The Official Panasonic HC-X900M Owners thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 236 Old 04-04-2013, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What External Mic is recommended for this camcorder?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 236 Old 04-22-2013, 12:01 PM

How can i connect camera to pc for livestream (like web-cam)? HDMI or USB?

Tnx
post #183 of 236 Old 04-23-2013, 11:00 AM

just to conclude and sorry I only found time to reply now:
the camera was in service for just under 2 weeks, it arrived working normal with no more issues with Manual WB, inside was the technician report stating" costumer description fault not preset, camera works with no faults"
I think it must of fully reset during almost 1 week with the battery disconnected to it in the box.
Thanks for all the attention!!!
Reg:
Ruca
post #184 of 236 Old 05-06-2013, 11:17 AM

Is Panasonic HC-X900M compatible with Cerevo LiveShell ?
post #185 of 236 Old 05-06-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpetje View Post

How can i connect camera to pc for livestream (like web-cam)? HDMI or USB?

Tnx

HDMI
post #186 of 236 Old 05-10-2013, 11:37 AM

I am using the Rode Video mic Pro and I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer for me.
First..do I use the external mic with the internal sound level set to AUTO or do I adjust sound level manually.
second..I'm not sure what AGC is but when using Ext Mic should I have this ON or OFF?
third........If filming a band in a crowded room that is noisy what setting on the Rode should I have it set on and what about internal sound levels??
post #187 of 236 Old 05-10-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess you should change your moniker to audiodummy smile.gif

Most people shooting video do not pay attention to audio and it is really important. One reason they don't is that on most cameras there is agc - auto gain control. What it does is to ensure no matter what the sound level actually is it is recorded at one high level. It thus never overloads, but there are no dynamics whatsoever. In a quiet room you hear a lot of noise as the agc pumps up the naturally low sounds to be at that high level for the recording.

OK, so why do we care? Well if you are recording a voice (talking head), the agc may pump up the background noise between sentence pauses - very unnatural. If one is recording classical music, you lose all the dynamics that are part of that genre (you know, pianissimo, crescendo, etc.).

Now if you are recording an amplified rock band, all their music is already gain controlled to be always loud. For that agc is fine as it will prevent overload (unless the mic is overloaded). There are no dynamics. it is just loud. (There may be a gain switch on the mic, check that out).

So, first you have to decide whether you want to continue with agc. If not, then using an internal or external mic, you turn off the agc (the camera audio controls affect both the internal mic or the mic that is plugged in). You then have to choose the audio level manually. And what that setting is depends on, guess what? - what you are recording and how far you are from the source. The camera has meters to guide you - you want the loudest sound to reach -6db and never go in the red. If it does, you get some ugly, nasty noise. If you record too low, the signal-noise ratio will be poor. It is hard to do audio recording.

Which is why most people don't bother to turn off agc.

And, btw, recording anything with the mic on the camera is a really bad idea - you want the mic near the source not the camera. But that is hard to do.
post #188 of 236 Old 05-10-2013, 04:11 PM

Is these any way to use a good radio mic with x900?
post #189 of 236 Old 05-10-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysi View Post

Is these any way to use a good radio mic with x900?

The camcorder doesn't care whether the mic is a radio mic or a tv mic smile.gif. First, what mic are you talking about? The camcorder has a 3.5mm mic in for unbalanced mic input. That is what it needs. If the radio mic has that, you are fine. You cannot use balanced line inputs with xlr connectors that require phantom power. Mics that require "plug-in power are fine.
post #190 of 236 Old 05-10-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

The camcorder doesn't care whether the mic is a radio mic or a tv mic smile.gif. First, what mic are you talking about? The camcorder has a 3.5mm mic in for unbalanced mic input. That is what it needs. If the radio mic has that, you are fine. You cannot use balanced line inputs with xlr connectors that require phantom power. Mics that require "plug-in power are fine.

Thanks for your responce! Sorry, I didn't word it correctly. I wanted to know if it's possible to use some kind of remote mic with X900. But after what you said, I'm guessing it's not possible since, if I understand this correctly, an xrl connection is needed for something like that.
post #191 of 236 Old 05-10-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for your responce! Sorry, I didn't word it correctly. I wanted to know if it's possible to use some kind of remote mic with X900. But after what you said, I'm guessing it's not possible since, if I understand this correctly, an xrl connection is needed for something like that.
Why would you need XLR for wireless connection?

quick_release_plate_mod_atr88w.jpg
post #192 of 236 Old 05-10-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No. again, the fact that a mic is wireless has nothing to do with what connector it has. Don't assume, just search. for example:

http://store.sony.com/p/ECM-AW3/en/p/ECMAW3

Now that you know what your camera needs you can go to forums or threads about mics for audio. There is nothing special about the Panasonic model in terms of audio.

