A question or three about Avid Studio, and Adobe Elements - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-04-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am currently using the trial versions of Adobe Premiere Elements and Avid Studio HD. I have some questions:

1. Concerning Avid, I have burned a couple of AVCHD videos from AVCHD video files that I had from my Sony SR11. On the last AVCHD video I made, I noticed some macroblocking (for lack of a better term) on some of the video shots, but not all. All the video were AVCHD video files shot on the same day with the same camera. These same video files have been used with other NLEs without this problem ever coming up. I really like Avid Studio, but for this unexpected problem. Can anybody help me with this?
2. Also concerning Avid, is there a way to resize the video presentation from 4x3 to 16x9? When I mix older video files in 4x3 with 16x9 newer video files, I would like to have the entire presentation in 16x9.
3. And lastly with Avid. I noticed yesterday that Avid refuses to download AVCHD video files that are mpg. How can I change these files to any other format? Or is there a way I can get Avid to use these files?

4. Concerning Adobe, the opening menu shot does not seem to want to advance forward to the main menu very easily. When I press play or OK on the controller, it just cycles back to the opening menu. I have to hit the return button and then the play button to reach the main menu. Is there a fix for this?

5. Lastly, again with Adobe Elements, I noticed that the sound quality/volume was not as good as that produced by other NLEs when producing AVCHD programs/DVDs. Is this just because of the fact that I am using a trial version, or is this the way it will be with the regular package?

I appreciate any help that anyone can offer. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-04-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railfan View Post

...... Lastly, again with Adobe Elements, I noticed that the sound quality/volume was not as good as that produced by other NLEs when producing AVCHD programs/DVDs. Is this just because of the fact that I am using a trial version, or is this the way it will be with the regular package?......

Almost everything I can imagine about audio is adjustable in PE. Look for the tiny speaker icon in the bar above the Sceneline/Timeline. Clicking it drops a menu with "Audio Mix". You can read more about PE audio control here: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiere...C1D66DE0B.html

Some reading on disk menus that may help is here: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiere...355c-7e1d.html

Other than audio and DVD menus, what do think of PE?

Bill
post #3 of 5 Old 04-04-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Bill. So far, I like Adobe, but it is hard to really compare it accurately because of the water mark stretching across the picture in the trial version. That distracts me as I try to evaluate the video picture quality. I really dislike that thing. I would almost not consider Adobe because of that. A couple of questions for you:

Is there a way to improve the quality of the sound on a produced AVCHD DVD? When comparing the sound that Adobe produces and the same sounds from the other NLEs, Adobes is somewhat lesser. I am listening to these sounds through my entertainment center (5.1 surround). The Adobe sounds are not quite as full.
OOPs, I just reread your post and noticed that you answered this question.

And, what is an easy way to trim individual video clips on the timeline?

Thanks for your response, Bill. It is always appreciated.

Mike
post #4 of 5 Old 04-04-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railfan View Post

.....And, what is an easy way to trim individual video clips on the timeline?

Mike,

There are several ways to trim clips.

If you want to do it in the timeline and have one or all your clips on the timeline you can split them with the scissor icon in the lower right corner of the monitor window. The scissor will split a clip at the time marker if it is moving or paused. Then highlight the part you want to disappear and press the delete button. Play the result. If you don't like what you see you can reverse your steps with a "control z". In this case it would first undelete the the cut out part. Do it again and the clip will rejoin. Then start over on that clip.

A few days ago I finished a video that documents a motorhome repair procedure. The mechanic spent close to two hours doing it and I shot the entire thing continuously with a hand held camcorder. I had no control over background noise, the work flow, lighting or anything else. There was no opportunity to retake any shots. Using the technique I described, I was able to get it down to 18 minutes and it will be usable by anyone wanting to do the same repair in our motorhome owners club. In some cases the original clips had to be cut up in pieces as short as three or four seconds. Or as long as 20 seconds. In all, about 80 percent of the original video added nothing to the story and was deleted.

Next will be delivering the information to any one of the 1100 members. PE is going to make DVDs, AVCHDs, emailable files and a YouTube for me.

Bill
post #5 of 5 Old 04-05-2012, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Bill.
Sounds like quite the project. I love producing things for other people; especially those things that people want and can use. Not to mention the compliments one gets.

Mike

What. Noone out there uses nor has any experience with Avid?
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page