560 in stock. Amazon has a full 30 day return policy. Free Shipping. No sales tax. Will pay for return shipping. You might have to select "defective" for them to pay for return shipping but I'm not sure (I know for sure they will if its defective). I have been buying various items on amazon for years. Fast shipping, often the best prices, and easy returns. No hassles. For something as expensive as a camcorder I'd just make sure it is being sold by "amazon". As you may know other retailers sell on amazon. I've never had a problem with them either, but if I think I might need to return something I make sure it's sold by amazon since they have about the best return policy around.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:05 PM

I just watched the movie directly from the camera and I have to say that the focusing on the players was quite "soft". I am not sure what to make of this. I know I was at quite the wide angle (in order to get all of the plays/play), but even when you look at the people close to the camera (as we pan to watch the game), their faces are out of focus. not sure why this cam is doing this.

i also saw the slow focus issue a bit when panning and then trying to regain focus when stopping the camera. overall i am pretty happy with how it performed in the lighting conditions, but the soft focus thing has me perplexed.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErLupo View Post
I just watched the movie directly from the camera and I have to say that the focusing on the players was quite "soft". I am not sure what to make of this. I know I was at quite the wide angle (in order to get all of the plays/play), but even when you look at the people close to the camera (as we pan to watch the game), their faces are out of focus. not sure why this cam is doing this.

i also saw the slow focus issue a bit when panning and then trying to regain focus when stopping the camera. overall i am pretty happy with how it performed in the lighting conditions, but the soft focus thing has me perplexed.
Your video looks good. I think the person taking the video is watching the game, rather than concentrating on video recordering the basketball game.

Same thing happened to me last week, when I was taking video of indoor acrobatic performance. Very hard to watch the performance and taking video at same time. Video came out good or not, I was able to record the memories.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I do. I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for, but I have been looking at lens cases. I have tried several brands and sizes. I've narrowed it down to these.

"Lowepro Lens Case 1" - CX560V fits like a glove with the stock battery (NP-FV50). You might say its a perfect fit, but might be a little snug if you have large fingers and need to remove it from the case in a hurry. The larger NP-FV70 battery will also fit but a little snug. I'm quite certain the largest battery (NP-FV100) would NOT fit or at least be too snug. This has slightly thicker padding than the Tamrac Lens Cases. Probably the perfect fit for the CX560 if you are wanting to store it inside a backpack and you don't need the NP-FV100 attached to it while stored.

"Tamrac MX5378 Lens Case" - Every so slightly larger (width and depth) than the Lowepro Lens Case 1. Just a little more wiggle so easier to remove the camcorder in a hurry, but not so much that it is wobbling loosely inside the case. It will definitely fit the larger NP-FV70 battery while attached to the camcorder and will most likely fit the NP-FV100 battery while attached o the camcorder. Will also fit the the Manfrotto 200PL-14 Quick Release Plate (used for quick attachment/release to Manfrotto tripod/monopod heads) attached to the base of the camcorder. Probably the perfect fit to wear on a belt for easy access and quick removal.

"Lowepro Lens Case 2S" - Larger than the above. Would definitely fit the largest NP-FV100 battery and a wide angle lens hood attached to the front and a quick release plate attached to the base of the camcorder. All this and still room to spare. Too much side-to-side wiggle room for me.

"Tamrac MX5380 Lens Case" - Almost the same size as the Lowepro 2S. Padding not quite as good as the Lowepro. No reason to buy this case really.

I tried the "Mountainsmith Lens Case LC3". What a wonderful case. Better build quality than the Lowepro or the Tamrac lens cases, but this model was too large. It was even much too large for the Panasonic TM900. I'd love to try out the LC2 model, but I'm growing weary of ordering and returning lens cases.

For what its worth, it is very hard to choose a proper case based on the specs/interior dimensions listed on the internet. I have found they are not very accurate measurements. Especially the Tamrac and Mountainsmith specs are way off.

Hope this helps!
Wow, that helps a lot! That's exactly the type of recommendations I was looking for. I know if I have it in a bigger camera bag that holds a bunch of stuff, we'll be less likely to take it along with us, but for a camera this size, if it just has a simple protective cover, we can pack it in a bag or something that we normally carry with us and it'll be on hand more often. Thanks a lot for those links. I'll have to take a closer look and see what fits best.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:04 PM

720p is the fault of the video for basketball, not ... that is so blurry I tried to take me and you see clear and sharpness!
Old 03-21-2011, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErLupo View Post

It's the same problem I had when I tested the 560 at Best Buy. I think it's just setup that way, maybe it's a result of it's low light ability? Maybe the trick Sony used to increase low light recording is affecting that softness?