Ungermann beat me to the punch. But now you have two alternatives (Sony and Audio-Technica). There are Sennheiser models too.
post #193 of 236 Old 05-10-2013, 06:00 PM

Thanks for your help, guys! Much appreciated.
post #194 of 236 Old 05-10-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

I guess you should change your moniker to audiodummy smile.gif

Most people shooting video do not pay attention to audio and it is really important. One reason they don't is that on most cameras there is agc - auto gain control. What it does is to ensure no matter what the sound level actually is it is recorded at one high level. It thus never overloads, but there are no dynamics whatsoever. In a quiet room you hear a lot of noise as the agc pumps up the naturally low sounds to be at that high level for the recording.

OK, so why do we care? Well if you are recording a voice (talking head), the agc may pump up the background noise between sentence pauses - very unnatural. If one is recording classical music, you lose all the dynamics that are part of that genre (you know, pianissimo, crescendo, etc.).

Now if you are recording an amplified rock band, all their music is already gain controlled to be always loud. For that agc is fine as it will prevent overload (unless the mic is overloaded). There are no dynamics. it is just loud. (There may be a gain switch on the mic, check that out).

So, first you have to decide whether you want to continue with agc. If not, then using an internal or external mic, you turn off the agc (the camera audio controls affect both the internal mic or the mic that is plugged in). You then have to choose the audio level manually. And what that setting is depends on, guess what? - what you are recording and how far you are from the source. The camera has meters to guide you - you want the loudest sound to reach -6db and never go in the red. If it does, you get some ugly, nasty noise. If you record too low, the signal-noise ratio will be poor. It is hard to do audio recording.

Which is why most people don't bother to turn off agc.

And, btw, recording anything with the mic on the camera is a really bad idea - you want the mic near the source not the camera. But that is hard to do.

Well written!
post #195 of 236 Old 05-12-2013, 05:27 AM

Hi all,

I love my HCX-900M but I'm a little disappointed in the image stabilization. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the overall stabilization results except for one thing I started noticing: The image will rock slowly up and down (left/right) . You will notice this when not panning the camera. For instance, when recording beach scenes, the horizon will slowly rock up and left/right like a see-saw. Does anyone have any advice on how to prevent this? Should I turn IS off? Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated!

Mike
St. Louis
post #196 of 236 Old 05-12-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlotsp View Post

Hi all,

I love my HCX-900M but I'm a little disappointed in the image stabilization. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the overall stabilization results except for one thing I started noticing: The image will rock slowly up and down (left/right) . You will notice this when not panning the camera. For instance, when recording beach scenes, the horizon will slowly rock up and left/right like a see-saw. Does anyone have any advice on how to prevent this? Should I turn IS off? Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated!

Mike
St. Louis

What you describe is the one flaw that Panasonic has had with their cam's image stabilization for a few years now. It shows up in quite a bit of my TM900 footage unless I use a tripod. It does not bother me too much. The new x920 model has 5 axis stabilization and most likely eliminates this issue.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #197 of 236 Old 05-12-2013, 02:58 PM

Thank you for the information. The rocking motion didn't bother me much until I noticed it for the first time. The HC-X900M does have the 5 axis stabilization, but I believe the 920 has some enhancements to the IS. I appreciate your time and help. I suppose I will have to live with rocking motion for now. It truly is a great camera.
post #198 of 236 Old 05-12-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlotsp View Post

It truly is a great camera.

That it is. I did not know that the 900m had the 5 axis is. Enjoy what you have and maybe upgrade to the 920 at some point to see if it performs better in this area. Sony has the best stabilization imo.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #199 of 236 Old 06-04-2013, 05:22 PM

Hi Folks,

So I am in a bit of a pickle. I'm on a bit of an extended absence from home, and I've forgotten my USB cable for my HCX900M. It's unfortunate because I have my laptop and everything here and was hoping to view/transfer video from the camera on the trip. I was wondering if the cable was interchangeable with other cables from general electronics outlets. Could I use something like a regular Mini-usb? I'm just not 100% sure... If not I'll probably bite the bullet and try to get one ordered and shipped as quickly as I can. I suppose another option would be to get an SD card and do all my recording on that, however I don't see the need since I rarely find the 32gb built-in memory insufficient.

Take care all,
Sano
post #200 of 236 Old 06-05-2013, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi Sano - I would go ahead and get a $24 32GB SanDisk SDHC card. You won't risk getting the wrong cable, you'll double your current recording capacity, and you'll have it on hand for those rare occasions when you exceed your camera's internal recording limit.

Good luck!

Bill
Sanosuke1981 likes this.
post #201 of 236 Old 06-26-2013, 03:14 AM

Hi All !

I'm new to this Forum so not sure I'm in the right place...

My question revolves around outputting HD footage captured on X900 which I recently bought - great camera !

I've been capturing and editing and final outputting on MiniDV for years so am pretty confident with that.

