Just purchased an SD Card - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 04-18-2012, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
newmusic12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I just purchased an SDXC card for my brand new Canon Vixia HF M500.

The card that I purchased is the 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SDSDXPA-064G-A75

Is this a good match for my camcorder, if I plan on using it for Full HD 1080?
newmusic12 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 04-18-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bsprague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 3,016
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmusic12 View Post

Hello, I just purchased an SDXC card for my brand new Canon Vixia HF M500.

The card that I purchased is the 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SDSDXPA-064G-A75

Is this a good match for my camcorder, if I plan on using it for Full HD 1080?

Not really.

First, 64 GB is enough for over 5 hours of continuous recording at 1080p60. Nobody could watch a video that long.

Second, you got a version of SD card that is intended for equipment that has far greater demands than you camera. Look it up on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card

The summary of Wikipedia's article is that SD and SDHC cards have speed rating of 4, 6 and 10. On the cards it is printed inside of a "C" shaped symbol. Your manual will say that those cards are recommended. The SDXC card you bought has a UHS speed rating of 1. On the card it will be printed inside a "U" shaped symbol.

Third, if you read SD card part of your instruction manual and the Wikipedia article, you will see that your card might have compatibility issues in other equipment. Examples might be your computer or Blu-Ray player that has a card slot.

Using Amazon as a source, the 64 GB cards in the Class 10 rating are running about $60 and yours they have priced at $160. You kissed off $100.

You can test SD cards with a utility from Germany that operates in both German and English. It is called "H2testw". You will find it if you google it. It tests SD cards for errors and computes a writing and a reading speed. I used it to test a Transcend 32 GB Class 10 SDHC. And found it recoded at 15.4 MBps, giving me a 50% bonus over the 10 MBps guarantee.

According to my manual, my camera in 1080p60, produces data at the rate of about 28 Mbps. That converts to about 3.5 MBps. Yours will be about the same. (Bits and bytes can be confusing.) So my card, according to the test, will accept data about 4 times faster than my camera can make it. Note that a Class 4, with a guarantee of 4.0MBps will also work just like the manual says.

The card you bought is supposed to record at around 90 MBps. That’s about 25 times more than your camera can do!

You might wonder why Canon put in an SDXC capable slot. Not for speed. The SDXC spec allows for development of up to 2TB cards. If my math is right it means you could record almost 200 hours of 1080p! Since you can't buy more than 64GB SDXC cards now, any SDHC card makes more sense.

If you haven't broken the packaging, try to get your money back. Get a $30 32GB card. I could only fill mine half way on a two week trip to Europe.

Bill
bsprague is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 04-18-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Troy LaMont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 1,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hey Newmusic12,

You'll always have 2 sides of the coin here and any other forum. Personally I think Bill's post is rather dramtically negative if I may express myself.

I personally would have done the same as you if given the circumstances. It makes more sense to buy a compatible accessory for your device that 'exceeds' the standard spec. It gives you a good comfort zone that you should have no worries about performance issues.

That's like saying "Oh, I'll get the V6 engine instead of the V8, because the V8 over performs in a car!"

Also, there's nothing wrong with having too much storage space!! You'd be surprised at how fast you can fill it when it comes to it and just because some people don't record a lot on trips or daily, doesn't mean you won't. Personally I think for myself 64 Gb is the mid range as I try to capture as much life as I can. Just imagine if you have the opportunity to actually use your camera for something really purposeful (concert, show, play, other event) then you can go in knowing you have that comfort zone of extra space for whatever situation arises. Most people who shoot pro, semi-pro or make money from shooting will always tell you the more storge the better! They usually pack upwards of 250Gb or more of cards or hard drives, just in case! Sony offers a HDD clip on storage unit for their cam and I've heard many stories about people filling those up with full HD clips.

The camera I'm looking at has 96Gb built in, I'm sure I can fill that a few times a year if it came down to it! Again too much is never enough when it comes to storage.

I think you made a great choice, you had the means to purchase a higher end card and it has more than enough capability to do what you need it to do without worrying, that's always a plus in my book.

Happy recording.

Troy

Now that's how you supposed to drive!

Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X

Troy LaMont is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 04-18-2012, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
newmusic12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy LaMont View Post

Hey Newmusic12,

You'll always have 2 sides of the coin here and any other forum. Personally I think Bill's post is rather dramtically negative if I may express myself.

I personally would have done the same as you if given the circumstances. It makes more sense to buy a compatible accessory for your device that 'exceeds' the standard spec. It gives you a good comfort zone that you should have no worries about performance issues.

That's like saying "Oh, I'll get the V6 engine instead of the V8, because the V8 over performs in a car!"

Also, there's nothing wrong with having too much storage space!! You'd be surprised at how fast you can fill it when it comes to it and just because some people don't record a lot on trips or daily, doesn't mean you won't. Personally I think for myself 64 Gb is the mid range as I try to capture as much life as I can. Just imagine if you have the opportunity to actually use your camera for something really purposeful (concert, show, play, other event) then you can go in knowing you have that comfort zone of extra space for whatever situation arises. Most people who shoot pro, semi-pro or make money from shooting will always tell you the more storge the better! They usually pack upwards of 250Gb or more of cards or hard drives, just in case! Sony offers a HDD clip on storage unit for their cam and I've heard many stories about people filling those up with full HD clips.

