Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 747 Old 08-25-2012, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

"I am curious what "nothing special" computer you would propose to play native 28 Mbps clips full screen, full resolution in order to view what you have before you do even simple editing..."
Absolutely any Intel i3 computer with a second or third generation chip will play them fine, and also current $199 *netbook* computers with the second-generation Atom chip, Celeron current generation computers. It is simply no problem at all on any of today's Windows computer with Intel chips.
I personally tested a Gateway and Asus netbook computer at BestBuy by inserting a memory stick with unedited 108060p, 28Mbps videos and both played them perfectly. I used the built-in Windows Media Player - no special software. I also played the clips on desktop computers with 1080p monitors; beautiful, smooth playing.
I advise you to do the same thing - just try them on any computer at BestBuy. They may not play well on non-intel ("Vision") chips.
If you do not have a 108060, 28Mbps file, you can download any of the ones I have posted in this forum and uploaded to Vimeo and try them.

"108060p AVCHD video clips are difficult to play and hellish to edit. Video forums are filled with complaints about the sample sizes and the problems they create." (markr041)

Mark, can you help me understand this comment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 747 Old 08-25-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt hammer View Post

I never meant to imply the video was making any claim. I should have been a little more specific in my question. I was asking weather or not the camera really had that incredible zoom, image quality and rock solid steady shot even when zoomed out that far. Bill answered with a yes so I am hoping it really is that great. I am close to making my mind up about buying one. My new concerns are my Mac computer. I had a Sony HDR-SR1 and it took almost as long to down load the videos I recorded as it did to record them. It was not even true 1920x 1080 HD either. I hear Macs are not friendly to camcorders.
I don't own a Mac, but the HCV700 does give the option of iFrame (also 28Bps; at 30 fps, I think) instead of AVCHD.

But yes; that's actual hand held video of the elk, zoomed, with the anti-shake on.
post #273 of 747 Old 08-25-2012, 10:21 PM

well it is awesome then considering it is being hand held with shake on. I am bidding on a new HC-V700M right now. I hope to get it. I will need to learn about AVCHD VRS 28bps; at 30 fps. I don't know what that means. When I say I am a rookie and technologically challenged I mean it. I know you can record in modes that are not 1920x1080 because my other cam had that option. However the 28Bps at 30fps thing is like saying blah, blah blah to me because I don't know what it means. LOL. I thank you and will now need to learn the technical parts of this camera I guess. I know there are programs out there for editing but when it comes to my Mac I may have issues. I tried imovie with the older Sony HDR-SR1and had no luck. Like I said previously it was quite slow moving the video to my Mac and the video was then very choppy and grainy. Hopefully this wont happen with the new camera when I finally get one. Does anyone else know what the best program is to use with a Mac comp that will give the best results and not take all day? Also does any one have any practical hands on experience with iframe?
post #274 of 747 Old 08-26-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 115
""108060p AVCHD video clips are difficult to play and hellish to edit. Video forums are filled with complaints about the sample sizes and the problems they create." (markr041)

Mark, can you help me understand this comment?"

As you saw in this very thread, there was exactly a way too broad claim made that 108060p videos are difficult to play. People with old computers or using the wrong software (VLC) or using a Mac have had problems. If you use a modern Windows computer and play the videos with the free Windows Media Player you will have no problems playing the videos. All the Windows editors that I know of work with 108060p files natively. The AVCHD files are heavily compressed, so in editing it is sometimes hard to see effects in real time as you edit. That is why many pros *used* to convert the AVCHD files to less heavily compressed (and thus very large) files to work with.

