Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-20-2012, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey fellow AVSers,

Whatever you do, do NOT sell a new or used camcorder, (or any expensive item) on amazon!

I just sold my big nx5u camcorder that I do all my freelance shooting with (in order to upgrade) for $3600 on amazon last month, they took their nice $280 cut, then they initiated their "account review" and told me they would hold my funds until the 30 day review was over. Even though i've sold for a couple of years and never had a return or a negative feedback.

Apparently if you only sell small stuff, this doesn't usually happen but if you get a lot of returns or pass about the $800 mark, they automatically do this. Three days before the review was up, they "suspended" my account and told me it would be an additional 15 days.

I emailed them, spoke on the phone, sent links to my Ebay page (where i have over 130 sales and perfect 100% positive feedback) my tracking number info, (buyer received the camera three and a 1/2 weeks ago and I have proof) all useless. I have googled this and it seems they do this to almost everyone at some point. They can then close your seller account and keep your money for 90 days, (in case the buyer decides he is unhappy with the item, he actually gets 90 days) and then if wants a refund, they will give him one and he doesn't even have to send the camera back!! There are some horror stories.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/internet...-blo-7c286.htm

Lots of people here

http://amazonstolemymoney.blogspot.c...&by-date=false

This one's funny

So I am out the money best case another few weeks, worse case, 2 more months or absolute WORST case if the buyer wants a refund and doesn't ship it back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-20-2012, 06:58 AM

Liked: 10
Sorry to hear about that. Can you repost the two links - they seem to be broken.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-20-2012, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabatical View Post

Sorry to hear about that. Can you repost the two links - they seem to be broken.

Sorry. Fixed
post #4 of 6 Old 06-19-2012, 12:52 PM

Liked: 11
Hi Dave,

From what my friend tells me, Ebay is just as bad. Like with Amazon, the buyer has too much power and can even get a refund if the product arrives a day late due to the post.

And both companies are like talking to a wall communication wise. Too stressful if you ask me.

The next time you sell something expensive, do what my friend does. He sells it in the local area only as in London. And he insists they come and pick up the item. That way, they see it and if they are satisfied the deal is done and finished for good. The buy as seen principle when it comes to second hand.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-22-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I would like to add to Warren's suggestion to strongly suggest you do not provide your personal address to potential buyers and that you meet at a public place instead to do the transaction.

A couple of years ago, a family living not far away from us learned that lesson in probably the most tragic way: http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2010/04/family_selling_diamond_ring_on.php
post #6 of 6 Old 06-24-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenD View Post

Hi Dave,
From what my friend tells me, Ebay is just as bad.
Yep, Ebay and PayPal just did that to me for a R/C truck ($200), even though I sold a boat for $10,000.00 a month earlier with positive feedback.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page