The Official Panasonic HC-V700 Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 747 Old 12-19-2012, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I feel your pain, I just picked up a new Dell M6600 ( they are about 50% off at the Dell store ) Basic budget build 4GB memory, the 2.5Ghz i7 Quad Care ATI FirePro 8900. It was spendy butt the screen is out standing and it has the ability to be upgraded ( Ill be adding 32gb of memory and a mSATA SSD ).

My old Toshiba with a 2.0Ghz Core Duo would chug through my Youtube videos ( 720p 4500kbps, 25fps, H.264/AVC Audio 256kbps, 44100 Hz MP3 ) and videos that took 30-45 minuets to render on the Toshiba takes less than 10 on the new laptop.

I will say that there is a difference between different editing software and how hard they are on the computers resources.

AVS Editor which works fine for what I do on YouTube, on the old laptop it would take a while but I could still email and web surf a bit, with PE11 it crushed the laptop, it was not usable while rendering.

I have not installed PE11 on this machine yet so I don't have a direct comparison. I'll reinstall PE11 when I buy a non trial.

Just be honest with what you want from the laptop. If you are shopping I would highly recommend looking at the M6600's So far I am loving mine.

-Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 747 Old 12-19-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAGD View Post

I feel your pain, I just picked up a new Dell M6600 .....So far I am loving mine"
-Robert
I'm having a similar love affair with an ASUS "Republic of Gamers" laptop. (2.3GHz Intel Core i7-3610QM Quad-Core, 16GB of DDR3 RAM, 750GB 7200RPM HDD, 256GB SSD, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M Graphics, 17.3" HD Led-Backlit 1920 x 1080 Display, Blu-ray Burner, Windows 7 (64-bit), 4 USB 3.0 ports, Mouse and Backpack).

I did not buy it to play games! It is big, heavy, has massive cooling and even a sound system with a sub woofer! I added a 22" Samsung combo TV/HD Monitor to preview the output and a couple of external HDDs for backup.

Lightroom 4, Photoshop Elements 11 and Premier Elements 11 run very well on it.

I shopped for months looking for the combination of parts to make a laptop video editor. I found some specialty graphics workstations and the price was high. "Gamer" laptops with good specifications were a lot less. Having the SSD, Blu-Ray Burner, graphics card and lots of memory straight from the factory was nice.

I would like to find a solid excuse to install "pro" software on it, but can't -- yet!

Bill
post #543 of 747 Old 12-20-2012, 02:21 PM

Liked: 10
Hi folks,

I have recently got a HC-V700 and am overall rather impressed with its performance. I have a SANDISK ULTRA 64GB card which seems fine except that when I try and download to my PC, it wants to format the disk. I'm terrified of doing this because I fear it might wipe out all my footage so far. Can anybody offer some advice whether formatting means losing your footage? Or there another way of backing up the data perhaps by connecting the PC to the camcorder?
post #544 of 747 Old 12-20-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camex View Post

Can anybody offer some advice whether formatting means losing your footage?
Yes you will lose everything on the card if you format it. What operating system are you using?
post #545 of 747 Old 12-20-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 124
This question about the SDX card was asked twice. You got an answer where it was posted in a thread - your computer cannot read SDX cards. Don't format, get an SDX card reader. Nothing wrong with the card or your camera. But do not double post.
post #546 of 747 Old 12-21-2012, 03:42 PM

Hello,

I've just had the V700 for a couple weeks and haven't put it to much use other than playing around with it around the house. So far, I'm fairly pleased with it. It looks like you'd need to spend about twice as much to get any better quality video. I haven't decided if I want to get an external mic yet, though...

In any case, it seems that when I clear the SD card of videos and start recording new ones, it starts the filenames at 00001 again, which makes it difficult for me to just dump my videos in one directory. I realize that's not the most organized thing to do, but is there any way to prevent the camera from resetting the count? I see options for this for still pictures, but not for the videos.

Thanks!
post #547 of 747 Old 12-21-2012, 05:36 PM

Liked: 11
There is a setting for resetting it, I dont recall there being a switch for on off off, just do or do not.

Poke around a little in the settings.

-R
post #548 of 747 Old 12-23-2012, 02:15 AM

Hello!

I'm trying to edit my videos with HD Writer which came with the camera and I have been trying to find a video speed increasing function or effect. Does anyone know if it is possible to speed up the clips with HD Writer? And if, how?
post #549 of 747 Old 12-23-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan46 View Post

Hello!
I'm trying to edit my videos with HD Writer which came with the camera and I have been trying to find a video speed increasing function or effect. Does anyone know if it is possible to speed up the clips with HD Writer? And if, how?
HDWriter is very good software for doing a few things. The most important is being able to do "lossless" editing. Very few editors at the consumer level will do that.

