Canon HF-M50 vs Panasonic HC-V700 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 03-29-2012, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I know these are both new for '12 and recently released in the past month or so but I was still a bit surprised not to have seen an owner's thread for either. I'm in the market a new camcorder with a budget of about $400-$500, so I just wanted to see if anyone's actually had experience with both and could comment on some of the main differences.

I've been reading up on the '11 models (M40 and TM90) both here and at camcorderinfo but haven't had much luck finding either of those in stock at a decent price. Being that the '12 models can be had for about the same price, I was thinking of picking up one of those but in-depth performance details or reviews on them have been hard to come by. Any feedback is appreciated.

EDIT:
Now that these have been out for a little while, some user have began postings reviews. I've compiled a list of them for each model to help those who are trying to make the same decision.

*Panasonic V700/V700M*

Camcorderinfo review: V700M
Amazon reviews: V700 , V700M
B&H Photo reviews: V700 , V700M
AVS Owner's thread: V700/V700M

*Canon M500/M50/M52*
Camcorderinfo review: M52
Amazon reviews: M500 , M50 , M52
B&H Photo reviews: M500 , M50 , M52
AVS Owner's thread: M500/M50/M52

*Note, that the model variations listed are essentially the same except for internal memory or other minor feature differences (WiFi, etc)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-29-2012, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can't help you with the Panasonic but i just bought the Canon HF M50 and i have no regrets at all ! First i bought the HF R300 but the low light sensitivity was not good enough so took it back and got the SONY HDR-XR260V . Now big improvement on light sensitivity but had horrible Chromatic Aberration but it had a great 5.1 sound system with no wind noise except when pointed straight up . But being new some of the software was not availble for the camera online yet . Anyway took it back and got the Canon HF M50 and got to say i wish i had done that in the first place ! NO C.A. that i could detect in any movies i took and once i even pointed toward the sun that had thin clouds in front of it and NO C.A. was evident i could see ! The 10x zoom doesn't seem much but a teleconverter can be added to this camera for a price but for me the 10x was plenty all i needed right now ! Also does MP4 format for uploading to the web . I took about an hours worth of video today and all shows were great and the MP4s' were very impressive ! Also to the R300 had a battery life of max 35-mins . where as the M50 has about an hour and half time on it . Big improvement . The R300 really is a nice corder for the price but it doesn't have lens auto door closer but the M50 does and it's very convienant ! Overall the M50 really has a great price for the mid range camcorders without getting into the Pro camcorders that cost $$$$ !! Also the last thing i might add is the SONY took 8.9MP images and was very good but the Canon M50 takes 2.07MP (1920x1080) but they were better than the SONY images and NO C.A. ! Hope this helps some .
post #3 of 19 Old 05-04-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Ron,

Thanks for responding with your experience on the M50. Glad to hear that it's meeting your needs. I'm still on the fence since i started the topic and have recently also began considering a decent still camera that takes good video like the FZ150 from panasonic to further complicate my decision.

Looks like camcorderinfo finally got around to reviewing the M52 which is essentially the same performance-wise as the M50, which i've pasted a link to below:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...erformance.htm

The strong points of the M52 seem to be excellent low-light performance, good battery life, and good color accuracy. I'm curious to see how the V700 stacks up in comparison. Based on what I've read so far, i expect the image to be a bit sharper than the Canon, have better stablization, but suffer in low-light performance and poor battery life.

The main concerns holding me back on the FZ150 are things like stabilazation, low light perfomance, CA, moire and usability. Being able to shoot good stills is a huge plus, but i'm not sure if the upgrade in the stills category outweighs the downgrades in the video category.
post #4 of 19 Old 05-06-2012, 08:56 PM

I'm also looking at these two camcorders. The low light performance of the M52 is a really big plus for me. However, I do not like what Camcorderinfo.com had to say about its OIS. I would also prefer a wider angle lens (M52=43mm vs. V700=28mm) along with 60fps. Also, despite having a larger sensor, I'm interested to see how the V700 performs in low light with its 15.3Mp's - still images have little interest to me in a camcorder. I did find this review on the V700, http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cam...articleContent, but don't expect anything like Camcorderinfo's depth and consistent methodologies for testing.

Hopefully someone will chime in with their experiences with the V700. Maybe 2012 isn't my year for a camcorder upgrade.
post #5 of 19 Old 05-07-2012, 12:12 PM

Hear is a short low-light test i did in my house . One light on in the kitchen and one in the living room .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqv8nP06uSw
post #6 of 19 Old 05-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Find this youtube video about HC-V700 Night performance. Pretty good in my opinion.http://youtu.be/uvz1MITGW1g?hd=1
post #7 of 19 Old 05-08-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSo View Post

Find this youtube video about HC-V700 Night performance. Pretty good in my opinion.http://youtu.be/uvz1MITGW1g?hd=1

I really like that moon video except for the CA around the moon edges as it passed upwards . Was the settings in manual or auto mode ? One of the reasons i took the Sony HDR-XR260V back cause the CA was terrible especially in the daytime . So far on my HF M50 i cannot detect any CA in any images including the one when i shot the moon . Only thing tho is the Canon doesn't zoom as close as the Sony did at 51x zoom . , But quality is so much better !
post #8 of 19 Old 05-08-2012, 11:50 AM

Wow, tough decision!

I'm feeling a little better about the V700's low light capabilities but will likely have to buy another battery. Not sure why it uses so much more power, more then twice that of the M52. I suppose the 60p would account for some of that.

