What editing programs work with 64 bit? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 02-29-2012, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi.

I just got a new computer with an Intel Core i7-2700 3.5 GHz 4 core processer with HyperThreading and Turbo Boost. It has 8 GB DDR3 Ram and a GeForce 220 video card. It has been loaded with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit program.
My Pinnacle 12 does not seem to work too well with this setup, and I am wondering what other inexpensive editing programs are out there that would work with this 64 bit system.

Thanks.
Railfan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-29-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Power Director "Ultra" version utilizes 64-bit and also GPU:

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/po...iew_en_US.html

http://www.cyberlink.com/store/power...buy_en_US.html
(Only the Ultra version utilizes 64-bit, not the Deluxe version.)

Never owned it, but that's the only program I am aware of that can use 64-bit in that way.

Adobe Premiere states it is "optimized" for 64-bit, but I am not sure if that entails the same thing.
Download the trials for both before you buy.
post #3 of 29 Old 02-29-2012, 11:01 AM

Liked: 11
I own it - version 10. Works fine with 64 bit. Check with PD forum if your video card can be set up for hardware acceleration - that would be an additional benefit.
post #4 of 29 Old 02-29-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I have the 64 bit version of Adobe Premier Elements 10 running on a Windows 7 i5 lap top. My videos, so far, are 10 minutes or less and I like the way it works. However, I have not run very many NLEs so I don't have much to compare to.

Bill
post #5 of 29 Old 02-29-2012, 04:15 PM

Liked: 10
Pinnacle 12 is an old version. Its not compatible with W-7. It's not a 64 bit issue, but a W-7 one.

Any current NLE will work with W-7 64 bit, but in 32 bit mode. Only the ones optimized for 64 bit, use the extra resources that 64 bit offers.

PD-10 (ultra version only) is 64 bit optimized.
post #6 of 29 Old 03-01-2012, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I did not think of the W-7 being a problem. Guess I'll have to purchase the pinnacle upgrade to 15.

I have tried the trial Power Directer10 and have a couple of questions about it:
1. Can you save your library from one project to another?
2. Can you burn an AVCHD video on a DL DVD disc of over one hour? In the trial, it will not recognize a DL DVD.
3. How do you build a music library?

Thanks
post #7 of 29 Old 03-01-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railfan View Post

Thanks. I did not think of the W-7 being a problem. Guess I'll have to purchase the pinnacle upgrade to 15.

I have tried the trial Power Directer10 and have a couple of questions about it:
1. Can you save your library from one project to another?
2. Can you burn an AVCHD video on a DL DVD disc of over one hour? In the trial, it will not recognize a DL DVD.
3. How do you build a music library?

Thanks

The PD10 trial does not export to AVCHD or HD/bluray, nor does it contain all the current patches. Someone else will have to answer the rest. If you purchase PD10, be sure to get the ultra version if you want 64bit HD.

Pinnacle 15 does nice HD and is simpler than PD10, but not 64 bit, and it only contains 2 video tracks. It's a year old, and they have not announced the new version yet.
post #8 of 29 Old 03-02-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks KY. Am currently trying to learn the Sony Movie Studio HD that I have on trial. Just enough difference from Pinnacle to give me problems, but I am making progress. Will give it the full month of the trial period before I give it my final judgement. The PD 10 trial is so limited in what can be done, it is hard to make an accurate judgement. Will download an Avid Studio HD trial after the PD 10 trial is over.

Since PD 10 trial is so limiting, can anyone give me a complete, thorough review of PD 10 Ultra?

bSprague, I am glad to see that you like Adobe Premier Elements 10. I have read several reports of it not being too stable (although not as bad as Pinnacle is reported to be). How is it for you? Can you give a detailed thorough review on it; ie picture quality, ease of use, and stability, etc.?

Also....Does anyone know if Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD, or Avid Studio HD, will be coming out with a 64 bit program soon? Would hate to buy now and then be disappointed in a couple or three months when something new comes out.
post #9 of 29 Old 03-03-2012, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi

Quote:

Thanks KY. Am currently trying to learn the Sony Movie Studio HD that I have on trial. Just enough difference from Pinnacle to give me problems, but I am making progress. Will give it the full month of the trial period before I give it my final judgement. The PD 10 trial is so limited in what can be done, it is hard to make an accurate judgement. Will download an Avid Studio HD trial after the PD 10 trial is over.

