Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 91 Old 04-24-2012, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

Seriously, they come with AVCHD file extension? Have Panasonic single-handedly updated AVCHD spec? Anyway, could you upload a short (but reasonably long to choke in PD) native clip somewhere? I am just curious what MediaInfo will say and how Vegas will handle it.

Sure - I'll try something tonight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 91 Old 04-24-2012, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Seriously, they come with AVCHD file extension? Have Panasonic single-handedly updated AVCHD spec? Anyway, could you upload a short (but reasonably long to choke in PD) native clip somewhere? I am just curious what MediaInfo will say and how Vegas will handle it.

I have video files from both a Sony and a Panasonic. Windows 7 version of Windows Explorer seems to want to make it easy. The result can cause confusion. At least for me.

Opening a folder with WE the Name" column only shows the part in front of the dot. The 'Type' column says AVCHD Video, which kind of suggests that it is the file extension. Right click on a file and select 'Properties' and the 'General Tab' says "Type of file: AVCHD Video (.m2ts)". Under the 'Details' tab, scroll to the bottom and next to "Name" it will show it as 'file_name.m2ts'. Below that is where it "Item Type: AVCHD Video". MediInfo will show it as 'file_name.m2ts'.

Bill
post #33 of 91 Old 04-24-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobk77 View Post

Sure - I'll try something tonight

Ungermann - Here is the original file:
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=5CEA3...9EA03E52%21105 and it is .MTS.
Basically then I try to do multy trim or split the clip - it choks my PC and even just to trim the ends takes forever.
I could relatively eazy trim even longer clips from TM700.
I wonder if other than PD editor works better.
post #34 of 91 Old 04-24-2012, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...I wonder if other than PD editor works better.

I have recently been falling in love with Adobe Premier Elements 10. It costs about $80 and I can't find anything it won't do. I keep discovering things I couldn't imagine were doable on an ordinary PC. And, there is amazing video training available at lynda.com and vido2brain. I am a committed 'fanboy'.

Bill
post #35 of 91 Old 04-24-2012, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Ungermann - Here is the original file:
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=5CEA3...9EA03E52%21105 and it is .MTS.
Basically then I try to do multy trim or split the clip - it choks my PC and even just to trim the ends takes forever.
I could relatively eazy trim even longer clips from TM700.
I wonder if other than PD editor works better.

Vegas has absolutely no problems with this file. I suggest downloading Vegas trial and trying for yourself. I like it, it is very flexible in regards to frame rate and size.

Also, Mirillis will soon release an update to Splash ProEX player that will be able to trim/join AVCHD and save them without re-encoding. Splash ProEX costs $25 and IMHO is worth its money even "just" a player. AVCHD editing update will be free for 1.12 users.
post #36 of 91 Old 04-25-2012, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Click the accessories tab at: shop.panasonic.com

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMW-LT55 thats expensive for you,glad i got mine anyway,regarding mpeg4 i tried it and its a pain to edit for me and resolution wise on direct playback its no more.

Edit i forgot to say there is loads of FZ150 info and stills shown on http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1033 here,its mainly a stills site though.
post #37 of 91 Old 04-25-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:

Vegas has absolutely no problems with this file. I suggest downloading Vegas trial and trying for yourself. I like it, it is very flexible in regards to frame rate and size.

Also, Mirillis will soon release an update to Splash ProEX player that will be able to trim/join AVCHD and save them without re-encoding. Splash ProEX costs $25 and IMHO is worth its money even "just" a player. AVCHD editing update will be free for 1.12 users.

Thanks - I'll try Vegas. Does it renders 1080 60p?
post #38 of 91 Old 04-25-2012, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not sure why Adobe's consumer NLE software, Premier Elements 10, is not more highly regarded and popular on this forum. Premier Pro and CS6 seem to be growing their impact on the video world. It might be that Elements includes some stuff for making overly cute and instant videos of things like kid's birthday parties. Yet it is loaded with serious tools. Scan the section on effects: PE 10 Effects Reference. There is everything from color correction to image stabilization. To better understand it, I printed that section. It took 32 pages!

