Canon HF G10, XA10, XF100, XF105 Owners Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is why I don't buy at these places that offer return policies; when i buy something I want it to be brand spanking new, not something someone else has used
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 06:14 AM

I am looking for a true comparison in dynamic range/latitude between the HF G10 and SD600/TM700/SD700 models.

I have a Panasonic SD600 which have great detail but easily overexposes for example birds or swans that get excessively bright in sun light. I am wondering if the HF G10 will be significantly better at handling this due to it's superior sensor?

The HF G10 is quite expensive so i need evidence that it is truly superior in this regard.

Does anyone have any special settings for the SD600 which is essentially stripped down TM700 that improves Dynamic Range i have tried the intelligent contrast setting but it's not effective enough.
post #993 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 06:59 AM

Thanks Bighaze

Struck me as odd but if no one else had it, guess it is fine. Just starting to play this morning. I read that the scroll bar on the LCD menus is cumbersome but it seems impossible to get you finger just right to scroll. Seems to jump around a lot and is sometimes unresponsive. But if you find that perfect spot, works fine. Anyone got any hints or tricks
post #994 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion_400
I am looking for a true comparison in dynamic range/latitude between the HF G10 and SD600/TM700/SD700 models.

I have a Panasonic SD600 which have great detail but easily overexposes for example birds or swans that get excessively bright in sun light. I am wondering if the HF G10 will be significantly better at handling this due to it's superior sensor?

The HF G10 is quite expensive so i need evidence that it is truly superior in this regard.

Does anyone have any special settings for the SD600 which is essentially stripped down TM700 that improves Dynamic Range i have tried the intelligent contrast setting but it's not effective enough.
Hi fusion, I don't have the panny but my Sony often does the same thing. I always have my AE set for -1 or -2. Helps.
post #995 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 09:29 AM

I took my G10 out for it's first real field test yesterday. The first couple of sequences are at the beach, but the real test came when I went to the harbor where I had taken my TM700 a few weeks ago. I noticed a much better tolerance for handling sharp contrasts, picking up better shadow detail & color against glaring backgrounds, etc. So far, the camera seems to be living up to it's claims.
http://vimeo.com/22463884

Here are frame grabs from the 'tunnel' shot. The TM700 image is totally blown out and shows less interior detail than the G10 shot.
post #996 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 10:07 AM

Yeh, however the TM700 shot definitely looks sharper!
post #997 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Huntley View Post

Yeh, however the TM700 shot definitely looks sharper!

Yes the picture also seems to be more washed out on HF G10 kinda like when i use the intelligent contrast mode on my SD600 to increase dynamic range.

But there is definately big difference in dynamic range on the HF G10.
post #998 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Unless these were shot locked off on a tripod you can't compare sharpness. Any movement of the cameras handheld would show some motion blur. Especially with the canon at 30fps.
And even if the canon is washed out you could easily fix that in editing with a basic "S" type color curve. What you could NOT do with the panny footage is recover any of the massively blown out image of the background through the tunnel.
post #999 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post

I took my G10 out for it's first real field test yesterday. The first couple of sequences are at the beach, but the real test came when I went to the harbor where I had taken my TM700 a few weeks ago. I noticed a much better tolerance for handling sharp contrasts, picking up better shadow detail & color against glaring backgrounds, etc. So far, the camera seems to be living up to it's claims.

Here are frame grabs from the 'tunnel' shot. The TM700 image is totally blown out and shows less interior detail than the G10 shot.

Arrived here about 5 hours ago and exhausted. Dave, that's an even better example of the greater exposure latitude of the Canon than the A/Bs I posted. Nice.
post #1000 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'll bet it's beautiful there, Ken. Have a blast!
post #1001 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Have you tried to activate the backlight compensation on both cameras ?
This is a video that should have taken using that feature....I noticed that on the panasonic hs350, when activating that feature on, u could have geat shoots with strong backlight....you should compare the same shot using on both camer the backlight compaensation...

thank you for the test and uploading the video
post #1002 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:

I actually prefer TM700 image.
Until you posted these two grabs, i thought that G10 is better than this.
post #1003 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got a chance to try out my new HF G10. It was defective right out of the box. Jello-vision on the edges whenever the camera moves in a pan slow or fast. Some objects it will NOT focus on especially if you zoom in.
Some things will go in and out of focus that are stationary. It's definitely defective and is going back on Sunday and I will reorder another one.

