Can I record TV Shows onto my Sony HD Handycam? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-24-2011, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Everyone,

I have a bit of a dilemma. I need to record Anderson on Monday, because my dogs and myself will be featured in segment on the show. (See the videos!) However, we canceled cable in favor of watching TV over the internet and OTA. Therefore I have no DVR and I do not have Tivo.

I do have a Sony HD Handycam HDR-CX110 and I hope to use this record the show on my Vizio VW32L TV that has a 720p resolution over an OTA Antenna. I am wondering if I can do this? I did a search and did not find anything for this camcorder.

A quick look at the camcorder and it seems the best way to hook the 2 up is an HDMI cable. The Sony has an HDMI out port. That goes out to the TV though. Would I be able to record in HD through the HDMI port?

I also have a Sony BDP-S570 Blu-Ray player. I am thinking there might be a way to record the show in HD through that.

Your help would be much appreciated by myself and my dogs. If I just can't record with the camcorder, and you recommend buying equipment or using other devices, please email me asap (adamsautoadvice@gmail.com).

Happy Holidays & Happy New Year!
-Cody, Sierra, and Adam

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-24-2011, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Your camcorder doesn't appear to have any inputs, and Blu-ray players definitely can't record anything. There's always the "point it at the screen" method like many people on YouTube use to pirate TV clips.

Maybe you can find a friend with a DVD recorder? (That would only be SD quality)

The highest quality method would be to find an ATSC tuner for your computer and hook the antenna coax up to that. I don't know about finding one locally and learning how to use it between now and Monday... But something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-TV-USB...dp/B000VKU33S/
post #3 of 10 Old 12-25-2011, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

I did consider getting DVD recorder, but it seems like having someone else do it is the best option at this point.

I should get setup to do it anyway though!
post #4 of 10 Old 12-25-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I played Auld Lang Syne on my laptop for my wife's miniature wire hair wiener dog. He chimed in!
post #5 of 10 Old 12-25-2011, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Glad to hear your dog chimed in!
post #6 of 10 Old 12-25-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Forget about using a camcorder if you want the best quality. Get an ATSC receiver.

I have AverMedia A868 USB receiver + a small antenna. Works like a charm. Records in native MPEG-2 into Program Stream container. Can be easily trimmed with tsMuxer without re-encoding, re-packed to TS container and recorded onto an AVCHD disc (or BD disc).
LL
post #7 of 10 Old 12-25-2011, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

I have AverMedia A868 USB receiver + a small antenna. Works like a charm.

Could I get one at a store tomorrow morning you think? I would not have time to order it online.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-26-2011, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsAutoAdvice View Post

Could I get one at a store tomorrow morning you think? I would not have time to order it online.

Yeah, you shouldn't have any problem getting a USB ATSC dongle. Just visit any computer store or any Best Buy/Costco.
They all work similarly, so if the Avermedia model is not available, then don't worry.

Also, unless you live in a strong reception area, the supplied small antenna will not provide good reception. I would recommend using a laptop to capture the recording as you will need to use the antenna connection located on your roof to receive the signal reliably.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-26-2011, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

I live about 1-2 miles from what is known as "TV Hill" where all the TV stations in Baltimore are located. I should be fine, but I moved my Vizio to the window with my antenna. Just to get as strong a signal as possible.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-26-2011, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

I went to Best Buy this morning and bought this Toshiba DVD Recorder to tape the segment.

Probably not the best option, but it will work! Testing it out and it seems to do a pretty good job.
Reply Camcorders