HDWriter also has file cataloging and handling systems that take advantage of certain camera capabilities. It takes a full reading of the instruction manual to even discover what those are.

For example, you could shoot a full football game in 1080p put it in HDWriter. Edit out everything but your own kid's spectacular moves and add a title. Save it with perfect lossless 1080p fidelity and send it back to the camera. Knowing Grandpa is getting a brand new 1080p Panasonic TV for Christmas, you take your camcorder. You'll be able to use the camera as a video player, in perfect 1080p on Grandpa's TV with a simple, single HDMI cable. Since Grandpa's TV is a Panasonic, you can probably use the TV remote to control the camera. There are other ways to view 1080p60 in full fidelity, but none cheaper, and none in higher fidelity.

To do anything "creative", such as slow motion, you need a third party NLE (non linear editor). My favorite is Adobe Premier Elements 11, which added some time control options in this version. It handles every file time your camera produces.

Yesterday a Hawk landed in a tree 50 yards from my office window. I grabbed a Sony P&S camera laying on my desk, pushed the zoom way beyond practical and got a shot. At the end of the clip the hawk flies off the branch. I cut that part, pasted it on the end for a repeat and slowed it down. It's fuzzy from the overextended zoom, but you can see what Premier Elements can do with just that one effect. Speeding it up is easy too.

One of the features of PrE11 is that it uploads to Vimeo from withing the software using Vimeo optimized settings.

Without music: https://vimeo.com/56171499

With music and a little contrast adjustment: https://vimeo.com/56173164

To put this on topic for a Panasonic thread, PrE11 is the first version that fully supports the 1080p60 files produced by Panasonic camcorders including HC-V700. It will help you turn your clips into videos that are limited only by your own creativity. You can download a free trial.

Bill
post #550 of 747 Old 12-24-2012, 01:39 PM

I was reading this thread for last 2 days, thinking about getting V700 model. Today I was going through Boxing Day Sales and found model V500 for only Can $214 with free shipping and I order it. Upgrading from few years old PV-GS250 model. Thanks for great posts and Happy Holidays smile.gif
post #551 of 747 Old 12-26-2012, 03:32 AM

Just tested my 700 yesterday. Shot a bit of video indoors on IA and 1080/50p. Came back and plugged it into my panny tv with the supplied component leads and was disappointed with the grainy image. I wouldn't class it as HD either.

Just tried on my laptop by the SD card and directly accessing the file and my Dell XPXM1710 T7600/2Gb/Win8 stutters so much there is sound but video is static.

Just tested on my partners i3-2310 and the video plays but still same image we had on the TV. Thinking my laptop is going to struggle with editing.

Am I doing something wrong?
post #552 of 747 Old 12-26-2012, 06:15 AM

Component is analog SD, if you want real HD you must get a suitable hdmi cable and plug your camcorder direct in a hdmi input of your TV.
Very nice with my V700
post #553 of 747 Old 12-26-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuarta View Post

Just tested my 700 yesterday. Shot a bit of video indoors on IA and 1080/50p. Came back and plugged it into my panny tv with the supplied component leads and was disappointed with the grainy image. I wouldn't class it as HD either.
Just tried on my laptop by the SD card and directly accessing the file and my Dell XPXM1710 T7600/2Gb/Win8 stutters so much there is sound but video is static.
Just tested on my partners i3-2310 and the video plays but still same image we had on the TV. Thinking my laptop is going to struggle with editing.
Am I doing something wrong?
Welcome to the forum!

1080p50/60 is problematic in that there are fewer ways to view it than one would think. It is because the files are huge and the bitrate high.

As already mentioned, the HDMI direct from camcorder to TV works well.

Viewing on a PC is often clunky, depending on the PC. A viewer called Splash Lite is a free download and usually fixes it. http://mirillis.com/en/products/splash.html

Some newer Blu-Ray players will handle it. Panasonic Blu-Ray players even have a slot for SD cards straight out of your camcorder. Some wilI play it if copied to a plain DVD as a data file. (Not as a "burned" DVD).

Perhaps the most convenient, when you have a collection of your videos, is a dedicated media player like the WD TV Live that will play anything, including 1080p, smoothly.

You did not say what your computer is, but for editing give a serious look at HDWriter that came with your camera. It has some creative limits, but handles the 1080p50/60 files efficiently on most computers.

Until the most recent versions of third party editors, 1080p60 was not "officially" supported. Both Sony and Adobe have "consumer" versions that are under $100US. Trial versions can be tested for 30 days.

Bill
post #554 of 747 Old 12-26-2012, 11:42 AM

Yep sorry did mention laptop spec, how T7600/2gb/win 8. Appreciate its old now. Plan is to store them on my Synology DS211 and back through 360.