Since PD 10 trial is so limiting, can anyone give me a complete, thorough review of PD 10 Ultra?

bSprague, I am glad to see that you like Adobe Premier Elements 10. I have read several reports of it not being too stable (although not as bad as Pinnacle is reported to be). How is it for you? Can you give a detailed thorough review on it; ie picture quality, ease of use, and stability, etc.?

Also....Does anyone know if Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD, or Avid Studio HD, will be coming out with a 64 bit program soon? Would hate to buy now and then be disappointed in a couple or three months when something new comes out.

There isn't much benefit to editing using 64bit programs so I wouldn't worry. Also desktop x64 CPUs are actually still x86 processors, they just have extensions allowing them to access more memory using 64bit (Intel CPUs are called x86-64 to tell you this). This means they run x86 32bit programs natively so there is no reduction in speed, and so conversely so called 64bit applications don't usually run that much faster, but they do get the benefit of being able to grab more memory.

The bottleneck with editing on a PC isn't usually the memory, it's hard-disc speed and processing speed, throwing more memory at it doesn't usually help.

Enjoy editing with MovieStudio, you don't need to worry it is only 32bit, and it's a very good value editing package.

Regards

Phil
post #10 of 29 Old 03-07-2012, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry I have not answered lately. Lost power due to very heavy snow storm, no power for four days. However, it could have been worse; tornados.... My sympathies and prayers to those in the mid-south.

Now that I have power again (and heat), I can resume my testing of these editing programs.

Philip_L, thanks for the info. I am always learning.
post #11 of 29 Old 03-07-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

....bSprague, I am glad to see that you like Adobe Premier Elements 10. I have read several reports of it not being too stable (although not as bad as Pinnacle is reported to be). How is it for you? Can you give a detailed thorough review on it; ie picture quality, ease of use, and stability, etc.?...

-Where did you read that PRE 10 is not stable? Adobe has a forum open to the thousands that buy PRE 10 and occasionally a post will show up where someone with an old computer, low memory, Vista and bad computer skills has an issue. Premier Elements is a mature international Adobe mass market product that has been upgraded several times. If there are only "several reports of not being too stable", that is not many compared to the thousands worldwide that use it. Even Costco sells it sometimes. I have a $600 Toshiba Laptop with an i5 chip and Windows 7 64 bit. No issues.

-Picture quality is primarily dependent on the camcorder clips and my shooting skills. However, PRE Version 10 has a long list of effects that can adjust bad footage. Everything from white balance and color correction to camcorder shake adjustments are there. Some can be applied automatically or manually at the user's choice. It does not render 1080p to 1080p. It has a long list of presets for every other common delivery path from Vimeo to AVCHD DVDs, or even Blu-Rays if you have a burner. There are so many included effects and presets that nobody could possibly provide a quality, in depth, review. Some of the optional effects are complex enough that they deserve focused reviews themselves. In other words, how might the white balance correction in PRE 10 compare to Vegas Movie Studio, Vegas Pro, Avid, Pinnacle, Adobe CS 5.5, etc. Nobody will ever take the time to answer that question!

-It is easy to use if you want to do easy stuff. As a consumer product, it has optional features to make "instant movies" with "themes". It also has complex options like stacking multiple video, audio and narrative with fades, transitions and volume levels. The complex stuff can be very complicated, so that part takes awhile to learn, especially if you have never done it in any other editing software. Video training from lynda.com and video2brain helps me a lot. Again, it is not the software that makes it hard, it is understanding editing and all that can do.

My first "complex" video is about my brother shooting a rifle used by the British 250 years ago. I had about 20 minutes of original 1080p60 video and got it down to about 3 minutes. PRE 10 gave me the tools to create a moving title with a separate audio track, delete a few single words from the primary audio track and to stretch a 1/10th of a second sequence into an ultra slow motion 3 second clip. It then let me cut and paste the sound of the gun shot into the 3 second clip at 2.5 seconds.

The Vimeo version was created with the PRE 10 preset titled Vimeo HD. I don't know what Vimeo does to processes it after it gets the file, but you can see the picture quality at https://vimeo.com/36973087.

