Canon HF G10 for a novice? Or TM900 or CX700?? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 53 Old 01-25-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I placed the order for G10 today through buy.com as there is a deal on this cam. Saved a few bucks, and got the wasabi power battery and charger kit from amazon. Includes two rechargable batteries, an external battery charger and a car adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-B...pr_product_top

Want to thank all the members on this thread for their inputs, specially Steve.
Here begins my learning quest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 01-25-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 16
you should also invest in an external mic and a wide angle lens. That would complete your set up. I highly doubt you'll be disappointed with the camcorder.
post #33 of 53 Old 01-26-2012, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post

I placed the order for G10 today through buy.com as there is a deal on this cam. Saved a few bucks, and got the wasabi power battery and charger kit from amazon. Includes two rechargable batteries, an external battery charger and a car adapter.

Want to thank all the members on this thread for their inputs, specially Steve.
Here begins my learning quest.

i have both the sony cx700 and panny tm900....i thought of buying the canon hf g10 too...after ready the specs...i found out the canon hf g10 does not allow you to shot hd still photos(max hf g10 picture can go is 2megapixel)...it's more of a video camcorder only....

my next purchase will be the sony HDR-PJ710V as soon as it becomes available this april...

good thing with sony is you can use same batttery for xr550, vg10, vg20, cx700, newer cx760 and pj710...

as for the tm700 and tm900...it uses different battery for different camcorder model....
post #34 of 53 Old 01-27-2012, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cebu View Post

Sony has the worst autofocus in the industry! It's worse than a 4 year old cell phone. I still have videos that show how painfully slow it is to autofocus.
It does have a great OIS tho and is pretty good in low ambient light. Just expect that you will have to manually focus every shot.

I never had any issues with autofocus, but I don't own any 2011 Sony models. Maybe something changed after the XR/CX models.... could have something to do with the wide angle lens.
post #35 of 53 Old 01-28-2012, 02:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearing View Post

I never had any issues with autofocus, but I don't own any 2011 Sony models. Maybe something changed after the XR/CX models.... could have something to do with the wide angle lens.

I tested out a few CX models and they were utter crap. I mean they were so slow to focus that you actually had to pan and stop so the camera could catch up. Sometimes it didn't. This was with more than one camcorder.
The OIS was amazing, it really was. But the autofocus would hunt and seek constantly. When the light got low it was even worse.
I posted videos on Vimeo of it.
post #36 of 53 Old 01-28-2012, 03:45 AM

Quote:

I tested out a few CX models and they were utter crap. I mean they were so slow to focus that you actually had to pan and stop so the camera could catch up. Sometimes it didn't. This was with more than one camcorder.
The OIS was amazing, it really was. But the autofocus would hunt and seek constantly. When the light got low it was even worse.
I posted videos on Vimeo of it.

i tested my panny tm900 and sony cx700 just now....

if you zoom the panny tm900 to maxx and shut the unit off.....wait for few seconds and turn it 'on'....the panny tm900 zoom resets to non zoom....

if you zoom with sony cx700....and turn the sony off....wait for few minutes...and turn the unit 'on'....the sony zooms stays where you left the zoom before you turn the unit off....

solution maybe to unzoom the sony before turning unit off....and for next shot...
post #37 of 53 Old 01-29-2012, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker1212 View Post

i tested my panny tm900 and sony cx700 just now....

if you zoom the panny tm900 to maxx and shut the unit off.....wait for few seconds and turn it 'on'....the panny tm900 zoom resets to non zoom....

if you zoom with sony cx700....and turn the sony off....wait for few minutes...and turn the unit 'on'....the sony zooms stays where you left the zoom before you turn the unit off....

solution maybe to unzoom the sony before turning unit off....and for next shot...

