I'm making my first Independent film. Need help on camera! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-14-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everybody! My Fiance and I have been working on a screenplay for a long amount of time. And we are ready to shoot. We have been saving money up aside and we aren't sure if she should go for a camcorder or a DSLR... I've been looking at T2i's and HF10's/HF20's on ebay for REALLY prices.. Found a HF10 going for $150... Anyway I'm trying to achieve a similar look of what they had on the movie Crank 2 High Voltage.. their main camera was an XHA1.. I do not have money for that.. My budget is mostly probably under $500 I've been looking at HF20 videos on vimeo and golly im impressed! But you guys here are the pros and I need help.. I will also be editing on a Laptop. 3 Core processor with 4GB of RAM with Sony Vegas Pro.. I would really appreciate any help. Thank you!

-Mikey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-14-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Myself, I would investigate a DSLR ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #3 of 11 Old 03-14-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Anything will do. The HF10 is as good as anything else.
post #4 of 11 Old 03-14-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
If you ever plan on trying to see if it can ever be in a theater, I'd make sure what ever camera you choose, can shoot in 24p.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-15-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDaMan View Post

Hello everybody! My Fiance and I have been working on a screenplay for a long amount of time. And we are ready to shoot. We have been saving money up aside and we aren't sure if she should go for a camcorder or a DSLR... I've been looking at T2i's and HF10's/HF20's on ebay for REALLY prices.. Found a HF10 going for $150... Anyway I'm trying to achieve a similar look of what they had on the movie Crank 2 High Voltage.. their main camera was an XHA1.. I do not have money for that.. My budget is mostly probably under $500 I've been looking at HF20 videos on vimeo and golly im impressed! But you guys here are the pros and I need help.. I will also be editing on a Laptop. 3 Core processor with 4GB of RAM with Sony Vegas Pro.. I would really appreciate any help. Thank you!

-Mikey

T2i is better for filmmaking, but there is a learning curve. You'll want to learn how to pull focus manually, which is what virtually all filmmakers do anyway. I'd recommend the T2i with the Magic Lantern firmware hack. Many valuable pro features are added and it's super easy. The T2i smokes the XHA1 though for filmmaking. Download a picture style like Mavel's Cinema (the newest one) or CineStyle if you can grade well.

I shot this fake horror teaser trailer with random clips I had shot here and there (with the exception of the dusting effect):

(You may need to click the button on the video to change it to HD or it may play in 360p, especially when full screened)

THE EVIL DARK (HORROR TEASER)

(My SUPER SPEED special fx click)

Do not forget what a HUGE part audio is in filmmaking. Most people don't really have a clue. If the camera has automatic gain either record audio separately or use a camera that has manual audio. I hacked my T2i so I could manually adjust the audio gain. That automatic gain control KILLS the sound quality.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-15-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson View Post

T2i is better for filmmaking...

Doesn't the T2i have overheating issues that if someone were to do an extensive shoot during the day, they may have to wait for the camera to cool down before continuing? (At least that's what I heard.)

FWIU, the T3i fixed the overheating issue.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-15-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

Doesn't the T2i have overheating issues that if someone were to do an extensive shoot during the day, they may have to wait for the camera to cool down before continuing? (At least that's what I heard.)

FWIU, the T3i fixed the overheating issue.

It can if you're shooting a lot, but I just stop recording after takes and what not to keep it from happening much. I'd go with a T3i then. Forgot about that one. About the same camera but the articulating lcd that helps a lot if you need to record odd angles and such.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-16-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
It is easy to say "shoot it with this camera or that camera," but it really depends on a few things.
1. Your budget (rental is a good way to go)
2. the look/quality you want
3. your filming style
4. the skill of your crew

DSLRs and 4K RED cams are great if you have the budget, the supporting rigs to get the shots you want, and the skill of the crew to get it right. It's impossible to get good shots by handholding the camera, and movie full of static shots are boring. Usually you would need a portable sound recorder too, so you can get good quality audio.

If your budget and crew are limited, but you can still afford to go this way, I would rent a Sony PMW-EX1 or EX3. The camera works very well as hand-held. You do not need to worry about lens costs, it's a very good Fujinon built-in lens, the camera is very practical, and its 2/3'' sensors still give a pretty good shallow DOF, not as shallow as 35mm. I think it still looks great for an indy film. You get 1080/24p with XLR inputs, and you can get away with no steadicams or Zacuto rigs.

I would rather watch a well-filmed production on an EX1 than a shaky, boring video from a 5D Mk2 where every shot is the amateur film maker trying to show off the shallow DOF. In Hollywood movies, those shots are rare anyway. It's only noobs that do that and tell everyone how "Hollywood" it looks.

So, rent an EX1 or EX3 - the only difference is the EX3 is more ergonomic (which is a good thing).
Rent a good 3-point lighting kit.
Rent a Sennheiser 416 with a boom pole.

If you can do all your filming in 1 day, this will meet your budget. This requires good planning and time management though. Some places may give you the same deal for a whole weekend, so it's worth calling around.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-16-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevypower View Post

So, rent an EX1 or EX3 - the only difference is the EX3 is more ergonomic (which is a good thing).
Rent a good 3-point lighting kit.
Rent a Sennheiser 416 with a boom pole.

If you can do all your filming in 1 day, this will meet your budget. This requires good planning and time management though. Some places may give you the same deal for a whole weekend, so it's worth calling around.

It doesn't sound like the OP has much experience and he would have to find someone who knows how to use the camera for that one day.
You make a practical suggestion, but I think the OP wants to get a camera, practice and film himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDaMan View Post

Found a HF10 going for $150... Anyway I'm trying to achieve a similar look of what they had on the movie Crank 2 High Voltage.. their main camera was an XHA1.. I do not have money for that..

TV mode (on Canon HF) and fast shutter, i.e. 1/1000
But you need a lot of light with the faster shutter speeds. Notice there are a lot of sunny, outdoor shots in Crank 2.

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/HD...study_06.shtml
post #10 of 11 Old 09-06-2012, 08:25 AM

Liked: 10
Start with a DSLR
post #11 of 11 Old 09-07-2012, 09:49 AM

Liked: 11
I have both, and I would suggest trying with the Canon. I have a DSLR and a Canon HF100 right now with its Canon mic and the 1.5 and .7 teleconvertors. I've done a lot of webstuff for clients and have the the past done video and film commercials. Here's my take. Get the free "Handbrake Software" and try it with the Canon. Canon wraps it 24/30P stuff in a 60i wrapper, you will need to use the default setting in Handbrake to get true 24P (the detelecine filter in HB) from the 24PF the Canon has, and the Deinterlace filter with default setting for 30P. You can also use a provide Cinema setting along with the 24PF frame rate. You will probably need a wideangle convertor (ebay? or Amazon) for indoor shoots. If you can find the Canon Mic it works well and the sound is fairly good if you manually control the levels on the camera.

A DSLR is a completely different story. You will needs a $1000 or so for the extras that make a DSLR a good video camera. Then you will need a much better tripod. For the Canon a used manfrotto/bogen 2001 with a 124 fluid head will work. Ebay/Craigslist for under $125 for both. A low end set of sticks and an inexpenisve manfrotto had will be between $600 and a $1000 dollars. Lenses - you could try kit and consumer lenses - still a $1000, or you can put $5000 to $10,000 in a set of pro lens (wide angle zoom, medium zoom, long zoom, perhaps a telephoto).

I'd try the Canon, BTW Cameta has the Canon 301M refurbished for $189 and it has all of the features as the HF10 plus a much higher bit rate.

Good luck.
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page