Tests show that the AVCHD files - those 108060p files from the camera - produce video as good as the best alternatives at bit rates 5 times the size (and thus files 5X the size).
post #275 of 747 Old 08-26-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthompson View Post

Thanks for this. I looked for their review before I bought, and this review had not yet been posted.
But it's pretty positive:"If you can find the V700M for less than $500 bucks it’s a bargain. Anything lower is an absolute steal."
Aside from mediocre performance in very low light, I didn't see much in the way of serious flaws mentioned in their review. Like most of us, they couldn't really figure out why Panasonic couldn't wring even more out of such a large and high-pixel sensor, but my assumption is that Panasonic engineers must know something we don't, and in any case ordinary video is really really good.
TheV700M is $423 right now (cheaper than the plain 700), Amazon Prime. I paid $398 for the M on Amazon.
By comparison, the Panasonic TM90 is $600 and the Canon M52 is $715 on Amazon today. Those are the two camorderinfo used as comparison cameras.
For a cheapskate like me it's a no-brainer, although I'd like to see a comparison with the Sony CX260 just for grins (it's priced about the same as the 700).

The problem is even though they put in a bigger sensor it has more pixels that they never use so they are still using the same amount of pixels that they used on the TM90. It has the same lens as the TM90 and same zoom range. The new sensor offers lower noise color performance. That's really all it adds over the TM90. Brighter mid level lighting performance too. If I were going new I would go for the 700 but still happy with my TM90 enough that I wouldn't upgrade for the 700.
post #276 of 747 Old 08-26-2012, 09:22 AM

You stated theTM90 had the same zoom as the HC-V700M. Are you sure about that. Does the TM90 have 21xx zoom and also does the tm90 have exactly the same anti shake as the v700m?
post #277 of 747 Old 08-26-2012, 09:37 AM

Sorry but I will answer my own question. The TM90 has a 40X max zoom where the v700m has a 46X zoom. As for the power O.I.S system I was unable to find a comparison. The one question about the power O.I.S is that I thought Panasonic upgraded it to a 5 way anti shake system for 2012 compared to the 3 way anti shake on previous models.
post #278 of 747 Old 08-26-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry but I will answer my own question. The TM90 has a 40X max zoom where the v700m has a 46X zoom. As for the power O.I.S system I was unable to find a comparison. The one question about the power O.I.S is that I thought Panasonic upgraded it to a 5 way anti shake system for 2012 compared to the 3 way anti shake on previous models.

Just going by what the actual test said as far as the lens and zoom range. It is odd that panny says 46 times and in there literature if you compare both models the TM90 will zoom in closer to objects. So it must be at the wide end that the 700 is wider. Thus the math works out to 46 times using the chip to simulate 46 times but according to the review the lens is the same. The new hybrid stabilization adds one more axis. It was 4 times now its 5 times. They added roll which is rotation of the camcorder in your hand. My TM90 is plenty stable with 4 axis even zoomed all the way in. Both cameras are awesome for the price. I paid under $450 last year for my camera.
post #279 of 747 Old 08-26-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

The specs are confusing. It says it has the same lens yet the TM90 says 28mm to 729mm and the 700 says 717mm on the long end.

The 700 does use more pixels...3.55meg and the TM90 uses 2.61meg. I can see why its worse in low light. Pixels are smaller. That would explain the 46 times zoom but I thought I read the numbers were longer on the panny website for the TM90. Maybe a miss print.
post #280 of 747 Old 08-26-2012, 11:56 AM

Wow, you got a good deal. A new TM90 right now is over 450. Yeah it seems every manufacturer does the same thing. I have seen side by side demos of cams with identical zoom and one will zoom just a bit further than the other. I don't know why because I don't understand the nuances of different lenses that one company uses over another. Maybe it is the wide end that makes the difference from one to another. Hey since I am new to this there is a question u may be able to answer. If my bid is accepted I will own a HC-V700M. I know they have 16GB of on board memory. I know you can put a memory card in it to extend your record time. However, I have no idea how large of a card I should purchase. Is there any negative to a larger card or does it not matter? Also is there any particular card one would recommend over another. ?? Last thing I need to know is in the cameras highest recording mode, meaning 1920x1080 how many minuets of record time does each GB give you. Example would be the 16GB on board memory, how many minuets of recording can one get out of that 16GB with the camera set in its highest quality mode before the memory is full??
post #281 of 747 Old 08-26-2012, 12:10 PM

