continue to record the same file. Is it possible? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 03-16-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This question was probably asked many times, but I could not find an answer.
Are there any camcorders that would allow to continue record on just one file even if you stop recording and start again? I do not want to have hundreds files and instead I just want to have one file - as it is easier to make a DVD if I do not want edit anything.
I know you can watch all your recording as it is one file, but is there a way to actually record as one file?
And if there are such camcorders, what would be the best compact HD camcorder that good for low light environment - with such ability?

Many Thanks!

D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-16-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
There may be Samsung camcorders that have that feature, but I wouldn't get a camcorder based on that since you could easuily do this with any editing software. (Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, PowerDirector, etc.)

Just record while start/stopping then later when you import the files place them next to each other or, if the editor has the function, burn them directly to DVD from the time line. You then render one file to any format of your choosing.

But if doing this, (or even if you can find a camcorder that can start/stop but make one file), your video will have one scene, then suddenly jump to the next - but maybe you want that(?) With an editor, you could also space out the files and include breif pauses or add transitions.

If you are using an AVCHD camcorder; with one continuous record (for example one hour without hitting stop), due to the file system limit it makes many files that you later have to join with software into one file. This software is typically included with the camcorder. It will fix the slight skips at the point of the new files.

I suppose you could use that software to join files from the record start/stops, even if not to fix the skips.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-16-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka448 View Post

I just want to have one file - as it is easier to make a DVD if I do not want edit anything. ... if there are such camcorders, what would be the best compact HD camcorder...

You cannot play HD on a DVD player anyway. And no, what you want is not possible with file-based camcorders (you can join files later). Get an HDV camcorder instead and capture a whole tape without scene breaks.
post #4 of 16 Old 03-16-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 100
One of the underlying principles of "digital" video is collecting clips to be later joined.

Sony camcorders come with software called "Picture Motion Browser" or "PMB" and Panasonic camcorders come with software called "HD Writer". I don't know what Canons or Samsungs deliver with.

Both PMB and HD Writer will quickly put your clips into a single file. They will also reproduce that file in all the popular forms such as DVD, Blu-Ray, YouTube, iPod, iPad, etc.

Your low light question is tricky because there are so many definitions of that condition. To shoot in near darkness, many swear by the Canon VIXIA HF G10 and spend upwards of $1,000 to get it. To shoot in rooms lit by light bulbs, you can get by with almost any current camcorder and get usable picture quality. One of my favorites is the under $350 Sony HX9V and it doesn't even look like a camcorder! As an example I shot this with it: https://vimeo.com/35265158. I used the same camera with a small flashlight for this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEVLuX-6Bt0.

Good luck finding what you want!

Bill
post #5 of 16 Old 03-16-2012, 10:19 AM

D,

This feature is very nice for a novice who doesn't really care about editing or even authoring menus and chapter points. But I'd have to 2nd xfws's suggestion that you don't want to choose a camcorder based on this function alone. People like me get annoyed by the video "jerkiness" between scenes.

Also, you do not want to purchase an HD camcorder and later lower the quality to DVD 480 resolution. The whole point of an HD cam is to have 1080 res. You can burn a small clip of HD res to a DVD, but you'd still need a bluray player to decode that.

Edit: Ungerman and Bill beat me to the comments
post #6 of 16 Old 03-16-2012, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your answers! Now I understand the whole subject better. The reason for my inquiry was that my father, who I would not call an advance computer user, finally wants to make a jump from his miniDV camcorder that he uses very often to digital camcorder. One of the challenges - after he tried my Sony CX160 - he needed help to get videos into DVD. Before, it was relatively easy - connect his miniDV camcorder to computer and use software I think it called DAZZLE to create a DVD. Now he has to create the entire movie from 100 or so files before he can make a DVD. That was difficult and frustrating for him. And that why the reason for my questions - that seems to be very logical from the person who only used tape camcorders..
My second question in regards to low light shooting is based on the fact that most of his videos are made during some kind of family events in challenging lighting environment. For example, I see significant reduction in video quality using my Sony CX 160 while shooting indoors.
And he probably would not want to spend a lot... I guess anything below $1000 he would consider.