Other important parts are that it can be installed in a 64 bit system. In the box is BOTH Mac and PC versions. It seems to accept media from anything and it outputs with presets for everything from Blu-Ray to YouTube.

So, what am I missing? Why is Vegas such a favorite?

Bill
post #39 of 91 Old 04-25-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunerww View Post

Sure - that's the only reason I qualify

A couple days ago I suggested to DW that she needed a new camera. I figured she would see through it and understand my motivation for a new toy I could use. This morning she got serious and told me to sit. She explained her shots of the gorgeous granddaughter at a recital needed some serious zoom. Not only that, but her shots of the recent trip to Europe were "flat" and "fuzzy" because she "wiggled" too much.

So, we went to Best Buy, Target and Costco. Nothing but Canons and Nikons. She wants to "feel" it.

And, she said out loud she wants a new camera for her 64th birthday next month.

Her research turns up the Sony HX100V, the Sony HX200V and the Nikon P510.

I would give her the FZ-150 if B&H had them. (I avoid 9.5% sales tax with them). Amazon has them, but the damn tax gets in the way.

I'm close. Can you think of anything that will close the deal and get her to agree that she should have a FZ-150 over all other choices?

Bill
post #40 of 91 Old 04-25-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, it does.
post #41 of 91 Old 04-25-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, what am I missing? Why is Vegas such a favorite?

I might try finding this out if Premiere had a trial version.
post #42 of 91 Old 04-26-2012, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A couple days ago I suggested to DW that she needed a new camera. I figured she would see through it and understand my motivation for a new toy I could use. This morning she got serious and told me to sit. She explained her shots of the gorgeous granddaughter at a recital needed some serious zoom. Not only that, but her shots of the recent trip to Europe were "flat" and "fuzzy" because she "wiggled" too much.

So, we went to Best Buy, Target and Costco. Nothing but Canons and Nikons. She wants to "feel" it.

I would give her the FZ-150 if B&H had them. (I avoid 9.5% sales tax with them). Amazon has them, but the damn tax gets in the way.

I'm close. Can you think of anything that will close the deal and get her to agree that she should have a FZ-150 over all other choices?

Bill

Get her to have a long study through that forum i gave,not only FZ150 i know but but a lot of happy owners there.
post #43 of 91 Old 04-26-2012, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Bill

Bill - My wife is very particular when it comes to cameras. Her cameras have to produce great pictures and "just work" (she comes from Nikon). She is very happy with the FZ150.

If your wife cares about reviews and ratings:

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...era-Review.htm

http://www.2cameraguys.com/best-supe...s-2012-feb.htm

According to shopping.google.com, they are in stock right now sales tax-free from 42nd St. Photo for $460. I've dealt with them, and they are reputable: http://www.42photo.com/pd-productid-...tal_camera.htm

Good luck!

Bill
post #44 of 91 Old 04-26-2012, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good luck!

DW gets a surprise on Friday. I pushed the get it Friday button on Amazon seconds ago.

42nd was cheaper, but would charge enough for 2 day freight that the price was a match.

It may be difficult to keep my hands off it! Maybe I'll have to limit myself to reading about it here: DMC-FZ150 Advanced Owner's Manual or DMC-FZ150 Basic Owner's Manual
post #45 of 91 Old 04-26-2012, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I might try finding this out if Premiere had a trial version.

Premier Elements 10 Free Trial

If final rendering in 1080p is a deal breaker, don't try it. As near as I can tell, there is no preset for that.

Also, the trial version puts watermarks on your stuff. But, the full retail version is only about $80 and you get disks for Mac, and Windows 32 bit and Win 7 64 Bit.

Bill
post #46 of 91 Old 04-27-2012, 11:44 AM

Liked: 10
I am looking for a camcorder to video my grandkids lacrosse, baseball, flag football, etc. I was considering a Panasonic TM900 which costs about $800. From the looks of your videos the FZ150 could be a better choice. Could you compare your TM700 to the FZ150 ... specifically:

1. is there a recording size limit on the fz150?

2. Is the FZ150 as good or better than the tm700 in low light

3. does the fz150 focus as good or better than the tm700 for sports like lacrosse, flag football, etc.?

