post #961 of 4142 Old 04-15-2011, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHAZE View Post
Also, my G10 makes the same click noise 2-3 times and then is silent. My LCD lines up fine when closed. I was using last night on my Hague Mini Motion cam (which is AWESOME for this camera...google it) and was getting some smooth glide cam type shots.

I am liking the camera more today!

Where in the US did you find a Hague for sale? eBay?
AFAIK there are no stores here in the US that sell one of these.
I think they run at least 70 quid in the UK. So US price about $135.
Just curious how much you paid?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 4142 Old 04-15-2011, 05:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Awesome news about the little Sony, Ken. I think I am going to pick up the big brother, the HX100v as it has a Carl Zeiss 30x zoom lens and does 60p. I think its actually the same sensor as the cx700 but sounds like it does a better job processing the image.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=6ev69Wid05o

That (for overcranking purposes for slo-mo) + the canon should cover all my bases.

Have a GREAT and safe trip!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #963 of 4142 Old 04-15-2011, 06:36 AM

Hi all. I've been following this thread for a while now. thank you to all those who spent time reviewing, testing and sharing your results. With that I just preordered my G10. With all that's going on in Japan I'm sure it'll be a while before I get mine. but I don't mind, those folks are going through some rough times. Someone mentioned you can't charge the battery in the video cam thus you have to buy a separate charger. So the G10 doesn't come with a charger?

Thanks!
post #964 of 4142 Old 04-15-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cebu View Post

Where in the US did you find a Hague for sale? eBay?
AFAIK there are no stores here in the US that sell one of these.
I think they run at least 70 quid in the UK. So US price about $135.
Just curious how much you paid?
Thanks

I tried to order from EBAY, but Paypal messed me over...so I had to order it directly from their website.

http://www.b-hague.co.uk/hague_mini_...stabilizer.htm

It shipped directly from the UK and since I ordered the adaptable base plate (for my 60D) the whole order ran $189 with shipping. It works GREAT though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-one View Post

Hi all. I've been following this thread for a while now. thank you to all those who spent time reviewing, testing and sharing your results. With that I just preordered my G10. With all that's going on in Japan I'm sure it'll be a while before I get mine. but I don't mind, those folks are going through some rough times. Someone mentioned you can't charge the battery in the video cam thus you have to buy a separate charger. So the G10 doesn't come with a charger?

Thanks!

The HF G10 DOES allow you to charge the battery while in the camera via cables and a wall plug, but if you want to charge the battery without hooking up the camera, you will have to purchase that accessory. I got it from Amazon.com for $49.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-2590B002...2878342&sr=8-1

BestBuy.com had the HF G10 online, and that is how I got mine. They are sold out online now, but should be getting more soon. I pre-ordered it from Crutchfield.com, but then saw that Best Buy.com was shipping them. I received mine yesterday. I am playing with it today...so I should have more opinions later.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+...0g10&cp=1&lp=1
post #965 of 4142 Old 04-15-2011, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried to order from EBAY, but Paypal messed me over...so I had to order it directly from their website.

http://www.b-hague.co.uk/hague_mini_...stabilizer.htm

It shipped directly from the UK and since I ordered the adaptable base plate (for my 60D) the whole order ran $189 with shipping. It works GREAT though.

It costs a bit since it has to be shipped internationally. I've seen these on YouTube for a while now.
When you say adaptable base plate what exactly is that? I thought it had a weight adjustment on the bottom already? Or is this the part the camera slides on for adjusting?
post #966 of 4142 Old 04-15-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:

It costs a bit since it has to be shipped internationally. I've seen these on YouTube for a while now.
When you say adaptable base plate what exactly is that? I thought it had a weight adjustment on the bottom already? Or is this the part the camera slides on for adjusting?

Yes it was the balance correction plate that is used with DSLR cameras, since the mounting hole might be off center.

It works GREAT with the HF G10 though, and I do not use the correction plate with it.
post #967 of 4142 Old 04-15-2011, 10:20 AM

OK thank you for the clarification BigHAZE. I wish I had went through BestBuy when it was available because the rewards point would have given me some decent coupons... well better than nothing ya know.
post #968 of 4142 Old 04-15-2011, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 1091
Quote:

So when is your trip Ken? I know you've been preparing for it for a while now.
Hope you have fun. It's been many years for me but I was in Venice Italy for a week. Great Fun! I know you are going elsewehere. Italy is great and I love the food!