Hey Ron yes you are correct about the 5 way O.I.S this year vrs 4 way last year. I was confused for a minuet. I knew Panasonic had made an upgrade for 2012. I had been looking at both Sony and Panasonic so I mixed them up. It is Sony that has the 3 way super steady shot. They say they have upgraded for 2012 also. I was really sold on Sony and there super steady shot for quite a while. I almost purchased a Sony HDR-CX700V. Then I saw Panasonic's power O.I.S and discovered it blows Sony's steady shot anti shake out of the water. I don't want to endorse one company over another but when it comes to the steady shot I saw both side by side in my hands and Panasonic wins hands down in my opinion.
post #282 of 747 Old 08-26-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

The problem is even though they put in a bigger sensor it has more pixels that they never use so they are still using the same amount of pixels that they used on the TM90. It has the same lens as the TM90 and same zoom range. The new sensor offers lower noise color performance. That's really all it adds over the TM90. Brighter mid level lighting performance too. If I were going new I would go for the 700 but still happy with my TM90 enough that I wouldn't upgrade for the 700.
It doesn't seem like the HCV700 is really much better than the TM90. More or less a draw, even with the newer sensor.
But if I were buying today, it would be the HCV700 easy, because (on Amazon, at least) the HCV700 is much cheaper (400 v 600 dollars the day I bought.)
YMMV, obviously, depending on the cost that day.
I'd tend to buy whichever is cheaper.

I think the higher pixel count also figures into the lossless but non-optical zoom factor between 21 and 46...Panasonic calls it iZoom to avoid getting into technical mis-marketing.
post #283 of 747 Old 08-26-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Ron yes you are correct about the 5 way O.I.S this year vrs 4 way last year. I was confused for a minuet. I knew Panasonic had made an upgrade for 2012. I had been looking at both Sony and Panasonic so I mixed them up. It is Sony that has the 3 way super steady shot. They say they have upgraded for 2012 also. I was really sold on Sony and there super steady shot for quite a while. I almost purchased a Sony HDR-CX700V. Then I saw Panasonic's power O.I.S and discovered it blows Sony's steady shot anti shake out of the water. I don't want to endorse one company over another but when it comes to the steady shot I saw both side by side in my hands and Panasonic wins hands down in my opinion.

This is my first Panasonic video camera. Before this it was Sony HI8mm and then a digital DVCAM simipro camera. My only gripe about the Panny is the auto color balance. Best to use manual of forced sunlight outdoor settings. Maybe the 700 will be better in that regard.
post #284 of 747 Old 08-26-2012, 04:19 PM

To funny I had a Sony HI-8 also. Mine was the handy cam vision. When you say the color balance is off do you mean when it is switching between a light area vrs a darker area?
post #285 of 747 Old 08-26-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To funny I had a Sony HI-8 also. Mine was the handy cam vision. When you say the color balance is off do you mean when it is switching between a light area vrs a darker area?

Dark and light scenes are contrast settings. That works fine in most scenes although I do something different when outside on bright days.

Color changes hue depending on the light in every scene but the Panasonic camcorders change color balance too slowly so you see some scenes that can be a little greenish or bluish depending on the lighting in the scene. Sometimes it can be way off and will shift too much during some scenes as you pan. So to avoid it its best to force color balance using the manual setting or even forcing outside sunlight setting. Cloudy day setting is good for foggy days at the beach.

Ocassionally the IA setting works well though like indoors at home at night with incandescent lighting. I get better results outdoors using spotlight mode and intelligent contrast together. It completely avoids peak white clipping outside in bright sunlight. The sky stays blue.