Thank you all again for your help!

D
post #7 of 16 Old 03-16-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

wants to make a jump from his miniDV camcorder that he uses very often to digital camcorder

DV is digital.
Quote:

he needed help to get videos into DVD

Files are files, DVD is just a recoding medium.
Quote:

Before, it was relatively easy - connect his miniDV camcorder to computer and use software I think it called DAZZLE to create a DVD.

I assume that by creating a DVD you mean authoring a DVD-Video disc.
Quote:

Now he has to create the entire movie from 100 or so files before he can make a DVD. That was difficult and frustrating for him. And that why the reason for my questions - that seems to be very logical from the person who only used tape camcorders.

Not necessarily. You can capture DV, HDV and other digital tape-based formats scene by scene into separate files.

Anyway, separate clips are easier to manage, crop or discard altogether. Embrace this approach instead of dumping a whole tape onto a DVD. No one besides very close family members will watch such a video anyway. Unless, of course, your father is very good with in-camera editing.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-16-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not arguing with you - if its digital so be it. I'm saying that his camcorder records file to the tape and one long movie and it is difficult for him to do any kind of editing before record the movie to the disk.
I really doubt that his is the only one like that...
post #9 of 16 Old 03-16-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm saying that his camcorder records file to the tape and one long movie

You can treat content of a tape as one long video, but in reality there are clearly defined start and stop points that can be used by capturing software to capture each segment into a separate file.

As I said, forget about dumping the whole tape onto one DVD, the result most likely will not look good. You need to edit your videos before showing them to others, and editing small clips is easier than scrubbing back and forth one big lump of video.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-16-2012, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

as I said that I do not want to argue on this. I see the advantage of having multiple files.
But it is for my dad who does not do any editing at all and it is difficult for him to master editing software.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-16-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

as I said that I do not want to argue on this. I see the advantage of having multiple files. But it is for my dad who does not do any editing at all and it is difficult for him to master editing software.

Ok then, just use a file joiner to combine all the clips into one. tsMuxer works, but it may accumulate audio drift. You can even use "copy /b" command to join the files, this does not seem to work with all flavors of TS files, but works with some. TS files have no header, so joining them is easy.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-16-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:

as I said that I do not want to argue on this. I see the advantage of having multiple files.
But it is for my dad who does not do any editing at all and it is difficult for him to master editing software.

He needs to stick with SD quality. It's a waste of time and money to purchase an HD cam and then lower the HD quality to SD quality so that you can burn it onto a DVD.

If he wants to make it even easier, he should purchase a DVD camcorder like one of these to skip the miniDV to DVD transfer:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

Or wait and see if any manufacturer will be making a mini-disk bluray camcorder.
post #13 of 16 Old 03-16-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post

Or wait and see if any manufacturer will be making a mini-disk bluray camcorder.

Yeah, he can go back into 2008 and wait for a BD camcorder.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-16-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Getting an HD camcorder has the benefit of going SD or HD. There's really nothing for OP's father to fear. The newer AVCHD format is just one harmless mts file that can be joined or rendered together with other mts files, edited, separated or whatever.

I mean, he wasn't scared to try VHS, when he could go back to a safer Super 8 format, right? It's a simple matter of clicking a mouse, nothing else.

All the info is available on the internet or you can ask here, or any video forum, for step-by-step instructions.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-17-2012, 06:40 PM

D,
So did he end up keeping the Sony CX160?

An alternative option is that he can purchase a portable USB hard drive, then cut and paste the raw m2ts videos. You'd need to purchase a BD player (or other compatible player) with a USB slot that will play the m2ts files.
post #16 of 16 Old 03-29-2012, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

well,it was for my dad and he still haven't decided yet. I'm very happy with my Sony .
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page