please help converting the panasonic TM700k videos - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2012, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have Panasonic HDC-TM700K camcorder, i like the camera and its quality. But it is very inconvenient as the video format is not widely supported.
  • I am not able to edit the videos in Pinnacle Studio, Sony vegas. Pinnacle says i need intel i7 processor. I cannot upgrade my not so old desktop(first gen. quad-core) at the moment.
  • wdtv, i am able to play the files.. but after 5 seconds or so, i am losing audio.
  • Mac OS doesn't support this format either

so, all the videos i took are pretty much useless now. Which format should i convert these files without losing much quality? Also any easy software to do it? I have hundreds of files, so i need a software with batch processing.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I use this guide, that another forum member posted for me:

http://www.avchduser.com/articles/avchd_to_bluray.jsp

you can either create AVCHD discs on DVD-R or Blu-Ray discs. I follow the guide to make blu-ray discs.

like you, i tried a lot of different software to archive my video footage, but every software suite did something I didnt want, like introduce audio lag or recompress the audio. This method eliminates all of that. Whatever you shoot is what's on your disc, no reduction or recompression in quality from the original. I love it; you dont need a fast computer to do it, because you're not doing anything that involves CPU intensive work.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

I need to edit the video to trim the unwanted footage. I will try renaming the files to m2ts and see if any difference..
Old 01-29-2012, 02:49 AM

Your quad core computer should be able to read and encode the files you get from your TM700k. I have an Acer laptop which has an i5 dual core processor and I am able to view, edit and encode videos (24Mbps 1080i m2ts format) with Vegas 10 Pro.

What version of Vegas are you using? Are you getting any error messages when you try to open a video file?
Old 01-29-2012, 07:29 AM

I don't have a TM700, but with an SD90, I use HD Writer that came with te camera. Do you have HD Writer?
Old 01-29-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by konaseema View Post

I have Panasonic HDC-TM700K camcorder, i like the camera and its quality. But it is very inconvenient as the video format is not widely supported....

If your clips are in 1080p, it makes sense you are having trouble.

When your camera was being sold, the AVCHD standards did not include 1080p. I think yours is like my SDT-750 where the 1080p selection is done with a distinct and separate button. If you always use that button, your video quality will be the highest, the files will be huge and, in many cases, they will be hard to edit and difficult to play depending on your hardware, software and firmware.

Recently, 1080p was included in the AVCHD 2.0 standard. Future cameras and editing software will become more better at handling that format. For now it seems that in varies with computer and software. The latest computers and editors are better but, the rendering process in every brand of software will make compromises.

I think the best way to convert your files may be to use HD Writer (that came with your camera). One of its primary functions is to allow you to take advantage of the 1080p camera feature and then process the files into something more editors can handle. It should make copies in a AVCHD format that your Pinnacle Studio and Sony Vegas won't choke on -- unless they are real old versions.

Good luck!

Bill
Old 01-29-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I have Panasonic HDC-TM700K camcorder, i like the camera and its quality. But it is very inconvenient as the video format is not widely supported.

I am not able to edit the videos in Pinnacle Studio, Sony vegas. Pinnacle says i need intel i7 processor.

Have you even tried?

Quote:

wdtv, i am able to play the files.. but after 5 seconds or so, i am losing audio.

Older players cannot handle higher frame and bit rate.

Quote:

Which format should i convert these files without losing much quality?

Depends on what you want to achieve.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 143
HDWriter: "One of its primary functions is to allow you to take advantage of the 1080p camera feature and then process the files into something more editors can handle."

This is true, but why bother to export to another program? You can trim clips, combine them in any order and add transitions, titles and end notes within HDWriter. And the 108060p quality is retained. Since no conversion is done, everything is fast.

This video was edited completely within HDWriter. Is there anything you would want to do more? Are you into color grading? keyframing? what do you really need to do?

http://vimeo.com/34102767
Old 01-29-2012, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

....but why bother to export to another program? You can trim clips, combine them in any order and add transitions, titles and end notes within HDWriter. And the 108060p quality is retained.

Mark,

As I learn this (new to me) craft, it is clear you are right when picture quality is the primary goal and you have common computer equipment. HD Writer is perfect for fundamental editing. It is my first choice for projects where I want to enjoy the very best picture quality on a big TV.

Unfortunately, at this point in time, some of us don't have, and Panasonic does not offer, the 3.0 version that (according to some of your posts) include some audio control. And, that can be important.

Add to that that you are partly to blame that I have two video cameras. (Thanks!) HD Writer doesn't help with combining clips from two brands. And, that's important to me now that I have two camcorders.

For training, self education and fun I bought two NLEs. Sony's didn't work well on my computer. Adobe's works better and has some effective online video training. This month's big lesson is how many creative tools are included. Yes, at the consumer level, there is lots of useless junk built in, but there are some amazing tools too. You can work multiple audio and video tracks. You can use the best of multiple cameras. You can correct color a little. You can use photos. The hard part is finding good ways to use the tools after you discover they are available.

These cool NLE tools (at the consumer price points) result in a little loss of picture quality in the rendering process. Now that 1080p is part of AVCHD 2.0, next year's software releases may do a little better.

For now, I am going to include a third party NLE in my "tool kit" that enhances my new craft. Maybe I'll get more seriously committed and buy a two screen workstation and some serious software. That will make my cameras look really cheap!

Bill