Canon SX 30 is : correct Night Club settings for Video and Photos - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-14-2011, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I am an enthusiastic newbie, 1st forum post, so any help is appreciated. :-)

I am in an unusual (great) situation as through pure enthusiasm I was just hired to do Video and Photos at different Dance Clubs here in Costa Rica. I did my 1st one a week ago, was a combo day and night gig, the Video/Photos were great, but when they hit heavy Bass the sound would distort.

Currently own a Canon SX30 is, I purchased it primarily for the long zoom and combo photos and HD Video. I had a Nikon D80, great pics, but needed extra lenses and had no Video, so the all in one solution of the SX30 seemed ideal. I use it both for my Real Estate projects for Video and Photos of the surrounding countryside and Views, as well as for the club gigs.

I must stress that I have no experience changing ANY Camera settings, I leave the dial on on Auto, both for Video and Photos.

But time to get educated, so any advice is helpful.

So, here are my questions.

#1. For a darkly lit Nightclub, with no external extra lights, for the Canon SX 30 is what are the best settings for;

a) HD VIDEO
and
b) Photos

#2. I am assuming there is no solution for the sound recording "clipping" with heavy Bass in the SX30, the Sx30 has a hot show but no external Mic plug. any ideas?

NEXT:

So I am looking for the best solution (New semi pro DSLR or 3/4 Camera) that will give me a small and very mobil package, as I am running around and it unusual positions (climbing ladders or equipment racks or stage platforms) with external mic so that I end up with Video that has sound that is as high a quality as the Video.
SO..
Recommended Camera, lens(s), External mic/ Filters and anything else I need.

Also, here is an unusual offer.

Everything costs twice as much in CR, so if some acknowledged expert out there wants to visit Costa Rica for a 3 day weekend, and TEACH me some of these things hands on, I will pay his or her round trip airfare to come visit, and he can bring me the new camera equipment, as the cost savings will pay for a round trip ticket.

I look forward to your help, and hopefully a visit

Raymond Cruz
CanadaCruzCR247@Gmail.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-14-2011, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I originally bought my camcorder to use in nightclubs as i am a dj. My best advice to you will be to use the manual controls.

I own the TM900, and it will always pump the gain up in dark rooms in auto mode, hence creating a noisy picture. I use manual mode and I don't go above 9db of gain. The amount of gain you can use on your camcorder will differ, so test it out to see what gives the best picture.

Luckily, the TM900 sounds really good in nightclubs as it doesn't pick up too much bass

I'm going to wait until next year's models to see what comes out, if Panasonic improves the low light, I may get next year's equivalent of the sd800

For you though, you're probably best off using a DSLR with fast glass. Because there's next to no light in the clubs i play at, current prosumer camcorders are not all that useful
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page