Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 747 Old 12-21-2013, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing51 View Post

I just ordered the ePhoto L-bracket mount (WSA613) . It seems that I'll be able to hold the camcorder with both hands. The only thing is that apparently the L-bracket may not allow the screen to open all the way.

The pistol grip doesn't provide very much stability for me. Maybe it works for you, but somehow it's harder for me to keep the camera stable with the pistol grip than without anything.

However, the bracket works well. It doesn't allow for the screen to flip out all the way. So I ended up getting a second bracket, chopping off the bottom portion (the horizontal bar), drilling a hole and tapping it for camera screw thread (1/4-20, if I remember correctly). Then you can use the screw that comes with the bracket to secure the extension piece. This way you have enough room to open the screen fully.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 747 Old 12-25-2013, 11:10 PM

WIDE-ANGLE CONVERSION LENS!

Does anyone have the VW-W4907H? (Middle of the page for the V700 page at Panasonic; or the listing at B&H with price). I saw some Youtube reviews/demos, and it's a little hard to see how much barrel distortion it adds. At the wide end, even without an attachment lens, the V700 already has some barrel distortion.

At $200, it seems a little expensive for V700. Amazon seems to have some very cheap alternatives, starting at $10. These seem designed for photo cameras. I am guessing they also work for the V700, with the right step-up/down ring. Has anyone tried any of these?

EDIT: On Amazone and Youtube you can find reviews of the various el cheapo wide-angle conversion lenses. Just search for "0.45x conversion lens." There is often visible distortion and loss of sharpness around the edges. The lenses often come with a macro attachment, and some figured out that you can take it out for an even bigger wide angle, which makes the barrel distortion even worse. Example: this one from Amazon.
post #723 of 747 Old 12-26-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I don't remember the exact part number, but bought the Panasonic version when my SDT750 was new. I needed it for shooting fishing trips in small boats and birthday parties in small rooms. Both are situations where I could not get far enough back to frame the subjects the way I wanted. It works well for both. Whatever distortion is created, if any, I don't notice it. If I looked hard enough, I might find it.
post #724 of 747 Old 12-26-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

my SDT750

Just looked this up -- is it the 3D camcorder? That's a really nifty idea. Did you use this for friends/family videos, and if so, how did the sharing go? I am guessing everyone needs to wear 3D glasses. That might make home screening less spontaneous, perhaps? Or maybe it didn't have any impact at all. Is it possible to convert 3D to 2D?

It seems you can also get a 3D attachment for the V700. Has anyone tried this?
post #725 of 747 Old 12-26-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just looked this up -- is it the 3D camcorder? That's a really nifty idea. Did you use this for friends/family videos, and if so, how did the sharing go? I am guessing everyone needs to wear 3D glasses. That might make home screening less spontaneous, perhaps? Or maybe it didn't have any impact at all. Is it possible to convert 3D to 2D?

It seems you can also get a 3D attachment for the V700. Has anyone tried this?

Back a couple years ago the TM900 was the top of the consumer line. Panasonic and all the others were pushing 3D TV. It was hard to get a new top end TV without 3D. The sales people would give you the glasses to close the deal. I bought a Sony 55" and was given 4 sets of glasses the were supposed to sell for $100 each!

About the same time, Panasonic put together a 3D camcorder kit. As near as I can tell it was a TM900 with a different label and the kit included a 3D lens. 3D was such a despised dud in the market place they had to get rid of the SDT750 camera kits by offering deep discounts. From what I read at the time, most sold the lens on ebay and kept the camera as a functional equivalent to the TM900. It was weird, the large sticker that told the world you had a 3D camera peeled off easily.

I suspect that the 3D attachment you are looking at is about the same as I have. It works! Shoot the clips, play them on a 3D TV and watch with the glasses. It is not quite full frame, but close. I've done some fun stuff with my granddaughters. On one vacation trip to Zion NP I did the whole thing in 3D. I accidentally had the IS off and it's pretty hard to watch!

I think I've had more use out of the wide angle lens than the 3D lens.
post #726 of 747 Old 12-26-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:

It was weird, the large sticker that told the world you had a 3D camera peeled off easily.

biggrin.gif You're a funny guy!

