Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 104 Old 08-31-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cebu View Post
You could have saved $500 if you had bought the G10 to begin with. I hope the M41 works out for you. They do have a thread on the M41 I believe.

No camcorder can film in the dark unless it has infrared. Maybe you should have used infrared in the babys room if there wasn't enough light. Why didn't you? That's what that mode is used for.
There is light dont get me wrong. Infrared is good for pitch dark i.e. for situations where I would have difficulty seeing whats in front of me. The situations where I have trouble with the camera is right in between. Its not that dark but there is also not enough light. With a prime lens and a crop dslr chip, there is simply very little noise. Its really okay, for those specific cases, I will just use my 30mm.

As for M41/G10/XA10, I still wouldnt get g10. If I pay $1500 for g10, i'd rather pay $500 more and get the xa10. The handle is very nice, helps me get low shots in my daughters crib which I couldnt otherwise. The mic volume control is amazing, with g10 and external mic, you cant change the volume, once you set it in menu and start recording, thats about it. Same goes for ATT. Not to mention that IR is amazing. Especially last weekend with no electricity, it helped us so much. So all that for $500 is nothing.

BUT, and thats a big but, there is a significant difference between $700 and $2000. Thats nearly 3 times the difference. For that difference I could get a canon L zoom lens. All things considered, those extras i mentioned above can be lived without for $1300, only if the image quality is good enough and the not so wide lens is wide enough. Vignetting problem m41 has is there, but i almost never zoom more than %20 anyways.

Once I get the camera I am going to take videos simultaneously in both with a lot of ambient noise, no noise, low light, outside, zooming, etc. I will also create a brand new thread in the forum and post my findings there. I have googled m41 vs g10 a lot, and so far there is no nice comparisons. If there was one, it would have been very helpful to me. I think my review might save the next guy some time and headache.

Also you mentioned thread size. Can you explain how its important? Also, G10 has NDs, M41 has none, does that make a big difference as well? Thanks a lot for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 104 Old 08-31-2011, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerStig View Post
Also, G10 has NDs, M41 has none, does that make a big difference as well?
Most HD camcorders from Canon, Panasonic and Sony have built-in ND filter, even 5-year old models.
post #93 of 104 Old 08-31-2011, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Well if you think a $700 camera is equal to a $2,000 camcorder then that's that. Most people wouldn't justify things the way you do.
But if you want a mid-ranger camcorder over the top of the line prosumer ne then go ahead but I expect you'll be happier because it's $1,300 less.

Very few people are participating in this thread because you are comparing Apples and Buicks.
post #94 of 104 Old 08-31-2011, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post
Most HD camcorders from Canon, Panasonic and Sony have built-in ND filter, even 5-year old models.

Multiple review sites say M41 have no NDs
post #95 of 104 Old 08-31-2011, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well if you think a $700 camera is equal to a $2,000 camcorder then that's that. Most people wouldn't justify things the way you do.
But if you want a mid-ranger camcorder over the top of the line prosumer ne then go ahead but I expect you'll be happier because it's $1,300 less.

Very few people are participating in this thread because you are comparing Apples and Buicks.
If there was a $1000 version with the same lens, that'd be great. I think there is a huge gap between m41 and g10. They should have something in between that has the same chip/processor/lens but doesnt have other features of g10. Problem is by getting m41, you are also giving up on image quality.
post #96 of 104 Old 08-31-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
If there was a $1000 version with the same lens, that'd be great. I think there is a huge gap between m41 and g10. They should have something in between that has the same chip/processor/lens but doesnt have other features of g10. Problem is by getting m41, you are also giving up on image quality.
Look in the mirror now say the above 3 times...Are you using this forum to talk yourself in and out of decisions? You have the XA10 and you are not happy? There is no way you will be happy with the M41 unless you just have sticker shock or buyer's remorse...it doesn't come close to the G10 or XA10...

Maybe you should look into finding a night vision adapter for your camera since you are really fixed on shooting in the dark.
post #97 of 104 Old 08-31-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushnow View Post
Look in the mirror now say the above 3 times...Are you using this forum to talk yourself in and out of decisions? You have the XA10 and you are not happy? There is no way you will be happy with the M41 unless you just have sticker shock or buyer's remorse...it doesn't come close to the G10 or XA10...

Maybe you should look into finding a night vision adapter for your camera since you are really fixed on shooting in the dark.
I have buyers remorse.

Happy?
post #98 of 104 Old 08-31-2011, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Got the M41, initial thoughts:

- Rode videomic won't fit on this camera, such a big disappointment. The shoe on the camera is just too small.

- There is no M mode in camera at all. And in Av or Tv modes, you can set the shutter speed or the aperature and once you start recording you can never change them.

- There is no BLC.

- You cannot set the AGC like you do in G10/XA10 with a slider.

- No zebras/WFMs.

- The LCD is very weird, it gets darkened easily if you look at it from a different angle. It's also far worse than the G10 in terms of sensitivity.

- Build is very cheap and plastic. If you drop this, it's gone.

So far this is what I think : if Canon can charge people $799 for a camera like this (seriously, my iphone looks much nicer in terms of overall build quality), then they should charge $3,000 for XA10, not $2,000. I'm being totally serious.

