Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 4142 Old 04-01-2011, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

If it is not shipped free and you have to pay taxes it is never a good purchase, no matter how much (or little) it costs.

Taxes I agree on. $20 shipping... bah....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4142 Old 04-01-2011, 01:56 PM

Hi all

Got home earlier today and went directly to B&H site, long and behold there it was in stock the XA10 !!!! Was with a Backorder sticker last nite. Immediately went thru the online order, since they close early on Fridays, so I could not talk to anyone, but it went thru like a flash and I got an E-Mail with a confirmation # for the order, ETA or Delivery 4/5/11.

I don't know if it was luck, or the fact I have an account with them or they are only trickling in slowly, but it went thru without a hitch.
I went back to the site like about 45 min later and it showed backordered again, the FX105 was also in stock, I don't know about the HFG10.

This is not an April's Fool day crap, it is real.

Keep you posted, will verify on Sunday when they open again.

Thanks,
Luidoly ;D
post #93 of 4142 Old 04-01-2011, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 1077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

If it is not shipped free and you have to pay taxes it is never a good purchase, no matter how much (or little) it costs.

Except if you really want the product, it's in very scarce supply and you might not see it again in stock for awhile. People's needs differ.
post #94 of 4142 Old 04-01-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErichGS View Post

Already sold out at B&H

And that is precisely why I said, it's a small price to pay for shipping. Sometimes it pays not to be short-sighted. I predicted it would be sold out within 24 hours, I was off by about 20 hours. This is one hot product gentlemen.
post #95 of 4142 Old 04-01-2011, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gso125 View Post

I like the infared ability at night and the ability to take off the handle when I go to parks like disney it won't so be bulky. I also like I can add a external mic that (I thought one came with it but it doesn't) I'll check it out first then get a good one and a external light too. Any suggestion on mics and lights.

Yeah, this is a model that can change clothes from 'consumer' to more professional. I can't recall seeing a design quite like that, very clever.
post #96 of 4142 Old 04-01-2011, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Except if you really want the product, it's in very scarce supply and you might not see it again in stock for awhile. People's needs differ.

I thought that of all the people you would see sarcasm without a dorky smiley face.
post #97 of 4142 Old 04-01-2011, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErLupo View Post

Steve, are you really going to complain on $21 when the camcorder costs 2k?

Yeah I am, I just had an emergency room visit with NO insurance, that's gonna drain me at least $3k out of pocket.

Since I filmed my wife's naturalization ceremony with a Sanon 870is I think I can afford to wait until they bring the price down. There is also the extra batteries and wall charger plus SDHC cards. It's never just $21 it's $21 more than it should be. I bought the TM900 and Amazon was a PITA to get my return shipping back. They guesstimated $14 and it was $27 with the mandatory insurance. It all adds up.

Now if I was like Ken I'd next day it here.
post #98 of 4142 Old 04-01-2011, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is very true the only thing is I already missed the big event of teh year so waiting now is a non-issue. Prices will drop in a few months once supply has caught up with demand.

So did you order one Ken? Or are you sticking with the TM900?
post #99 of 4142 Old 04-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

I bought the nx5u from adorama and for ups ground it was $36 but I was shocked when it arrived the next day. I hear you Steve insurance where I work is going crazy. We just had a baby 3 months ago and when all is done he cost me $250. After July first a baby will cost me $2500 with the new plans. Stinks
post #100 of 4142 Old 04-01-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cebu View Post

Yeah I am, I just had an emergency room visit with NO insurance, that's gonna drain me at least $3k out of pocket.

Since I filmed my wife's naturalization ceremony with a Sanon 870is I think I can afford to wait until they bring the price down. There is also the extra batteries and wall charger plus SDHC cards. It's never just $21 it's $21 more than it should be. I bought the TM900 and Amazon was a PITA to get my return shipping back. They guesstimated $14 and it was $27 with the mandatory insurance. It all adds up.

Touche'
post #101 of 4142 Old 04-01-2011, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Someone help me out here...

I got another chance to pay with the XA10 today and NOWHERE did I see any kind of sharpness adjustment other than setting the camcorder to manual focus altogether. It was mentioned that there is a sharpness bias (as there is an exposure compensation) but for the life of me I cannot find it.

Problem is out of the box, the camcorder while absolutely wonderful at most everything it does, is just too over sharpened for my liking. Point it at some contrasty edges to objects, or something like text on a piece of paper, wall, box or otherwise and it looks pretty bad, as if someone used the unsharp mask in photoshop to extreme. I would like to turn this down but cannot figure out how. Anyone have access to the manual? I really want to know if this feature exists because I honestly think this camcorder is a wonderful one but unfortunately this will break the deal for me if it does not have this capability.
post #102 of 4142 Old 04-01-2011, 06:18 PM

Jay,

Is it actually in stock at Samy's? Their website still says pre-order.