Not had chance to install the hdwriter but will install when I get the chance. Thinking also some of the grainyness could be because it was indoors. Not sure how better some of the other modes might be
post #555 of 747 Old 12-26-2012, 01:49 PM

Just thinking, maybe the 1080/50p isn't wise for me as I don't have a bluray player or family if I wanted to burn off.

Mainly for honeymoon fly drive round USA and baja next year
post #556 of 747 Old 12-27-2012, 12:37 AM

Hey everyone,
I'm new to this forum and just recently bought a panasonic HC V700. I have been using it and noticed that the sound quality wasn't up to standard to what I want to do. I'm making short films meaning I need one that can pick up decent quality voice. I went to the store where I bought it from and they said it can only take up to a certain voltage. Anyone know of any decent cheap external microphones that would be good for my use?

Also, should i get a 46mm to 58mm adapter if i wanted to put filters and a lens hood on?
post #557 of 747 Old 12-27-2012, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi Spuderick - Congratulations on the new V700 and welcome to the world of digital filmmaking (which is at least 50% sound!). My guess is that your built-in mic is too far from your actors? These days, for low budget shooters, I'm recommending the $142 Sony Bluetooth wireless mic.

Here is what this mic can do with an iPhone:

And yes, get a step up ring for your filters and lens hood - but 58mm may not be wide enough to avoid vignetting when you're zoomed all the way out. I put a 58mm Mennon hood on my TM900 (pictured below) and had to take it off, because you could see it on the edges of the frame in wide shots.

Instead I got a $10 46mm to 77mm step up ring and a $50 77mm aIR-Matte A2 matte box (pictured below), which keeps glare off the lens and allows me to slide in inexpensive ND, polarizing, and colored filters - without having to screw them on and off my lens all the time.

Hope this is helpful and best of the New Year!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #558 of 747 Old 12-27-2012, 07:02 AM

post #559 of 747 Old 12-27-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunerww View Post

And yes, get a step up ring for your filters and lens hood - but 58mm may not be wide enough to avoid vignetting when you're zoomed all the way out.

Panasonic make a lens hood for the V700 (http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-HC-V700M-Digital-Stepping-Microfiber/dp/B007R9AZAW) and their step up ring is 46-58 so any vignetting may be due to the third-party lens hood.
post #560 of 747 Old 12-27-2012, 12:24 PM

Just installed SplashLite and seems to play back well. Also the HDWriter seems to play it back ok although it tells me my laptop isn't powerful enough.

Need to get some outdoors filming down to test the 50p glory and see if there is much noticeable difference between HA 1920 at 1080i and the 1080p

I thought the component leads were HD, I use the same cables for my 360 and that always registers as 1080i but then guessing the HDMI gives you the 1080p. Again interesting to see what difference it actually makes.
post #561 of 747 Old 12-27-2012, 08:10 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Looks like the one! The batteries are about twice as big as the Panasonic battery, and hold more power.
post #562 of 747 Old 12-27-2012, 10:08 PM

Liked: 12
Bill, do you ever shoot without a tripod? If so, what's your setup? Something that big, with a matte box etc., might be too bulky to hold in your hands.
post #563 of 747 Old 12-27-2012, 11:43 PM

Thanks for the reply Bill.

I'm not really looking at buying a wireless mic, I would prefer one that can be attached to the camera. I just didn't know what the best would be for doing what I want to.

The hood lens I would prefer to the size minimal. How far do you have to zoom in before it gets the vignette?

Thanks,
Spud
post #564 of 747 Old 12-28-2012, 04:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing51 View Post

...Something that big, with a matte box etc., might be too bulky to hold in your hands.

Piece of cake with a $5.25 Vivitar Steady Pod/Pistol Grip:

Reminds me of shooting with my old Super 8 camera at film school back in the '70s smile.gif

Cheers and Happy New Year,

Bill
post #565 of 747 Old 12-28-2012, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potoroo View Post

Panasonic make a lens hood for the V700 (http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-HC-V700M-Digital-Stepping-Microfiber/dp/B007R9AZAW) and their step up ring is 46-58 so any vignetting may be due to the third-party lens hood.

Thanks, Potoroo - even though it says "Panasonic" in the item title, that's a 3rd party lens hood too wink.gif

Great find, nonetheless. The reason this one is less likely to vignette is because of its "tulip" shape, with the sides cut out. This may be what Spud needs.

Spud - maybe this hood solves your problem?

"Panasonic HC-V700M Pro Digital Lens Hood"

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #566 of 747 Old 12-28-2012, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuderick View Post

Thanks for the reply Bill.
I'm not really looking at buying a wireless mic, I would prefer one that can be attached to the camera. I just didn't know what the best would be for doing what I want to...

Spud - I tried a little cardioid mounted on top of the camera (an $80 Azden SMX-10 - pictured in the lens hood post above), and it helped a little, but not a lot.

