The Official Panasonic HC-V700 Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 747 Old 05-30-2012, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My v700 arrived today but I still don't have sd card so I cannot properly test it, though first impressions are really good.
I'm trying to find answer in manual but without success, does anyone know what is that small icon in the upper right corner of the screen bellow ois icon? It looks like small crossed waves?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 747 Old 05-30-2012, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoskon View Post

My v700 arrived today but I still don't have sd card so I cannot properly test it, though first impressions are really good.
I'm trying to find answer in manual but without success, does anyone know what is that small icon in the upper right corner of the screen bellow ois icon? It looks like small crossed waves?

It's the Wind noise canceler icon shown on page 139 in the manual. Hope you get an SD card soon.
post #93 of 747 Old 05-30-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayook View Post

It's the Wind noise canceler icon shown on page 139 in the manual. Hope you get an SD card soon.

Ah I see it now, thanks!
post #94 of 747 Old 06-01-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitdaddy View Post

I'm set to 1080p. Maybe I'm being to nit picky. If I could put a small clip on YouTube it would show what I am talking about. Suppose you are zooming in on a bird in a tree. When slowly zooming in the object will most likely stay in focus. It just isn't 'crisp'. Once I stop everything gets perfectly crisp. Every feather on the bird, every leaf in the tree, etc.. Tell me I'm being to picky.

Finally got to try mine out last night and i noticed the exact same thing. When panning everything would look slightly blurred, but once i stopped, everything was super sharp and every detail was crystal clear. I begin panning again and things get slightly blurry again until i stop. I'm guessing this is "normal" and not uncommon for single chip camcorders like this. The display might even be partly to blame in some cases (pixel response time, same-and-hold display types, etc.)

I was hoping the motion would appear smoother in 1080/60p so that i can utilize some slow mo effects in post, but i havent gotten that far yet to confirm how it would look. Has anyone messed with the manual settings (e.g. shutter speeds) to capture some shots for a decent slow mo effect?
post #95 of 747 Old 06-01-2012, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfather927 View Post

Finally got to try mine out last night and i noticed the exact same thing. When panning everything would look slightly blurred, but once i stopped, everything was super sharp and every detail was crystal clear. I begin panning again and things get slightly blurry again until i stop. I'm guessing this is "normal" and not uncommon for single chip camcorders like this. The display might even be partly to blame in some cases (pixel response time, same-and-hold display types, etc.)

I was hoping the motion would appear smoother in 1080/60p so that i can utilize some slow mo effects in post, but i havent gotten that far yet to confirm how it would look. Has anyone messed with the manual settings (e.g. shutter speeds) to capture some shots for a decent slow mo effect?

There are several reasons pans are not sharp even with 1080/60p, for one, if you were waving a camera around and took a photograph would you expect it to be sharp? Typically we do everything we can to hold a camera steady to stop blurring, yet some how think a video camera is immune to the same problem A video camera is just a stills camera taking 60 photographs a second, all the same caveats apply.

If you up the shutter speed as high as you can, given enough light that is, this will help "freeze" each picture even when the camera is panning, the same trick used in ordinary photography.

Even then, the compression system, and the LCD display you play it back all contribute to motion burring, most noticeably with camera pans, and due to the high resolution, the drop in resolution is all the more obvious. If you stood on the same spot and don't move your eyes and turn in a circle it's blurry too!

All the same issues are seen on broadcast TV and films, except they will go to great lengths to avoid the problem in the first place. Often the static scenes will have a low pass filter to remove some detail so you don't notice the drop in detail as the camera pans, and rather than panning on the spot to follow an actor or subject, the camera will roll along a track on a dolly.

Regards

Phil
post #96 of 747 Old 06-01-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_L View Post

Hi

There are several reasons pans are not sharp even with 1080/60p, for one, if you were waving a camera around and took a photograph would you expect it to be sharp? Typically we do everything we can to hold a camera steady to stop blurring, yet some how think a video camera is immune to the same problem A video camera is just a stills camera taking 60 photographs a second, all the same caveats apply.

