Indoor concert filming with Sony XR550V. Thinking of purchasing a Pany GH2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 03-05-2012, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Reasons of adding this:

1. To use as a dedicated picture camera for a photo shoot of the singers for poster advertisement for the local concert.

2. To use it as an additional camcorder to my Sony XR550V to film at the concert. The problem is I'm the only one filming, so I'd have to leave one camcorder on a tripod pointing directly to the stage while using the other to move around to film at other angles, backstage, etc... My question is should I leave the GH2 or the XR550 on the tripod?

From my research, the GH2 is highly recommended, but I can purchase any camera with a $1500 budget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post

Reasons of adding this:

1. To use as a dedicated picture camera for a photo shoot of the singers for poster advertisement for the local concert.

2. To use it as an additional camcorder to my Sony XR550V to film at the concert. The problem is I'm the only one filming, so I'd have to leave one camcorder on a tripod pointing directly to the stage while using the other to move around to film at other angles, backstage, etc... My question is should I leave the GH2 or the XR550 on the tripod?

From my research, the GH2 is highly recommended, but I can purchase any camera with a $1500 budget.

Darkside,

You can really do either, since the GH2 has unlimited continuous recording (with minimal moire), something none of the other interchangeable lens DSL still/video hybrid cameras can match.

But once you've done some practicing with the GH2 and are comfortable with it, I suggest putting the Sony on the tripod and doing the B roll with the GH2. My guess is that you will need something faster than the 14-42 kit lens for concert shooting, but I recommend you get the camera with the lens anyway because it is $900 at Unique Photo (the same price as body-only at Amazon) and pick up a used 20mm f1.7 pancake lens for $400 to go with it.

That way, you'll have a couple of hundred left over for a $70 monopod an $81 external mic and a $41 on-camera light.

Here are a couple of examples of GH2 concert footage with the 14-42 - note that in the first one, the shooter wishes he had a monopod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh5gP4LrdZo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3klWc...eature=related

Good luck with your decision - and please let us know how it turns out,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #3 of 16 Old 03-05-2012, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Reasons of adding this:

i have a sony xr550 and nikon d300s....brought both to family vacation last week....family member also brought sony cx700 and panny tm700....was able to share charger and battery with sony...but not the panny....

buy a second camcorder instead of still camera GH2....more memorable family shots taken by my sony xr550 camcorder than photo shots taken by my nikon d300s...

also buy same brand...so you can interchange wide angle lens...battery and charger...and video files....
post #4 of 16 Old 03-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

spyker - the first reason Darkside said he wanted the camera was " ...[t]o use as a dedicated picture camera for a photo shoot of the singers for poster advertisement for the local concert".

Hard to think of a camcorder with the still resolution, interchangeable lenses, flash capability and ergonomics to handle that job. I have shot with the $1598 (body-only) NEX-VG20, which takes great stills, but I wouldn't use it on a pro still photo shoot because of its crummy little viewfinder.

I would have recommended a camcorder too, if he didn't have the poster requirement.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #5 of 16 Old 03-07-2012, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunerww View Post

spyker - the first reason Darkside said he wanted the camera was " ...[t]o use as a dedicated picture camera for a photo shoot of the singers for poster advertisement for the local concert".

Hard to think of a camcorder with the still resolution, interchangeable lenses, flash capability and ergonomics to handle that job. I have shot with the $1598 (body-only) NEX-VG20, which takes great stills, but I wouldn't use it on a pro still photo shoot because of its crummy little viewfinder.

I would have recommended a camcorder too, if he didn't have the poster requirement.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

if that is the case....my advice is still buy a second camcorder...and let other people worry about the still pictures to put into the posters.

i bought the book 'how to shoot video that doesn't suck' recomended by a poster on other thread... it say don't mix video and still picture on your video.... just like watching movies.... and movies are shoot with diifferent angles with multiple video cameras... and less than 10 seconds per scene and goes to different angles make video more exciting... rather than stationary video... just sharing
post #6 of 16 Old 03-07-2012, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the recommendation Bill. I just ordered a GH2 at B&H, because I already have an existing account there for the same price, $900.

Since the GH2 comes with an EVF instead of mirrors, can we even call it a DSLR?
post #7 of 16 Old 03-08-2012, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Thanks for the recommendation Bill. I just ordered a GH2 at B&H, because I already have an existing account there for the same price, $900.

I have filmed bands in very low light - eg, @ ISO6400, with my Canon 60D.

After denoising with NEATVIDEO pluging in Aftereffects, the video is beautiful - NV knocks the noise out completely, and preserves the detail.

I believe NV works so well due to the small fine grained noise grom the 60D, even @ ISO 6400. I believe the 60D is waaay superiour to the GH2 to use in low light in this regard.

Also, there are 200+ lenses specifically made for the 60D, the same cannot be said for the GH2.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-08-2012, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Congratulations! A good deal from B&H - love those guys. I think you'll like the GH2, it's a great camera for pro stills and video.

Quote:

That's a great question. Sony calls their alpha line with the "translucent" mirror a "DSLT". I've been lobbying for DSLM (for "mirrorless") but no one has picked it up, so far :-)

It would be fun to go into a store and ask for a "D-SLAM" camera and watch the salespeoples' heads go tilt.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-08-2012, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepster returns View Post

After denoising with NEATVIDEO pluging in Aftereffects, the video is beautiful - NV knocks the noise out completely, and preserves the detail.

I believe NV works so well due to the small fine grained noise grom the 60D, even @ ISO 6400. I believe the 60D is waaay superiour to the GH2 to use in low light in this regard.

Also, there are 200+ lenses specifically made for the 60D, the same cannot be said for the GH2.