That said I do have some observations that might or might not change when I get a replacement.
The HF G10 is really amazing in low light, it's auto mode does brighten things up a bit too much but you can live with it. If I manually crank up the gain I can go as high as 24dB and I do not get a screen door effect unless it's really dark like you'd use IR for. 24dB isn't a good choice but it makes a point that in low light this cam rocks!

Now in bright light and with motion it is not as good as the TM900 I had. There are differences and they are noticeable. The TM900 has more dynamic color and it clearly handles motion better and it's more vibrant as well. the 3MOS sensor is great in bright light. The 60i is not in the same league when it comes to real motion.
Too many static shots on Vimeo and YouTube, get some real fast motion and you'll see the TM900 wins against the Canon.

However since 50% of what I do is indoors and low light the Canon wins because the TM900 cannot work for squat indoors.
Outside the Canon is really good, motion for me is ok, even good but not great. Battery life on the HF G10 is dismal with the stock battery and it's OIS is defective probably so I can't comment on that but if it isn't defective then it also isn't as good as the Panny.

I think that for most people who have to compromise the Canon is the better choice overall. If you just shoot in bright light the TM900 is better.
I have my TM900 videos and I will try and get similar videos to compare if the weather ever turns blue sky again.
But with the jello-vision there is no point. The rolling shutter issue was there from the moment I turned on the camera.

I'm sure Ken will say I'm trying to find things wrong, but I call it as I see it. My wife even prefers the TM900, BUT BUT BUT this camera is defective by any standards so maybe when I get a replacement it will be better, I hope so.

For bright light I will wait until the TM900 drops and grab one when the sale price is right. For everyday the Canon does a lot well.
Oh and in case anyone was wondering. The still pics the Canon takes are so awful they should have saved the space and left the button off the camera!

Canon has a very confusing non-intuitive menu system. A lot of time has been spent RTFM. The Panny was very very easy compared.

Hope you are having a great time in Italy Ken.
post #1004 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cebu View Post

Got a chance to try out my new HF G10. It was defective right out of the box. Jello-vision on the edges whenever the camera moves in a pan slow or fast. Some objects it will NOT focus on especially if you zoom in.
Some things will go in and out of focus that are stationary. It's definitely defective and is going back on Sunday and I will reorder another one.

That said I do have some observations that might or might not change when I get a replacement.
The HF G10 is really amazing in low light, it's auto mode does brighten things up a bit too much but you can live with it. If I manually crank up the gain I can go as high as 24dB and I do not get a screen door effect unless it's really dark like you'd use IR for. 24dB isn't a good choice but it makes a point that in low light this cam rocks!

Now in bright light and with motion it is not as good as the TM900 I had. There are differences and they are noticeable. The TM900 has more dynamic color and it clearly handles motion better and it's more vibrant as well. the 3MOS sensor is great in bright light. The 60i is not in the same league when it comes to real motion.
Too many static shots on Vimeo and YouTube, get some real fast motion and you'll see the TM900 wins against the Canon.

However since 50% of what I do is indoors and low light the Canon wins because the TM900 cannot work for squat indoors.
Outside the Canon is really good, motion for me is ok, even good but not great. Battery life on the HF G10 is dismal with the stock battery and it's OIS is defective probably so I can't comment on that but if it isn't defective then it also isn't as good as the Panny.

I think that for most people who have to compromise the Canon is the better choice overall. If you just shoot in bright light the TM900 is better.
I have my TM900 videos and I will try and get similar videos to compare if the weather ever turns blue sky again.
But with the jello-vision there is no point. The rolling shutter issue was there from the moment I turned on the camera.

