Sony FS700 4K Super 35mm Camcorder Expected To Be Announced Next Month! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-29-2012, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This camera sounds like a BEAST! Canon may have to drop the price of their C300 cinema camera.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/7710/th...s700-4k-for-8k

Article:

"At NAB 2012 next month, Sony will shake the digital cinema market to its core. Sony's answer to the C300 is a 4K Super 35mm update to the FS100. It will be available in June for a provisional $8000.

My source (based in Taiwan) says that the FS700 does 4K via 3G HD-SDI to an external recorder. The FS700 is said to include 3 internal ND filters yet retains the NEX E-mount. Looks like they found some space for those missing FS100 NDs after all!

The slow mo function of the FS100 has been ramped up to a massive 960fps. This is at a reduced resolution. Other slow motion options includes 120, 240 and 480. It isn't clear whether the camera records internally to 1080p or the full 4K. It is possible internal 4K will come with a paid firmware update. Another question mark is over who will provide the external 4K recording box. As far as I know, one doesn't even yet exist.

The Canon C300 in comparison to this seems inferior on paper and is more expensive. I wonder how Canon will react with the EOS 4K DSLR also due at NAB. This is one almighty battle. The mooted price of the FS700 is between the Canon 1D X and Canon C300, which is where the 4K EOS DSLR is also expected to fall.

The Canon C300 is a superbly cinema designed camera. But in my opinion it is let down by a price which is too high and specs which aren't aggressive enough. It is a very expensive way to acquire 8bit 1080p! Sony is pushing hard into the cinema market, indeed the imaging market all-round. Sony recently took a 3 pronged approach to their overall global business, making the imaging division one of these.

I can't help feeling that the FS700 will be a massive success and a real motivation for Canon to become more gutsy. Sony are the ones showing the spirit of a samurai at the moment. I like risk takers. It pays off.

Summary

Model: NEX FS700E
List price: $9000 (provisional)
Release date: June 2012
Specs: 4K, 3G HD SDI, Super35mm Exmor HD CMOS"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-29-2012, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sounds amazing!

Hopefully it will output 4K as well and not the 1080P output of the C300...we'll see.

Now that's how you supposed to drive!

Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X

post #3 of 8 Old 03-30-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Can't record the 4K internally? It seems like there is always something holding back the latest and greatest thing, it's always 95% there.... Oh well, I can't afford it anyway.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-30-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevypower View Post

Can't record the 4K internally? It seems like there is always something holding back the latest and greatest thing, it's always 95% there.... Oh well, I can't afford it anyway.

It's unclear so far, but someone on DVXUser made this claim: "FS700 is a 4K camera and a crop-factor 1.5 like FS100 ! I knew it 15 days ago. I'm gonna have it on April 15 in Las Vegas."

Also, a couple of users under Non Disclosure Agreements with Sony were biting their tongue with excitement wanting to say something, but refrained from doing so.

Hopefully it does record 4K internally as well. We'll have to wait and see. I'm excited though, because this camera should be a HUGE game changer if it offers all it's saying. To undercut the Canon C300 by so much with a 4K camera with awesome frame rates and clean HDMI out at 4:2:2 10-Bit would be extraordinary.

I just hope the Sony doesn't take a low light hit because of the higher resolutions/smaller pixels. Hopefully it's a new sensor or something that can make up for it, because the Sony FS100U is AMAZING in low light.

Another interesting camera coming out is the Digital Bolex 16MM RAW cinema camera for either $2,500 or $3,500. Unsure.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-08-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Just a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpU8TThNLuI

Never-mind competing with the Panasonic AF100 or Canon C300, this thing will for sure compete with Sony's own F3.

Now to see if Panasonic is willing to release a competitor.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-08-2012, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Panasonic needs to release the AF100 with AVC Long-G firmware update pronto. OTOH, the AF100 is still twice cheaper.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-08-2012, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

Never-mind competing with the Panasonic AF100 or Canon C300, this thing will for sure compete with Sony's own F3.

They never do once you get them. Sure you can shoot beutiful footage with it, but if you shoot them side to side the cheaper never holds up compared to the more expensive one.

I want my grain region free.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-09-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
It'll for sure be a competitor to the F3 especially when you include the 4K recorder and the ultra high quality slow motion modes is a bonus. They both have their pluses and minuses.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page