As for the M52, still bothered by its 43mm view vs. 28mm on the V700 and the lack of 60p. Also, OIS capabilities were tough to determine from the videos above.
post #9 of 19 Old 05-09-2012, 06:10 AM

Daveon, check out the Wasabi batteries & charger for the Panasonic V700. They have a kit with 2 high capacity (3800ma) batteries and charger for less than the cost of the high capacity Panasonic battery. It must be 'chipped' because mine give me the 'fuel guage' and time remaining.

I bought the Panasonic because it had the features I was looking for and the price was less than the Canon. Canon's look really good on paper & would love to play with one someday. Maybe get the wife one? ;-)
post #10 of 19 Old 05-09-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveon View Post

Wow, tough decision!

I'm feeling a little better about the V700's low light capabilities but will likely have to buy another battery. Not sure why it uses so much more power, more then twice that of the M52. I suppose the 60p would account for some of that.

As for the M52, still bothered by its 43mm view vs. 28mm on the V700 and the lack of 60p. Also, OIS capabilities were tough to determine from the videos above.

You know even tho the M52 has good low light ability in Manual mode you can adjust the exposure even brighter in a dark room or area . I didn't take any video last night but i was running through the settings to see what all you can do and in Manual mode i really like the controls , one of them being WB which is really good .
post #11 of 19 Old 05-11-2012, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

I edited the original post to add links for customer reviews and the camcorderinfo review of the M52. Hopefully they can get around to doing a review of the v700 so that we can finally get a good detailed comparison between the two.
post #12 of 19 Old 05-18-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Found a shot-by-shot comparison of the V700 and M52 on this site:

http://www.digitalversus.com/camcorder/face-off

Their reviews seem detailed but not as thorough as camcorderinfo. In any case, they haven't reviewed either yet, but just have some sample shot for a side by side comparison. I'm starting to lean towards the Canon as being the better overall camcorder, but the difference in cost is what's holding me back.
post #13 of 19 Old 05-29-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

I was too anxious to wait for the camcorderinfo review and the price drop on amazon today was enough to push me over the edge and into ordering the v700. Logic tells me that i should've waited a couple more months to get a better idea of the differences between them but my impatience got the best of me. It'll arrive in 2 days so i'll be able to finally find out if low light performance and battery life are as poor as i fear.
post #14 of 19 Old 05-30-2012, 06:49 AM

Godfather927- It's really a win-win situation no matter which camcorder you buy. I went thru the same dilemma you did. What mattered most to me was a threaded lens so I could protect it with a UV filter, external mic input, and image stabilization. Also, as mentioned earlier the Panny will go 1080p 60fps. On the flip side the Canon probably does beat the Panny in low light & overall picture quality. My pocket is only so deep therefore the Panny won.

If you want more battery life get the Wasabi battery kit with 2 high capacity batteries & a charger. Mine has worked flawless.
post #15 of 19 Old 05-30-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitdaddy View Post

Godfather927- It's really a win-win situation no matter which camcorder you buy. I went thru the same dilemma you did. What mattered most to me was a threaded lens so I could protect it with a UV filter, external mic input, and image stabilization. Also, as mentioned earlier the Panny will go 1080p 60fps. On the flip side the Canon probably does beat the Panny in low light & overall picture quality. My pocket is only so deep therefore the Panny won.

If you want more battery life get the Wasabi battery kit with 2 high capacity batteries & a charger. Mine has worked flawless.

Pitdaddy, thanks for the reassurances. At the very end, my decision actually ended up being between the FZ150 and V700 since the cost of the Canon M500 at the time of ordering was about $90 more than the V700, and I would've been able to get the FZ150 for about $70 cheaper than the V700. As you mentioned, all 3 options are great values and from what I've gathered, the Canon truly does provide the best color accuracy, low light performance, and overall better picture quality but the IS, 60fps, and wide angle lens were also important to me and hopefully enough to justify me saving the extra money to put towards better accessories (ie external Mic, filters, monopod, etc.)
post #16 of 19 Old 05-30-2012, 12:11 PM

And that is exactly what I did- extra batteries, UV & Polarization filter, sdhc cards, aluminum card holder, & case to put all those in. I knew I'd spend another $150 in accessories.
post #17 of 19 Old 07-29-2012, 03:00 AM

I use Canons M506 (M52,M56) and Panasonic HC-V700 at this point and it's a hard to choose which one is better. Both have excellent image quality in bright light but in low light Canon is much better. If you film most of the time outdoors than V700 is fine but if you're filming a lot indoors than choose Canons M56 or m506. Most of the time I film my kids and when it's a rainy day, Canon is the best choice.

Advantages of V700
- wide angle
- good image stabilization
- 46x zoom
- better screen visibility in sunlight than M506
- 1080 60p or 50p (altough I can't see much difference only when panning fast)
- I like the build and design of Panasonic

Cons:
- low light not so good as M506
- auto focus not as good as M506, especially telemacro

Canon advantages
- good low light performance
- good autofocus at telemacro
- better battery life
- Colors are warmer which I like more.

Cons:
- no wide angle, which really annoys me
- white balance sometimes slow but accurate.

Canon has 40x digital zoom which pretty good.

Update:

Did some more low light testing and found that when moving camera, image looks like a smudge of floating pixels. I also noticed something that looks like ghosting.
post #18 of 19 Old 08-27-2012, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

edited the original post to add the recently released Camcorderinfo review of the V700M
post #19 of 19 Old 11-23-2012, 06:57 PM

What camcorder would be the best of both worlds? I'm looking for something with great low light performance, wide angle, and good image stabilization. I found that most these camcorders perform well in bright light situations. Good battery life is also important, but I could always get extra batteries.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page