The Official Sony cx760 / cx730 / cx740 Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 183 Old 08-14-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Can't find the user mnual for the NX30 but, based on the Sony site specs, it looks like the internal mic will record only stereo and not the 5.1 like the cx-760V. If that's true, major bummer. Camera will be shipped tomorrow.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 183 Old 08-15-2012, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Can't find the user mnual for the NX30 but, based on the Sony site specs, it looks like the internal mic will record only stereo and not the 5.1 like the cx-760V. If that's true, major bummer. Camera will be shipped tomorrow.

i read from the spec. sony nx30 support pcm. and read from other forum pcm is superior than dolby

http://broadbandforum.in/tata-sky-dth/66312-pcm-vs-dolby-digital/
post #93 of 183 Old 08-15-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker1212 View Post

i read from the spec. sony nx30 support pcm. and read from other forum pcm is superior than dolby
http://broadbandforum.in/tata-sky-dth/66312-pcm-vs-dolby-digital/

Yes, PCM is nice but I would like to have the 5.1 instead of the 2 ch stereo with the built in mic. I understand the external mic is only stereo or mono but if the internal mic is the same as the cx-760, why only 2 ch instead of 5.1 ? The NX30 spec say PCM (ext mic) or Dolby Digital 2 ch .

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #94 of 183 Old 08-15-2012, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Yes, PCM is nice but I would like to have the 5.1 instead of the 2 ch stereo with the built in mic. I understand the external mic is only stereo or mono but if the internal mic is the same as the cx-760, why only 2 ch instead of 5.1 ? The NX30 spec say PCM (ext mic) or Dolby Digital 2 ch .

panasonic announced professional camcorder today. only 2 channel dolby

Panasonic Introduces AG-AC90 AVCAM HD Handheld Camcorder With 3MOS Sensor, HD and SD Image Capture, and Manual Controls

At $2250, a Full-Featured Model Redefines Professional Entry-Level Acquisition

Secaucus, New Jersey--August 14, 2012 Panasonic has announced a new professional AVCCAM® HD handheld camcorder, the AG-AC90, equipped with high-sensitivity 1/4.7", full-HD 2.19 megapixel 3-MOS imagers to capture native 1920 x 1080 resolution images. Targeted at the wedding and event, sports and corporate AV markets, the AC90 records in 1080/60p, 60i, 30p and 24p, as well as in standard definition (480/60i) in 60Hz.

Its 12X zoom lens with three independent adjustable rings for zoom, focus and iris offers a wide 29.8mm to 357.6 mm (35mm equivalent) viewing angle, and Panasonic's exclusive Nano Surface Lens Coating reduces ghosting and flares.Key AC90 features include two SD Memory Card slots for simultaneous recording; a five-axis image stabilizer that dramatically improves stabilization for hand-held shooting; 4X pixel shifting technology for a sharper image; and an intelligent Auto (iA) Zoom 25X super-resolution function for automatic adjustments of edge, gradation and detail.

The AC90 debuts a premium professional AVCCAM HD recording mode, the PS mode (28 Mbps, 60p only), and also records video in the PH mode (average 21 Mbps/Max 24Mbps), the HA mode (approx.17 Mbps), and the extended recording HE mode (approx. 6 Mbps).

The AC90 is compatible with Panasonic's ultra high-speed UHS-1 Memory Card series (in addition to providing SDXC and SDHC card support), with transfer rates of 90MBs, four-and-a-half times as fast as the previous generation of SDHC media. The two slots can also be utilized for simultaneous back-up recording.

The AC90 includes such desirable professional features as time code/UB recording; time/date stamp, and two wired remote control terminals (for zoom, focus, iris, REC start/stop controls). Standard professional interfaces include an HDMI output, USB 2.0 (mini B-type), Multi-AV output, and a built-in stereo microphone. The camcorder features two locking XLR inputs with switches for mic/line, two RCA audio outputs, and records two channels of Dolby Digital.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/15/panasonic-ag-ac90-professional-camcorder/
post #95 of 183 Old 08-17-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm a big Panasonic fan, but I don't see how they expect to get $2200 for it when the NX30 lists for $1999 and the XA10 lists for about the same and the street price is even less.