What does this have to do with autofocus?
post #38 of 53 Old 01-29-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:

What does this have to do with autofocus?

does the canon hf g10 resets the zoom if you turn it off?....like panny tm900...or zoom stay in same position when you turn the unit off like sony cx700...

canon going to announce new camcorder this feb...i hope they up the still photo capture for camcorder to 10meg (with still/movie button)...and go 1080p...
post #39 of 53 Old 01-29-2012, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

does the canon hf g10 resets the zoom if you turn it off?....like panny tm900...or zoom stay in same position when you turn the unit off like sony cx700...

canon going to announce new camcorder this feb...i hope they up the still photo capture for camcorder to 10meg (with still/movie button)...and go 1080p...

They had still photo and abandoned it. It seems they forgot to notify you about the changes they made last year and the reasons why they did it.

The HF G10 has 1080p recording mode.
post #40 of 53 Old 01-29-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

They had still photo and abandoned it. It seems they forgot to notify you about the changes they made last year and the reasons why they did it.

The HF G10 has 1080p recording mode.

60p?
post #41 of 53 Old 01-30-2012, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sounds like your looking for a still camera that can do video also have you looked into a dslr camera yet.
post #42 of 53 Old 01-30-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gso125 View Post

Sounds like your looking for a still camera that can do video also have you looked into a dslr camera yet.

yes...i own a nikon d300s....before, i shoot 80% still picture and 20% video....now...i shoot 80%video and 20% still photo....

my main purpose is for home use....non commercial....

nikon coming out with d800 soon...but my interest is in camcorders for now...
post #43 of 53 Old 01-30-2012, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

yes...i own a nikon d300s....before, i shoot 80% still picture and 20% video....now...i shoot 80%video and 20% still photo....

my main purpose is for home use....non commercial....

nikon coming out with d800 soon...but my interest is in camcorders for now...

Im in the market this year myself for a good dslr I have a few older ones that don't do video. Got a ton of Nikon lens so may go with them but canon has a great line up to. To many choices these days.
post #44 of 53 Old 01-30-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The zoom stays where I left it. So when I turn it on it's zoomed (or not) to that point. It does not reset. I just tested it.
post #45 of 53 Old 01-30-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gso125 View Post

Im in the market this year myself for a good dslr I have a few older ones that don't do video. Got a ton of Nikon lens so may go with them but canon has a great line up to. To many choices these days.

i bought more than 5 lens for my nikon d300s...but in the end realized that 90% of the time my nikon d300s stay home....because it's very bulky....nikon take very good pictures thought...but missed most of the memorable shots because it's heavy to carry during outings and looks dumb taking picture in fast food restaurant with huge black camera....

dslr is dying....

http://www.stuckincustoms.com/2012/0...re-the-future/

i hope the new canon camcorder cames out with new avchd v2 60p standard and at least 10megapixel photo....
post #46 of 53 Old 01-30-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 32
If you want megapixels then get a still camera.
post #47 of 53 Old 01-30-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

If you want megapixels then get a still camera.

i know...waiting for upgrade camera of sony hx9v....

maybe i buy the canon hf g10 camcorder upgrade and sony hx9v camera upgrade....and carry both canon camcorder and sony camera to outings....

to person not knowlegable to camera/camcorder...i look cool....carrying two gadgets and shooting both with one hands.....but to someone knowledgeble to camcorders...i look stupid...cause i bought an expensive camcorder with zero photo still picture taking capability....and takes lesser than iphone 8megapixel photos....
post #48 of 53 Old 01-31-2012, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 23
http://vimeo.com/26502646
http://vimeo.com/18484574
GH2 video is superb if used correctly
post #49 of 53 Old 01-31-2012, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i know...waiting for upgrade camera of sony hx9v....

maybe i buy the canon hf g10 camcorder upgrade and sony hx9v camera upgrade....and carry both canon camcorder and sony camera to outings....

to person not knowlegable to camera/camcorder...i look cool....carrying two gadgets and shooting both with one hands.....but to someone knowledgeble to camcorders...i look stupid...cause i bought an expensive camcorder with zero photo still picture taking capability....and takes lesser than iphone 8megapixel photos....

