post #211 of 235 Old 08-12-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanosuke1981 View Post

-Encoding the MTS files from the camera to a format which looks good on youtube proves difficult. Exporting using frame blending to a 29.97 frame rate always produces choppy results for me.
Do not use frame blending. Do one of the following:

1) Shoot 1080p60, export 60p and upload to YouTube. Let YouTube adjust frame rate as it sees fit, it will re-encode with variable frame rate (VFR) which may peak at 60 fps, but usually averages at about 30 fps.

2) Shoot 1080p60, export 30p. Ensure no frame blending occurs, instead ensure that your NLE drops every other frame. Yes, the video will be more choppy than 60p, but at least each frame will be reasonably sharp with no ghosting.

3) Shoot interlaced, export 30p by dropping every other field. Do not blend fields. In Vegas this means "deinterlacing: interpolate".

To minimize strobing and stuttering move the camera slowly, reduce shutter speed (normal shutter speed for 60p and 30i/60i is 1/60 s^-1), reduce DOF by opening the iris, use ND filter when appropriate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 235 Old 08-28-2013, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, nice to have found you fellow HC-X900M owners.

I'm a newbie to video shooting, so please pardon my ignorance.

Can anyone recommend a value to mid-range external microphone for this camera? I'm just an amateur, but I appreciate good sound. Probably the sound I'm recording will be less interviews & more soundscapes.

Also, shooting in low light, or at night: how low of a light level can I shoot in? If using a tripod & full moon equivalent of light, what are my best settings - the nighttime scenery (Moon & mountain)?

Thanks!
post #213 of 235 Old 08-28-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

All I can say that cheap (~$50-70) AudioTechnica mics are too sensitive to touch even when used with rubber-banded mic holder.
post #214 of 235 Old 08-29-2013, 10:20 AM

Good Tip, thanks.

Next question:

In anyone's opinion, how good is the built in mic on the X900M?

I'm considering the Sennheiser MKE 400 as a starter mic - a modest budget, multi-purpose mic that will provide improved quality over the built in mic. Does anybody have an option of whether this mic would actually provide better sound than the built in mic?

As for low light shooting, I just learned there is a "slow shutter" mode. I'll have to play around with that.
Any other tips form anyone would be welcome.

I have an old Sony DSC-VI point and shoot with a "Nightshot infrared feature" *(for both stills and video) which was great for lowlight / night shots - in a situation where light was too low for proper exposure, this gave an option to still catch the action. I wonder if this will ever be added as common feature. I found it very handy.
post #215 of 235 Old 08-29-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPGreen View Post

Good Tip, thanks.

Next question:

In anyone's opinion, how good is the built in mic on the X900M?

I'm considering the Sennheiser MKE 400 as a starter mic - a modest budget, multi-purpose mic that will provide improved quality over the built in mic. Does anybody have an option of whether this mic would actually provide better sound than the built in mic?

As for low light shooting, I just learned there is a "slow shutter" mode. I'll have to play around with that.
Any other tips form anyone would be welcome.

I have an old Sony DSC-VI point and shoot with a "Nightshot infrared feature" *(for both stills and video) which was great for lowlight / night shots - in a situation where light was too low for proper exposure, this gave an option to still catch the action. I wonder if this will ever be added as common feature. I found it very handy.

The top of the line Sony camcorder (PJ790V) I believe still has infrared nightshot mode. I think the pro Canon camcorder has this also. Both are over $1500.
post #216 of 235 Old 08-31-2013, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the info Markr041

I'd still like to hear people's opinion on the X900M's built in microphone, and what they are using in addition or instead of it.

Cheers!
post #217 of 235 Old 08-31-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPGreen View Post

Thanks for the info Markr041

I'd still like to hear people's opinion on the X900M's built in microphone, and what they are using in addition or instead of it.

Cheers!
It's a decent mic for everyday use, not for any pro applications. The wind noise cancelling feature is so-so.
post #218 of 235 Old 09-22-2013, 08:43 PM

Thank you! I have been having trouble recording piano students for competitions and college applications in my studio using hcx900M & internal 5.1 mic. The sound is very clear and great quality, but the Steinway Grand sound gets compressed by the gain control, and we loose nearly all the dynamics - which is the most important aspect of piano performance. We turned the AGC off and lowered the mic level to -12. The dynamics were better, but the overall sound was duller. In playback there was some static noise - is that a normal side effect of lowering the mic level? Any tips to further improve the sound? What affordable external mic would you recommend for my purpose. Shotgun or other?
post #219 of 235 Old 09-22-2013, 10:13 PM

Recording live music with the internal mic isn't going to give you good quality no matter what settings you use. You can't go wrong with RODE mics.
post #220 of 235 Old 09-23-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor88 View Post

Thank you! I have been having trouble recording piano students for competitions and college applications in my studio using hcx900M & internal 5.1 mic. The sound is very clear and great quality, but the Steinway Grand sound gets compressed by the gain control, and we loose nearly all the dynamics - which is the most important aspect of piano performance. We turned the AGC off and lowered the mic level to -12. The dynamics were better, but the overall sound was duller. In playback there was some static noise - is that a normal side effect of lowering the mic level? Any tips to further improve the sound? What affordable external mic would you recommend for my purpose. Shotgun or other?

If you are going to record audio with high dynamic range and want to keep the dynamics, you need to set the levels manually so that the loudest sounds reach about -2db. You cannot just set the mic level to some arbitrary amount. The camera has sound meters - make sure the loud sounds do not go "over." Any "static" you hear may have been digital hash from exceeding 0 decibel in the loudest parts.

