MiniDV vs other media question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-23-2012, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess I am one of those old school guys. I had an old camcorder that used 8mm tapes but it recently died on me. I went out and bought a kodak playsport camera to use to tape my kids and take in the pool for some fun underwater stuff, but hated the fact that every time I pushed the start and stop button, it was like starting and stopping a brand new video clip.

I want to get a new camcorder but the biggest thing for me is to be able to fade in and out when recording and have the entire video string along on one continuous stream instead of fading out and having the clip stop then starting a new clip when I fade in. Hope that makes sense, I am very new to the camcorder scene. I tried to do some research on line but can't find out if there is any other media storage device that will allow me to fade in and out while recording and different times and still stay as one continuous video instead of breaking up into several different clips. I don't like having to go to the computer to have to edit any videos either, I just like to have the tape as a hard copy.

Is there any other media storage out there that can do this, or does it depend on the camera? As far as I can tell, the only media that can do this is the MiniDV stuff but I want to be sure before starting to price out camcorders. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-23-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Multiple clips is a benefit, not a drawback. But you can stitch them together easily if you want. If you can use a computer to write messages on an internet forum, you should be capable to stitch clips together with a simple tool, there are many tools that can do that.

It is almost impossible to do anything with digital video without a computer unless you have a proper editing studio with couple of tape decks, controller board, monitors, etc. Just one professional deck costs more than a whole computer, which allows you doing the same and more.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-23-2012, 12:57 PM

I see the benefit of having multiple clips, but I also see a drawback. New camcorders should give you the option to record an event with multiple pause/record presses and save as one file or as multiple files. Most camcorders don't do this.

Someone posted last week about the same issue and xfws suggested that some Samsung camcorders do have this feature. A quick net search yield this camcorder:

http://www.samsung.com/us/photograph...N/XAA-features

The "Record Pause Function" section mention that it can keep all clips as one file.

Good luck.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-23-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouragement. I guess I am just one of those people that don't like "change". When I find something that works, I tend to stick with it. When I think about placing my storage device into my computer and editing my videos, i tend to think of like a 32gig SD card or something like that and it has several hours worth of video on it and then I have a feeling I'm going to be in front of my computer for hours and hours editing.

In you opinion, if i was to have something like 3 to 4 hours worth of stuff that I video taped on a SD card type of device and that 4 hours of video had 50 different video clips on it where I stopped and started........... how long of a time would you estimate that it would take me to just take the clips and put them all in one continuous string of video with just a quick like fade in or fade out in between clips???
post #5 of 8 Old 03-23-2012, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post

I see the benefit of having multiple clips, but I also see a drawback. New camcorders should give you the option to record an event with multiple pause/record presses and save as one file or as multiple files. Most camcorders don't do this.

Someone posted last week about the same issue and xfws suggested that some Samsung camcorders do have this feature. A quick net search yield this camcorder:

http://www.samsung.com/us/photograph...N/XAA-features

The "Record Pause Function" section mention that it can keep all clips as one file.

Good luck.

cool, thanks for the reply darkside, I'll look into that. Can you or ungermann answer my question in the 2nd half of my post above?
post #6 of 8 Old 03-23-2012, 01:19 PM

Most newer camcorders use hard drive and/or SD card as storage.

I guess you can use the SD cards the same way as miniDV tapes, but SD cards are expensive.

To archive your events the less expensive way, I'd suggest you purchase a portable USB hard drive and save all your clips there using your computer by cut and paste. That way you can reuse your SD card for new events.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-23-2012, 01:24 PM

Be aware that the link to the Samsung camcorder is an SD camcorder, not HD. I'm not sure whether their newer HD cams can record multiple clips as one file.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-24-2012, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

cool. thanks for all your help. I think I'm going to do quite a bit more research before finally making my decision but all this info helps.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page