Panasonce TM90 - 41.5mm filter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-30-2011, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As the size of the lens is 41.5mm, can I just fit the UV filter without using step up ring? I might have found the UV filter of size 41.5mm.

Or I need to use step up ring and fit a large filter on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2011, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Tse View Post

As the size of the lens is 41.5mm, can I just fit the UV filter without using step up ring? I might have found the UV filter of size 41.5mm.

The ring used for the filter will probably cause vignetting. I tend to shoot without any filters after my recent trip where I shot 54GB of video.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

The ring used for the filter will probably cause vignetting. I tend to shoot without any filters after my recent trip where I shot 54GB of video.

If I can find a uv filter of size 41.5mm, can I just screw it onto the lens?
Old 10-30-2011, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I can find a uv filter of size 41.5mm, can I just screw it onto the lens?

Well yes its 41.5mm so it should screw on. I would go with a bigger step ring and a bigger filter if I were you. Unless somebody has a modified filter that works with the TM90/SD90 with no vignetting.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

Well yes its 41.5mm so it should screw on. I would go with a bigger step ring and a bigger filter if I were you. Unless somebody has a modified filter that works with the TM90/SD90 with no vignetting.

Arh...the 41.5mm filter will cause vignetting?
What size will be better of the step up ring, 41.5 - xxx?
Old 10-31-2011, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Arh...the 41.5mm filter will cause vignetting?
What size will be better of the step up ring, 41.5 - xxx?

You might have to go up to a 58mm ring to avoid vignetting! Unless you can find a lens that is narrow. The TM90 was not designed to allow for a screw on lens. The wide angle lens just clears the threads itself.

You might be able to modify a step ring on the corners by grinding down the corners and get a 52mm step ring to work.

I have a 46mm ring and with the panasonic polarizer lens which is very narrow I get a very minimal amount of vigetting with the OIS turned off. But I also have a clear 46mm lens and that is not as narrow so I get more vignetting. The panasonic polarizer is expensive but a good filter.

I think the 58mm should work with most lenses though.

Ron
Old 10-31-2011, 12:18 PM

All of the step up rings will vignette with OIS on. The inner flange is causing the vignetting. Grinding down the inner flange will eliminate OIS vignetting.

Go with a 52mm if u want to use only a single lens.

Go with a 58mm if u want to stack more than one lens.

Camera flash will not work if u add an external lens, turn flash off.

See ur old thread for more info http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1362127
Old 10-31-2011, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geaidi View Post

All of the step up rings will vignette with OIS on. The inner flange is causing the vignetting. Grinding down the inner flange will eliminate OIS vignetting.
Go with a 52mm if u want to use only a single lens.
Go with a 58mm if u want to stack more than one lens.

What do you meant by "stack more than one lens"?
I would just put UV filter on.

I wonder for general photography, do they also put step up ring on wide angle lens to reduce vignetting (wide angle produce vignetting in this case)?
Old 10-31-2011, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What do you meant by "stack more than one lens"?
I would just put UV filter on.

I wonder for general photography, do they also put step up ring on wide angle lens to reduce vignetting (wide angle produce vignetting in this case)?

Not necessarily all wide angle lenses! Just the way it is with the TM90. The threads were added for the 3D conversion attachment.

As far as adding two lenses some people want to protect a polarizing lens or ND filter lens from some thing like salt spray at the beach for instance so they will add a UV lens to protect the special function lens. So people will stack more than one lens in this case.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:

A seller was selling this 41.5mm direct attachment uv filter. Do not buy this, as it will vignette at the widest zoom setting. You cannot grind this filter to reduce the vignetting. Follow my previous post and u will avoid vignetting with these adapters with OIS on.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geaidi View Post

A seller was selling this 41.5mm direct attachment uv filter. Do not buy this, as it will vignette at the widest zoom setting. You cannot grind this filter to reduce the vignetting. Follow my previous post and u will avoid vignetting with these adapters with OIS on.

I noticed an eBay seller is selling 41.5mm filter for ~$20
Old 11-06-2011, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
TM90 owners; how vulnerable is the lens without a protective filter?

Old 11-06-2011, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Blowing sand or seashore wind with salt spray is where you need protection.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Yeah, it's seems like an awesome camcorder for the money, but disappointing they didn't make the filter size something common/be able to attach filters.

The Sony CX 160 has a 37mm for attachments.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

Yeah, it's seems like an awesome camcorder for the money, but disappointing they didn't make the filter size something common/be able to attach filters.

The Sony CX 160 has a 37mm for attachments.

Well this panasonic polarizer http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001GN...6&sr=8-1-spell works well with the 46mm step ring. I plan to grind down the corners of the flang on the ring and I bet I can eliminate vignetting. Its a really nice polarizer.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:06 PM

Hi, i just bought the SD90, i live in a VERY DUSTY Country with Sub Saharan climate, is there some sort of PERMANENT "Filter" that i can keep on all the time to protect my Panasonic SD90,s original lens?

Secondly i hear what you say about best go for the 52mm wide angle lens (fitted on the 41.5mm step up ring) to avoid vignetting but HOW would i fit a lens "protector" or "filter" AND fit the 52mm wide angle lens at the same time?! Excuse me if my questions sound stupid!! Does the filter/protector ALSO have threading for fitting on that further wide angle lens????

I saw this https://slrhut.co.uk/accessory/ID6687C9/Hi_Definition-Wide-Angle-Lens-For-Panasonic-HDC_SD90-/ but in the spec description it says • Wide Angle has 72mm rear mounting threads & 105mm filter threads ...which doesn't sound like the right thing for the 41.5mm thread on the SD90, or have i missed something? Finally WHAT IS a UV filter please??

Very finally..lol..sorry...i teach fitness classes and need to shoot some of my classes to correct wrong moves in my students that i dont get to see during class so i bought the SD90 cos it said it ALREADY has a wide angle shooting facility, i used to use a flip cam with a glued on 30.5 step up ring and then i would attach a "digital high definition 0.45x super wide angle lens with macro japan optics 0530809"...or that's what it says on my 2 year old silver colored lens anyways, so basically i want to get the same (or better) out of my new SD90, my question is does the built in wide angle (it says 28mm WIDE) on top of the cam...does sit produce similar wide angle capture to my old 0.45x wide angle lens??? If so then i don't need to worry about step up rings or add on wide angel lens or anything!!!! But if it doesn't then i need to buy 52mm wide angle lens http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/52mm-WIDE-ANGLE-Lens-FOR-NIKON-D40-D50-D60-D70-D40X-wide-angle-/320830954708?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item4ab303dcd4 and the 41.5mm to 52mm step up ring http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/41-5mm-52mm-41-5-52-mm-41-5-to-52-Step-Up-Filter-Ring-Adapter-/320854527027?pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item4ab46b8c33 Your thoughts and advice much appreciated!! smile.gif