I don't see Panasonic selling a lot of these at this price.

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #96 of 183 Old 08-17-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I would expect the Panasonic will have better color (3 chips) and better sharpness than the two other alternatives. More importantly, compared to the Sony offering there is: 1. Full manual gain, shutter, iris independently (the Sony does not do this). 2. A real around-the lens focus ring plus the other two rings. Makes useability much better. The little dial on the Sony is a joke and only has one function at a time. And the street price will be similar probably.

This model appears to be the same as the Z10000 without 3D.
post #97 of 183 Old 08-17-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunerww View Post

I'm a big Panasonic fan, but I don't see how they expect to get $2200 for it when the NX30 lists for $1999 and the XA10 lists for about the same and the street price is even less.
I don't see Panasonic selling a lot of these at this price.
Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
i don't know what your day job is, but the press release didn't have you in it! Unless of course your day job has you doing "wedding, event, sports or corporate" video. Maybe the government buys them too.

As a newbie, I have trouble figuring out the picture quality advantage of any SD card based 1080p60 camera upwards of $800. Except for audio, the picture quality does not seem to get that much better.

This thread is about the Sony cx760 / cx730 / cx740 series and my bet is they provide picture quality equal to the $2200 Panasonic.

Bill
post #98 of 183 Old 08-17-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I bought the NX30 because I need a small camera, wide angle lens, external mic and manual control. The Sony has the widest lens, it's small, comes with a ext mic (not very good, I understand) and some manual control (not the best). The icing on the cake for me is the OIS, supposed to be the best so far.

I will use the camera to do interviews on the street for my wife's blog/webpage. I could use the GW77 if external mics were possible. We tried to do the job with my Panasonic SD600 but the audio was terrible and I can't use the wireless mic I already have.

This new Panasonic looks pretty good but will be available in December and I can't wait.

post #99 of 183 Old 08-17-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe I should have waited for this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/sony/announcements/new-sony-nex-ea50uh-camcorder

post #100 of 183 Old 08-17-2012, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I bought the NX30 because I need a small camera, wide angle lens, external mic and manual control. The Sony has the widest lens, it's small, comes with a ext mic (not very good, I understand) and some manual control (not the best). The icing on the cake for me is the OIS, supposed to be the best so far.
I will use the camera to do interviews on the street for my wife's blog/webpage. I could use the GW77 if external mics were possible. We tried to do the job with my Panasonic SD600 but the audio was terrible and I can't use the wireless mic I already have.
This new Panasonic looks pretty good but will be available in December and I can't wait.
Having used the PJ760v, I can assure you the new 'balanced' OIS is absolutely amazing. IMO, Sony already had the best stabilization before the new OIS was implemented into their higher end consumer cams, so to make it even better was quite an achievement. Uncompressed PCM audio with XLR inputs is also a very nice option and something its competitor (XA10-AC3 audio) doesn't have. The NEX-EA50UH seems like it will be quite a nice cam, especially with its servo zoom lens, but can be slight overkill for very quick run-n-gun when compared to the NX30's compactness. However, the AG-AC90 seems like it might be a real winner for those of us who aren't primarily concerned about chip size and dof. I think low light performance will be the determining factor for those of us looking for that type of camcorder.
post #101 of 183 Old 08-17-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Can anybody here confirm if this remote commander works with the cx-760/NX30 ? I wanna use it with my tripod.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-RM-AV2-Commander-VCT-50AV-Tripods/dp/B0012GBBQS/

Many thanks.