Steve, we're headed to the airport in about an hour. We're doing Venice, Rome & Florence.

Thanks for the well wishes.
post #969 of 4142 Old 04-15-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thank you Ken. I will try to shoot with different settings and see what I can figure out. I was shooting at 30P in manual mode, but I will try some things today. Can you recommend a setting to be in for shooting sports video? I like the "sports" mode, but I prefer the TV priority so that I can set up the high speed shutter. Should I shoot in 60i? or 30p? I know that I don't want a film mode look, so I will reserve 24p for the movie I am shooting.

Also, my G10 makes the same click noise 2-3 times and then is silent. My LCD lines up fine when closed. I was using last night on my Hague Mini Motion cam (which is AWESOME for this camera...google it) and was getting some smooth glide cam type shots.

I am liking the camera more today!

BigHAZE, if you want smooth motion, go with 60i, it's much smoother than 24p or 30p.

Yeah, the cam grows with you as you learn more about it.
post #970 of 4142 Old 04-15-2011, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

Awesome news about the little Sony, Ken. I think I am going to pick up the big brother, the HX100v as it has a Carl Zeiss 30x zoom lens and does 60p. I think its actually the same sensor as the cx700 but sounds like it does a better job processing the image.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=6ev69Wid05o

That (for overcranking purposes for slo-mo) + the canon should cover all my bases.

Have a GREAT and safe trip!

Hey Dave, just so you know, the little Sony I picked up also shoots 60p...for what's that worth after all my investigations!

Yeah, it's amazing the difference in color quality I've found with the 700/560 vs the small Sony digicam. Go figure. I really prefer the video this thing puts out than either of those dedicated Sony cams. Go figure
post #971 of 4142 Old 04-15-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Someone mentioned you can't charge the battery in the video cam thus you have to buy a separate charger. So the G10 doesn't come with a charger?

Thanks!

It does come with a charger, it's just built-in to the camera. You attach a power plug, a small brick and attach that to the camera. This is the way things are these days with most of the manufacturers. I bought a separate charger since it's easier.
post #972 of 4142 Old 04-15-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes it was the balance correction plate that is used with DSLR cameras, since the mounting hole might be off center.

It works GREAT with the HF G10 though, and I do not use the correction plate with it.

When I get back, I'd love to see a video made with that!

Gotta run guys, stay out of trouble!!
post #973 of 4142 Old 04-15-2011, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolisi View Post

Hi, I think my lcd has this little tiny problem. The LCD can move up and down a little, so it does not alline perfectly. Also it does NOT shut. I mean it seems that the lcd is NOT done to lock. It just lies over the body of the camera.
Another problem is the LCD.
I can NOT scroll up and down in some menu. For example the main menu or the White balance menu....there is a scroll up and down bar, but I can not grab it up and down. It is strange because in other menu , I can scroll up and down. For example I can scroll up and dows on the general camera settings...like for example the place where let me format the card or the memory.

Also, I hate the fact that the camera does not remember settings when I turn it of (for example the backlight compensation).
Also, just 1 quick comparison to the xr550. If I set to manual on the xr550 wb and AS, I get vibrant colors, while on the hf g10 I do not get vibrant colors....

Well I think the LCDs are a tad off when shutting, as that tiny piece of plastic on the camera doesn't align with the whole when you shut the LCD. Not a big deal if you cup the LCD when you shut it. As far as the menu goes you can custom set it up to remember those settings and the scroll was a tad slower than my Sony, but still pretty easy to use.
post #974 of 4142 Old 04-15-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Hey Dave, just so you know, the little Sony I picked up also shoots 60p...for what's that worth after all my investigations!

Yeah, it's amazing the difference in color quality I've found with the 700/560 vs the small Sony digicam. Go figure. I really prefer the video this thing puts out than either of those dedicated Sony cams. Go figure

Awesome. Safe journey to you and the missus!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #975 of 4142 Old 04-15-2011, 11:27 AM

Going to order 32gb sdhc cards for my g10. Will class 6 do or will I need to go with class 10?

thanks!

just realized they don't have a class 6 32gb card.. its more like class 4 and below. Would class 4 work for the g10 hd video?
post #976 of 4142 Old 04-15-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Going to order 32gb sdhc cards for my g10. Will class 6 do or will I need to go with class 10?

thanks!

just realized they don't have a class 6 32gb card.. its more like class 4 and below. Would class 4 work for the g10 hd video?

