AVS Forum banner

Any interest is a High Speed Video Camera List?

4K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Chas Tennis 
#1 ·
Most of my interest is in high speed video (HSV).

I have never been able to find a list of the currently and recently available high speed video cameras with some basic specs such as frame rates, resolution, etc. Complicating the matter some DSLRs now have high speed video capabilities. I'm tired of searching and don't want to try to find all the spec sheets myself because there are so many cameras and the models available with HSV change monthly.

If there is some interest I could list some HSV specs and invite camera owners or others with information on high speed video cameras to send in replies. Also, finding any volunteers to search, for example, the Nikon or Canon camera reviews or specs would be great.

A dozen or more 'I'm interested' replies and I'll list some specs and start a thread to see how many cameras we can get.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gso125 /forum/post/21057074

I say just post up a new thread and see what response you get. But most HS hd cameras are very expensive. Would Be fun to see what's out there, haven't given it much thought up to now.
All the new affordable high speed video cameras are much lower resolution than HD.......at least I think so........... Cameras not restricted except by some high speed video specs such as frame rate greater than 60 fps, etc.

#4 ·
#5 ·
This is about the best list of affordable high speed video cameras that I have found.

http://snapsort.com/explore/most-pop...-months-recent

You can select for various frame rates, camera types, etc.

The information supplied does not include the important feature of MANUAL exposure control or AUTO exposure control. I believe that the discontinued Casio models that had MANUAL exposure control were the only ones to offer MANUAL and the others are all AUTO.

#6 ·
I guess it wouldn't hurt, I'd be interested but I'm sure like most have mentioned, they real high quality ones are priced out of my range.

If it can be separated out: affordable prosumer vs expensive pro maybe.

Thanks.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague /forum/post/21971589

Does 240 fps in "Motion jpeg" qualify for high speed?

Bill

Could you describe "Motion jpeg"? What is the equipment for recording?

What was the recording frame rate?

I would say that high speed video consists of recording frames (sampling) at a high rate so that what happened can be observed. Various ways of post processing the original video for displaying the video are not relevant.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Tennis /forum/post/21971887

Could you describe "Motion jpeg"? What is the equipment for recording?

What was the recording frame rate?

I would say that high speed video consists of recording frames (sampling) at a high rate so that what happened can be observed. Various ways of post processing the original video for displaying the video are not relevant.

I gave my wife a Panasonic FZ150 for her birthday. I was reading the 200+ page manual (that came as a .pdf, not printed) and found the following on page 96:

"High Speed Video

This will record 220 frames/second, recording very fast movement that cannot be seen with the naked eye as a motion picture.

1 Press the motion picture button to start the recording.

Release the motion picture button right after you press it.

2 Press the motion picture button again to stop the recording.

Note

It cannot be recorded into the built-in memory.

Motion pictures will be recorded in the Motion JPEG format. Use the QuickTime or PHOTOfunSTUDIO software on the CD-ROM (supplied) to play back motion pictures on a computer.

Audio is not recorded.

Motion picture can be recorded continuously for up to 2 GB.

The focus, zoom, exposure and White Balance is fixed to the value at the beginning of the recording motion picture.

Under fluorescent lighting, flicker or horizontal bars may be seen."

I looked up "motion jpeg" on Wikipedia where it says it was originally developed for multimedia PC applications and has been displaced by more advanced formats.

It certainly is not pro quality 1920 x 1080 at 1000 fps. But, for a consumer camera, it might be fun to try. I'll have to pry it out of DW's hands.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague /forum/post/21972060

"High Speed Video

This will record 220 frames/second, recording very fast movement that cannot be seen with the naked eye as a motion picture.

Note

• Motion pictures will be recorded in the Motion JPEG format. Use the “QuickTime” or “PHOTOfunSTUDIO” software on the CD-ROM (supplied) to play back motion pictures on a computer.

I looked up "motion jpeg" on Wikipedia where it says it was originally developed for multimedia PC applications and has been displaced by more advanced formats.

Hi,bsprague, we exchanged some replies earlier (your musket video, etc.). I realized that some of my tennis serve videos might play much better at 30 fps if I used some of your time-stretching techniques. I'll be checking back later when I have the time to pursue the processing techniques.

That is high speed video and should do a nice job. Its especially useful for tennis, golf, baseball, and other sports. If you search your camera's model + high speed video + Youtube you should find some HSV examples. Virtually all affordable high speed video cameras, other than a few Casio models which have MANUAL exposure control, use AUTO exposure control. AUTO control will select the shutter speed. Look for a 'sports setting' ?, the camera might use a faster shutter then. To minimize motion blur try shooting in direct outdoor sunlight. Indoor lighting levels are only about 1% of direct sunlight so that HSV results indoors will suffer - videos will be very dark and/or have more motion blur due to slow shutter speeds.

Quicktime works very well with stop-action single frame and forward or backward using the keyboard arrow buttons. Quicktime is probably on your computer. If not, it is a free download from the Apple site or download.com.

SD cards have become very reasonable in cost. Check manual and get a faster card.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishywishy /forum/post/21972852

the kodak dual was gonna have 720p @ 120fps, but that will no longer be happening

That's too bad as there are a lot of people interested in high speed video at higher spatial resolution, HSV + HD.

For technical applications such as the analysis of sports motions - where time & accurate spatial resolution are all important - lower spatial resolution works fine to accurately see arms, legs, rackets, tennis balls, etc.. However, for attractiveness people are used to everyday HD.

720 at 120fps with a fast MANUAL shutter would be a nice middle ground.

Another issue comes up for technical applications and that is how spatially accurate are the images. The Jello Effect in CMOS sensors results from reading out video lines one at a time, top of the frame to bottom. Therefore different parts of the frame are exposed at different times and distortions result, bent golf clubs, etc.. Search Jello Effect + iPhone for example or Jello Effect + Golf Club, Rolling Shutter, etc. The more lines to read out the greater the Jello Effect distortions. Cameras that use GLOBAL shutters avoid the Jello Effect but GLOBAL shutter cameras are very expensive. When the new HD high speed video cameras become available at affordable prices, check the spatial accuracy if you have a technical application.

#16 ·
That looks like a great camera. I'm pretty sure the cost is going to be out of my range since I don't use it for any income purpose.

Since this 2012 thread I have discovered Snapsort for consumer high speed cameras. It has a searchable list of cameras.

Also Hi Speed Cameras which emphasizes reviews of the high speed video capabilities.
http://hispeedcams.com/

My thread on Kinovea with some basic high speed video issues discussed.
http://www.kinovea.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?id=435

#17 ·
I am looking for a high speed camera to shoot in poor/low light.
Even the A7sII creates an unusable (lot of moire) Video at ISO 6400
In the places I shoot, the 2.2 crop requires ISO 8000.

Hopefully a new Pro (under $8k) CamCorder will shoot 1080P240 in low light using the full width of the A7s or better Sensor.

#18 · (Edited)
Website High Speed Video Reviews

http://hispeedcams.com/

Check total recording time and all other specs that might be important for your application.

I'm interested in athletic motions such as tennis strokes and can work with low resolution and see what I need. Small motion blur is important.

Low resolution, 1/1000 sec, manual exposure control, ISO 3200.
https://vimeo.com/27528522

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.