Panasonic TM900 vs Canon Vixia HF M500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-19-2012, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm looking for a quality prosumer camcorder to record interviews, music lessons, and music videos. I have a lot of experience with film SLR and DSLR still cameras, but I know very little about recording video. I'd like the option of manual features, but the convenience of full auto whenever possible. I'll be recording audio with a separate device, so in-camera mic quality is irrelivant.

My budget is $700.

At the end of march, I could buy an HF m500 for $550 (which leaves me $150 for an SDXC card and extra battery).
OR
Right now, I can buy a Panasonic TM900 for $700 on sale (it has 32gb of memory built in so i can put off buying an SDXC card).

The panisonic has some nice manual features like a focus ring and can shoot 1080p at 60fps (the canon only does 1080i at 60fps).

The canon is predicted to have 20% improved low-light and HDR performance over the already impressive 2011 vixias. The canon has more more auto functions than the panisonic does, and manual controls can be accessed via the touch screen (i think).

Both seem on par for features otherwise. My gut says i should get the canon for improved clarity in shadows and highlights. Should I wait for the canon or buy the panisonic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-20-2012, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelShooter View Post

Hi,

I'm looking for a quality prosumer camcorder to record interviews, music lessons, and music videos. I have a lot of experience with film SLR and DSLR still cameras, but I know very little about recording video. I'd like the option of manual features, but the convenience of full auto whenever possible. I'll be recording audio with a separate device, so in-camera mic quality is irrelivant.

My budget is $700.

At the end of march, I could buy an HF m500 for $550 (which leaves me $150 for an SDXC card and extra battery).
OR
Right now, I can buy a Panasonic TM900 for $700 on sale (it has 32gb of memory built in so i can put off buying an SDXC card).

The panisonic has some nice manual features like a focus ring and can shoot 1080p at 60fps (the canon only does 1080i at 60fps).

The canon is predicted to have 20% improved low-light and HDR performance over the already impressive 2011 vixias. The canon has more more auto functions than the panisonic does, and manual controls can be accessed via the touch screen (i think).

Both seem on par for features otherwise. My gut says i should get the canon for improved clarity in shadows and highlights. Should I wait for the canon or buy the panisonic?

Steel - my vote is for the TM900. You can get it for less than $700 new from several Amazon sellers on this page.

I bought a refurb'd TM900 from an Amazon seller and it was a great deal. But I only bought it after I had seen actual footage from the camera-- like these narrative pieces:

The Remote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Mkjtt5o6c
Actor Showreel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMUmq1kOk5s

As for the predictions of the M500's performance (or the upcoming Panasonic X900M's performance, for that matter) -- I'll have to see it first before I believe it :-)).

Good luck with your decision!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #3 of 3 Old 02-20-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I would watch as many TM900 and HFM400/40/41 videos as possible on YouTube and Vimeo; see what image you prefer as a starting point.

This is the HF M52 'first impressions' review, not the official review yet:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...ons-Review.htm

(Main difference is no WiFi or built-in storage on the HF M500.)
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page