Try getting the audio levels right and setting the mics to stereo (not surround) before thinking about an external mic. Setting the levels incorrectly will make any mic sound bad.

Try this and come back with what you found, and then we can make more recommendations.
post #221 of 235 Old 09-24-2013, 02:53 PM

Hi! Having the same issue here. Calling Panasonic then sending off for repair from Square trade (3-year warranty) if panasonic will not fix this problem...

I'll post back if I get an answer!

post #222 of 235 Old 09-24-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have been having trouble recording piano students for competitions and college applications in my studio using hcx900M & internal 5.1 mic. The sound is very clear and great quality, but the Steinway Grand sound gets compressed by the gain control, and we loose nearly all the dynamics - which is the most important aspect of piano performance. We turned the AGC off and lowered the mic level to -12. The dynamics were better, but the overall sound was duller.
All of which is normal.
Quote:

In playback there was some static noise - is that a normal side effect of lowering the mic level? Any tips to further improve the sound? What affordable external mic would you recommend for my purpose. Shotgun or other?
If you want wide dynamic range then you want very clean pickup on low volume, which the internal mic may not provide. Shotguns are not recommended in closed quarters as they record reflected sound from another side. Get a good dynamic mic and place it as close as you can without causing overload. BTW, consumer-grade unbalanced mic connector will introduce noise, you need XLR for cleaner sound.
post #223 of 235 Old 09-24-2013, 04:18 PM

This is what it was looking like... Now it's back to normal!!

Well, now I know how my students feel... :eek:

As I was on the phone with Panasonic Support, he asked me to do an "Initial Set". This was the 4th time of performing this task. Viola! Manual White Balance is working again. This seems buggy and intermittent, which worries me as we have 4 of these camcorders cycling through 12 students per week! 

post #224 of 235 Old 11-08-2013, 08:22 PM

I'm bummed that this camera can't shoot 1920 x 1080 at 30p. I mean 60p is great for slow motion but I'm a wedding videographer and I shoot everything in 30p with my higher-end Panasonic cameras and I'm not sure how to combine the footage from this camera with my 30p footage. I work in Premiere Pro and tried the "Modify>Interpret as Progressive" command but that actually makes the video look worse with lots of horizontal lines and artifacts.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to use the x900m in conjunction with 30p footage shot on other cameras?

Thanks
Mark
post #225 of 235 Old 11-08-2013, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
That feature is for people who want to properly convert 60i to 30p. You are doing it with 60p which is wrong. Make a 1080 29.97p timeline and just dump the 1080 60p footage in without doing anything. I found out that with Premier CS5 and older it might not be dealing with 30p files properly because the 30p mode from some camcorders are within a 60i stream. That's when you use the Interpret feature. CS5.5 should fix it automatically that I've read in the past. As for slow motion, I'd make sure your doing that properly as well.
post #226 of 235 Old 01-16-2014, 02:29 PM

Hi there, I can't seem to get the right key words to get a decent Google result, so I hope one of you can answer these questions please. "Auto Slow Shutter" - on or off? Is there a time to have it on and a time to have it off?
post #227 of 235 Old 02-10-2014, 09:26 PM

correct me if I'm mistaken, however I was under the impression that the HA1920 mode was pretty much 1920x1080p on this camera.
post #228 of 235 Old 02-12-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanosuke1981 View Post

correct me if I'm mistaken, however I was under the impression that the HA1920 mode was pretty much 1920x1080p on this camera.
Refer to the instructions: pretty much not. If I recall, without looking it up, HA is interlaced. If you want progressive, I think you have a dedicated button on this model.
post #229 of 235 Old 03-22-2014, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi ,
today I encounter a strange behavior on my new X900M.
When the screen is angled down a bit, touch screen is "dead" and inactive, I can't use any of the options.
When it faces up a bit, everything is back to normal and it's 100% O.K. .

Will you check your camera and report?

This is very strange engineering, it mean you can't use the touch screen while shooting with your hand up.

Or my camera has a bug....

Thank you.
post #230 of 235 Old 03-22-2014, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Probably some of the electronic connections in the articulated screen are not working properly. It should work no matter what angle the screen or camera is at. If it is still under warranty, get it serviced.
post #231 of 235 Old 03-22-2014, 10:35 PM

Tnx,
Do you actually have the X900m and yours works OK on all screens angles ?
post #232 of 235 Old 07-10-2014, 05:28 AM

Do you have X900M ? than take a look at my post here Panasonic "hidden" service menu
post #233 of 235 Old 07-21-2014, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adido View Post
Hi ,
today I encounter a strange behavior on my new X900M.
When the screen is angled down a bit, touch screen is "dead" and inactive, I can't use any of the options.
When it faces up a bit, everything is back to normal and it's 100% O.K. .

Will you check your camera and report?

This is very strange engineering, it mean you can't use the touch screen while shooting with your hand up.

Or my camera has a bug....

Thank you.
If the screen isn't facing the default position, you don't have access to the options, such as if you turned it 180 degrees and wanted to mess with settings.
post #234 of 235 Old 07-21-2014, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by adido View Post
Do you have X900M ? than take a look at my post here Panasonic "hidden" service menu
I have discovered a route into the service menu for the HC-V750. It came up with a list of options labelled 1-17 but with no information as to the action of each option. Anybody know where a list of actions for the 750 could be found?
post #235 of 235 Old 07-21-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terfyn View Post
I have discovered a route into the service menu for the HC-V750. It came up with a list of options labelled 1-17 but with no information as to the action of each option. Anybody know where a list of actions for the 750 could be found?
This model is too recent for such info to surface but on many past years models "4" will show history. Why not share your find in the other thread?
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page