1st Time Buyer! Advice Please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-08-2011, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone Im new here and looking for much needed advice.
I currently got interested in making videos with a friend. My budget is under $200, and I want some pretty good quality (720p +). Im not really into the small, flip cams, or those styles. I like bigger ones, suitable for 2 hands. A trustworthy brand too. Im not really to picky on zoom, don't need much. But if anyone has some recommendations, or other questions please feel free. Thank you, -Walden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-09-2011, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 93
It says this is your first post. Welcome.

I don't think you will find many favorite cameras on this forum at $200. The favorites seem to start at about $350. Of course, you can try shopping for used, but with electronics that can be tricky.

I recently took my 9 year old Granddaughter camera shopping at Best Buy. We had a $200 budget. Most, if not all, of the cameras we looked at would do video of some sort. Yet, at that price, features like zoom and low light were limited.

Apparently all the manufactures now assume every consumer camera produced has to do both video and stills. Some look like camcorders, some look like old SLRs, some look like pocket cameras and some look like a combination of all of them.

You can read specs and get advice, but at a store like that you can see what feels good in your hands. Last year I was going to buy a DSLR until I went to the store and held them. I got a Panasonic camcorder instead.

My granddaugher kept her money. I ended up going back a week later and buying a Sony HX9V "point-n-shoot" for "on sale" $320 for myself and "loaning" her my old camera.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-09-2011, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
post #4 of 7 Old 10-09-2011, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Everyone. I recently got into making videos with a friend, but I was using my smart phone and had a blast. But I want something better. Something under $200, 10mp+, something I can hold with 2 hands. Im not really into the flip cams. I don't like that style. I want 720p+ and a reliable company. If anyone has some recommendations please help me out. Thank You!
post #5 of 7 Old 10-09-2011, 03:55 PM

For non flip/bloggie type, not many choices for max $200 (assuming street price - even less choice if talking MSRP). Here's a few: Samsung Q10. Toshiba X200/X400, Toshiba H30, Sony HX5V. Latter is a P&S camera not a camcorder, but takes decent video (in good light). Q10 still photos are only "5MP" (interpolated from 2MP).
post #6 of 7 Old 10-10-2011, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
yesterday had a panasonic digital camera on woot that would have been great
post #7 of 7 Old 10-10-2011, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Amazon has a Toshiba Camileo H30 Full HD Camcorder for under $200: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003DZ122E/...020_pe_epc_dt8
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page