--GoPro Hero2 Dachshund Kayak Vid-- - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-17-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just picked up one of these little bad boys. I have to admit, the video quality has definitely surprised me. I also like the feature that I can output via hdmi right to my television. So far 720/60 has been working best for the type of things I will primarily be using the camcorder for, but for this I probably should have used 1080/30.

Here's a short video of my dachshund on our fishing trip to a local lake. Put all this together to try and get a handle on Premiere Pro.

Thanks

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer 4280HD
Pioneer VSX-1021K
PS3 Slim

My setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-17-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I like the video. Dog lovers everywhere will like it. I've forwarded links to a few already! Seems like mixing the audio with some occasional exited dog barks would add to it.

I tried to do something similar with my wife's fuzzy dachshund. I tried to capture the sounds and sights as if I was walking with the dog at his level. I did it by making a bracket to hold the camera right side up on an upside down monopod. I shot it in HD and directly uploaded. Somehow the YouTube processing clouded it up some. I need to study that a little better!

I've become a Premier Elements junkie and am considering Pro. At my skill level and goals, it may be that Elements is better suited. How much computer do you have and are you liking how Pro runs on it?

Also you said you were trying to 'get a handle' on Pro. Have you looked at the training videos on lynda.com? http://www.lynda.com/Video-training-tutorials/78-0.html

Bill
post #3 of 13 Old 04-17-2012, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

Audio is tough with the GoPro's, on top of that I was using the water tight housing. You really only hear things banging up against the housing, everything else is muffled. That's why I added the music, you may find that most gopro videos simply cut the audio out and replace it with a soundtrack as well.

I also had a tough time getting youtube to not utterly butcher my videos. Generally my picture quality took a nose dive, but I think I've found a safe bitrate where youtube doesn't have to do a whole lot of compression.

My only other real experience with video editing has been in iMovie. Premiere Pro is a bit more challenging at first, but I don't think it will be as limiting in the long run. I have the Adobe Master Collection CS5, I still need to play with After Effects, that should be fun. Currently my pc has an i5 2500k, 8g of ram, evga 560ti superclocked, and an ASRock p67 Extreme. Seems to run well, render times are pretty quick.

For now I've mostly been searching youtube videos for whatever tips I needed at the time, learned a lot from very basic video tutorials haha. Thanks for the link, I'll be checking those out.

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer 4280HD
Pioneer VSX-1021K
PS3 Slim

My setup
post #4 of 13 Old 04-18-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

A GoPro is on my wish list. I didn't know the audio was limited. Thanks for the explanation. The Zoom H1 and Zoom H2 seem to be favored as audio recorders where improved or additional audio can be used in editing.

My YouTube improved when I started uploading files rendered from Premier Elements. I don't use the automatic upload feature. Instead I use the function that makes a file to YouTube specifications, then send it with the YouTube uploader. For the Fuzzy Dog Walk I edited it in software that came with the camera that preserves the orginal file structure and quality. Obviously that get lost on YouTube. I should do it over and see if it improves.

A little over a year ago I decided to learn video. To learn the editing part I randomly tried everything from books to web surfing, including help at Adobe. I played with 5 different editors looking for "the best". I avoided Premier Pro due to price and Premier Elements because it would not preserve the cherished 1080p60 quality. For nearly the entire first year my progress was slow. I was going in random circles. Among the video training files at Adobe there were lynda.com samples. When I finally signed up for a $25 month, I started to get it. In a week I learned more than in the previous year. I guess learning works better when it's organized.

I'm tempted to try Premier Pro, but not because I think it will work better. The feature set in Elements blows me away. I've looked at lists comparing capabilities of the two and what stands out the most is the availability of (extra cost) third party plug ins for Pro. I'm not sure how much of that I would use. So my main interest is to see what I would learn as a brain exercise -- like going to a brain gym!

For now I'm going to stay focused on mastering Elements. I need to work on audio control. Elements can handle as many tracks as I can feed it. Each track has independent volume controls and filters can be applied. I want to try shooting something with two cameras. One would be primary for audio and the other would provide clips to make the video more interesting.

Bill
post #5 of 13 Old 04-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw11 View Post

Just picked up one of these little bad boys. I have to admit, the video quality has definitely surprised me. I also like the feature that I can output via hdmi right to my television. So far 720/60 has been working best for the type of things I will primarily be using the camcorder for, but for this I probably should have used 1080/30.

Here's a short video of my dachshund on our fishing trip to a local lake. Put all this together to try and get a handle on Premiere Pro.

Thanks

Cool vid, love my gopro2 also,where in MA did you take the video.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-18-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gso125 View Post

Cool vid, love my gopro2 also,where in MA did you take the video.