I'm sure Ken will say I'm trying to find things wrong, but I call it as I see it. My wife even prefers the TM900, BUT BUT BUT this camera is defective by any standards so maybe when I get a replacement it will be better, I hope so.

For bright light I will wait until the TM900 drops and grab one when the sale price is right. For everyday the Canon does a lot well.
Oh and in case anyone was wondering. The still pics the Canon takes are so awful they should have saved the space and left the button off the camera!

Canon has a very confusing non-intuitive menu system. A lot of time has been spent RTFM. The Panny was very very easy compared.

Steve, we need to talk offline or PM possibly. I noticed today that when I was shooting some basketball footage panning around...I saw what you described as "Jello Vision". I didn't know how to describe it, but I saw the same thing and was disappointed. If you rotate the camera in the slightest, you get this "wobbly" effect. Please tell me if I need to return this as a defect, or if you think that they will ALL act this way. Your advice will be MUCH appreciated, because I thought I was going crazy until I saw your post.

Thanks.
post #1005 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 05:14 PM

I shot some quick footage with my new HF G10 and a Hague Mini Motion Cam today. Although I SUCK at using them both, I thought the footage turned out kinda like what you see on MTV Cribs. I parked my car in a lot and shot some quick panning video and put it to music.

I know it sucks....but I was trying to be funny.

Check it out and watch it in 720P if you can for best results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BswsAscQIY4

post #1006 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHAZE View Post

Steve, we need to talk offline or PM possibly. I noticed today that when I was shooting some basketball footage panning around...I saw what you described as "Jello Vision". I didn't know how to describe it, but I saw the same thing and was disappointed. If you rotate the camera in the slightest, you get this "wobbly" effect. Please tell me if I need to return this as a defect, or if you think that they will ALL act this way. Your advice will be MUCH appreciated, because I thought I was going crazy until I saw your post.

Thanks.

Yeah that's it it's a weird wobbly effect like the edges are made of clear jello. It's offputting to say the least and IMO it's defective. It's called Rolling shutter and CMOS sensors will do this, usually under moderate to heavy vibration. My GoPro did this really bad when I attached it to my snowblower.
Here is a video of extreme jellovison. Not my snowblower btw!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCl6SqLXN-k

Now when mounted directly on a vibrating engine this can happen. But just standing in your living room?! No way! I think some units are defective and mine and yours are needing to be replaced.
post #1007 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I shot some quick footage with my new HF G10 and a Hague Mini Motion Cam today. Although I SUCK at using them both, I thought the footage turned out kinda like what you see on MTV Cribs. I parked my car in a lot and shot some quick panning video and put it to music.

Really fast but smooth panning. The Hague is a nice unit too bad they don't sell it here. They actually make a lot of great stuff like a electric pan and tilt and a suction mount that looks very good as well.
post #1008 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:

Really fast but smooth panning. The Hague is a nice unit too bad they don't sell it here. They actually make a lot of great stuff like a electric pan and tilt and a suction mount that looks very good as well.

I am in the USA and I ordered it directly from Hague's site in the UK. It cost about $186 shipped with the correction plate that I needed for my Canon 60D. You can get it on EBAY, but I didn't want to use the CABAL known as PayPal.

It works really good and is not as expensive as the glidecam stuff.
post #1009 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:

Yeah that's it it's a weird wobbly effect like the edges are made of clear jello. It's offputting to say the least and IMO it's defective. It's called Rolling shutter and CMOS sensors will do this, usually under moderate to heavy vibration. My GoPro did this really bad when I attached it to my snowblower.
Here is a video of extreme jellovison. Not my snowblower btw!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCl6SqLXN-k

Now when mounted directly on a vibrating engine this can happen. But just standing in your living room?! No way! I think some units are defective and mine and yours are needing to be replaced.

I will post my video footage and you can tell me if you see the distortion that I see, and if it is normal.

