TM90 - step up ring (41.5mm) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-08-2011, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did some experimenting with lens hoods. From my other camcorders and digital SLR's, I do have many lens hoods and filters.

Before buying a 41.5, i wanted to make sure that I could use a lens hood with the TM90. I tried some of my rectangular wide angle hoods, just holding them at the lens, in the position that they would be, if mounted. I actually found a slightly larger one to fit over the lens barrel.

But, they all vignetted on the right side, at full wide angle. The TM90 is a close call on len thread design. As Romony said, a 58mm "may" work, but its too large for the camera. I have a 58 and 62 wide lens hood, but they get in the way. I could probably make something work, but it would be too large and bulky for the camera. It would also get in the way, when mounting on tripod.

I don't see that I would get any lens hood to work properly, so i will skip the 41.5 adaptor. I don't need filters, as some of you may.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2011, 11:03 PM

Posting a pic of my tm90 with a hood. I used the 41.5mm to 52mm step up ring, then a sigma uv lens, then a 52-58 step up ring and finally the hood. Cost of the hood and the 52-58 ring was $2.50 and that was with shipping. Works great no vignetting with ois on.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:45 AM

Liked: 20
where did you get the step up ring for $2.50? I checked on ebay and the 41.5mm-52mm or 58mm cost $20~
Old 12-04-2011, 10:47 AM

You must have misread my post. The 52-58mm step ring was $1.50 and the hood was $1. The 41.5mm to 52mm ring was $29.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:45 AM

Geaidi,

I have a couple of questions. Does the large hood block or muffle the built in mic? It looks to cover it up. Also, will the whole unit mount on a tripod, or is it too large?

Randy
Old 12-05-2011, 07:37 PM

I really can't tell the difference with hood on or off. I'll post a video later and you can decide for yourself. I'm buying me a rode pro so I won't use the internal mic.

I have a cheap tripod and it works. I don't understand how the hood would get in the way.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geaidi View Post

I really can't tell the difference with hood on or off. I'll post a video later and you can decide for yourself. I'm buying me a rode pro so I won't use the internal mic.

I have a cheap tripod and it works. I don't understand how the hood would get in the way.

If you set the whole unit on a table, does the bottom hood touch the table? If so, it may touch larger tripod plates, thus raising the camcorder off the mount plate. This could prevent mounting, or put a stress on your lens where it touches.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:13 PM

Hi! I am also looking for a 41,5mm to 52mm step up ring, but could not find one. Where did you find that guys? Any link please???
I just wanted to use my Raynox 52mm 0,7x wide angle lens on an SD90.
Thank you for your help!
Old 12-21-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubatech View Post

Hi! I am also looking for a 41,5mm to 52mm step up ring, but could not find one. Where did you find that guys? Any link please???
I just wanted to use my Raynox 52mm 0,7x wide angle lens on an SD90.
Thank you for your help!

I'm looking for the same thing. I've searched ebay every way I could think of and nothing has come up.

By the way, I don't know if you already have the SD90, but if you don't, are you aware that the lens is already the equivalent of a 28mm lens on a 35mm camera? Quite a wide-angle as is. Just wanted to mention that.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by W Jones View Post

...... I've searched ebay every way I could think of and nothing has come up.

I googled "41.5mm to 52mm" and got:http://www.ebay.in/itm/41-5mm-52mm-S...-/140570606930

Good luck.
Bill
Old 12-21-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

I googled "41.5mm to 52mm" and got:http://www.ebay.in/itm/41-5mm-52mm-S...-/140570606930

Good luck.
Bill

Thank you for the research, but that link seems to be inactive. You cannot order the product.
Any other seller who seller the same stepup ring?

As for the wide angle, i know that SD90 has already one of the widest lenses available on a camcorder, but i would like to take down below 20mm and that is why i bought that Raynox wide angle lens.

If anyone knows where to find a 41,5 to 52mm ring, please let me know!

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2012, 04:35 PM

I just found the adapter rings on ebay. One guy is selling them out of China, but there are ones coming from Los Angeles too. The seller is camerachief and he has 6 sizes. Looks pretty good!

RedFilmer
Old 03-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geaidi View Post

Posting a pic of my tm90 with a hood. I used the 41.5mm to 52mm step up ring, then a sigma uv lens, then a 52-58 step up ring and finally the hood. Cost of the hood and the 52-58 ring was $2.50 and that was with shipping. Works great no vignetting with ois on.

I made the mistake of ordering this setup.

When everything finally arrived I screwed the Sigma filter onto the 41.5-52 step ring then I went to attach the 52-58mm ring and it would NOT match the thread size on front of the Sigma filter. I guess it isn't 52mm. So I went to remove the step-up ring from the filter and it would not unscrew. It went on easily, but it will not come off.

So now with this mess I have a few choices:

Leave the filter and step ring together and use that all by itself.

Use two pairs of pliers to try and separate the two thereby destroying it

Put the lens hood and 52-58mm step ring away in case I ever need it.

What a waste of time and money.

John

EDIT: Update:

Sigma Corporation recommended I use my two palms to twist the step ring and the filter apart. That worked.

I measured the step ring labeled 52mm - 58mm and found the problem. The step ring was labeled wrong. It actually measures 55mm and not 52mm. That is why it didn't fit. I e-mailed the eBay seller, but I haven't heard from him yet.

Follow-up: The eBay seller personally measured a replacement which he is sending to me. Can't ask for more than that.