Too bad about your Zion NP videos. It's a beautiful place.

I figure the wide angle might be useful. Sometimes you'd get stuck pretty close to the subject. I just don't know that it happens often enough that I'd be justified in paying $200 to have the presumably better lens from Panasonic instead of the $10 cheapie.
post #727 of 747 Old 12-28-2013, 08:20 PM

Liked: 13
Hi
What software does everyone use for making DVDs for standard players? I tried makin my first DVD with W7 movie maker and the quality was terrible (footage in1080p or something).
The video DVD was very grainy. I used Sony Vegas years ago, Vegas 6 I think so I am somewhat familiar with those shortcuts.

What is a mid- level software that people like, even the panny included disk, which I haven't tried yet.

Thanks
post #728 of 747 Old 12-30-2013, 04:29 AM

Liked: 11
I highly recommend Serif MoviePlus. The current version is X6 but you can get version X5 on sale for $14.99 through January 6 at Serif.com. The software allows unlimited video/audio tracks and has several built in movie themes with titles/credit and music if you don't want to edit on a timeline. Can output to DVD, BluRay, ISO, MPG, etc. Also has a very active user's forum to get help.

tomH
hvc700mbuyer likes this.
post #729 of 747 Old 01-06-2014, 03:00 PM

The HD Writer software included with the Panny seems lame, has anyone used the Sony (vegas) Platinum software? I used it back in version 6 and I am somewhat familiar with it.
post #730 of 747 Old 01-14-2014, 07:58 AM

UPDATE ON WIDE-ANGLE CONVERSION LENS!
Quote:

Does anyone have the VW-W4907H? (Middle of the page for the V700 page at Panasonic; or the listing at B&H with price). I saw some Youtube reviews/demos, and it's a little hard to see how much barrel distortion it adds. At the wide end, even without an attachment lens, the V700 already has some barrel distortion.

At $200, it seems a little expensive for V700. Amazon seems to have some very cheap alternatives, starting at $10. These seem designed for photo cameras. I am guessing they also work for the V700, with the right step-up/down ring. Has anyone tried any of these?

EDIT: On Amazone and Youtube you can find reviews of the various el cheapo wide-angle conversion lenses. Just search for "0.45x conversion lens." There is often visible distortion and loss of sharpness around the edges. The lenses often come with a macro attachment, and some figured out that you can take it out for an even bigger wide angle, which makes the barrel distortion even worse. Example: this one from Amazon.

I got the Neewer wide-angle conversion lens, made by "Japan Optics." For around $10, I figure what do I have to lose. You can find product reviews on Amazon and on Youtube. So let me just add a few observations applicable to us V700 owners.

You need a 46mm-58mm step up ring to mount the lens. Now here's a problem. You will get vignetting at the widest angle. You see more with the conversion lens than without, even with the substantial vignetting. If you don't want vignetting, you can zoom in a little (around 2x). However, you end up being barely a little wider than without the conversion lens, and you get more barrel distortion. So it's your choice in compromise. To me, I'd use the Neewer for situations where I really just need to get everything in the frame, accepting vignetting and barrel distortion as a cost. (The distortion is noticeable, but not terrible. At the widest angle, even without the wide-angle conversion lens, there is already a little distortion.)

So, if you really need a wide-angle without vignetting, you just have to fork over the cash for the Panasonic conversion lens.

Back to the Neewer. The conversion lens has two parts -- the wide-angle and the macro. Normally the two are screwed together. You can take them apart and use the macro, which works reasonably well. You can zoom in for even greater magnification.

If you get a 58mm male-to-male ring in addition to the step up ring, you can attach just the wide-angle part to the camcorder. Without the macro attached to the wide-angle, you get an even wider field of view. However, the vignetting is even worse, and you start to get a fisheye view. I wouldn't bother getting a lens hood for the Neewer. Without the macro, you basically need a matte box for such an extreme wide angle.

Who is Japan Optics and where is their factory? Who knows? I couldn't find any "made in x" label, not that the place or origin means anything when it comes to a $10 lens. It seems people think it's a knock-off of a Zeikos design. Upon receiving the goods, I had to clean up the threads a bit. The lenses were clean.