Don't get me wrong...these cameras take awesome video for the price! You will love the V700! My TM90 blows me away and that's on a 10 foot screen. They do a good job at night in the city with street lighting too! My shots on the piers in CA last year look awesome! Plus the camera is so small I can put it in my pocket if I have to free up a hand.
post #286 of 747 Old 08-26-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow, you got a good deal. A new TM90 right now is over 450. Yeah it seems every manufacturer does the same thing. I have seen side by side demos of cams with identical zoom and one will zoom just a bit further than the other. I don't know why because I don't understand the nuances of different lenses that one company uses over another. Maybe it is the wide end that makes the difference from one to another. Hey since I am new to this there is a question u may be able to answer. If my bid is accepted I will own a HC-V700M. I know they have 16GB of on board memory. I know you can put a memory card in it to extend your record time. However, I have no idea how large of a card I should purchase. Is there any negative to a larger card or does it not matter? Also is there any particular card one would recommend over another. ?? Last thing I need to know is in the cameras highest recording mode, meaning 1920x1080 how many minuets of record time does each GB give you. Example would be the 16GB on board memory, how many minuets of recording can one get out of that 16GB with the camera set in its highest quality mode before the memory is full??

Recording time posted in the manual is pretty accurate although if you stop and start a lot you will fit less on the flash card. 16 GB is 1 hour, 20 min. Less if you take a lot of short scenes which is how I shoot. I have two 32 GB cards because I needed two for a trip to the California coastline last year. I filled both cards completely in the 11 day trip. I had the internal 16GB as a backup and actually used it for some stills although I do have a still camera, sometimes using the camcorder for a still because it is nice to be able to capture something quick. You don't need that internal memory although someone posted that you can't use some of the conversion software without that internal memory. Not sure how true that is.

Just thought more about this and I would say for a lot of quick clips you might get a tad over 1 hour on a 16GB card. That's a guess based on what I have shot so far and that's at 1080p/60.

With a 32GB card you can get 2 plus hours if a lot of short scenes. Seven to 30 second scenes. Some longer ones thrown in here and there. This size is reminiscent of the HI8 tape days where every tape was two hours long. It's a nice size to have.
post #287 of 747 Old 08-26-2012, 08:00 PM

Thanks a lot for that info. That will really help with knowing how long I can record before filling up a card. I will need to buy some cards to I guess. Don't know what sizes they make but having a few 32gb cards like you have would be great. That way you can edit at your own leisure instead of needing to transfer right away out of fear you wont have a free card the next time.

How long do you get out of your battery b4 it goes dead?

The reason I asked about that color issue u have is because I read somewhere that you can use a blank sheet of white paper to set the color shifts or white balance or something like that so it works better when the lighting changes or you pan the cam. It may have been here on this thread. It described the process and stated it helps a lot with the camera adjusting quicker or something to that effect.

As for the still quick pics you take, It was brought to my attention that the HC-V700M takes pretty bad still photos. Wont know until I get one but taking good stills with a camcorder would be awesome. This way there's no need to have a camera. I mean heck if they put great still photo ability in the camcorders they would loose billions on selling still cameras. LOL. Of course couldn't a person just record something and then freeze frame, edit and then print a photo right off a recorded video? Wouldn't doing that give you a higher quality image then a still photo because its in HD.?
post #288 of 747 Old 08-26-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks a lot for that info. That will really help with knowing how long I can record before filling up a card. I will need to buy some cards to I guess. Don't know what sizes they make but having a few 32gb cards like you have would be great. That way you can edit at your own leisure instead of needing to transfer right away out of fear you wont have a free card the next time.
How long do you get out of your battery b4 it goes dead?
The reason I asked about that color issue u have is because I read somewhere that you can use a blank sheet of white paper to set the color shifts or white balance or something like that so it works better when the lighting changes or you pan the cam. It may have been here on this thread. It described the process and stated it helps a lot with the camera adjusting quicker or something to that effect.
As for the still quick pics you take, It was brought to my attention that the HC-V700M takes pretty bad still photos. Wont know until I get one but taking good stills with a camcorder would be awesome. This way there's no need to have a camera. I mean heck if they put great still photo ability in the camcorders they would loose billions on selling still cameras. LOL. Of course couldn't a person just record something and then freeze frame, edit and then print a photo right off a recorded video? Wouldn't doing that give you a higher quality image then a still photo because its in HD.?