You only would look stupid to the ill-informed ie: people with no clue.
Still cameras are great at taking still pictures. Camcorders for video.
The fact that most camcorders are much less than what they should/could be is because the marketing dept. told them they need still pic capability or they will lose sales.
Canon thankfully decided stills weren't as important and went for much better low light performance and got it. Yes their stills look like crap but that is what a DSLR is for, right.
post #50 of 53 Old 01-31-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:

You only would look stupid to the ill-informed ie: people with no clue.
Still cameras are great at taking still pictures. Camcorders for video.
The fact that most camcorders are much less than what they should/could be is because the marketing dept. told them they need still pic capability or they will lose sales.
Canon thankfully decided stills weren't as important and went for much better low light performance and got it. Yes their stills look like crap but that is what a DSLR is for, right.

some people still wears a watch to tell time...while others use their iphone to check the time, make a call, take photos and videos, search the internet and many other task....

i think reason why sony guys kept on introducing new and advanced feature to their consumer camcorder market is because they don't want their photographic market to end up like betamax and walkman....killed by vhs and mp3 players....that is why they put projectors, 1080 60p avchd v2, good low light, good ois, good still and video quality into one product...

unlike canon and nikon...which are slow to adopt...and both have not experienced what sony did....
post #51 of 53 Old 02-01-2012, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

some people still wears a watch to tell time...while others use their iphone to check the time, make a call, take photos and videos, search the internet and many other task....

i think reason why sony guys kept on introducing new and advanced feature to their consumer camcorder market is because they don't want their photographic market to end up like betamax and walkman....killed by vhs and mp3 players....that is why they put projectors, 1080 60p avchd v2, good low light, good ois, good still and video quality into one product...

unlike canon and nikon...which are slow to adopt...and both have not experienced what sony did....

Yeah except Sony ends up with a camcorder than while it does everything it doesn't do any of those things very well.
I used to have a swiss army knife way back in the day.
But as a knife it was crap, ditto for the saw and fillet a fish
It did have a great bottle opener tho. Nice to have tweezers too.

But overall it wasn't worth the grief. Now I carry a Milwaukee utility knife.
It doesn't fillet fish or anything but it is a great folding utility knife and works for 99% of what I need.

When you look up camcorders it is not Sony you see at the top for picture/video quality. It is Canon and Panasonic. Gimmicks sell camcorders to rubes. Great video quality sells camcorders to people who know what they actually want to buy.

So yes you can use a smartphone or you can buy a Rolex and look at your wrist.
post #52 of 53 Old 02-04-2012, 02:39 PM

i have camera jvc everio gz-mg132E and the hhd is full.and i can't do format on hdd on the camera .i connect at pc and i tryied to format and nothing
any ideas .sorry for bad english......
post #53 of 53 Old 02-08-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

i bought more than 5 lens for my nikon d300s...but in the end realized that 90% of the time my nikon d300s stay home....because it's very bulky....nikon take very good pictures thought...but missed most of the memorable shots because it's heavy to carry during outings and looks dumb taking picture in fast food restaurant with huge black camera....

dslr is dying....

http://www.stuckincustoms.com/2012/0...re-the-future/

i hope the new canon camcorder cames out with new avchd v2 60p standard and at least 10megapixel photo....

Started using the HF G10 camera, and boy what an amazing cam. Straight out of the box, i started using with the auto mode, and the out come was amazing. Shots taken outdoors looked NatGeo'ish, and indoor low light shots popped out pristine clear. Started playing with manual controls that Ou8thisSN shared with me and some googling helped me with understanding exposure and wb.. now i am on my own experimenting and tweaking on the learning curve, and love every bit of it. The Manual settings are Blu-Ray quality.

For still photography stick with a dedicated camera instead of a camcorder. A good camera was very important for us, cos we host parties on a regular basis and are invited the same way.. hence having a pocketable camera was very important.. hence we choose Canon S95 (which takes awesome lowlight images, and are very good Point and Shoot cameras). But this year I plan to get a DSLR camera too for long vacations and short outdoor trips. The higher end models of Nikon and camera are almost similar except that nikon are a bit tad pricier for no apparent reason compared to Canon
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page