If you up the shutter speed as high as you can, given enough light that is, this will help "freeze" each picture even when the camera is panning, the same trick used in ordinary photography.

Even then, the compression system, and the LCD display you play it back all contribute to motion burring, most noticeably with camera pans, and due to the high resolution, the drop in resolution is all the more obvious. If you stood on the same spot and don't move your eyes and turn in a circle it's blurry too!

All the same issues are seen on broadcast TV and films, except they will go to great lengths to avoid the problem in the first place. Often the static scenes will have a low pass filter to remove some detail so you don't notice the drop in detail as the camera pans, and rather than panning on the spot to follow an actor or subject, the camera will roll along a track on a dolly.

Regards

Phil

Phil, the panning I was referring to was very steady and also very slow just as pitdaddy reiterated in his earlier posts. I'm not sure where you got the impression otherwise. The same effect can be seen while zooming on a tripod at the slowest possible speed (which on this camera is the slowest ive ever seen.)

As i already stated, i also found this to be common and pointed out that the display device may contribute to this effect as well. If films and TV broadcasts somehow "degrade" their static shots to make the loss of detail when panning less pronounced, then that certainly makes sense, but I also believe the quality and types of cameras have an impact as well. After all, we are still talking about a sub $500 consumer camcorder and not professional equipment.

As for adjustments in shutter speed, so far I've found it a bit difficult to strike the proper balance so that the blurring is reduced but while also avoiding the strobing associated with quicker shorter speeds.
post #97 of 747 Old 06-01-2012, 02:01 PM

I recently purchased the V700K from Amazon along with an accessory kit from Butterfly photo. The accessory kit contained a Photive 2000mah battery, but upon charging and placing into the camera I got an error saying "This battery cannot be used." Butterfly was nice enough to issue me a credit for the battery. Now I need to buy another spare battery that actually works. Any suggestions? I saw wasabi mentioned. I wanted to find out if anyone had ordered this one from east coast photo via amazon:

VW-BK360 Replacement Battery
post #98 of 747 Old 06-02-2012, 03:27 AM

Quote:

It most likely has to do with the stabilisation mode you have on. There are different modes for different purposes. Turn it off completely and see if it still blurs
post #99 of 747 Old 06-02-2012, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi

Quote:

Phil, the panning I was referring to was very steady and also very slow just as pitdaddy reiterated in his earlier posts. I'm not sure where you got the impression otherwise. The same effect can be seen while zooming on a tripod at the slowest possible speed (which on this camera is the slowest ive ever seen.)

As i already stated, i also found this to be common and pointed out that the display device may contribute to this effect as well. If films and TV broadcasts somehow "degrade" their static shots to make the loss of detail when panning less pronounced, then that certainly makes sense, but I also believe the quality and types of cameras have an impact as well. After all, we are still talking about a sub $500 consumer camcorder and not professional equipment.

As for adjustments in shutter speed, so far I've found it a bit difficult to strike the proper balance so that the blurring is reduced but while also avoiding the strobing associated with quicker shorter speeds.

Any movement is movement regardless of speed. You need to use a manual shutter speed of at least 1/250th sec to have a chance of each individual frame not being blur (or use a sports mode if no manual settings which forces the fastest shutter speed). Zooming is the same, it's movement.

With a digital camera, perform the same slow pan and take a photograph with shutter speeds less than 1/250th of a second and see if it is sharp.

A video camera is just a stills camera taking 60 photographs a second, if you have movement, or movement of the camera, each of those 60 photographs a second will be blurred unless you have a high shutter speed.