UPDATE: Never mind, it does.

post #102 of 183 Old 08-20-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Got the NX30 2 hours ago. First impressions:

-The XLR adapter makes the camera look "professional". That's the major difference from the consumer model.
-Audio is PCM or stereo. No 5.1
-Menu is very easy and clear. User manual came printed and on a DVD disk.
--Software is the "Content Management Utility", didn't like it but I don't think is necessary.. Tried to change the folder to import pictures but I couldn't, although there is a radio buttom called "change" next to the folder address. Very Sony stuff.
-Camera is a bit heavy but well balanced. XLR adapter will make me buy another bag if I wanna keep it assembled.
-Time Stamp is nice , specially if we use more than 1 camera.
Battery is beefed up, 70 instead of 50.
-Not sure if I can use a filter with the hood. Does anybody know ?
-Made in Japan , yes!!!

I will post more details after my first test movies.

post #103 of 183 Old 08-20-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

"Made in Japan , yes!!!"

It is interesting that in the Sony camcorder brochures distributed in Hong Kong, "Made in Japan" is highlighted (the GW77 is made in Japan too).
post #104 of 183 Old 08-20-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

OK. Just few minutes playing with the camera, everything looks great.
I will shoot something tomorrow, wanna see how good the audio can be or if I need to spend money on a better mic.
One small problem, that seems to be reported by other owners of Sony cameras capable to record PCM:

-Neither WMP 12 or VLC can playback the PCM audio recorded by the camera. Sony Vegas or the program that came with the camera playback everything just fine. My Oppo BD player also plays the files without a glitch. Why isn't WMP or VLC recognizing the audio track? If I select Dolby Digital, WMP and VLC can play the audio but not if I select PCM. It looks like Sony is doing something different than the standard (surprise!). The same problem has been reported by owners of other pro models at DVINFO. This only happens if I set 1080/60P, with any other resolution , like 1080/60i, PCM plays fine with VLC.

post #105 of 183 Old 08-21-2012, 10:25 AM

Liked: 10
I just bought a CX760 last week. I'll be using it primarily for recording high school football games. I've been using a CX550 the last couple of years for the same purpose. So far the CX760 looks like it will do a very nice job. Games start this weekend so I'll find out then. The CX550 did a pretty good job with the different lighting I encounter on different fields, I'm thinking the CX760 should be better. Anyway to the point of this post, I do have an issue with the LANC functionality. I have a Varizoom Stealth that I've been using with the CX550 flawlessly. I really like the Varizoom and expected to use it on the CX760. My problem is it doesn't work on the CX760. I also have a Sony tripod with the LANC control built into the handle and it works on the CX760 so I know LANC is in the camera. Was wondering if anyone with a CX760 has noticed issues with the LANC functionality? I've already started a dialog with Varizoom via email and my next step is to talk to a tech on the phone today or tomorrow.
post #106 of 183 Old 08-21-2012, 11:13 AM

fbangie, if you get a chance, I'd be interested in hearing how the CX760V's Balanced Optical Steady Shot compares to the active image stabilization of the CX550V in situations where you are trying to hold the camcorder as still as possible (no intentional movement such as panning or zooming while shooting) and framing to the same view. I have seem some comparisons of the 760 to the XR500 but they were at different fields of view because the XR500 can zoom in further since it starts at about 41mm at full wide. The XR500video was shakier, but it was also zoomed in more in these comparisons so it was difficult to draw any conclusions. Thanks.
post #107 of 183 Old 08-22-2012, 10:25 AM

Be glad to do try some comparisons between the CX760 and the CX550. It'll probably take me a week or so. I don't have the 550 in my possession right now. From what I can tell from the little time I've had the 760, the 760 is much better as far as image stabilization. The 550 was pretty good to begin with.
After saying that, image stabilization isn't a big factor for me because I use a tripod 99% of the time (on a few rare occasions a mono-pod).
post #108 of 183 Old 08-22-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbangie View Post

Be glad to do try some comparisons between the CX760 and the CX550. It'll probably take me a week or so. I don't have the 550 in my possession right now. From what I can tell from the little time I've had the 760, the 760 is much better as far as image stabilization. The 550 was pretty good to begin with.
After saying that, image stabilization isn't a big factor for me because I use a tripod 99% of the time (on a few rare occasions a mono-pod).