A lot of people buy the highly regarded $149 Rode Videomic or $229 Videomic "Pro" - but, in my opinion, that's a lot of money for a mic with an unbalanced minijack output.

You can save a little money by buying Opteka versions of the Rode mics - the mono VM-100 for $80 or the stereo VM-200 for $139.

Personally, I have decided to switch to a balanced pro shotgun mic (I just bought a used Audio Technica AT835 on eBay for $75 shipped), with a $55 windscreen and a $16 XLR to minijack impedance matching transformer. I will mount the Audio Technica on top of the camera with a $30 shock mount until I can figure out a one-man boom solution.

There's another used AT835 on eBay right now for $120. If you decide to buy a pro mic - please make sure it is battery powered (like the $219 Audio Technica AT897). Your camera does not generate the "phantom power" required by batteryless professional microphones.

The audio quality from a pre-owned, battery powered, professional mic with a balanced XLR output will beat an unbalanced consumer mic like the Rode every time - even if the Rode is labeled "Pro" smile.gif

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #567 of 747 Old 12-28-2012, 01:21 PM

Hello,

What are people's thoughts on using a Zoom H2n and mounting it to the shoe mount with an adapter? Looks like a great mic that can do full surround sound, with the option of being removed and placed closer to the subject as appropriate. Of course, you do need to sync audio later, but the quality may be worth the minor effort. When on-camera, you can connect it to the camera's mic input, though there may be some loss of quality.

Regarding the lack of a headphone jack, I rigged up the a/v multi cable with a two-RCA to one 3.5mm headphone jack and it works for an always-on live audio feed. Has anyone explored making a cable that is just a/v multi to headphone jack? I'm not sure how sourceable the Panasonic a/v multi plug is, though; it's a little pricey to chop up a $30+ cable, but it's at least an option...

BTW, I still haven't figured out how to set the camera to not reset the filename number for videos after wiping the card. I only see the option for photos and iFrame. If anyone can help with that, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!
post #568 of 747 Old 12-29-2012, 08:28 PM

Thanks Bill.
I am going to buy the mic off of ebay and get the 46 - 58 adapter to use the lens hood that is made for the camera. I just went through my camera cupboard and found a bunch of 58mm filters from an old camera which was a bonus.

Thanks again.
Spud
post #569 of 747 Old 12-31-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWayz View Post

Also, any general tips?
I just bought Magix Movie Edit Pro 2013 Premium to do the editing after CyperLink PowerDirector 12 crashes on loading :/

Greetings.. I currently use a Panasonic DVC30 and Magix Movie Edit Pro (a previous version) While this is an awesome suite for linear editing from MiniDV, how does it fair with the files with this genre of camera? I had the chance to try it out with a different camera I borrowed last year and was disappointed that though the video files were broken up into separate files every time you paused the camera while recording but Magix would add them to the time line sequentially, but there was always a 'glitch' at the joint of two file, missing like a partial second of video and sound which wasn't good for my needs.. Have you experienced this with the Magix suite and the files this camera puts out?

I always export to WMV for web content, how does would that work with these digital files? Sort of looking for a feel of what I might be getting myself into if I swap my DVC30 for a newer technology camera.. it's all new to me..

Thanks in advance for any info..

Cheers
post #570 of 747 Old 01-03-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaking406 View Post

Greetings.. I currently use a Panasonic DVC30 and Magix Movie Edit Pro (a previous version) While this is an awesome suite for linear editing from MiniDV, how does it fair with the files with this genre of camera? I had the chance to try it out with a different camera I borrowed last year and was disappointed that though the video files were broken up into separate files every time you paused the camera while recording but Magix would add them to the time line sequentially, but there was always a 'glitch' at the joint of two file, missing like a partial second of video and sound which wasn't good for my needs.. Have you experienced this with the Magix suite and the files this camera puts out?
I always export to WMV for web content, how does would that work with these digital files? Sort of looking for a feel of what I might be getting myself into if I swap my DVC30 for a newer technology camera.. it's all new to me..
Thanks in advance for any info..
Cheers

The way to handle abrupt transitions between clips is to put a fade or crossfade transition between them. I'm not familiar with Magix Movie Edit Pro but if it is anything like most of the other packages it will have a group of transitions that you can drag and drop on the place where the two clips meet. As far as which format to save your movies in, I normally use .mp4 at either 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080 since I post on Vimeo and Vimeo prefers .mp4 format. In any case, I try to save my movies in the highest quality the camera and software together can produce. Saving space by making reduced quality videos seems counterproductive. Why spend so much money on a good camcorder and then reduce the quality of the output to save storage space? Today you can buy additional hard drives with capacities up to 4tb. I just replace the older, smaller hard drives with newer, faster, bigger ones.

Good luck.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page