I can get a good solid hour out of my standard size battery. I have two batteries and use a Wasabi charger which is nice. You don't have to charge via the camcorder and can use the camcorder while charging another battery in your car. It comes with a car 12 volt power jack. There are bigger aftermarket batteries now but I still like the smaller battery.

The manual white balance is just a button you press on the touch screen. You place a white sheet of paper or even white napkin in front of the camera and let the ambient light shine on it. Press the button and the color temp is set. You could get a calibrated neutral white card to carry with you if you want.

If you use the instant frame capture while in video mode its exactly like what you said. Grab a frame directly from the video. Same thing. If you put the camcorder into still camera mode it is different. I haven't used that very much yet. Although recently I took a few. I need to download and have a look.
post #289 of 747 Old 08-26-2012, 08:29 PM

Yeah the 6 mega pixel thing is misleading. I guess from what I have read it really takes the still pic in something like 2.3 MP or something to that effect. Panasonic's own info sates its not the greatest for stills. The reviews I read confirmed this as well. I may be off on the MP # for one or both but you get the idea. It takes bad pics from what I hear. Who knows, I will find out when I get one. Let me know how your stills look and then we all will know.
post #290 of 747 Old 08-26-2012, 08:40 PM

You know what? I was just thinking about that still photo issue that camcorders have. Why is it they record in HD and have crystal clear images. You can pause the thing when watching it on your plasma and the image on your screen is as nice as any camera could ever snap a still image of. But for some reason the still capture mode on these camcorders is quite low. Why do you think that is. A good lens is a good lens is a good lens right? Even if its looking thru it for a video or a still snap shot. Do you think it is just a marketing thing? Maybe like I said before if they sell camcorders that take for example a true 18 MP still there still camera sales would plummet costing them millions. Or maybe I am an idiot and have no real understand on the differences between still and video . Maybe it is a technological issue that has not been over come yet. Its is weird however why a cheap still photo camera can take a great pic but the camcorder can not. I guess this site is a good place to pose this question and maybe an educated answer will pop up

I got this from the panny web site. It reads as follows: Still Picture Recording at 6.1 Megapixels Still Picture Recording mode lets you shoot with a maximum resolution of 6.1 megapixels.*

* For images recorded with a 3:2 and 4:3 aspect ratio.

I was told there is about a 50% MP drop off down to 2.3 mp or something close to that if you snap shots in any mode other than 3:2 or 4:3 aspect ratio
Is this accurate regarding that drop off and if yes, why?
post #291 of 747 Old 08-27-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:

You know what? I was just thinking about that still photo issue that camcorders have. Why is it they record in HD and have crystal clear images. You can pause the thing when watching it on your plasma and the image on your screen is as nice as any camera could ever snap a still image of. But for some reason the still capture mode on these camcorders is quite low. Why do you think that is. A good lens is a good lens is a good lens right? Even if its looking thru it for a video or a still snap shot. Do you think it is just a marketing thing? Maybe like I said before if they sell camcorders that take for example a true 18 MP still there still camera sales would plummet costing them millions. Or maybe I am an idiot and have no real understand on the differences between still and video . Maybe it is a technological issue that has not been over come yet. Its is weird however why a cheap still photo camera can take a great pic but the camcorder can not. I guess this site is a good place to pose this question and maybe an educated answer will pop up
I got this from the panny web site. It reads as follows: Still Picture Recording at 6.1 Megapixels Still Picture Recording mode lets you shoot with a maximum resolution of 6.1 megapixels.*
* For images recorded with a 3:2 and 4:3 aspect ratio.
I was told there is about a 50% MP drop off down to 2.3 mp or something close to that if you snap shots in any mode other than 3:2 or 4:3 aspect ratio
Is this accurate regarding that drop off and if yes, why?
There isn't a conspiracy to save millions by having deliberately crappy stills on a camcorder.