Thank you
post #1010 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am in the USA and I ordered it directly from Hague's site in the UK. It cost about $186 shipped with the correction plate that I needed for my Canon 60D. You can get it on EBAY, but I didn't want to use the CABAL known as PayPal.

It works really good and is not as expensive as the glidecam stuff.

Quote:

I will post my video footage and you can tell me if you see the distortion that I see, and if it is normal.

Thank you

Thanks Paypal isn't an issue for me. I just might get one once I sort out the camcorder.

Sure send the footage but it will probably look just like what mine does.
If it's defective it's best to return it.
post #1011 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

I'm so glad I got the xa10 and starting to think it may be a litte better made than the g10 from what I'm reading. I love the xa10 compared to the panny 900. And compared to the sonys and other panny I have had It rocks in low light, bright light, and in fast motion. For me and others that have the xa10s there great. I wish my bestbuy stocked a g10 I'd get one just to compare. I have had enough of these cameras to compare and test now and the only down fall on my xa10 is the touch screen and I'm getting used to it and now that I figured out more of the menu stuff I need to get to in manual mode it is faster to get to and adjust on the fly. For my eyes on my plasma and LCD tv's the xa10 is so smooth, sharp and has great colors. I'm just glad this camera is working for me and I hope people have as much luck with this one as I have so far.

Quote:

post #1012 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:

You should see the "related" videos after you play yours.. lol

Thanks for sharing the Hague shots.. does sound like it takes some practice. I went with a Hague clone called Lensse Midx.. hopefully it'll be ok.
post #1013 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Arrived here about 5 hours ago and exhausted. Dave, that's an even better example of the greater exposure latitude of the Canon than the A/Bs I posted. Nice.

Ken, only an advise, when you are on vacation, that is exactly what it means, vacation!!!!!!, put your mind into the enjoyment and forget about the forum, enjoy, shoot good video and forget about this thread for now. You'll have plenty of time to tell us about your experiences, but do shoot a lot of video dammit !!!!

Luidoly
post #1014 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 09:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolisi View Post

Have you tried to activate the backlight compensation on both cameras ?
This is a video that should have taken using that feature....I noticed that on the panasonic hs350, when activating that feature on, u could have geat shoots with strong backlight....you should compare the same shot using on both camer the backlight compaensation...

thank you for the test and uploading the video

Marcolisi, you're better off using your exposure or iris setting for strong backlit conditions. This way you can dial in just the right amount of exposure compensation rather than a preset amount determined by the manufacturer.
post #1015 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 09:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lekom View Post

I actually prefer TM700 image.
Until you posted these two grabs, i thought that G10 is better than this.

This shot was shown by the poster to show the better exposure latitude of the Canon and it clearly does show that. For questions about sharpness, you can see my posted A/Bs that also show the Canon to be at least as sharp in moving video, if not sharper. But some people may prefer a different image for other reasons.
post #1016 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 10:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Steve, sorry to hear about your defective cam, hopefully the next one is better. Obviously I disagree with you regarding the overall outdoor video quality, as I tend to prefer the Canon image. But I don't do the kind of videos you do, so for my purposes the Canon image is better. I really like the overall image quality and the better exposure latitude in bright light, but we all see things differently.

I haven't noticed the jello vision and I can't seem to recall the reviewers mentioning it, but again I tend not to do whip pans or the like. I believe that all these cams have rolling shutters, so I guess under the right circumstances they'll all show it in varying degrees since it's a byproduct of this kind of shutter.

The poor still PQ is pretty well known and mentioned in reviews. It's a byproduct of having a sensor specifically designed for video. Frankly, I never use videocameras for still pix regardless of the cam, but I guess some may. For those this is not the best camera.

Well, on to the Coliseum!
post #1017 of 4142 Old 04-16-2011, 10:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luidoly View Post

Ken, only an advise, when you are on vacation, that is exactly what it means, vacation!!!!!!, put your mind into the enjoyment and forget about the forum, enjoy, shoot good video and forget about this thread for now. You'll have plenty of time to tell us about your experiences, but do shoot a lot of video dammit !!!!