Thanks, I appreciate it. I almost always shoot hand-held. I have a Sony XR500 that I am satisfied with for the video quality. But I have less-than-steady hands, so I'm considering the 760 because of Sony's claim of stabilization improvement. None of the models with the BOSS system are available locally so I would have to order one without trying it first. So I will rely on opinions of owners, plus youtube/vimeo videos. But those videos generally don't do a good job of comparing the new models to the older models: panning and zooming while shooting and different FOV because of the different focal lengths of the lens.
post #109 of 183 Old 08-30-2012, 11:06 AM

Hey guys, I'm living in Japan and eyeing up the PJ760 (96GB flash memory) for ¥94,800 / £761 / $1207 (plus a 10% refund I can use on accessories).

The non-projector version here, the CX720 is cheaper, but only has 64GB flash memory ¥73,649 / £591 / $938 (plus a 10% refund I can use on accessories).

Three questions:

1. Should I go for the cheaper version - are the projector and extra 32GB worth the extra $250-odd?

2. These are the Japanese models. There are no English menus. My katakana is alright, but I'm hopeless with kanji - is the menu layout easy enough to operate visually from icons / from memory?

3. Should I expect any other differences in the formats I can record on the Japanese model? It'll be NTSC, just the same as the US, right? Does it even matter these days? Or should I be aware of something else?

The international models with English menus are almost double the price here, so they're out. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers all!
post #110 of 183 Old 08-30-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

caffeinedreamer:

I wouldn't pay 250 bucks for the projector and the extra 32GB. Using the internal memory actually can be a pain because you need to connect the camera to the computer. SD cards are very cheap here and I assume also in Japan. The projector is more a toy than anything else, you need a dark place to use it and the quality is so-so.
You can download the English manual to make the menu navigation a little easier.
No format difference between the Japanese and US models.

post #111 of 183 Old 08-30-2012, 06:48 PM

Liked: 11
I have a PJ760v and the projector is a fun toy, but not needed for sure!

I have used mine for about 2 months (lots of shooting)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGT6ui92GXY&feature=plcp&noredirect=1

but yesterday I took it out of the bag and turned it on and the BOSS is acting up. I am getting an error code and the lens assembly is moving to the extremes of the travel rather than actually balancing....

No physical damage was done on the camera. It is fairly new so I will be filling out an RMA with sony this weekend.

Needless to say I am disappointed, but perhaps it was just a lemon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #112 of 183 Old 09-06-2012, 12:18 PM

aerials with CX760

We've been flying the CX760 around and the stabilization is impressive. The gimbal does most of the work keeping the camera level but the BOSS system is perfect at eliminating small servo anomalies. Would love for Sony to release something with a higher bit rate and full manual control.

nick
post #113 of 183 Old 09-06-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle helo View Post

aerials with CX760
We've been flying the CX760 around and the stabilization is impressive. The gimbal does most of the work keeping the camera level but the BOSS system is perfect at eliminating small servo anomalies. Would love for Sony to release something with a higher bit rate and full manual control.
nick

Amazing shots , professional quality.

post #114 of 183 Old 09-12-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemccl View Post

fbangie, if you get a chance, I'd be interested in hearing how the CX760V's Balanced Optical Steady Shot compares to the active image stabilization of the CX550V in situations where you are trying to hold the camcorder as still as possible (no intentional movement such as panning or zooming while shooting) and framing to the same view. I have seem some comparisons of the 760 to the XR500 but they were at different fields of view because the XR500 can zoom in further since it starts at about 41mm at full wide. The XR500video was shakier, but it was also zoomed in more in these comparisons so it was difficult to draw any conclusions. Thanks.

