Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-25-2011, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hello AVS,
Juke here yet again with another question I couldn't solve myself. So I have a Canon EOS 7D using a SIGMA 18-50mm F2.8-4.5 DC OS lens. I love there camera. Love the pictures I've been taking. But, I have a bit of a problem I just can't seem to solve. I'm sure the solution is rather simple but I just couldn't figure it out for the life of me. So i'm giving AVS a shot.

I'm not sure if I worded the title right but it's the best I could do. Lets say I'm trying to take a picture of. Well, I'll just say anything in this case. There is an object closer to the camera as well as objects behind that 1st object. Question is. How would I get the image to seem clear in all areas of the image. Not only the foreground or background. The entire image. My iPhone 4 can do it so I'd image this expensive baby can do it to. Any advice?

Thanks in advanced.
Juke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-25-2011, 09:09 PM

Liked: 10
I'm no expert, but i imagine you would have to close the iris up? DSLRs produce a very shallow depth of field due to their large sensors (in other words, blurs the background).. I believe closing up the iris rather than having it fully open would help with your issue

So in other words, try an f-stop of 4.5 (rather than 2.8) and see whether that helps
post #3 of 5 Old 04-25-2011, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Huntley View Post

I'm no expert, but i imagine you would have to close the iris up? DSLRs produce a very shallow depth of field due to their large sensors (in other words, blurs the background).. I believe closing up the iris rather than having it fully open would help with your issue

So in other words, try an f-stop of 4.5 (rather than 2.8) and see whether that helps

I was doing the exact opposite. I keep forgetting that larger actually means smaller. Thanks. I'll try that out.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-25-2011, 11:56 PM

Liked: 10
You should be able to go all the way up to f/22 or so if you want the clearest picture, after that the aperture is considered closed. Keep in mind you will need a LOT of light to take that picture. You could increase the ISO, but that is not ideal.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-26-2011, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda3e87 View Post

You should be able to go all the way up to f/22 or so if you want the clearest picture, after that the aperture is considered closed. Keep in mind you will need a LOT of light to take that picture. You could increase the ISO, but that is not ideal.

Yeah. I was noticing that. I think I got used to the whole blurred background shot effect. Everything in focus just looks like crap. Idk if it's just me. But it seems to make the image look grainy. Lack of pop.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page