HD is a whole new ball game now. I can still edit no probs in my Sony Vegas Platinum 9 - which I will upgrade to 12 now.

But I am lost to what and how to output my finished edited movie - it was so easy putting it all back onto tape for showing...!

Any guidance or suggestions would be really appreciated !

Thanks
post #202 of 236 Old 06-26-2013, 03:14 AM

Hi All !

I'm new to this Forum so not sure I'm in the right place...

My question revolves around outputting HD footage captured on X900 which I recently bought - great camera !

I've been capturing and editing and final outputting on MiniDV for years so am pretty confident with that.

HD is a whole new ball game now. I can still edit no probs in my Sony Vegas Platinum 9 - which I will upgrade to 12 now.

But I am lost to what and how to output my finished edited movie - it was so easy putting it all back onto tape for showing...!

Any guidance or suggestions would be really appreciated !

Thanks
post #203 of 236 Old 06-26-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 93
You may not see the problems in Vegas 9, but when it was current, AVCHD 2.0 did not yet exist. I suspect you are having problems you don't see, especially if you are using the higher quality formats your camera can produce.

"I am lost to what and how to output my finished edited movie"

The answer is that it depends on how the output is to be viewed and what your audience has to view it with. In some cases you might make several versions. Your Great Aunt may need a old Standard Definition DVD. Your young cousin may only have an iPhone. You may want to watch on your 60" LED TV.

Current editors like Vegas 12 make it easier because all of the usable output formats are covered.

Bill
post #204 of 236 Old 06-26-2013, 10:55 AM

Bill, thanks alot and understood.

Actually when I said "no probs" editing HD with Sony Vegas 9 - that is, apart from the choppy images which result on the timeline which are irritating.

However, sounds like v12 will solve alot of my issues. Output is mainly onto TV screens for small group presentations and for YouTube...

Many thanks again for your help !
post #205 of 236 Old 06-26-2013, 10:55 AM

Actually when I said "no probs" editing HD with Sony Vegas 9 - that is, apart from the choppy images which result on the timeline which are irritating.

However, sounds like v12 will solve alot of my issues. Output is mainly onto TV screens for small group presentations and for YouTube...

post #206 of 236 Old 07-08-2013, 11:30 AM

I bought mine on Amazon 2 weeks ago and I'm so happy about it!
The "Auto Highlight Function" is pretty cool!
I made a quick video on YouTube, feel free to check it out wink.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq02aB5aJ9U&feature=youtu.be
post #207 of 236 Old 07-08-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by prich View Post

The 9 is faster than the 8, and the 10 is much faster, pretty much realtime on my 4-core 2.2GHz AMD Phenom. I don't know how much faster the 11 and 12 are, but the 12 is the only one you can buy anyway.

I'd say that only starting from version 10 Vegas has become tolerable for native AVCHD editing.
post #208 of 236 Old 07-23-2013, 01:40 AM

Thanks man! I will be getting a card soon, it's definitely the way to go for ease of use.
post #209 of 236 Old 08-12-2013, 11:36 AM

Hi folks,

Did a lot of filming so far this summer with my HCX900M. After using it I've got a few questions for other owners to see what they think.

-The zoom on the HCX900M is 12x. While not bad, its much worse than my previous camera (sony CXR130) which had 32x optical zoom. I definitely found myself missing this feature while shooting this summer.
-the telemacro on the 900M doesn't seem to perform well inside of about 2 feet, which seems a bit strange.
-Encoding the MTS files from the camera to a format which looks good on youtube proves difficult. Exporting using frame blending to a 29.97 frame rate always produces choppy results for me.

I'd love to hear any comments/feedback. Other than the issues I've listed above I have no complaints about the camera. Image quality is great in decent lighting and acceptable in low light, overall a good device.
post #210 of 236 Old 08-12-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanosuke1981 View Post

Hi folks,

Did a lot of filming so far this summer with my HCX900M. After using it I've got a few questions for other owners to see what they think.

-The zoom on the HCX900M is 12x. While not bad, its much worse than my previous camera (sony CXR130) which had 32x optical zoom. I definitely found myself missing this feature while shooting this summer.
-the telemacro on the 900M doesn't seem to perform well inside of about 2 feet, which seems a bit strange.
-Encoding the MTS files from the camera to a format which looks good on youtube proves difficult. Exporting using frame blending to a 29.97 frame rate always produces choppy results for me.

I'd love to hear any comments/feedback. Other than the issues I've listed above I have no complaints about the camera. Image quality is great in decent lighting and acceptable in low light, overall a good device.

I bought my X900M with the realization that the zoom is only 12 optical and 20 intelligent, so I'm not complaining. I do not have any problem with the Macro. Could you be more specific?
I convert my files either using AVS or Handbrake. Never had any problems with choppiness or quality in general.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page