sony hxr-nx70u - buyers remorse??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-16-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i just bought this sony but now i'm thinking that i should;ve gotten the panasonic AG-HMC150 instead. anyone have thoughts or opinions about which would yield a better picture?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2011, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgilstarkwell View Post

i just bought this sony but now i'm thinking that i should;ve gotten the panasonic AG-HMC150 instead. anyone have thoughts or opinions about which would yield a better picture?

"Better" is in the eye of beholder. These are different cameras. The HMC150 has CCD chips, so no jello. It also may be more light sensitive than the Sony. But it has lower resolution than the Sony because of lo-res chips.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:47 PM

@virgil I just sent my NX70 back due to a n uncontrolable rocker zoom and ineffective shockmount for mic. I had really high hopes for that cam.I loved the viewfinder.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:07 AM

Hi everyone;

After many weeks of careful research, I'm almost ready to purchase the HXRNX70U. I've considered all the trade-offs and pros and cons of Sony vs Canon vs Panasonic.

The one thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger is this zoom-rocker problem. I called Sony Pro support and they acknowledge (guardedly) that the problem is real and that so far Japan has not offered a fix. Rumors abound that the source of the bug is a problem resistor, and that in March 2012 Japan will offer a firmware fix. (Why it would take 6 months for a firmware fix is bizarre and makes me wonder if the rumor is correct)

I've read different things about the feasibility of using either the supplied remote, the manual ring, or the touch-screen controls as a method getting a smooth zoom. (I have an HDR-CX550V with a zoom control that is a bit touchy, but useable after one adapts). If any of those alternates will work, I can wait for the firmware udate.

So, in addition to text responses to my above concerns, I would love it if someone who owns the HXRNX70U could please, pretty please post a sample video of the problem, and also the results of the other zoom options?

I kind of a have clock ticking - need to record a performance in 2 weeks where I will use the zoom for a slow, lingering pull-back at the end.

TIA!

Steve
Old 10-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

@ raargh. Sent mine back to many issues and I responded to your PM about it