Pepster - The 60D is a great camera. I loved my Canon T2i (same sensor as the 60D), but I sold it after I bought the GH2 and saw what it could do.

With the T2i I couldn't autofocus in video mode, but with my new GH2 I could. My T2i stopped recording after 12 minutes, but with my GH2 I could record until the batteries ran out or the SD card ran out of memory. With my T2i, the viewfinder went dark and I had to use the LCD when I wanted to record a video, but with the GH2 I could switch from stills to video without my eye ever leaving the viewfinder.

Not to mention Canon's moire problem with shingled roofs and patterned fabrics.

Lots of people shoot lots of wonderful looking video with Canons, despite their limitations - but I didn't want to work that hard.

Best,

Bill
post #10 of 16 Old 03-08-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunerww View Post

It would be fun to go into a store and ask for a "D-SLAM" camera and watch the salespeoples' heads go tilt.

LOL. I can hear them asking, "Which team are you talking about? Lakers or Dodgers?"

Anyway, if the GH2 comes with 1.1 firmware, do you think I should load the hack? I guess my actual question should be how often do you film >24Mb/s? I tried to compare 17Mb/s and 24Mb/s with my XR550V and couldn't tell the difference with my untrained eyes.

I also want to make sure I can still burn a BD without compatibility issues when filming at high bitrate settings.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...if the GH2 comes with 1.1 firmware, do you think I should load the hack?

I was thinking about loading a stable low bit rate (30-50mbps) hack before 1.1 came out, but changed my mind after I saw 1.1. It is fabulous. I've seen better results from the hack, but 24mbps is fast enough for me.

EDIT: Here is a discussion on the same topic over at dvxuser. Check out the unhacked video example in the first post.

Quote:

...I guess my actual question should be how often do you film >24Mb/s?

I am a little sloppy and inconsistent here. When I have time to plan my shots, I routinely shoot 30fps and 24 mbps HBR (high bit rate). When I am in a hurry, or I'm not thinking, I'll just hit the button on top of the camera and shoot 1080/60i. When I want 60fps for slo mo, I'll switch to 720/60p.

I guess the answer to the question is, a lot.

Quote:

I also want to make sure I can still burn a BD without compatibility issues when filming at high bitrate settings...

The bit rate at which the file is recorded should not be a factor in burning discs.

Hope this is helpful.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-20-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

I have tried the GH2 out for a few days now with the new 1.1 firmware. Although I like the camera a lot, it's not for me.

I ended up returning the GH2 and purchasing the superzoom FZ150 instead. I know Mark said that its video in marginal compared to even the P&S Hx9v.

2 main things I like about the FZ150 over the GH2:

1) Raw photo format for editing. This is a priority to purchasing this camera, since I already have a Sony XR550V for video.

2) Lens - 24x zoom (35mm equivalent - 25mm-600mm). This makes it act more like a traditional camcorder. Personally, I don't like changing lens on the GH2, even though its mirco 4/3 form factor is much small than traditional DSLR's. The less equipment I have to carry, the better.

I guess I'm settling the video quality for the superior photo quality.

Thanks everyone for your input.

P.S. Bill, I don't know your wife, but I can hear her telling me that this GH2 "mini me" is perfect for my need
post #13 of 16 Old 03-20-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepster returns View Post

I have a T2i, basically the same as 60D. I hear conflicted reports. Some say 60D/T2i are better in low light and other say GH2 because it's cleaner at higher ISOs, though NeatVideo is a great option for removing noise at higher ISOs. Though the GH2 may not have more lenses designed specifically for it it can be adapted to way more lenses.

I've been considering selling my beloved T2i for a GH2 for the resolution, better compression (especially after the hack) and image cleanness, but am worried about the losing low light ability (though I plan to invest in F2.0 and faster lenses) and picture styles.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-21-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

I have tried the GH2 out for a few days now with the new 1.1 firmware. Although I like the camera a lot, it's not for me.

I ended up returning the GH2 and purchasing the superzoom FZ150 instead. I know Mark said that its video in marginal compared to even the P&S Hx9v.

2 main things I like about the FZ150 over the GH2:

1) Raw photo format for editing. This is a priority to purchasing this camera, since I already have a Sony XR550V for video.

2) Lens - 24x zoom (35mm equivalent - 25mm-600mm). This makes it act more like a traditional camcorder. Personally, I don't like changing lens on the GH2, even though its mirco 4/3 form factor is much small than traditional DSLR's. The less equipment I have to carry, the better.

I guess I'm settling the video quality for the superior photo quality.

Thanks everyone for your input.

P.S. Bill, I don't know your wife, but I can hear her telling me that this GH2 "mini me" is perfect for my need

I have both ,the FZ150 is my wildlife video camera because of its 24x lens 1.7 adaptor and 1.3 ie zoom, in every respect of video and stills quality th GH2 is way ahead though.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-22-2012, 03:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...I ended up returning the GH2 and purchasing the superzoom FZ150 instead...

Sounds like this is a great choice for your style of shooting! As I just wrote on my blog,

" I love my GH1 & GH2, but they take the most work to get great still/movie images. The TM900 takes less work, but you still have to understand white balance and iris and shutter speed, etc. to stay out of trouble. But the FZ150 takes almost zero effort to get great images. When I just want to pick up the camera and shoot, I pick up my wife's FZ150. Bonus: it's the least expensive!"

Happy hybrid still/video shooting,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #16 of 16 Old 03-22-2012, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK7uoV5OtfU
The fact WB was not 100% on the FZ150 does not alter the huge resoution difference that is more apparent the bigger the tv display.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page