AVS Forum banner

BlackMagic Cinema Camera - 2.5K res, 12-bit RAW video camera for $3K!

10K views 61 replies 13 participants last post by  MTyson 
#1 ·
#55 ·
#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson /forum/post/21939166

...I believe it takes a regular 3.5mm jack, but could be wrong. Most likely I'll record the important audio to a Zoom H4N...

M - it takes two pro 1/4" balanced mic or line jacks and records 24 bit 48kHz audio. It's easy enough to go from XLR to 1/4", and the bit rate is good enough for pro audio work, but the lack of phantom power is a problem.

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

#60 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunerww /forum/post/21966262

M - it takes two pro 1/4" balanced mic or line jacks and records 24 bit 48kHz audio. It's easy enough to go from XLR to 1/4", and the bit rate is good enough for pro audio work, but the lack of phantom power is a problem.

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Is there no phantom power adapter or anything that can be used in conjunction with the camera?

What about one of these? Still a problem?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FG795I/...hvptwo=&hvqmt=

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sterling...&cagpspn=pla&=

BTW, are you still getting the FS700 (read your blog. hehe) or are you getting both this and the FS700. I'd love to have the FS700 as well. Super Slow-Mo would be great, but I think the 4K Upgrade later on will cost at least $4,000 and who knows how much the 4K recorder will be. Dynamic range is a big ? mark as well. I also think the low light will take a bit of a hit from the F100U due to the smaller pixels, but we shall see.

I sure wouldn't mind having just the previous FS100U in addition to the BMC for wider or low light shots. It's crazy when you think about it like this, you can get both the BMC and the FS100U for about $8,000 or less (still possiblly $2,000 less than the FS700), shoot 13 stops, 12-bit 2.5k RAW when needed or shoot good 60p slow-mo (maybe even twixtor it for that high frame rate super slo-mo), shoot great low light when needed & go wide when required for possibly a couple grand less than the FS700 (not to mention color grade with $1,000 DaVinci Resolve 9.0 for free).
I was pumped about the FS700 at first, but thinking of it like this I don't think a bit more super slow mo with potential to record 4K for who knows how much more money is worth that much more. By then Black Magic may release their $4k camera for $5,000 without needing a pricey firmware upgrade. lol.

#61 ·
New BlackMagic Design Stills!!! Original Plus Grades. ProRes Stills, not shot in RAW mode. As you can see, this camera is well deserving of the "Baby Alexa" title. Even in ProRes 422 the Dynamic Range, Grade ability and quality are simply outstanding for a camera near this price. Click to see full 1080p resolution and detail. And of course my grades are from the 8-bit Jpeg of the first image since I did not have access to the original ProRes files.

ORIGINAL ProRes Stills By DP John Brawley:

Annelie Chapple Colorist Grade:

My Grades....first one without skin softening. Next one with.

Next Original by John Brawley (and anyone with a DSLR knows what a nightmare lighting situation this is):

Annelie Chapple Colorist Grade:

My Grade (went for an exposure boost):

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.