To check where the problem is, freeze frame your video. If it freezes and gives you a nice clear picture, then shutter speed was high enough to give you a sharp image during the pan and the compression system is coping with it, so the blurring problem is on the display device. Watching on LCD displays and tracking movement with our eyes will see it blurring due to the hold up time of LCD, our eyes cause the blurring as we track them across a series of static images shown one after the other. 120Hz LCD TVs help avoid this as they create intermediate images so each image is displayed for less time, sort of a shutter speed in reverse.

If the freeze is blurry then either the shutter speed was too slow to freeze the action or the compression system isn't coping, or a combination of both. Also note with H264 when it can't cope with a busy scene it doesn't go blocky like MPEG2, it goes blurry instead as it has deblocking algorithms to smudge out the edges of the blocks.

Hope that helps.

Regards

PHil
post #100 of 747 Old 06-03-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikester1 View Post

One more question, can anyone recommend a good case for this camcorder? Want something small but would protect it from a good drop.

I'm going to bring this question back up now that maybe a few more people have this thing. The case I have, while good for the camera, extra batteries and memory card and maybe a filter, won't hold the cables/chargers that I need if I want to keep everything together.

Suggestions?
post #101 of 747 Old 06-04-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_L View Post

Hi

Any movement is movement regardless of speed. You need to use a manual shutter speed of at least 1/250th sec to have a chance of each individual frame not being blur (or use a sports mode if no manual settings which forces the fastest shutter speed). Zooming is the same, it's movement.

With a digital camera, perform the same slow pan and take a photograph with shutter speeds less than 1/250th of a second and see if it is sharp.

A video camera is just a stills camera taking 60 photographs a second, if you have movement, or movement of the camera, each of those 60 photographs a second will be blurred unless you have a high shutter speed.

To check where the problem is, freeze frame your video. If it freezes and gives you a nice clear picture, then shutter speed was high enough to give you a sharp image during the pan and the compression system is coping with it, so the blurring problem is on the display device. Watching on LCD displays and tracking movement with our eyes will see it blurring due to the hold up time of LCD, our eyes cause the blurring as we track them across a series of static images shown one after the other. 120Hz LCD TVs help avoid this as they create intermediate images so each image is displayed for less time, sort of a shutter speed in reverse.

If the freeze is blurry then either the shutter speed was too slow to freeze the action or the compression system isn't coping, or a combination of both. Also note with H264 when it can't cope with a busy scene it doesn't go blocky like MPEG2, it goes blurry instead as it has deblocking algorithms to smudge out the edges of the blocks.

Hope that helps.

Regards

PHil

Phil,

Thanks for the suggestions. As I had already mentioned, i suspected shutter speed was at play but i have found it a bit difficult in various lighting conditions to find the right shutter speed setting that eliminates the slight blurring while panning, without introducing noticeable strobing. If i had to pick between the two of them, i'll take the blurring since it's not nearly as jarring or distracting in comparison.
post #102 of 747 Old 06-06-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuumes5 View Post

You have a point there.

Anyway, I think i found the answer on youtube.

Crazy fellow running around bashing his DSLR lens just to prove that a filter actually protects it.

Opps. Can't post the link.

You can search in youtube using these keywords :

UV Filter vs No UV Filter - DigitalRev TV Test

Here's a sample using the Hoya MLC UV Filter I got off ebay.
I don't see any difference in video quality.
Probably good for Len protection.

post #103 of 747 Old 06-06-2012, 09:30 AM

Night scene in full auto mode.

post #104 of 747 Old 06-06-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 519
It could also be due to the dreaded CMOS "jello" rolling shutter artifact. Whip any modern digital video camera around and you'll get this choppy and "wiggly" look... even to some degree on the uber expensive RED and Alexa cameras! Manufacturers are trying to lessen or eliminate the "jello" look in upcoming sensors and mechanical shutter add-on's.