I used PRE 10 to also make a AVCHD DVD of the same video that played on a friend's Blu-Ray player onto his 52" flat screen. He is a retired graphic arts professor and he was impressed.
post #12 of 29 Old 03-07-2012, 08:05 AM

PD10 does offer a 30 day money back after you purchase the FULL version. I have been down with pneumonia for weeks so have not had a chance to give it a spin to offer up much more past that. I know it's highly praised by PC Magazine. Course, it's gonna have it's glitches but i have yet to see a editing program that doesn't in my searching.
post #13 of 29 Old 03-07-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Does anyone know if Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD, or Avid Studio HD, will be coming out with a 64 bit program soon? Would hate to buy now and then be disappointed in a couple or three months when something new comes out.

Disappointed with what? The only difference would be addressable space, everything else is pretty much the same. Also, you cannot load 32-bit DLL into 64-bit app and vice versa, so if you plan to use add-ons, they are most likely 32-bit and you won't be able to use them in 64-bit app.

I don't think Sony will release 64-bit Studio anytime soon, this is one of the differences that separates Studio from Pro, and they don't want to ruin their own market.
post #14 of 29 Old 03-07-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

bsprague-Thanks for the review. I am glad that you have had such success with PRE10. I read it (negative statements) somewhere, on some review or forum, can't remember where. Will have to find the free trial and give it a try.

A lot of my video projects are anywhere from fifteen minutes to two hours long. They cover everything from family get togethers, to documentaries covering modern day railroading. So, I don't ever need the cutsey (sp) stuff in my productions, just some good professional type tools to impress my audiances. By the way, do you ever use music backgrounds in any thing you do?

DeAnna, hope you feel better soon. Yes PD10 does make a hit with the reviewers. Can't really tell from the free trial sample. When you get better and have done some things with it, can you give me a review?

Ungermann. Sometimes my ignorance is right out there for all to see. I was/am just assuming that 64 bit editing programs on a 64 bit machine would run and perform better. It is good to learn new stuff. Thanks for the info.
post #15 of 29 Old 03-08-2012, 02:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 106
32 bit editing software will not perform much better on a 64 bit machine but if you use a 64 bit editing package you must use it on a 64 bit machine and this combo will be much faster both in timeline playback and rendering time. If you have a 64 bit computer, don't waste it on 32 bit editing.

I prefer Vegas Pro 64 bit v11 and Power Director Ultra ( mostly for 3D BD authoring ) but there are many other editing packages for 64 bit on the market. Power Director Ultra 10 is the best for the lowest cost, however.
post #16 of 29 Old 03-08-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

......my video projects are anywhere from fifteen minutes to two hours long. They cover everything from family get togethers, to documentaries covering modern day railroading. So, I don't ever need the cutsey (sp) stuff in my productions, just some good professional type tools to impress my audiances. By the way, do you ever use music backgrounds in any thing you do?......

- My point was that PRE 10 has important and serious creative tools in abundance. And, it also includes some cute, fun stuff for those that may want to use it. I have not used any of the cute stuff -- yet. Give me a list of the "professional" tools you normally use and I'll tell you if I've found them in PRE 10.

- How do you ever get someone to watch a video that's two hours long?

- PRE 10 has multiple audio tracks. My current project is about a small construction job. Instead of music for background, I'm using sound recorded of a nearby creek. I think the specs say there can be up to 99 audio and video tracks, but not sure. The default for a new project provides "Soundtrack" and "Narration" tracks in the timeline. Of course each video track has an associated audio track. The video and audio tracks can be unlinked so that the audio can be handled separately. Each and every active audio track ties to a mixer with graphic audio analyzer and slide controls. In other words, if you have a comment you want to add in a narration, you can lower the noise of the train to allow your audience to hear your voice and then raise the train noise again when you are done talking. Meanwhile you can adjust one or more background music tracks to suit the mood. There is a built in link to a supply of audio tracks or you can import anything you can find.

One PRE 10 feature in the menu system (I have not tried) is creating audio only MP3 files without any video.

Bill

PS: I occasionally see a guy by the tracks near where I keep my motorhome. He has a camcorder pointed down the rails and waits for trains. Any chance you live near Tacoma?
post #17 of 29 Old 03-08-2012, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Bill. I don't live anywhere near you, sorry. I live in Michigan.