I haven't had a chance to get video up anywhere yet. Busy time of year for me. So far I'm love'n my CX760. There is a step up in overall image quality from the CX550. The only thing bothering me is my Varizoom Stealth LANC zoom controller does not work with the camera. I have 2 other LANC controllers that work fine, one from Sony and one from another 3rd party company I don't remember the name of. I've contacted Varizoom and they are looking into the issue. They say it should work no problem. I'll give them a month or so and get back with them. Anyone looking at a LANC controller be advised it may or may not work. I would guess any Sony controller would work. I love the Varizoom so I hope they can get a fix soon.
post #115 of 183 Old 09-19-2012, 04:51 AM

Liked: 12
I, for one, am waiting for the price to drop a bit before ordering one. I also have a worry about the duribility of the moving lens housing. Have not heard any negatives about that, but perhaps it is too early to tell.

Also thinking of the GW77. It is less money by a long shot and I could spend the extra on batteries, etc and still spend less. But, would I miss the vew finder plus other stuff that the GW does not have. Only so much money to spend.
post #116 of 183 Old 09-30-2012, 10:09 AM

I see that the price has dropped $200 bucks on one site already. Will wait a bit more and see what happens.
post #117 of 183 Old 09-30-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railfan View Post

I see that the price has dropped $200 bucks on one site already. Will wait a bit more and see what happens.

Some of the sites that currently show the $1298 price list it as $1,498 minus a $200 instant rebate, with no mention of an end date for this rebate. B&H's website has the $1,298 price after an instant rebate of $200 that it says ends Oct. 6, implying the price may go back to $1498 on Oct. 7. Some other sites just have the $1298 price and do not mention an instant rebate (Amazon for example). There's a possibility that the price will go back to full retail on Oct. 7, but there's no way to know for sure. That happened when the camcorder was first available. There was a $200 instant rebate that ended (in June I think), then it went back to full price until just a few days ago. I decided to buy it at $1298 earlier this week, just in case in goes back up soon. Of course, the price could drop even lower, especially as it gets closer to the time they introduce next year's models.
post #118 of 183 Old 09-30-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemccl View Post

Some of the sites that currently show the $1298 price list it as $1,498 minus a $200 instant rebate, with no mention of an end date for this rebate. B&H's website has the $1,298 price after an instant rebate of $200 that it says ends Oct. 6, implying the price may go back to $1498 on Oct. 7. Some other sites just have the $1298 price and do not mention an instant rebate (Amazon for example). There's a possibility that the price will go back to full retail on Oct. 7, but there's no way to know for sure. That happened when the camcorder was first available. There was a $200 instant rebate that ended (in June I think), then it went back to full price until just a few days ago. I decided to buy it at $1298 earlier this week, just in case in goes back up soon. Of course, the price could drop even lower, especially as it gets closer to the time they introduce next year's models.

I forgot to mention when I posted this, that I was referring to the CX760V price.
post #119 of 183 Old 10-01-2012, 07:08 AM

Well, the price needs to drop some more before I purchase one. Hopefully, when the new model comes out, it will cause a drop in price for the current one. Of course, if the new one greatly overshadows the current one, then I will be in a pickle won't I.
post #120 of 183 Old 10-01-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railfan View Post

I, for one, am waiting for the price to drop a bit before ordering one. I also have a worry about the duribility of the moving lens housing. Have not heard any negatives about that, but perhaps it is too early to tell.
Also thinking of the GW77. It is less money by a long shot and I could spend the extra on batteries, etc and still spend less. But, would I miss the vew finder plus other stuff that the GW does not have. Only so much money to spend.

Ok. Time to think out of the box: get a camcorder just as good if not better than the CX760 with viewfinder, for $700:

http://www.jr.com/panasonic/pe/PAN_HCX900K/

Higher rated than the 760 and smaller; everything you need but waterproofing.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page