Currently, you want to lessen zooming while recording (the best style choice is not to do it at all anyway... move the camera instead) and slow down your tilts and pans to lessen the effect.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #105 of 747 Old 06-10-2012, 06:52 PM

Long time lurker, i bought a v700 and bought one seperate wasabi battery replacement vbk360 from a seller on eBay as I only needed one, anyways he has put another one up I thought I'd share it. [=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Wasabi-Power-Battery-for-Panasonic-VW-VBK360-4000MAH-Long-Lasting-/280892247248?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item41667b8cd0][/]
post #106 of 747 Old 06-10-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazztalker View Post

I'm going to bring this question back up now that maybe a few more people have this thing. The case I have, while good for the camera, extra batteries and memory card and maybe a filter, won't hold the cables/chargers that I need if I want to keep everything together.

Suggestions?

Check out the Pelican cases. Also, B & H has some hard cases.
post #107 of 747 Old 06-13-2012, 10:56 AM

Liked: 13
Hi,
new here...looking to replace my sony hdc40 dv, with a 700 OR 700M.

The M or no M is my final decision....what do most guys get?
It sounds like byoverpaying for 16g of memory you can convert the download, making it easier to use Imovie and some app,e stuff.

I have an ipad2 but havent used Imovie.
I have usedsony vegas movie studio 6.0, ( really old version) and like it.....but with the wife about to get an iphone I was wondering if the "M" is the better choice...even thoughit is $50 more.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Dave
post #108 of 747 Old 06-14-2012, 12:17 PM

Liked: 13
There is a rebate expiring in a few days...so I went for it. I have never spent so much for a camera! I got the wasabi spare batteries, and a 32gb 10 class excel card or something.
All these extras added almost another $100 :-( I got a ultraviolet lens filter solely for lens protection.

Great resource!

PS I got the 700M :-)
post #109 of 747 Old 06-14-2012, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvc700mbuyer View Post

There is a rebate expiring in a few days...so I went for it. I have never spent so much for a camera! I got the wasabi spare batteries, and a 32gb 10 class excel card or something.
All these extras added almost another $100 :-( I got a ultraviolet lens filter solely for lens protection.
Great resource!
PS I got the 700M :-)

Good choice, that extra 16 GB is nothing to shake a stick at wink.gif

Enjoy your new camera!
post #110 of 747 Old 06-17-2012, 04:18 AM

i have bought weed v700 2 weeks ago and i am ver happy with it. Last week i went to tenerife with my wife and shoot many clips with 1080p. When i came home i used makemkv to make mkv files that i would play on my wd plaeyer or samsung smart tv. unfortunatelly samsung wont play them. i did a small test with 1080i and smart tv plays those without any problems. now i am leaning towards using 1080i all the time.

can someone tell me what really i would gain by using 1080p as i really can not spot almost any difference between 1080p and 1080i movies?
post #111 of 747 Old 06-17-2012, 08:07 PM

Hi there,

I am looking at purchasing the V700 camcorder. My old Canon SD camcorder is dead.

Question: can this camcorder record from an AV source? e.g. does it have an input jack so I can play my VHS tapes from a video player and have it connected to the V700 via RCA leads?

I think from the manual, that it can't?

If not, is there a way I can use this camcorder to record from VHS player?

Thanks,
Andrew
post #112 of 747 Old 06-18-2012, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladojko View Post

...can someone tell me what really i would gain by using 1080p as i really can not spot almost any difference between 1080p and 1080i movies?

Hi vlad - welcome to the forum. Here is the best explanation of the difference between interlaced and progressive that I have seen: http://www.axis.com/products/video/camera/progressive_scan.htm

For images with a lot of motion, the difference is clear. For vacation and home video, it shouldn't make that much difference.

That said, your TV should display your 1080/60p video just fine if you connect it directly to the camera with an HDMI cable.