If there is interest, I can update with some pictures.

PS. It seems that you can focus from 1x to 10x zoom, but not beyond. Of course, if you're already using a wide-angle filter, you probably don't need zoom.
post #731 of 747 Old 02-09-2014, 03:39 PM

Broken 700M help. Out of the blue my video camera sounds as if there is a plastic piece loose inside the camera :-(.

A light shake and it sounds like something bouncing around. It's not a port cover, battery, etc. Everything seems to be working ok.
It's greater than 90 days but less than a year old. Should I investigate this and bring it to service center or juts deal with it and wait until something stops working? The rattle is very obvious and I baby my camera so that's why it is upsetting.

Thoughts?
post #732 of 747 Old 02-10-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvc700mbuyer View Post

Thoughts?
Two:

It would not surprise me if the rattle goes away with the power on. If it still rattles with the power on, then it might be a loose part.

Most gear has a 1 year warranty. If you bought it with a credit card like a Visa, buried in the fine print of the credit card contract is that they "double" the manufacturers warranty. I had a Sony fixed that way when it was 14 months old. Visa had me send the camera to Sony, pay or the repair myself and then sent me a check for the amount on the invoice.
post #733 of 747 Old 02-10-2014, 12:10 PM

Ok, sure enough the rattle goes away considerably with the power on! Thanks. It goes from a clunk-clunk to a small click-click in my best descriptive language.

Why is this? I've never heard of such a thing...what is going on power on vs power off...=just so I can understand.

It seems like quite the hassle to get it checked out...so if everything seems to be working...in your opinion...don't worry about it or still get it checked out?

Thanks!
post #734 of 747 Old 02-12-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Something in the camera goes from a relaxed, loose state when the power is off to a tensioned, tight state with the power on. My blind guess is that it is a mechanical component of the stabilization or focus systems. If it shoots good video, let it be!

Unfortunately, the state of consumer electronics, is that everything will need replacement because it will break. The only answer is a savings account!
post #735 of 747 Old 02-16-2014, 09:05 AM

May I then ask.....does anyone else's 700 do this?
post #736 of 747 Old 02-16-2014, 10:02 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvc700mbuyer View Post

May I then ask.....does anyone else's 700 do this?

Yes, this is normal. It's the image stabilizaton mechanizim. The lens moves/floats in a controlled manner when power is on but is released when power is off. My v700 does this as well as a family members.
post #737 of 747 Old 02-17-2014, 09:52 AM

Thank-you for the quick response! :-)
post #738 of 747 Old 04-04-2014, 11:35 PM

I have the v700m and my LCD screen was cracked. It still works fine but I cannot seem to locate a replacement anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find one?

Thanks, Matt
post #739 of 747 Old 04-11-2014, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

After two happy years with my 700 I have recently upgraded to the 750 (2014 model) Again a brilliant camera. I still use the 700 in two camera shoots and there is no noticeable difference in quality when shots from both cameras are rendered together.

post #740 of 747 Old 05-28-2014, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi all, this is my first post.

I have the Panasonic HC-V700 and have discovered a problem with the recording time and the way it splits the video's into 4GB files.

I use the camera for videoing bands on stage.  I hadn't noticed it before but if I let the camera record continuously say over 30 minutes I find that when it breaks the video into the 4GB chunks that it drops the audio for about 1/2 second.  This is a big issue when the band is singing right at that moment.  The video continues but its the audio that drops out.

Does anyone know if this is normal for this model or if there is a firmware upgrade that fixes this?

The other issue I have is white balance.  If I put the inbuilt camera light on the colours of peoples faces look like they have kidney problems e.g. a off yellow type of colour.

I read a suggestion that you can change the white balance but I don't seem to have that option on my camera.  Perhaps in manual mode but not in the Ai modes.

Thanks.

post #741 of 747 Old 05-28-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralnw View Post

Hi all, this is my first post.

I have the Pansonic HC-V700 and have discovered a problem with the recording time and the way it splits the video's into 4GB files.

