Hockey video - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-01-2012, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I have started a separate thread with this video rather than put it in the TM900 thread because I know a number of contributors here are interested in shooting hockey, as well as other sports.

Hockey is very challenging to shoot:

1. The arenas are dimly lit. In this case, the typical wide angle shot was f1.5 with 5db of gain. Zooming reduces the maximum iris to f2.8 with the TM900, resulting in the need for more gain and noise.

2. The expanse of bright off-white ice reflecting back to the camera will typically lead to underexposure (backlighting) and dark videos, with players dim. Either manual exposure or ev+ settings are needed if auto exposure is used (of course the shutter is fixed). I used manual exposure for the most part, and shutter fixed at 1/60th. I considered shooting some parts at 1/125th for slo-mo effects, but given the dim light I decided to stick with 1/60th. The problem with fixing exposure is that the rink is not evenly lit (darker corners)

3. The action is very fast, so there is plenty of panning and zooming required to follow and view the action. And, basically it is not possible to do that well without a viewfinder. I did not have trouble following the puck, the fast skating and the quick passes using the viewfinder.

4. To make an interesting video, crowd or band shots are useful, but typically the lighting for the crowd is not only dim, it is of different color balance from the playing ice. This requires constantly watching for and altering the color balance and exposure.

5. There is a lot of end-to-end *in*action. To get any good stuff you have to shoot a lot of video, as something interesting comes at random times. So, you need a minimum of 16GB for one game (at 28Mbps 108060p) and a full battery. And then after you need to go through all the clips and find the action. And edit, a lot.

6. And there is that darn, discolored glass surrounding the rink!

So, 108060p - progressive video - is needed for best results given both the fast action and the need for relatively fast (not too fast!) camera panning. And so is a viewfinder and a good variable-speed, controllable zoom. And, as it is unlikely you can bring a tripod to a real game, you need good stabilization. The video here was shot handheld, but there is no shaky cam at all.

In addition to these challenges, there are issues relating to sound. The indoor arena amplifies crowd noise and any music (which is designed to be loud anyway). Autogain audio prevents overloading from the loud sound, but will during the more quiet parts of the actual game push up ambient noise unnaturally and annoyingly. In this video I used the lowest manual audio setting possible - the audio captures the near-deafening levels of the pep
band, but also the sound of sticks on pucks and skates on ice that add to the sense of being there - the full dynamic range.

This video is the rough cut - no transitions or titles or narration, which are added later. I did not try to be especially creative here, just aimed to convey the experience of being at the game. The video clips were not altered in any way but through trimming. If you download the video and play it on a good HDTV you will view the video as delivered by the camera. Vimeo videos are converted to 30p; the original (downloadable) video, at 60p, shows ultrasmooth, realistic hockey action.

http://vimeo.com/37751356
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-01-2012, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Fantastic! Did you change WB going from behing the glass?
post #3 of 9 Old 03-01-2012, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes. The "glass" is yellowish, and I have some clips where everything shot through it has that tone. The WB in auto sometimes does not shift very quickly when it needs to.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-02-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Mark,

I like your video.

My favorite part is that it appears you have mastered the controls of the camcorder. In other words, it appears you are intuitively adjusting settings, zooming and panning while your "creative inner eye" is focused on capturing the action.

On the critical side, it needs a title to set up who is playing who. Perhaps you could add a short interview with the coach suggesting how tough the opponents are. Maybe some scoreboard shots to suggest who is winning would be nice.

If the video is for the players, none of my suggestions would count because they would know all that.

Again, the shooting is excellent!

Bill
post #5 of 9 Old 03-12-2012, 07:36 AM

Here is my little hockey video: https://vimeo.com/38363665
This was recorded with 1080 60p. After rendering 60p this video looks ridiculously sharp on 50” TV. Not NHL broadcast, but better then college games on WBIN (Hockey East).
I know I should control camera better, but I really wanted to watch the game - this was a 7:5 rollocoaster and I have two boys skating.
I also was experimenting with saturation and little bit overblew the colors.
This rink had a decent lighting (for youth hockey) and I could stay with ISO 400.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-12-2012, 01:22 PM

Liked: 10
bobk77,
I'm pretty impressed with your video, especially knowing that you're shooting with a Panny DMC FZ150. Was WB on auto? If it was it looks great.

Mark,
Great video with amazing clarity, but WB seems a bit off compared to bobk77's and the espn video I use as a reference. You may want to adjust WB for future videos. There's a yellowish tint to the girls' white uniforms. I'm no expert. Just want to give my opinion on what I see on my computer screen.
http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/scoreboard

OIS is great on both. Did any of you use a monopod?
post #7 of 9 Old 03-12-2012, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't see any yellowish tint in the white uniforms on my viewing screens - others? I correct for wb on site, and I didn't see it when I was shooting. Indeed, I had to correct wb for the yellowish glass when I was shooting through glass.

All handheld.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-12-2012, 02:49 PM

I don't see yellowish tint in the white uniforms om Mark's video - they look perfectly white on my monitor. TM video is definetely more detailed. I think this is a combination of the better lens
1.5 vs.2.8 and better lighting for college games (lower ISO?). WB on TM700 drove me nuts.
I used iA/"Happy Color" TZ150 for video - all hand held. Colors are little bit over saturated.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-13-2012, 04:22 PM

Liked: 10
Mark,
The whites look whiter in Bob's and the ESPN's videos compared to yours, but it could also be that the actual uniforms themselves are in fact whiter. Anyhow, glad you corrected the WB.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page