Good luck!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #113 of 747 Old 06-18-2012, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudicher View Post

Hi there,
I am looking at purchasing the V700 camcorder. My old Canon SD camcorder is dead.
Question: can this camcorder record from an AV source? e.g. does it have an input jack so I can play my VHS tapes from a video player and have it connected to the V700 via RCA leads?
I think from the manual, that it can't?
If not, is there a way I can use this camcorder to record from VHS player?
Thanks,
Andrew

Hi Andrew - welcome to the forum! Sadly, most modern consumer camcorders have pretty much done away with A/V inputs. The only input on the HC-V700 is a 3.5mm jack for the external mic.

That said, there are fairly inexpensive analog to digital converters that will do the job:

For Windows, there's the $24 EZCap Video Capture Device

For Mac, there's the $83 Elgato Video Capture Device

I would go ahead and get the HC-V700 and either the EZCap or the Elgato, depending on which operating system you have.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #114 of 747 Old 06-18-2012, 11:01 AM

So im in the market for a HD camera, i take it this is a good camcoreder? if i get from amazon i wont have to pay tax right? what else will i need? 32BG memory card enough? what else is needed for this cam? a hood? Thanks for all the help..
post #115 of 747 Old 06-18-2012, 11:09 AM

Hello all,

I purchased a HC-V700 a couple of weeks ago to replace my aging Sony DCR-TRV480. I like the Sony but wanted to step into the digital age. I have a question about the recording limits of the V700. I made one recording that totals aprox. 40 minutes in 1080/60p mode using a SanDisk Ultra SDXC 64GB class 6 card. Instead of one file, I have two. The first file is 4.2GBs and ends at just over the 22 minute mark. The second file contains the remaining 17 minutes. Can someone tell me why the recording was divided into two parts? Is there a 4 gig limit or have I overlooked a setting somewhere?

Thx
post #116 of 747 Old 06-19-2012, 03:05 AM

Thanks Bill,

That's easier and quicker too.
Cheers
Andrew
post #117 of 747 Old 06-19-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-wiz View Post

So im in the market for a HD camera, i take it this is a good camcoreder? if i get from amazon i wont have to pay tax right? what else will i need? 32BG memory card enough? what else is needed for this cam? a hood? Thanks for all the help..

V-wiz - The $449 HC-V700 is a great camcorder at this price point. There will be no sales tax at Amazon in most states (check your totals before you hit the purchase button to make sure).

All you'll need to start shooting is the memory card. I recommend the $41 Komputerbay 64GB SDXC, which will give you over 5 hours of recording time at 1080/60p.

If you plan to do a lot of shooting in bright sunlight, a $3.67 UV filter, a $9 lens hood and a $17 LCD hood might be a good idea - but none of these are absolutely required for you to get started.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #118 of 747 Old 06-19-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eknigmah View Post

Hello all,
I purchased a HC-V700 a couple of weeks ago to replace my aging Sony DCR-TRV480. I like the Sony but wanted to step into the digital age. I have a question about the recording limits of the V700. I made one recording that totals aprox. 40 minutes in 1080/60p mode using a SanDisk Ultra SDXC 64GB class 6 card. Instead of one file, I have two. The first file is 4.2GBs and ends at just over the 22 minute mark. The second file contains the remaining 17 minutes. Can someone tell me why the recording was divided into two parts? Is there a 4 gig limit or have I overlooked a setting somewhere?
Thx

eknigmah - all cameras that record to SD cards have a 4GB File Allocation Table (FAT)32 recording limit - but most (except Canon DSLRs) have what is called "file-spanning" software that allows you to click on the master file and play your clip all the way through.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #119 of 747 Old 06-19-2012, 09:30 AM

Bill you rock, thank you. I dont think i will need the card reader as i already have one i use for my Canon 5DII. Any other recommendations? What are the differences in the SDXC and SDHC etc. Also i will need a class 10 card right? Will i need an extra battery pack?

Thanks again.
post #120 of 747 Old 06-19-2012, 11:26 AM

So i placed an order on the camera and two 32GB Transcend cards, rather have two 32's than one 64GB. I hope my father likes the camera.smile.gif
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page