A link to the manual in PDF

http://www.iusermanual.com/dm.php?pd...VmUlU0dWNHUm0=

It references sharpness on page 71. Looks like you have to be in Manual Exposure Mode to adjust sharpness.
post #103 of 4142 Old 04-01-2011, 07:52 PM

No I think they are out now.

Thanks for the manual link. Now I see where the option is. I don't think it needs to be in manual exposure though. What I think you are seeing as 'manual' is that there is a slider switch on the side of the camcorder enabling you to choose among 3 settings which really are like an 'intelligent' auto, a semi auto with a bunch of manual overrides (the one you see being refered to as 'manual'), and cinema mode.
post #104 of 4142 Old 04-01-2011, 07:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So did you order one Ken? Or are you sticking with the TM900?

Yup, I ordered one. May the best cam win. The best cam wins a trip to Italy!
post #105 of 4142 Old 04-01-2011, 07:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Three units on their way to you Steve. Should arrive by Monday.
post #106 of 4142 Old 04-01-2011, 08:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay968 View Post

Someone help me out here...

I got another chance to pay with the XA10 today and NOWHERE did I see any kind of sharpness adjustment other than setting the camcorder to manual focus altogether. It was mentioned that there is a sharpness bias (as there is an exposure compensation) but for the life of me I cannot find it.

Problem is out of the box, the camcorder while absolutely wonderful at most everything it does, is just too over sharpened for my liking. Point it at some contrasty edges to objects, or something like text on a piece of paper, wall, box or otherwise and it looks pretty bad, as if someone used the unsharp mask in photoshop to extreme. I would like to turn this down but cannot figure out how. Anyone have access to the manual? I really want to know if this feature exists because I honestly think this camcorder is a wonderful one but unfortunately this will break the deal for me if it does not have this capability.

Jay, if you don't know Canons, it can be a bit tricky. You need to go in to the "Image Effects". One of the selections there is called 'custom' (as I recall). In that menu you'll find sharpness, color, contrast & brightness. But if you haven't seen the cam's output on an HDTV, it may not really be over-sharpened, it may be just the appearance in the VF or LCD.
post #107 of 4142 Old 04-01-2011, 09:03 PM

Thanks Ken. Yes I downloaded the manual and now I see it.

I have viewed on my 46" Bravia. I have used my own card which I brought home and was able to view through my Panny blu-ray player.

I think dialing down the sharpness is all that needs to be done to fix this issue. I have had to do this with several camcorders and see no reason why it shouldn't do the trick with this one.

May want to dial down the saturation a bit too. Colors are incredibly accurate but maybe a tad too intense. We'll see.
post #108 of 4142 Old 04-02-2011, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have viewed on my 46" Bravia. I have used my own card which I brought home and was able to view through my Panny blu-ray player.

I think dialing down the sharpness is all that needs to be done to fix this issue. I have had to do this with several camcorders and see no reason why it shouldn't do the trick with this one.

May want to dial down the saturation a bit too. Colors are incredibly accurate but maybe a tad too intense. We'll see.

Ah, OK, didn't realize you did that. I'm hoping that's the only problem I face since, as you say, it's so easily correctable. Contrary to what most people will do first with these Canons, I'll be testing its good light performance to see how it compares with the 900.
post #109 of 4142 Old 04-02-2011, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yup, I ordered one. May the best cam win. The best cam wins a trip to Italy!

Well it will be interesting to see how it compares to the TM900 and the Sony CX700. At least you've had all those cams so comparing it should be easy. My guess is the PQ in bright light will still be superior on the TM900 and the Canon will probably win on all other fronts.
post #110 of 4142 Old 04-02-2011, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Three units on their way to you Steve. Should arrive by Monday.

As long as the shipping is free.
post #111 of 4142 Old 04-02-2011, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

I've looked over the manual online for the xa-10 and was unable to find a setting for time lapse. Anyone that has this camera can it be done or is there a way to do it with out a built in setting. The panny 750 has the setting. I know on SLR cameras I would set the exposure for an hour or so. Thanks
post #112 of 4142 Old 04-02-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well it will be interesting to see how it compares to the TM900 and the Sony CX700. At least you've had all those cams so comparing it should be easy. My guess is the PQ in bright light will still be superior on the TM900 and the Canon will probably win on all other fronts.

And if that's the case, what to do, what to do.

I think it will all boil down to by what margin the 900 wins in good lighting. If it's slightly better in good light but the XA10 is significantly better than the 900 in low light, then I think the XA10 would be the better overall performer in PQ and I'd then be onboard with CCI's finding.