I use the camera for videoing bands on stage.  I hadn't noticed it before but if I let the camera record continuously say over 30 minutes I find that when it breaks the video into the 4GB chunks that it drops the audio for about 1/2 second.  This is a big issue when the band is singing right at that moment.  The video continues but its the audio that drops out.

Does anyone know if this is normal for this model or if there is a firmware upgrade that fixes this?

The other issue I have is white balance.  If I put the inbuilt camera light on the colours of peoples faces look like they have kidney problems e.g. a off yellow type of colour.

I read a suggestion that you can change the white balance but I don't seem to have that option on my camera.  Perhaps in manual mode but not in the Ai modes.

Thanks.
The 4GB file split is normal. It has to do with format limitations of SD cards. The editing software that comes with the camera is usually ignored, but should glue the clips together. It may not be useful for anything else.

iA does take over everything, including white balance. It works well in a lot of situations. If not for you, you'll have to read the book a bit to figure out how to get it done manually.

Good luck.
post #742 of 747 Old 05-28-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:

The 4GB file split is normal. It has to do with format limitations of SD cards. The editing software that comes with the camera is usually ignored, but should glue the clips together. It may not be useful for anything else.

iA does take over everything, including white balance. It works well in a lot of situations. If not for you, you'll have to read the book a bit to figure out how to get it done manually.

Good luck.

Thanks for the quick reply bsprague.

I must say I scoffed at your suggestion to use the supplied software.  My apologies, your right it does make a difference, the file appears as one video (within HD Writer 5.0 ) and the audio is there, however they are still segmented within the folder.  This makes it a problem for post production if they are in two segments as it still drops the 1/2 second.

It seems to copy the files quicker to the computer too. 

When I pull these two files into Sony Vegas12 the 1/2 second missing audio problem is still there. (hoped having all the miscellaneous files might have helped)

I couldn't find an option to export the file out of HD Writer AE5.0 as one large file unfortunately.  Any suggestions?

I had another look at the video light and have come to the conclusion I have to be in Manual mode with WB adjusted for the colours to be correct.  That's a pain.

Any idea's on exporting from HD Writer?

Thanks.

post #743 of 747 Old 05-28-2014, 10:54 PM

You should consider only using HDWriter to copy files from the camera to your PC. The editing section has caused trouble to others and I feel you would be better using a good video editor.

The 1/2 second loss of sound has also caused others problems and, again, the suggestion is that you record the sound on a separate piece of kit, a Zoom or a Tascam for example. You can then sync the sound with the video in the editor. Most editors allow a slight stretching of the video to cover for the 1/2 second loss of timing.

The 4Gb file limit is not a Panasonic fault but has more to do with the FAT32 formatting.

I don't think that the firmware in the 700 can be updated. This is an option that I have seen in the 750 but not the 700.

An upgrade to the 750 will solve some problems as there is an iA+ mode which allows manual control over brightness and colour balance while keeping the other functions under automatic control.

post #744 of 747 Old 05-29-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

.....it does make a difference, the file appears as one video (within HD Writer 5.0 ) and the audio is there, however they are still segmented within the folder.  .....Any idea's on exporting from HD Writer?

My HDWriter is a little older version. As I've written in other places, my version of HDWriter does some things very well that other NLEs don't. If you use it to transfer your video files from your camera to your computer the option of using the few good features appears. If you don't use it for the transfer those options disappear. To know if you will ever want those options you have to review the HDWriter manual.

My HDWriter does three things I like:

-edit 3D, and yes I have the goofy 3D lens

-It will write videos edited in HDWriter back to the camera. For example, you shoot a kid's soccer game and edit for the highlights. You can put it back on the camera, carry the camera to the team party and (with the variety of optional cables available) play the finished highlight video on ANY TV. In other words, it turns the camcorder into a media player. Mine even came with a remote to control playback.

-It will do limited "lossless" editing. Nearly all other NLEs will render, transcode or process clips and loose a little picture quality along the way. HDWriter does not. Other than some trim edits, it allows no clip manipulation or adjustments. Therefore, when you are ready, it outputs a new file with perfectly lossless results. You can then take the new file to your favorite NLE like Vegas as a continuous clip. In other words, it will join two 4GB clips and 2.5GB clip into one seamless 10.5GB clip. And, since it is not rendering, transcoding or processing, it does it fast -- even on weaker computers.

