Doing Simple Camcorder Repair - Bad Idea? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-22-2012, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 3 year old Sony camcorder that works great. A cosmetic piece of the outside casing snapped off and I found the part. It doesn't look like I need to do anything but unscrew a few screws and replace the part. Question is: is there caulk or something inside that seals the "pieces" together to prevent dirt and moisture from penetrating the camera? Although this is a non-moving part (just a plastic casing), is it a bad idea for me to unscrew a few screws and replace it myself?

Any advice out there would be great It looks simple, but I have no idea if there's something inside that I'll be messing up. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-22-2012, 05:23 PM

I was able to dismantle my camcorder to remove a broken automatic lens cover that was stuck half open. I found a service manual on the net that had the instructions and diagrams to dismantle. If you can find a service manual for your camera it would be helpful. It will tell you if there are any precautions to take or if there is any caulking used to seal out the dust. I haven't seen any sealant used in my cameras though. Just be carefull of those flat ribbon cables as they break easy.

Jimbo
post #3 of 5 Old 03-23-2012, 01:50 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harden View Post

I have a 3 year old Sony camcorder that works great.

3 years? Been there, done that.

IMHO, without question, you should apply the common sense that God gave you - and try to fix it.

But first do as you have apparently done - check on the Internet.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-27-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If you can find the schematic or service manual that would help, but I say go for it too especially if you feel you already have the knack for doing it anyway.

Now that's how you supposed to drive!

Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X

post #5 of 5 Old 03-28-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harden View Post

I have a 3 year old Sony camcorder that works great. A cosmetic piece of the outside casing snapped off and I found the part. It doesn't look like I need to do anything but unscrew a few screws and replace the part. Question is: is there caulk or something inside that seals the "pieces" together to prevent dirt and moisture from penetrating the camera? Although this is a non-moving part (just a plastic casing), is it a bad idea for me to unscrew a few screws and replace it myself?

Any advice out there would be great It looks simple, but I have no idea if there's something inside that I'll be messing up. Thanks.

Cameras do have dust barriers to keep dust out, but that doesn't mean you can't take them apart.

The thing with working on these cameras is to have LOTS of patience and never to rush what you are doing.

Take your time. Take notes, make drawings on how things go together and you should be okay!

David
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page