cammie buying help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-01-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a camcorder and am in need of some serious help, complete noob. Basically I'm looking for the best camcorder (my filmmaking friend said to call it a "cammie," but i think he's messing with me) for the money. what a surprise right? Looking in the "prosumer" range and less than $1000.

I have no qualms with used or refurbished cameras. I would prefer a used cammie because i think you get more value for money. I don't mind using an older model. I feel like an older used model of a professional camera is better value for money than a prosumer camera. Am I way off there? I know it depends, but say a Canon GL1 on amazon runs $600-$700 used vs Canon Vixia S or Panasonic TM (new or used). But would a used GL1 (or any used professional camera) break too often if used only moderately? For someone that doesn't need the latest and greatest, is it even worth investing in an old professional camera?

I can already hear some people, "what are you going to use it for?" Mainly for sketches, but I like the idea that I can do more with a professional camera when I want to in the future, even if 90% of what I do will only require a cheap handycam. This is the case with most electronics i guess ("does my mac need 250GB or 2Trillion GB!?"). I'm also eager to learn and like the idea of jumping in the deep end with a pro camera. I'm sure many people have this dilemma, let me know your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-01-2012, 07:32 PM

I think you're comparing apples to oranges. Isn't the GL1 a standard definition MiniDv camcorder? For less than a used SD GL1 you can get a great new HD consumer camcorder.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-01-2012, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
get the canon M41. Also, never ever call it a 'cammie'.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-02-2012, 04:36 AM
Advanced Member

Don't say cammie.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-02-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the help. I'll take a look at the M41 and what compares. i'm mainly researching with CNET and Amazon and few other oddball sites. Amazon is a bit tricky with their reviews. somehow a 5 star review for a product is always top even if it's 3 stars overall.

I do not call them cammies, just a joke, but i didn't want to say "or as i like to call them..." because anyone that says that is a douche. turns out i was a douche anyway. noobs have a right to improper terminology. like i have a math degree and friends would always be like "i'm going to boredom class." math class is not "boredom class." just nooby lingo. from here on, i will only call comcorders "cammies" to people who are too uptight.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-02-2012, 02:06 PM

I second that Canon M41 recommendation. You may have a hard time finding it since it's been discontinued. The M51 is due any day now. In search if the perfect camcorder for me, I've tried a Sony CX360, Panasonic TM900, Canon HF M41 and Canon HF G10. All in a space of 2 weeks. I went for the G10, but the M41 is perfect for the budget u mentioned. Great both indoors on low light and outdoors.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-02-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by muskett32 View Post

The M51 is due any day now.

It's actually the HF M52 ($749) and has 32gb internal of storage and the HF M50 ($649) has 8gb - they're the same exact camera exact the M52 has 24gb more storage.

The HF500 has no storage/cards only and the main difference between the other two is it doesn't have built-in WiFi - which allows the transfer of files to your PC, phone or upload while in a hotspot without having to connect anything. This is the one time I think that the extra internal storage is useful - too bad it's $100 more. Otherwise, with cards, you never have to take them out of the camera. I haven't read the manual, am wondering if it will require plugging in the AC or if you could use wireless with just the battery.

None of them have a viewfinder or double slots. They're all supposed to have improved low light and an easier touch menu than the HFM4's. The WiFi is definitely cool and all, but for price the HF M500 is the best deal at $549 - which will drop.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-02-2012, 03:28 PM

If you want good reviews try www.camcorderinfo.com.
They used to be called cammieinfo.com but changed it ;-)

Don't forget to consider the lens focal length. I wanted a wide-angle so went for the Panasonic SD90. The M41 seems like a great camcorder, but the wide-angle of the TM/SD90 was the deciding factor.

Bill
post #9 of 11 Old 02-02-2012, 04:13 PM

Bill, That's a great point. In my case, low light performance was more important. So I went with the Canons.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-02-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:

Bill, That's a great point. In my case, low light performance was more important. So I went with the Canons.

And that's the danger of asking others for guidance in what you should buy. There's nothing like determining your own priorities, doing your own research, and coming up with the model that is best for YOU. Also, there are a lot of good camcorders out there, so even choosing the second best isn't always that bad a choice.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-08-2012, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I second that Canon M41 recommendation. You may have a hard time finding it since it's been discontinued. The M51 is due any day now. In search if the perfect camcorder for me, I've tried a Sony CX360, Panasonic TM900, Canon HF M41 and Canon HF G10. All in a space of 2 weeks. I went for the G10, but the M41 is perfect for the budget u mentioned. Great both indoors on low light and outdoors.

Canon HF G10 are sold for 1000-1100 these days. I got mine for 1050 two weeks back. I was confused myself a month back, and started a thread asking the same questions and annoying people with stupid repeated questions.. rambling between sony and hf g10
Finally ended up with the undisputed king of the prosumer grade the HF G10, and am ultra-happy with the purchase.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page