If you are using your TV monitor to decide how "crystal clear" a picture is, your standard for a still is very low. Specifically, it's no better than 1920x1080, or about 2.1 million pixels. This is not anything close to "as nice as any camera could ever snap a still image of." A still picture recorded while you are videotaping can be either 5.8 M pixels or 2.1 (essentially a single frame of a HD movie) depending on how you set up the camcorder. The maximum picture size for a still is an aspect ratio of 3:2 and concomitant pixel dimensions of 3024x2016, which comes out to 6.1 M pixels. For an aspect ratio of 16:9, the camera will record a still with a maximum size of 3200x1800, or about 5.8 M pixels.

It's my observation that you are getting sucked into technical specifications to decide how good your pictures are when your eye is apparently telling you they are fine for your purposes.
post #292 of 747 Old 08-27-2012, 11:20 AM

I think you misunderstand my meaning here. My point is this, When u watch a video that has been recorded with a camcorder and then pause it on a particular image it is very clear and looks good. Now if you go to your menu and choose to look at the still images you took and view them on the MAC computer monitor or plasma T.V. there is a huge difference in appearance. I am speaking from experience with using a Sony HDR-SR1. I had this issue. Now maybe I had the still setting wrong when snapping the pic. That could be the case because I am not very well versed in technical ability with anything electronic. Any image you choose to print will 1st be looked at on a monitor so if it is a bad pic you can see it right away. I even tried a test once. I took a video of my old fridge out side. Total video about 5 seconds. Then I snapped a few stills of it from the exact location. i wanted there to be no difference in height or distance or movement so it was done using a tripod. When I hooked the camera up to the computer and looked at the video image on freeze frame and compared side by side with the still photo the recorded image looked better. Why would that be?.

To make this easy for me just tell me this. If the HC-V700M is set on 16.9 will it take as good a still picture as a recorded image off of the video mode? Meaning capture a video and then freeze frame it and print it. Will the freeze frame picture be better than the still photo. My experience from my own test with a inferior HD camera says yes but that was a camera that was made in2001. Things may have changed since then

Has anyone ever seen or does anyone own a HC-V700M that has 96 GB of internal memory? I have seen a few listed thru various sites and am wondering if it is even possible that some were made that way. I have researched it and find nothing. However, the listing agents claim they have 96GB of internal memory on the ones they are selling. I am buying a HC-v700m for sure now thanks to everyone's help here on this site but I don't want to buy a knock off or something that claims to be a hc-v700m. I mentioned in a previous thread post that though Panasonic was very quiet regarding any specific details regarding there new upcoming line there agent told me the new models where going to be quite something. He implied without saying it directly that I should wait the 2 weeks until they come out. When I pushed him on the issue he said he can't give further info on a product that is not yet released. Maybe the new v700m will have a larger 96GB internal memory. Has anyone heard of this or seen these HC-V700m models with 96Gb of internal memory?
post #293 of 747 Old 08-27-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:

I think you misunderstand my meaning here. My point is this, When u watch a video that has been recorded with a camcorder and then pause it on a particular image it is very clear and looks good. Now if you go to your menu and choose to look at the still images you took and view them on the MAC computer monitor or plasma T.V. there is a huge difference in appearance. I am speaking from experience with using a Sony HDR-SR1. I had this issue. Now maybe I had the still setting wrong when snapping the pic. That could be the case because I am not very well versed in technical ability with anything electronic. Any image you choose to print will 1st be looked at on a monitor so if it is a bad pic you can see it right away. I even tried a test once. I took a video of my old fridge out side. Total video about 5 seconds. Then I snapped a few stills of it from the exact location. i wanted there to be no difference in height or distance or movement so it was done using a tripod. When I hooked the camera up to the computer and looked at the video image on freeze frame and compared side by side with the still photo the recorded image looked better. Why would that be?.
To make this easy for me just tell me this. If the HC-V700M is set on 16.9 will it take as good a still picture as a recorded image off of the video mode? Meaning capture a video and then freeze frame it and print it. Will the freeze frame picture be better than the still photo. My experience from my own test with a inferior HD camera says yes but that was a camera that was made in2001. Things may have changed since then
Has anyone ever seen or does anyone own a HC-V700M that has 96 GB of internal memory? I have seen a few listed thru various sites and am wondering if it is even possible that some were made that way. I have researched it and find nothing. However, the listing agents claim they have 96GB of internal memory on the ones they are selling. I am buying a HC-v700m for sure now thanks to everyone's help here on this site but I don't want to buy a knock off or something that claims to be a hc-v700m. I mentioned in a previous thread post that though Panasonic was very quiet regarding any specific details regarding there new upcoming line there agent told me the new models where going to be quite something. He implied without saying it directly that I should wait the 2 weeks until they come out. When I pushed him on the issue he said he can't give further info on a product that is not yet released. Maybe the new v700m will have a larger 96GB internal memory. Has anyone heard of this or seen these HC-V700m models with 96Gb of internal memory?
Matt, I posted some examples for you on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/41250184@N03/

You can look at the descriptions, but basically I did three photos of my backyard: A regular still on the Camera setting; a paused video screen capture; and a still taken while videotaping. All are at the highest resolution available for 16:9 aspect ratio. These are all handheld, because I test the way I use the camera; not in a laboratory. I don't care if a tripod still using a delayed shutter timer is better. For my purposes, I want to know how much wiggle the use of the actual buttons causes a loss of quality. Most of the time when I am traveling, I am not using a tripod and delayed timer for landscapes; I'm using the camera handheld. It's surprising how much the ergonomic design of where the buttons are and how they function can make a difference in handheld photos.

To make it easier to see which captures the most detail, and how much difference there is, I magnified part of each photo and put them side by side. I think you'll agree the plain still has the best resolution followed by the still taken during videotaping, and the paused video has the least "clarity."
On an ordinary high def monitor, all would look good.
post #294 of 747 Old 08-27-2012, 02:42 PM

wow, u are 100% correct. The still photo w/o recording is the best. The grass is the real difference in my opinion. it shows it as real looking and not digital looking or fake. Thanks a lot for doing that for me. Now I know what mode to use for still photos.

When I said I did my test with a tripod it was only to see the difference between the two off a tripod. Had I done for an actual real life application or normal circumstance I would have been off hand. By the way you have a very beautiful home

I talked to Panasonic again and have some interesting info. As I stated in a previous thread post I saw the HC-V700M sold with 64 GB of internal memory and was trying to see if anyone had one or heard of it being made that way. I also previously stated that Panasonic claimed they had never made made one with this 64GB of internal memory. Let me start this by saying I don't think Panasonic was being untruthful or hiding anything. With that said again today they 1st claimed they have never made a HC-V700M with 96GB of on board internal memory. I was able to show them the HC-V700M camcorders out there that showed they did make it that way. Finally it came out that the camcorder I am speaking of has been released in Japan. This makes sense they would be released there 1st since there made in that part of the world. I asked if the new American line up would include this one with the 64GB of internal memory and was told begrudgingly that they would assume so. I also asked if the ones I have been seeing are new overseas models then do they have the same recording and play back modes as the Panasonic that are sold here. They compared the 2 and stated they are identical in every way except for internal memory. I was concerned about that because I know European models have different recording modes than state side models do. The Japan released model is the same as the US model in every technical way. The only thing I was cautioned about in regards to buy one from a Japan dealer is to make sure it has a global warranty. I was told this would be the only possible difference between an American sold Panasonic and a overseas sold Panasonic. I believe they originally were not telling me they were selling this model with 96GB of memory so they can have the big reveal when the show there new line. Guess they think I may spoil all there fun. lol

Do you see any disadvantage to having 64GB of on board internal memory? I would think the more the better. This way if you have a 32GB card as well as the 96gb internally you can record a lot of stuff before filling the memory up. What do you think?
post #295 of 747 Old 08-27-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:

Do you see any disadvantage to having 64GB of on board internal memory? I would think the more the better. This way if you have a 32GB card as well as the 96gb internally you can record a lot of stuff before filling the memory up. What do you think?

