AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Camcorders (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/161-camcorders/)
-   -   On Vimeo: Example of what I learned here this last year! (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/161-camcorders/1394842-vimeo-example-what-i-learned-here-last-year.html)

bsprague 02-17-2012 07:22 PM

https://vimeo.com/36973087
A year ago I knew nothing about video. I had never shot video and never tried to put a story together. I had no understanding of SD cards, AVCHD, AVCHD DVDs, YouTube, Vimeo or 1080p. Nothing. Once, I had a wet dark room and a suitcase full of Nikon lenses. I could do 16 x 20 color prints. But, video? Not a clue.

I read here almost every day. Many of you answered my questions. I read the answers to everyone else's questions. As the year progressed, I tried to answer questions where I thought I could help.

Based on what I learned on this forum I bought a couple of camcorders and tried out various editing software. I shot lots of video. But most of it had no story.

I finally produced something I like. It was recorded with a Sony HX9V in 1080p. I had some footage I took with a Panasonic SDT-750 that was included. and then deleted. I used PMB to trim the clips and pull some stills for the extra slow motion.

I tried to learn Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 11 (what a title!) and quit when it stopped working. I ended up using Premier Elements 10.

PE 10 is loaded with junk that can create cute instant amateurish video themes. It also seems to have all the serious tools. Wonderful online trainig is available. To get the titles and slow motion to work, I had three or four timelines going at once. I have created versions for Vimeo, a DVD that plays HD on a Blu-Ray player, for my iPod and my computer.

I really had a lot of fun and I hope you enjoy seeing what you taught me how to do.

Thank you all for the help you have given me.

Bill

hushnow 02-17-2012 10:46 PM

That's great work Bill!

dan4081 02-18-2012 07:14 AM

Nice job Bill!

Ugh, but now that I read your story its gonna cost me countless hours finally sitting down and learning more about video editing.

Thanks for the inspiration

bsprague 02-18-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

Nice job Bill!

Ugh, but now that I read your story its gonna cost me countless hours finally sitting down and learning more about video editing.

Thanks for the inspiration

No it won't. Buy Premier Elements for less than $100, pay $25 for a month of lynda.com training and take the Premier Elements course. You sit down and watch extraordinarily good video training on your computer. You will be editing in a week. Two tops.

Paulo Teixeira 02-19-2012 08:25 AM

Watching that video, I was thinking about how much easier it is to use an M16 while I was in the military. It was definitely a time and both countries are close allies now.

bsprague 02-19-2012 08:46 AM

Apparently the Ferguson rifle failed for multiple reasons. The competition was the muzzle loading "Brown Bess" that was the primary rifle for 50 years. Even though you could only shoot about once per minute, the Brown Bess was a quarter the cost and didn't break as often. Additionally, the standards of war for the time didn't require rapid or accurate rifle fire. The solders lined up in a row with their guns pointed forward, marched forward and all fired together on command. Then a another row would advance from behind and fire. It was considered rude and unethical to actually aim at an enemy soldier. When enemy soldiers went down, it was from random bullets! So, the Ferguson simply was not useful even though it could be fired up to six times faster and was more accurate.

tingham 02-20-2012 06:41 PM

Nice work Bill and a very informative production..thanks for posting. Glad to see you enjoying your new hobby. Keep it up, it can be very gratifying when you view the results, as you know.