Luidoly

Yeah, you're right, but for me this is fun too!

Biggest problem in Italy thus far, no signal on my IPhone. Thought that worked here. Oh well.
post #1018 of 4142 Old 04-17-2011, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gso125 View Post

I'm so glad I got the xa10 and starting to think it may be a litte better made than the g10 from what I'm reading. I love the xa10 compared to the panny 900. And compared to the sonys and other panny I have had It rocks in low light, bright light, and in fast motion. For me and others that have the xa10s there great. I wish my bestbuy stocked a g10 I'd get one just to compare. I have had enough of these cameras to compare and test now and the only down fall on my xa10 is the touch screen and I'm getting used to it and now that I figured out more of the menu stuff I need to get to in manual mode it is faster to get to and adjust on the fly. For my eyes on my plasma and LCD tv's the xa10 is so smooth, sharp and has great colors. I'm just glad this camera is working for me and I hope people have as much luck with this one as I have so far.

I think most touch screens are gimmicks. The HF G10 isn't very good and hard to scroll. Most camcorders aren't any better. Supposedly the HF G10 is the same as the XA10 in almost everyway.
This one is defective for certain. I took a video of my wife who was practicing facial expressions and the rolling shutter was clearly visible on the edges.
It goes back to Best Buy later today. No question I will buy another. Low light is excellent.
post #1019 of 4142 Old 04-17-2011, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Steve, sorry to hear about your defective cam, hopefully the next one is better. Obviously I disagree with you regarding the overall outdoor video quality, as I tend to prefer the Canon image. But I don't do the kind of videos you do, so for my purposes the Canon image is better. I really like the overall image quality and the better exposure latitude in bright light, but we all see things differently.

I haven't noticed the jello vision and I can't seem to recall the reviewers mentioning it, but again I tend not to do whip pans or the like. I believe that all these cams have rolling shutters, so I guess under the right circumstances they'll all show it in varying degrees since it's a byproduct of this kind of shutter.

The poor still PQ is pretty well known and mentioned in reviews. It's a byproduct of having a sensor specifically designed for video. Frankly, I never use videocameras for still pix regardless of the cam, but I guess some may. For those this is not the best camera.

Well, on to the Coliseum!

Glad you are enjoying your trip Ken. This camera is defective. I have seen a ton of videos and not one had rolling shutter on the edges and these are not whip pans these are me hand holding the camera on my wife who is practicing her acting ability usually with comic results.
I've tried all sorts of camcorders over the years and never seen anything this pathetic. I guess I just got a bad one.
We dod disagree about the PQ but for me the vibrancy is not there outdoors, but we haven't had any truely bright sunny days. Today there is some sun so I will take some video on my way to return it.
No way you should have rolling shutter problems with a static shot.
The wobble is just on the edges.

I tried the snapshot ability just to see how bad it is. It's awful, very grainy and looks like a less than 1MP shot. My wifes iPod takes better pictures. in fact my 3 year old cell phone takes about the same type of crappy pics.
I don't use a camcorder for stills so it was just to see how it looked.
I''m hoping Costco get the Canon S95, I'd love to have one of those cheap. Hate the popup flash tho.

Enjoy your trip.
post #1020 of 4142 Old 04-17-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:

I think most touch screens are gimmicks. The HF G10 isn't very good and hard to scroll. Most camcorders aren't any better. Supposedly the HF G10 is the same as the XA10 in almost everyway.
This one is defective for certain. I took a video of my wife who was practicing facial expressions and the rolling shutter was clearly visible on the edges.
It goes back to Best Buy later today. No question I will buy another. Low light is excellent.

Instead of always complaining about everything and every camcorder that you have tried over past few weeks show us the PROOF of "rolling shutter" by posting a video of the "defect" on YouTube or Vimeo. Maybe your filming technique leaves something to be desired...
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page