The point here is that not only will the files APPEAR as one video in HDWriter, it will output, export or copy a NEW file that is the perfect sum of the parts. This is to overcome the 4GB file format limits in SD cards that your computer should not have.

Note that, other than testing this when I was consumed with lossless editing, I never do it. My clips are never longer than a few minutes each so don't exceed the 4GB limit.
post #745 of 747 Old 05-31-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terfyn View Post

The 1/2 second loss of sound has also caused others problems and, again, the suggestion is that you record the sound on a separate piece of kit, a Zoom or a Tascam for example. You can then sync the sound with the video in the editor. Most editors allow a slight stretching of the video to cover for the 1/2 second loss of timing.

I don't think that the firmware in the 700 can be updated. This is an option that I have seen in the 750 but not the 700.

An upgrade to the 750 will solve some problems as there is an iA+ mode which allows manual control over brightness and colour balance while keeping the other functions under automatic control.

Thanks for the reply Terfyn,

I actually have the HC-V720 slight error on my part.  

The idea of recording with a zoom or other makes sense sure but it is sad that one would have to do this.  Stretching audio is not really ideal especially in my case where the musicians are university trained they pick up on these little blips!

I don't understand why Panasonic can allow this break in audio even if it is only 1/2 second.  As far as fat32 goes   exfat would be a better soloution

Thanks again for the reply.

post #746 of 747 Old 05-31-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:

HDWriter does some things very well that other NLEs don't. If you use it to transfer your video files from your camera to your computer the option of using the few good features appears. If you don't use it for the transfer those options disappear. 

-It will do limited "lossless" editing. Nearly all other NLEs will render, transcode or process clips and loose a little picture quality along the way. HDWriter does not. Other than some trim edits, it allows no clip manipulation or adjustments. Therefore, when you are ready, it outputs a new file with perfectly lossless results. You can then take the new file to your favorite NLE like Vegas as a continuous clip. In other words, it will join two 4GB clips and 2.5GB clip into one seamless 10.5GB clip. And, since it is not rendering, transcoding or processing, it does it fast -- even on weaker computers.

The point here is that not only will the files APPEAR as one video in HDWriter, it will output, export or copy a NEW file that is the perfect sum of the parts. This is to overcome the 4GB file format limits in SD cards that your computer should not have.

Note that, other than testing this when I was consumed with lossless editing, I never do it. My clips are never longer than a few minutes each so don't exceed the 4GB limit.

bsprague, thanks for the reply.

I did some homework e.g. play around with the HD Writer V5.0 software and found a few things out.

One thing I could not recreate is the output of a continuous 10.5BG (actually its only one 4GB + 2.5GBfile so approx 6.5GB total.)   It breaks it up still.  This really confused me given that I am running NTFS file system so there is no need for it to break up the files.  I opened Vegas and found 1/2 second audio at the end of the first 4GB file is still missing and to make sure I also used another program to confirm.

I also noticed that when I play the video in HD Writer 5.0 that at the point of no audio in vegas 23.15mins that the audio level drops in the HD Writer player but does seem to have something there.  It is hard to zoom in on it as program/s don't have that ability

I guess I'll put it down to frustrating and the next camera I get will use exfat file format to store the video on!

post #747 of 747 Old 05-31-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply Terfyn,

I actually have the HC-V720 slight error on my part.  

The idea of recording with a zoom or other makes sense sure but it is sad that one would have to do this.  Stretching audio is not really ideal especially in my case where the musicians are university trained they pick up on these little blips!

I don't understand why Panasonic can allow this break in audio even if it is only 1/2 second.  As far as fat32 goes   exfat would be a better soloution

Thanks again for the reply.

Let me be clear. I was suggesting you record the audio as a continuous stream on a stand alone recorder. You then align the video with the audio and stretch the video to match the audio.

As Panasonic have now introduced cameras with firmwear that can be updated, and they have the licence from Microsoft to use ExFat, they will create an update with that feature.

Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page