I am going to shoot some videos tonight, I want to see how it does in low light and how much I can give up with unable to configure the camera while recording.
post #99 of 104 Old 08-31-2011, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got the M41, initial thoughts:

- Rode videomic won't fit on this camera, such a big disappointment. The shoe on the camera is just too small.

- There is no M mode in camera at all. And in Av or Tv modes, you can set the shutter speed or the aperature and once you start recording you can never change them.

- There is no BLC.

- You cannot set the AGC like you do in G10/XA10 with a slider.

- No zebras/WFMs.

- The LCD is very weird, it gets darkened easily if you look at it from a different angle. It's also far worse than the G10 in terms of sensitivity.

- Build is very cheap and plastic. If you drop this, it's gone.

So far this is what I think : if Canon can charge people $799 for a camera like this (seriously, my iphone looks much nicer in terms of overall build quality), then they should charge $3,000 for XA10, not $2,000. I'm being totally serious.

I am going to shoot some videos tonight, I want to see how it does in low light and how much I can give up with unable to configure the camera while recording.

Well I sure hope you aren't surprised. I'm not. Many people have tried to tell you. How did the M41's infrared work out? I know that's a high criteria for you.
Hopefully you will find what works for you but like most other posters I'm out of this thread.
post #100 of 104 Old 08-31-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:

Well I sure hope you aren't surprised. I'm not. Many people have tried to tell you. How did the M41's infrared work out? I know that's a high criteria for you.
Hopefully you will find what works for you but like most other posters I'm out of this thread.

Me too!
post #101 of 104 Old 08-31-2011, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

I hope you keep us updated on that because I'd want to know myself if the low light capabilities will either be exactly the same or worse than the G10. It has the same chip as the G10 so that explains why Canon feels they can sell those camcorders at the prices their asking. The chip is one reason why the low light capabilities can be very similar but theirs always the possibility that the M series camcorders are using worse technology in other areas since chip size, pixels and f number are not the only things that can determine low light quality. It would still be nice to know the difference if any between the 2 camcorders.

Speaking of price, I think the M40 was selling for $550 during the time you bought the M41 although it just went up.
post #102 of 104 Old 09-01-2011, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Tried to tell me what? People here said "maybe you should get the M4X", I didnt even know about the model until I read it here. The only thing you keep telling me is how I should have gotten the G10 for $500 less and how IR isnt worth the difference and how I wasted my money on XLR. I dont know why you are getting so worked up because I disagreed with you and bought the XA10. You yourself probably went through the same thing and couldnt get it, now just because you did what did, everybody has to do the same thing.

Some people drive a cheap ford mustang made in detroit, some drive a bmw m3 made in germany. Both does 0-60 in 4.5s and quarter mile 12.7s. By your logic everyone should drive a ford?

All in all I was always nice to you and others, asked questions, and repeatedly said I wanted to learn. For example, nobody is yet to explain the importance of thread size between these cameras.

Anyways, I dont know why you kept posting if you thoughtit was waste of time. There is nothing better to do on the internet? During my google searches about cameras, I did run into some avsforum threads where you started acting like this, judgemental, undermining, and hostile and pissed the hell out of some people. Just because this guy offered his opinion about a camera based on what he read, you kept arguing how his opinion is worth nothing. So you are the forum police here and we all have to agree with you?

Door is over there ----> Show yourself out.
post #103 of 104 Old 09-01-2011, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

I hope you keep us updated on that because I'd want to know myself if the low light capabilities will either be exactly the same or worse than the G10. It has the same chip as the G10 so that explains why Canon feels they can sell those camcorders at the prices their asking. The chip is one reason why the low light capabilities can be very similar but theirs always the possibility that the M series camcorders are using worse technology in other areas since chip size, pixels and f number are not the only things that can determine low light quality. It would still be nice to know the difference if any between the 2 camcorders.

Speaking of price, I think the M40 was selling for $550 during the time you bought the M41 although it just went up.

Low light capabilities are same. In one you can adjust gain, in the other you can adjust exposure. I will write a more detailed review in a separate thread.
post #104 of 104 Old 09-01-2011, 07:14 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Tried to tell me what? People here said "maybe you should get the M4X", I didnt even know about the model until I read it here. The only thing you keep telling me is how I should have gotten the G10 for $500 less and how IR isnt worth the difference and how I wasted my money on XLR. I dont know why you are getting so worked up because I disagreed with you and bought the XA10. You yourself probably went through the same thing and couldnt get it, now just because you did what did, everybody has to do the same thing.

Some people drive a cheap ford mustang made in detroit, some drive a bmw m3 made in germany. Both does 0-60 in 4.5s and quarter mile 12.7s. By your logic everyone should drive a ford?

All in all I was always nice to you and others, asked questions, and repeatedly said I wanted to learn. For example, nobody is yet to explain the importance of thread size between these cameras.

Anyways, I dont know why you kept posting if you thoughtit was waste of time. There is nothing better to do on the internet? During my google searches about cameras, I did run into some avsforum threads where you started acting like this, judgemental, undermining, and hostile and pissed the hell out of some people. Just because this guy offered his opinion about a camera based on what he read, you kept arguing how his opinion is worth nothing. So you are the forum police here and we all have to agree with you?

Door is over there ----> Show yourself out.

Come on now. Steve and everyone else here has been more than helpful to you. Should I throw a tantrum since you didn't respond to my GH2 suggestions?
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page