The camera I'm looking at has 96Gb built in, I'm sure I can fill that a few times a year if it came down to it! Again too much is never enough when it comes to storage.

I think you made a great choice, you had the means to purchase a higher end card and it has more than enough capability to do what you need it to do without worrying, that's always a plus in my book.

Happy recording.

Troy

Thank you that really does help and when Bill mentioned that no one would watch over 5 hours of recording, I do skateboarding and ghost hunting videos. Which are hours of recording on end (even up to 12 hour nights at locations), then editing after - so you really need a top notch card with enough space...I almost bought the 128gb, but after checking it out, the better purchase for me was the 64GB. Thank you for the clarification.
newmusic12 is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 04-18-2012, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
newmusic12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Since you can't buy more than 64GB SDXC cards now, any SDHC card makes more sense.
Bill

They do make the Sandisk 128GB Extreme Pro SDXC Card, are you saying they didn't make 64GB in general or it just wouldn't work on my model?
newmusic12 is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 04-19-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bsprague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 3,016
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmusic12 View Post

They do make the Sandisk 128GB Extreme Pro SDXC Card, are you saying they didn't make 64GB in general or it just wouldn't work on my model?

My mistake. The last time I looked, they were not offered. The way I read the manual for your camera, it will work fine.

Bill
bsprague is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 04-19-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bsprague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 3,016
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy LaMont View Post

... Personally I think Bill's post is rather dramtically negative if I may express myself....

My apology Troy. Trouble with forums and emails is that they leave out the the normally friendly non verbal expressions seen in face to face conversations.

I thought I was trying to show him that he could save $100 because his camcorder can't record faster than about 3.5 MBps.

Forgive me if it came across as rude. That was not intended.

Bill
bsprague is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 04-19-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Troy LaMont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 1,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
No apologies necessary sir,

Self expression, that's what it's all about.

It just read like the guy made the biggest mistake ever in getting that card! LOL :-)

No worries, live long and prosper.

Now that's how you supposed to drive!

Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X

Troy LaMont is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 04-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Senior Member
 
STR3T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I gotta agree in principal w/ bsprague's answer to the poster's question.

In essence, was a $160 SDXC card a "good match" for his camera.

$100 savings on a Class 10 SDHC card, which still offers overhead for his camera, is nothing to sneeze at for most folks. He could double his usable space with that money.

I've not seen any evidence that SDXC are longer lasting or less prone to failure than SDHC. I am curious to hear back from users of SDXC on that front.

But yeah, until SDXC pricing comes in a lot more in-line with SDHC, I'm not sure I see the benefit of going there with camera's that are not pushing the overhead available on Class 10's?

I'd guess the 64GB SanDisk SDSDU-064G-U46 at 30MB/s for ~$64 would be a better fit or bang/buck.
STR3T is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 04-20-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Troy LaMont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 1,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Really guys?

I'm going to buy a Ferrari and I live in a condo, would you tell me that I could get more bang for the buck if I bought a Nissan Maxima??

If money was the issue I'm sure he wouldn't have gotten the card he did, so the money discussions are moot.

Strictly from a compatibility and usage issue the card is more than capable and will serve him for the life of the camera I'm quite sure, that's the main take away point, not how he spends his money. Will this card work for his camera for all things technical now and in the future: Yes.

Given that nature of his shooting also, I think the Extreme rating coupled with the sustained data rates of his UHS-I card, is an excellent choice.

Just for sharing purposes, I'm around a lot of Hollywood productions and people involved with the industry, when they use equipment that calls for flash media, they typically get the high end Extreme Cards with the max capacity possible because of the throughput, Extreme ratings and storage capacity. I know their budgets can afford the cards, but they rely on those factors so that the last thing they have to worry about is the storage media. If they pros are using them, you're in good company.

Now that's how you supposed to drive!

Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X

Troy LaMont is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 04-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Senior Member
 
STR3T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I wouldn't equate the TM900 as the Ferrari of digital video cams at $700. More like an Audi A4.

If the production company was footing the bill, sure, I'd be happy to wave in the 128GB SDXC...in fact, make the four please.

The overhead is simply severly ahead of what he needs as a match for the camera....and he's paying for that surplus overhead so that he might be covered for a future camera purpose? Really? :P
STR3T is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 03-23-2013, 08:49 PM
Newbie
 
gadiNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FYI, the Vixia HF M500 records at 24Mbps, when in the highest mode,
so you need a fast card.
gadiNYC is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 03-23-2013, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
xfws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadiNYC View Post

FYI, the Vixia HF M500 records at 24Mbps, when in the highest mode,
so you need a fast card.
Class 4 or higher SDHC card for the HF M500.. won't make any better video if it were a class 10.
xfws is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 03-24-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bsprague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 3,016
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadiNYC View Post

FYI, the Vixia HF M500 records at 24Mbps, when in the highest mode,
so you need a fast card.
Welcome to the forum!

Frequently MBps and Mbps are confused. If you do the maths to convert bits to bytes, you'll find a Class 10 card will accept data about three times faster than AVCHD camcorders can produce it.
bsprague is offline  
Reply Camcorders

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off