The tools I use most of the time are some nice tastefull, not over the top, transitions, subtitles, menus, and music backgrounds. Some video correction tools and audio manipulation tools are important also. The music part is my next endeavor. I wish to find a good music program offering good music that I can use in a commercial product without infringing on copyrights, etc.

Family videos and other fun, non-commercial videos rarely last over one half hour, but the railroad videos can last from one hour to near two hours. It is amazing the market out there for them, although with the advent of Youtube, it is shrinking a bit. My other projects include short promotional videos for local clubs, etc.

Pinnacle has always worked well for me, with me being able to adjust volumes of the audio track, fix videos, and offering a decent choice of transitions, etc. Their free music background tracks are really cheap sounding and limited. That is their one big downfall as far as I am concerned. The reason I am looking for something new, is to refresh my interest and to expand the range of possible "looks" (qualities) of my projects.

On a side note, Nero is the only program I know that will duplicate and burn a copy of a music CD. Do you know of any others?

Mike
post #18 of 29 Old 03-14-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Still am waiting to see how things are with my free trials of Power Director 10 and with Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD. So far, PD10 trial is limiting, and the Vegas trial is somewhat confusing; a steep learning curve.

With the Vegas, how do you make a menu with chapters?
And with the PD10, can you burn an AVCHD DVD over one hour long on a dual layer DVD?

And finally, I will ask again; is Nero the only NLE that has an app that allows you to copy CDs and DVDs?

Thanks.
post #19 of 29 Old 03-14-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With the Vegas, how do you make a menu with chapters?

You need DVD Architect for that.
Quote:

And with the PD10, can you burn an AVCHD DVD over one hour long on a dual layer DVD?

This depends on bitrate only. I would suppose PD allows changing output bitrate, but maybe it does not. Maybe it has presets for everything (I did not like its rigid project presets). I don't know.
Quote:

And finally, I will ask again; is Nero the only NLE that has an app that allows you to copy CDs and DVDs?

ImgBurn.
post #20 of 29 Old 03-14-2012, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ungermann.

I have DVD Architect. Guess I will just have to "explore" it a bit more.

Can you explain a little more about the bitrates subject. I am not that educated about that.

What is imgburn?
post #21 of 29 Old 03-20-2012, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

OK, with help from others, I have been able to get my previous questions answered, so here is where I am at so far.

Power Director 10: I like this program, but am concerned about not being able to burn an AVCHD DVD finished project of over an hour on a dual layer DVD. Is this just because I am using a trial version? I don't want to have to change bitrates to accomplish this (although maybe that is what is actually happening automatically in Pinnacle when I burn a one hour plus AVCHD DVD).

Vegas Movie Studio HD 11. I like this program also, but have not been able to figure out how to burn an AVCHD DVD yet. All the program will let me do is burn a regular DVD or a Blue-ray disk; no AVCHD DVD choice. Is this also because I am using a trial version?

Have not yet downloaded the newest Pinnacle product, PRE10, nor Avid product. Still have yet to do that but will upon expiration of PD10 and Vegas trials.
post #22 of 29 Old 03-20-2012, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

-Where did you read that PRE 10 is not stable? Adobe has a forum open to the thousands that buy PRE 10 and occasionally a post will show up where someone with an old computer, low memory, Vista and bad computer skills has an issue. Premier Elements is a mature international Adobe mass market product that has been upgraded several times. If there are only "several reports of not being too stable", that is not many compared to the thousands worldwide that use it. Even Costco sells it sometimes. I have a $600 Toshiba Laptop with an i5 chip and Windows 7 64 bit. No issues.

-Picture quality is primarily dependent on the camcorder clips and my shooting skills. However, PRE Version 10 has a long list of effects that can adjust bad footage. Everything from white balance and color correction to camcorder shake adjustments are there. Some can be applied automatically or manually at the user's choice. It does not render 1080p to 1080p. It has a long list of presets for every other common delivery path from Vimeo to AVCHD DVDs, or even Blu-Rays if you have a burner. There are so many included effects and presets that nobody could possibly provide a quality, in depth, review. Some of the optional effects are complex enough that they deserve focused reviews themselves. In other words, how might the white balance correction in PRE 10 compare to Vegas Movie Studio, Vegas Pro, Avid, Pinnacle, Adobe CS 5.5, etc. Nobody will ever take the time to answer that question!

