Hague DMC stabilizer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-20-2012, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have a Canon 5Dmk2 and a 24-105 mm lens, and I'd like to shoot some video with it for a few personal projects. These involve walking with the camera and I find it really hard to avoid shaking. I've tried balancing the camera on a monopod, it helped but I am still getting some shaking when walking.

I've been doing some research on steadicams and I found this Hague DMC (cameragrip.co.uk/acatalog/hague_dmc_dslr_motion_cam_stabilizer.html). It seems to be one of the cheapest steadicams available (and my budget is really about what this one costs).
My question is if anyone have been using this particular model and do you think it's worth the price? Or do you know any other alternatives at this price that supports cameras with this weight (I think body+lens is about 1.5kg).

I find it harder to find feedback on this model than their smaller MMC which seems to be really good - but my camera and lens is too heavy for the MMC unfortunately

I hope someone can help me out Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 12:29 PM

Liked: 11
If no answer here, try cinema5d.com.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip
Old 02-21-2012, 03:18 PM

ShadowDK,

I have the mmc for my sd90 along with the adapted for the added weight. I love it! It's great for steadicam shots or just a static shot. I use it 99% of the time while filming everyday stuff to close ups. Worth the money

Ken
Old 02-23-2012, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply jdk504 I'm quite sure the MMC quite nice, but I'm just wondering if I can expect the DMC to work well too
Old 02-23-2012, 03:48 PM

Ya I know what you mean. Fortunately, for me my brother had one before I ordered mine. I researched a bunch of clips on Youtube which helped a lot too. Have you tried that?
Old 02-26-2012, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I've been looking on youtube but I'm mostly finding Hague's own clips I have been finding a little info here and there with someone having it, and it seems to be making good results, however, some also complains that it's difficult to setup (but I also find people saying it's easy :P)

I saw a quite surprising thing about the MMC though when searching - the handle seems to fall of very easily? You can see what I mean in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...zhl2Uqk#t=263s - is it doing this with your MMC too? Or perhaps the guys in the video just got a faulty item.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:50 AM

I've never had it fall off. I'm pretty rough on my stuff too. The handle has a ball joint that clicks into a socket. Its very secure and free moving. I find I get too much movement so I use a thin coating of suranwrap (sp?) over it which works great. Obviously the more time you spend with it the better you will get
Old 02-29-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0wDK View Post

Hi,
I've been doing some research on steadicams and I found this Hague DMC (cameragrip.co.uk/acatalog/hague_dmc_dslr_motion_cam_stabilizer.html). It seems to be one of the cheapest steadicams available (and my budget is really about what this one costs).
My question is if anyone have been using this particular model and do you think it's worth the price? Or do you know any other alternatives at this price that supports cameras with this weight (I think body+lens is about 1.5kg).

I have a different Hague stabilizer, for camcorders-- mine's more of a curved piece of metal. I've had good results with it.

Generally, these stabilizers gain most of their stability by keeping your camera _level_. One of the stresses in handheld shots is trying to hold your camera level, which means you're using your wrists a lot. The gimballed handle of these stabilizers takes a lot of that stress away.

And just keeping the camera _level_ has a profound effect. A real Steadicam also smooths out the shocks you get when you're walking or running. You'd need that arm to accomplish that. But you'll find that just keeping the camera level makes shots _very_ smooth. So you'll see a big improvement on your moving camerawork.

There are some trade-offs.

1) The camera's basically balancing on a gimbal or ball joint. So adjusting the camera during a shot is very difficult: it's best to find your settings and focus entirely on the movement during the shot.

2) The gimbal swivels as well, so you'll find that panning and aiming the camera can be a problem. Say you're facing north, and you pan to the east: the camera may simply remain pointing north, as it twists on the gimbal. I've fixed this by making a small wire loop that keeps the camera aimed where my arm is pointing, but which leaves the camera free to tilt (or not-tilt in this case).

3) Calibrating the unit isn't as much of a problem as you'd expect. Spirit levels are very helpful, tho.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

jdk504, you mean you put that wrap on on the ball joint?

BrianSiano3, regarding the trouble you mention with panning - isn't the small wheel above the handle used to sort of rotate the camera and aim it?

Btw, where did you guys order yours? On cameragrip.co.uk? Haven't seen it sold anywhere else really. If you bought it there, was the delivery time ok etc.?
Old 03-03-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0wDK View Post

BrianSiano3, regarding the trouble you mention with panning - isn't the small wheel above the handle used to sort of rotate the camera and aim it?

Well, I have a cheaper Hague stabilizer, which you can see at http://www.b-hague.co.uk/hague_mini_...stabilizer.htm.

It doesn't have a small wheel above the handle: fact is, the handle has a ball on its top, and the stabilizer has a socket underneath which rests over the ball. Panning doesn't mean that the camera will pan with you.

So I cut a U-shaped piece of wire that holds the camera in line with my hand and wrist. If I can, the camera pans, but stays level because it can tilt freely.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:39 PM

Shadow,

Yes I put the wrap over the ball (gimble) I have more control with it.
I experimented with how many layers of wrap vs other materials (wax paper, reg paper, etc.

I ordered from the uk store.
Shipping was like 50 dollArs or so but they are very fast. After I placed my order I got it in less than 3 days
Old 03-16-2012, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Hi again

I was about to order the Hague when I got in doubt if i should go for a Glidecam HD1000 instead. I realised I could (and should) use my 17-40mm lens instead which brings the total weight down to ~1.4 kg.

The Glidecam HD 1000 weight limit is 3.5 pounds (~1.6 kgs), at least according to the glidecam website - and together with the fact that I can get the HD 1000 at a quite good price in a local store I was considering if I should go for this as opposed to the Hague?

What do you think? Is the Glidecam HD 1000 a good stabilizer (for it's price)? And not too hard to balance and adjust?

To me it seems like the Glidecam is build a little better and it got more degrees of rotation than the DMC.

I know the weight may get a little close to the limit with the HD 1000 so there's not so much headroom, but I think it should be ok?

I don't know if I should make a new thread since it may be a little far from my original post, but I hope someone got some input