4. is it just as "easy" to video with the fz150 as the TM700?

Any other general comparison comments?

Thanks!

Quote:

Yahoooo!!!
I will be a regular here I have traded TM700 to FZ150.
Here is a couple of test videos:
Outdoor - https://vimeo.com/37031159
Indoor - https://vimeo.com/37124272

I have FZ150 for a few month already.

post #47 of 91 Old 04-27-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:

is there a recording size limit on the fz150?

For the Uk version, there is a recording limit of 30 mins per video. I think the same applies to the newer stock of the US version as well but i am not sure.

Quote:

is it just as "easy" to video with the fz150 as the TM700?

I dont know abt tm700 since i don't own it but as far as fz150 is concerned , its super easy to shoot videos. there is a dedicated video record button, you can see the recording timer on screen, can switch between the lcd/viewfinder easily, you can zoom in and out seamlessly during the recording and the camera responds very quickly, writes files to the memory card quickly and gets ready for the next video in abt 2 secs.

Quote:

Is the FZ150 as good or better than the tm700 in low light

tm700 would be better for low light, but wait for other members to jump in, they will be able to help you better as they are much more knowledgeable then me
post #48 of 91 Old 04-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Hi delaluz - I have both the TM900 and the FZ150, and the TM900 produces higher quality video images, but not by much, in my view. That said, when I have a choice between the two cameras, I carry the FZ150, because it is easier to use (more manual controls). I will try to answer your questions one-by-one below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaluz View Post

I am looking for a camcorder to video my grandkids lacrosse, baseball, flag football, etc. I was considering a Panasonic TM900 which costs about $800. From the looks of your videos the FZ150 could be a better choice. Could you compare your TM700 to the FZ150 ... specifically:

No limit in the US

Quote:

2. Is the FZ150 as good or better than the tm700 in low light?

I would say that it is just as sensitive as my TM900 in low light, but the TM900's picture quality is better, as noted above.

Quote:

3. does the fz150 focus as good or better than the tm700 for sports like lacrosse, flag football, etc.?

Yes

Quote:

Easier, in my view. The rotary dial on top of the camera is great for mode selection, as is the one touch video button noted by techspark above. With the TM900, if I'm shooting stills and want to shoot video, I have to move a small slider on the top right side of the camera. Not as easy.

I also like the FZ150's flip out GH2-style LCD, which can be used without having it stick out of the left side of the camera. I prefer this to unsupported camcorder LCDs - I also like the FZ150's EVF better than the TM900's.

Quote:

Please see my FZ150/TM900 comparison blog post here: http://hybridcamerarevolution.blogsp...and-fz150.html

If you need near-ultimate small sensor video image quality, a touch screen, a headphone jack, or built-in internal memory, get the TM700/900 (or one of the 2012 models like the XC-V700MK)

If you want something a little smaller, with more manual controls when you want them (instead of menus), RAW still photography and a pop-up flash (instead of the TM900's flash, which is buried inside the lens ring & is unusable with a filter on the lens), get the FZ150 and save some money.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
post #49 of 91 Old 04-27-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The 202 page manual is a .pdf on a disc. That sucks. $500 for a camera becoming known for it's complicated list of features and no book. You have to take a laptop with you in your photo kit? Worse, it's formatted as a booklet. So, if you print it out double sided, one page skip and you're skewered.
post #50 of 91 Old 04-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Bill - I didn't notice - the camera was so much of a GH2 "mini-me" that I just started using it. That's really a bummer, though, for people new to the Panasonic system.

A thought -if you have a smartphone, tablet or e-reader, maybe you can download the manual from Panasonic, instead of lugging a laptop around?

Hope that's helpful,

Bill
post #51 of 91 Old 04-27-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:

2. Is the FZ150 as good or better than the tm700 in low light

Thanks!

1. No limit in US
2. low light TM700 is better if you work with manual settings -FZ150 is better with iA
3. You will have no problems recording lacrosse or hockey. The big differnce
recording hockey if there is a really bad light at the rink "if you can see the puck you can play" type. Video from FZ would be pretty bad -TM700 better.
Here is FZ150 hockey video "normal light" http://vimeo.com/38363665
4. Matter of preference - FZ150 take a little bit time to get use to and video is generally two hands operation for me - TM700 one hand.