-It is easy to use if you want to do easy stuff. As a consumer product, it has optional features to make "instant movies" with "themes". It also has complex options like stacking multiple video, audio and narrative with fades, transitions and volume levels. The complex stuff can be very complicated, so that part takes awhile to learn, especially if you have never done it in any other editing software. Video training from lynda.com and video2brain helps me a lot. Again, it is not the software that makes it hard, it is understanding editing and all that can do.

My first "complex" video is about my brother shooting a rifle used by the British 250 years ago. I had about 20 minutes of original 1080p60 video and got it down to about 3 minutes. PRE 10 gave me the tools to create a moving title with a separate audio track, delete a few single words from the primary audio track and to stretch a 1/10th of a second sequence into an ultra slow motion 3 second clip. It then let me cut and paste the sound of the gun shot into the 3 second clip at 2.5 seconds.

The Vimeo version was created with the PRE 10 preset titled Vimeo HD. I don't know what Vimeo does to processes it after it gets the file, but you can see the picture quality at https://vimeo.com/36973087.

I used PRE 10 to also make a AVCHD DVD of the same video that played on a friend's Blu-Ray player onto his 52" flat screen. He is a retired graphic arts professor and he was impressed.

Very nice video of the British rifle.
post #23 of 29 Old 03-20-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very nice video of the British rifle.

Thank you for the compliment.

Bill
post #24 of 29 Old 03-20-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

....Vegas Movie Studio HD 11. I like this program also, but have not been able to figure out how to burn an AVCHD DVD yet. All the program will let me do is burn a regular DVD or a Blue-ray disk; no AVCHD DVD choice. Is this also because I am using a trial version?

Reading at http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...ssageID=793652 suggests you may not be able to get that to work well, trial version or not.
post #25 of 29 Old 03-20-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

......Power Director 10: I like this program, but am concerned about not being able to burn an AVCHD DVD finished project of over an hour on a dual layer DVD. Is this just because I am using a trial version? .....

Trial versions will normally do everything the paid for versions will do. You may have to invest in a Blu-Ray burner to do hour long HD video. I've not tried it, but the reading I've done suggests 20 minutes to a half hour are the most you will get. I have not read that double layer even works for AVCHD. Generally, most say up to about a half hour or buy a BD burner.
post #26 of 29 Old 03-20-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Reading at http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...ssageID=793652 suggests you may not be able to get that to work well, trial version or not.

I have DVDA 5.2 build 124, and it allows creating BD on DVD, although it does not offer AVCHD profile. AFAIK, AVCHD and BD on DVD differ a little bit, some players may not care. My current BD player does not seem to care, although I use MultiAVCHD for authoring, I don't use DVD Architect.
LL
post #27 of 29 Old 03-20-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Trial versions will normally do everything the paid for versions will do. You may have to invest in a Blu-Ray burner to do hour long HD video. I've not tried it, but the reading I've done suggests 20 minutes to a half hour are the most you will get. I have not read that double layer even works for AVCHD. Generally, most say up to about a half hour or buy a BD burner.

Actually, I stand corrected. After looking over my library of finished DVDs, my AVCHD DVDs are all just less than one hour long (55 mins.) on dual layered DVDs. The regular DVDs are longer than one hour on dual layer DVDs.

I appreciate your replies, though. They started making me rethink what I had previously produced. Getting old sucks.
post #28 of 29 Old 03-20-2012, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

I have DVDA 5.2 build 124, and it allows creating BD on DVD, although it does not offer AVCHD profile. AFAIK, AVCHD and BD on DVD differ a little bit, some players may not care. My current BD player does not seem to care, although I use MultiAVCHD for authoring, I don't use DVD Architect.

So far, I have been able to play my AVCHD DVDs on any of my BD players to date, including my PS3. The AVCHD DVDs look and sound fantastic when edited/produced by Nero 9, and Power Director 10. My older version of Pinnacle (12), the sound is not near as good but the picture is wonderful.

What is DVDA 5.2 build 124?
post #29 of 29 Old 03-20-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

........What is DVDA 5.2 build 124?

Sony Digital Video Disk (DVD) Architect Version 5.2, update 124. It comes with Vegas Movie Studio and maybe Vegas Pro.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page