Canon recommends at least class 6 for best results. I use two 16GB Kingston Class 6 cards and they work great.
post #977 of 4142 Old 04-15-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Canon recommends at least class 6 for best results. I use two 16GB Kingston Class 6 cards and they work great.

On page 32 in instruction manual Canon says that you can use class 4, 6 or 10. Nowhere does it say that you should use "at least" class 6 for best results!
post #978 of 4142 Old 04-15-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzysiu View Post

On page 32 in instruction manual Canon says that you can use class 4, 6 or 10. Nowhere does it say that you should use "at least" class 6 for best results!

Ok thanks guys!
post #979 of 4142 Old 04-15-2011, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK thank you for the clarification BigHAZE. I wish I had went through BestBuy when it was available because the rewards point would have given me some decent coupons... well better than nothing ya know.

I also bought mine from Best Buy and used my rewards card. That should give me some serious points! I also saved $100 getting it from Best Buy.
post #980 of 4142 Old 04-15-2011, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Steve, we're headed to the airport in about an hour. We're doing Venice, Rome & Florence.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Well have a great trip and take lots of amazing videos!

Venice is great, I bought a handmade paperweight at a factory that makes them there. I still have it and I got that one when I was 11 years old!
My wife would love to go especially since she is Catholic. It'll still be a few years before we will have the time tho.
post #981 of 4142 Old 04-15-2011, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks!

It likely will work most of the time. It's the times it fails to work you have to worry about. Very few companies are making Class 6. The difference between Class 6 and 10 is minimal as far as manufacturing it goes.
Buy a decent Class 10 and don't look back.
post #982 of 4142 Old 04-15-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok well buy whatever class card you want then, and since memory cards are not returnable just chalk that money lost as counting towards experience.
post #983 of 4142 Old 04-15-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:

Previous Canon Vixia HF camera manuals have recommended Class 6 or higher. I realize that this manual states that 4 would work, but I would not feel comfortable recommending class 4 for HD recordings at the highest resolution. It could lead to troubles down the road for someone making a purchasing decision.

However, I realize that this manual says you could get away with a class 4...but why would you?
post #984 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 04:22 AM

Just received my G10 from B&H yesterday. Have a question for all those that have received already. Were there any protective films on the camera or maybe covering the LCD.

Mine did not and wondering if it was a return to B&H. Everything else seems to be in order in the box but this sort of struck me as unusual. Would hate to spend this just to find out it was someone else's reject.
post #985 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Previous Canon Vixia HF camera manuals have recommended Class 6 or higher. I realize that this manual states that 4 would work, but I would not feel comfortable recommending class 4 for HD recordings at the highest resolution. It could lead to troubles down the road for someone making a purchasing decision.

However, I realize that this manual says you could get away with a class 4...but why would you?
Why not? Also, the manual says that you can use class 4 memory card and not that "you could get away with it"!!!!
post #986 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Why not? Also, the manual says that you can use class 4 memory card and not that "you could get away with it"!!!!
I saw what you did there.
post #987 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treiss View Post
Just received my G10 from B&H yesterday. Have a question for all those that have received already. Were there any protective films on the camera or maybe covering the LCD.

Mine did not and wondering if it was a return to B&H. Everything else seems to be in order in the box but this sort of struck me as unusual. Would hate to spend this just to find out it was someone else's reject.
Mine was new in box shipped from Best Buy and there were no protective films on the camera.
post #988 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 05:47 AM

Can anyone recommend a good case for use with the HF G10? I have a Samsonite case that I used with my Panasonic 3CCD MiniDV camera, and it works ok...but I was wondering what others prefer specifically for the Vixia line of compact camcorders.
post #989 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treiss View Post

I have the xa10 no protective films on it and in the manual It didn't recommend one on the LCD because it might not work correctly. My camera had a piece of white foam around it wrapped in bubble wrap.
post #990 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Can anyone recommend a good case for use with the HF G10? I have a Samsonite case that I used with my Panasonic 3CCD MiniDV camera, and it works ok...but I was wondering what others prefer specifically for the Vixia line of compact camcorders.
Pelican case (model 1200). This is the only way to "fly" for me.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page