We shall see.
post #113 of 4142 Old 04-02-2011, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
As long as the shipping is free.
Sorry, $1.99 per unit...so not a good deal for you!
post #114 of 4142 Old 04-02-2011, 10:09 AM

I can't wait for all you mavericks to get your cams so that I can get reports of PQ and low light performance.
post #115 of 4142 Old 04-02-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:

I think it will all boil down to by what margin the 900 wins in good lighting. If it's slightly better in good light but the XA10 is significantly better than the 900 in low light, then I think the XA10 would be the better overall performer in PQ and I'd then be onboard with CCI's finding.

We shall see.
Ken how do you feel about the GH2 in low light? To use it as a benchmark, what I saw with the XA10 literally blew the GH2 out of the water. It seemed that as long as there was a bulb shining (picture 100 watts or so in a 10X10 square foot room?), the XA10 created not quite but almost noise free video. It was only when I pointed it into areas where there was so little light that it would have been difficult to read in (picture an area underneath a desk in such a room) that the grain started really showing itself. Even then, in my opinion there was nothing objectionable about the grain, but it was there and obvious.
post #116 of 4142 Old 04-02-2011, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErLupo View Post
I can't wait for all you mavericks to get your cams so that I can get reports of PQ and low light performance.

I just ordered one as the place I use locally is a wold wide company. He said there were two on a truck coming next week. I only put 10% down, the cool thing is I got(matter of speaking) the unit for $1350.00 we will see if I ever actually get it this month!
post #117 of 4142 Old 04-02-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Ken how do you feel about the GH2 in low light? To use it as a benchmark, what I saw with the XA10 literally blew the GH2 out of the water. It seemed that as long as there was a bulb shining (picture 100 watts or so in a 10X10 square foot room?), the XA10 created not quite but almost noise free video. It was only when I pointed it into areas where there was so little light that it would have been difficult to read in (picture an area underneath a desk in such a room) that the grain started really showing itself. Even then, in my opinion there was nothing objectionable about the grain, but it was there and obvious.
That's encouraging Jay, but the GH2 is a different animal with the 20mm lens. The GH2 with the standard 14-140mm lens, is decent in low light, not earth-shattering. But put on the 20mm lens and its low light is amazing. If you're telling me that the XA10 is as good or better than that configuration, I'd be amazed!

Even so, I'm really less concerned about low light with the XA10 (given the rave reviews) than I am with the good light videos...again, relative to the 900.
post #118 of 4142 Old 04-02-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
That's encouraging Jay, but the GH2 is a different animal with the 20mm lens. The GH2 with the standard 14-140mm lens, is decent in low light, not earth-shattering. But put on the 20mm lens and its low light is amazing. If you're telling me that the XA10 is as good or better than that configuration, I'd be amazed!

Even so, I'm really less concerned about low light with the XA10 (given the rave reviews) than I am with the good light videos...again, relative to the 900.
Hmmm, I have a 20 but never thought of checking it out in low light doing video. I mainly use the 20 on my GF2 and never even put it on the GH2. So my comparision is with the 14-140 and I can see your point about the potential with the 20! I'll have to try it.

At any rate, all else being equal (if it is) I would still choose the XA10 at this point based on all of the video thingys its got...LANC and electronic zoom being the most important, not to mention the audio controls, XLR inputs, etc. etc.

Just a different comment here since no one has really addressed this and I myself have pretty much ignored it in favor of all the good things about this camcorder, but one observation about the build quality of the XA10 and the fact that Canon is touting it as a pro grade camcorder. Well, in my opinion its build quality is far from pro grade. it is essentially built no differently than the HFS-21 of last year. To call it a pro grade camera is a bit of a stretch in this regard. Another thing to be aware of is that its EVF is about as poor as they come (if this is of any importance to anyone...to me it's not really). It is dull, lacking in contrast and sharpness and to call THIS pro grade is being rather optimistic. It is almost a chore to use.
post #119 of 4142 Old 04-02-2011, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We shall see.

I think it really will come down to how vibrant it is in bright light versus how much/little noise there is in low light.
It's too much hassle to carry 2 camcorders with me and 50% of what I do is indoors is relative low light.
I've seen some artifacting on the XA10 videos but those could be caused by YouTube.
post #120 of 4142 Old 04-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Do u guys thin that the hf g10 would hace the same identical picture quality of the xa10 ?

I chatted with ABT for finding out if and when the hf g10 will e shipped....it seems they do not have any idea....they will contact canon on Monday to figure that out....

I will keep u informed.
I am dying to try this camcorder I am thinking if B&H still has a xa10 to try.....I would love to try it...
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page