They both have pros and cons.
You can make fantastic quality videos with TM if you work with manual settings.
If you prefer iA - FZ wins hads down. I cannot make techical explanation, but
for my eyes FZ video has fewer details, but those details are sharper.

I sold TM and keep FZ
post #52 of 91 Old 04-28-2012, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Its always strange;how opinions vary,i cant compare my FZ150 with the TM range;as i dont use one.
But i would have imagined the sharpness advantage of the TM cams quite noticable;
i find the lack of sharpness the one big downer on mine,i dont need mine for low light work;or anything to be truthful exept wildlife where the 20x lens plus i zoom and my1.7x extender make it great for that work.
Why a laptop is needed while out filming i cant understand;once you know how to use the camera you should know;MF is good and i leave mine on that setting;
but everything else i set manualy,i would prefer to use a camera like this to a tiny camcorder but suspect a camcorder would be better for filming indoor sports etc;So my opinion is its horses for courses ,and what type of filming you do; but
never forget the FZ150 is a realy good stills camera as well.
post #53 of 91 Old 04-28-2012, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

....A thought -if you have a smartphone, tablet or e-reader, maybe you can download the manual from Panasonic, instead of lugging a laptop around?

Hope that's helpful,

Bill

Thanks. I should have thought of that. DW is a Kindle "early adopter". She has the first one and a Fire. She has never put a .pdf on either, but I'm guessing she soon will!

What makes it a good idea is that the FZ150 is intended as DW's travel camera and she always has her Kindle on trips.

She's been shooting with a 6 year old pocket Sony P&S with very little zoom. She didn't like pictures of an Italy trip and couldn't zoom in on the cute granddaughter's grade school chorus solo.

With an upcoming trip through the Panama Canal (with a stop where those Secret Service guys were playing with the working women). It all added up for me to say, "I've been reading about a camera you might like!" And, for the 44th time, I had to find a Birthday present.

Worst that can happen, is she finds it too big and I will have to adopt the FZ150 and it's zoom lens.

Bill
post #54 of 91 Old 04-30-2012, 02:50 PM

Guys, i got a new bag for my fz150, a cheap one but looks durable and feels good in hand, but there's one issue, the camera fits in very tightly when put in with the lens cap, i m worried it this will affect the lens or cause any issue.

Is it ok to keep the camera in the bag without the lens cap on ?

Also, i m struggling with the lens string - cant get it in
post #55 of 91 Old 04-30-2012, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techspark View Post

Guys, i got a new bag for my fz150, a cheap one but looks durable and feels good in hand, but there's one issue, the camera fits in very tightly when put in with the lens cap, i m worried it this will affect the lens or cause any issue.

Is it ok to keep the camera in the bag without the lens cap on ?

Also, i m struggling with the lens string - cant get it in

Screw a 52 mm uv filter on the front. Then nothing will hurt the lens.

My string went in with a pinch of the end and a little wiggling. The short end of the string is stiff and the hole is a curved channel. It should be easy.

My DW found a nice bag at Best Buy the holds the camera with the lens hood on. It is made by Swissgear (like army knife) and the tag says "the Sherpa Large Camera Case". The tag says the camera pocket is 7" L x 3" W x 5" H.
post #56 of 91 Old 04-30-2012, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus View Post

No one comented on my Deer film using the 1.3x i zoom and 1.7x add on lens miserable lot

Your deer video helped convince me that my DW needed this camera. Now she has it. I would like to know more about the Panasonic DMW-LA3 Lens Adapter and Panasonic DMW-LT55 55mm 1.7x Telephoto Conversion Lens. Besides me, she likes birds and animals so I thing she would have fun getting bird pictures. I'm usually close enough she can get a shot of me in wide angle.

Seriously, we will be spending a month as state park volunteer campground host where there are some bald eagles that don't like getting too close.

How does it mount? Does it make pictures two fuzzy? How steady do you have to be? Is a tripod required?

Thanks.