Hi, I am new here and have a European V700 + 2 x 64 GB SDXC cards (got them off Amazon.de for 36 Euros each), had no other choice as the V700M is not available here, but .....

For what it's worth I much prefer to have the memory separate from the camera, so in case of a problem with the camera I still have ALL my video footage on the card(s).

Also it is very easy and fast to transfer the lot to my laptop using it's internal card reader.
post #296 of 747 Old 08-27-2012, 04:02 PM

The HC-V700M is available here. It just comes with only 16GB of internal memory. I want the Japanese version because it is the same as the American version except it has the 96GB. They all have the memory card slots but if you fill the cards its nice to have all that memory internally. I believe the version you have does not shoot in 60p. I was told by Panasonic that the European version has a different recording/play back mode than the US. Yours wont record in 60p correct? It will only record in 60 I from what I understand. Is that correct?
post #297 of 747 Old 08-27-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:

The HC-V700M is available here. It just comes with only 16GB of internal memory. I want the Japanese version because it is the same as the American version except it has the 96GB. They all have the memory card slots but if you fill the cards its nice to have all that memory internally. I believe the version you have does not shoot in 60p. I was told by Panasonic that the European version has a different recording/play back mode than the US. Yours wont record in 60p correct? It will only record in 60 I from what I understand. Is that correct?
The European version does 50 progressive instead of 60p (PAL v NTSC).
I also much prefer an SD card over internal memory.
Not only is it usually cheaper; there is a large advantage to keeping your photos separate from your camera when traveling.
I prefer a handful of 16 GB cards, and only take one or two with me on any given day.
That way I don't lose everything if I lose the camera.

The internal memory is strictly back up in case I run out of card space; not likely.
post #298 of 747 Old 08-27-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Its good to have a small amount of backup in the camera but best to just buy your own cards. You can stick the cards into your PC or even media player and watch your recordings without turning on the camcorder.
post #299 of 747 Old 08-28-2012, 06:31 AM

Yeah I was just reading that most of the company's are gradually moving away from the internal memory. Is there any advantage to having the on board memory as it relates to the camcorder itself? Why put any internal memory on a camcorder if you can just record everything on card. Other than having it on board what is its advantage?

Does anyone have a recommendation on what the best cards to own are? Is there any difference in quality from one brand to the next?
post #300 of 747 Old 08-28-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

Yeah I was just reading that most of the company's are gradually moving away from the internal memory. Is there any advantage to having the on board memory as it relates to the camcorder itself? Why put any internal memory on a camcorder if you can just record everything on card. Other than having it on board what is its advantage?
Does anyone have a recommendation on what the best cards to own are? Is there any difference in quality from one brand to the next?

I see no advantage to on-board, internal memory. I prefer SD cards. They are more versatile and, if used correctly, more secure. For example, if you are traveling, use a fresh SD card everyday or even half day. If something goes wrong with one of the cards or the camera itself, you minimize the loss.

Regarding brand, there seem to be two groups here. I'm in the group that believes any recognizable brand is good enough. I have SD cards that say Amazon, HP, Transcend and SanDisk on them. I use a free, downloadable program called "H2testw" to test them before use. Others here swear by a certain brand and pay extra to get it.

I think more important than brand, is the Class rating. My cameras specify Class 6 or higher in their instruction books. I buy Class 10 because they seem to be more available and more frequently on sale. Cameras produce data a a certain rate and the Class ratings are about being able to accept data at certain rates. It make little sense to buy cards that can accept data faster than the camera can produce it.

The most important part is to treat the SD card, and even camera memory, as temporary. The data is not safe until it is on a computer and backed up to an independent external HDD.

Bill
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page