I think it was Athol. Try checking the video, I think I geo tagged it, not sure, but I will check when I get home.

Edit: Yeah it was in Athol, basically just take 202 all the way up.

r/
Rob

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer 4280HD
Pioneer VSX-1021K
PS3 Slim

My setup
post #7 of 13 Old 04-18-2012, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

A GoPro is on my wish list. I didn't know the audio was limited. Thanks for the explanation. The Zoom H1 and Zoom H2 seem to be favored as audio recorders where improved or additional audio can be used in editing.

My YouTube improved when I started uploading files rendered from Premier Elements. I don't use the automatic upload feature. Instead I use the function that makes a file to YouTube specifications, then send it with the YouTube uploader. For the Fuzzy Dog Walk I edited it in software that came with the camera that preserves the orginal file structure and quality. Obviously that get lost on YouTube. I should do it over and see if it improves.

A little over a year ago I decided to learn video. To learn the editing part I randomly tried everything from books to web surfing, including help at Adobe. I played with 5 different editors looking for "the best". I avoided Premier Pro due to price and Premier Elements because it would not preserve the cherished 1080p60 quality. For nearly the entire first year my progress was slow. I was going in random circles. Among the video training files at Adobe there were lynda.com samples. When I finally signed up for a $25 month, I started to get it. In a week I learned more than in the previous year. I guess learning works better when it's organized.

I'm tempted to try Premier Pro, but not because I think it will work better. The feature set in Elements blows me away. I've looked at lists comparing capabilities of the two and what stands out the most is the availability of (extra cost) third party plug ins for Pro. I'm not sure how much of that I would use. So my main interest is to see what I would learn as a brain exercise -- like going to a brain gym!

For now I'm going to stay focused on mastering Elements. I need to work on audio control. Elements can handle as many tracks as I can feed it. Each track has independent volume controls and filters can be applied. I want to try shooting something with two cameras. One would be primary for audio and the other would provide clips to make the video more interesting.

Bill

Regarding go pro audio, with the water proof housing audio is a bit muffled, not terrible. With the skeleton door audio is improved a bit, but still has that slight muffled sound. Fortunately with the HD Hero2 if you're in search of better audio, you can hook up an external mic. On the video side it has a mini hdmi output which has proven to be quite useful.

When I get a chance to grab my buddies GoPros, I can line all three up and give you a sample vid of the camera naked, skeleton, and sealed housings for audio. Might be helpful.

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer 4280HD
Pioneer VSX-1021K
PS3 Slim

My setup
post #8 of 13 Old 04-20-2012, 03:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think it was Athol. Try checking the video, I think I geo tagged it, not sure, but I will check when I get home.

Edit: Yeah it was in Athol, basically just take 202 all the way up.

r/
Rob

I live next 2 a few reservoirs and it looked like one but it's not. Never been to that one in Athol may be someday.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-20-2012, 03:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Regarding go pro audio, with the water proof housing audio is a bit muffled, not terrible. With the skeleton door audio is improved a bit, but still has that slight muffled sound. Fortunately with the HD Hero2 if you're in search of better audio, you can hook up an external mic. On the video side it has a mini hdmi output which has proven to be quite useful.

I just started to use my Tascam ds-40 external audio recorder when shooting with the gopro and my other cameras. I never hooked up my mic on the camera yet.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-20-2012, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gso125 View Post

I just started to use my Tascam ds-40 external audio recorder when shooting with the gopro and my other cameras. I never hooked up my mic on the camera yet.

Post back here if you ever do. I'm curious if I should buy a cheap external mic for the go pro, get some better audio when mountain biking.

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer 4280HD
Pioneer VSX-1021K
PS3 Slim

My setup
post #11 of 13 Old 04-20-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Btw, there should really be a separate thread just so people can post their gopro videos and discuss gopro's. I think that would be pretty cool.

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer 4280HD
Pioneer VSX-1021K
PS3 Slim

My setup
post #12 of 13 Old 04-20-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Btw, there should really be a separate thread just so people can post their gopro videos and discuss gopro's. I think that would be pretty cool.

You own one, so start a thread titled "Official GoPro Owner's Thread".
post #13 of 13 Old 04-20-2012, 09:20 AM

Great video! The GoPro lineup really does do quite a great job with recording things like this. The video quality is quite phenomenal with everything i have used it for. Some buddies and i have used them quite a bit while snowboarding in Utah and have been extremely happy with them. Yes, the audio isn't usually all that great but we aren't picky with that since we just want footage of everything we do and then cut the audio to add music tracks over it.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page