Bill
post #57 of 91 Old 05-01-2012, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your deer video helped convince me that my DW needed this camera. Now she has it. I would like to know more about the Panasonic DMW-LA3 Lens Adapter and Panasonic DMW-LT55 55mm 1.7x Telephoto Conversion Lens. Besides me, she likes birds and animals so I thing she would have fun getting bird pictures. I'm usually close enough she can get a shot of me in wide angle.

Seriously, we will be spending a month as state park volunteer campground host where there are some bald eagles that don't like getting too close.

How does it mount? Does it make pictures two fuzzy? How steady do you have to be? Is a tripod required?

Thanks.

Bill

http://www.fotosense.co.uk/panasonic...s&siteid=73669
the adaptor and 1.7x lens screw together,i leave mine permanently together.
The adaptor simply screws into the FZ150s lens but not like a filter it goes down in beside the lens so there is no strain,
Regarding its use i see no difference in video even with the 1.3 zoom switched
on,but for for photos no only the 1.7x lens which produce perfect stills.
For video a reasonable tripod when filming video is best especially if its breezy.
Hope that helped a bit .Chris
post #58 of 91 Old 05-01-2012, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus View Post

......Hope that helped a bit .Chris

It does help. I didn't understand how the two parts worked.

After I posted this yesterday I found that Panasonic makes three adapters for using this lens on different camera models. Various retailers have not updated their product pages to reflect the new FZ150. Finding the lens for sale will usually have an adapter recommend with it. But, it can be the wrong one.

At this Panasonic USA site you can see (in dim lettering) that the DMW-LA5 is required by the FZ150.

Search shopping for just the DMW-LT55 brought up plenty of places to buy it where the DMW-LA2 and DMW-LA3 were offered with it.

I also found a some examples of the birds and the moon in the forums at dpreview.com that were impressive.

I think DW is going to get a a DMW-LT55 lens! I'll surprise her!

Bill
post #59 of 91 Old 05-03-2012, 06:55 AM

OK, I almost ordered the TM900 the other day, but based on your input I'm leaning towards the FZ-150. I'll probably order one or the other this week.

I re-read several FZ-150 reviews and have a few more questions. Please note that these questions are based on how I would shoot with my DV XL1 & TRV-900 camcorders (which I sold).
  1. If I were recording an event like a football game I would hit the record pause button after each play & then hit the record resume button just prior to the start of the next play. If you recorded this way (by using pause button to suspend and resume recording) would you get one clip (file) or multiple clips?
  2. If I'm recording a clip can I pause it and rewind it so I can view it on the screen and then after viewing it continue recording on the end of the same clip? I know you can view clips from the beginning of the clip. However, if the FZ-150 is recording one big clip it would be great if you could rewind from the end and view the last part of what you just recorded.
  3. Assume you are using an external mic. There isn't a headphone jack so you can't check your audio when recording. Are there speakers in the FZ-150 LCD so when you play clips in the camera you can at least tell if you are getting any audio from your external mic?
  4. I realize that battery performance depends on how much zooming, focusing, pausing, etc. that you do. On an average how long of 1080P video can you record with the supplied battery?
  5. Do 3rd party batteries work properly with the FZ-150? Does the time remaining indicator work? I saw 3rd party 1200 mah batteries on Amazon for $14.95 that got good reviews.

Again thanks.

Quote:

1. No limit in US
2. low light TM700 is better if you work with manual settings -FZ150 is better with iA
3. You will have no problems recording lacrosse or hockey. The big differnce
recording hockey if there is a really bad light at the rink "if you can see the puck you can play" type. Video from FZ would be pretty bad -TM700 better.
Here is FZ150 hockey video "normal light" http://vimeo.com/38363665
4. Matter of preference - FZ150 take a little bit time to get use to and video is generally two hands operation for me - TM700 one hand.

They both have pros and cons.
You can make fantastic quality videos with TM if you work with manual settings.
If you prefer iA - FZ wins hads down. I cannot make techical explanation, but
for my eyes FZ video has fewer details, but those details are sharper.

I sold TM and keep FZ

post #60 of 91 Old 05-03-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:

OK, I almost ordered the TM900 the other day, but based on your input I'm leaning towards the FZ-150. I'll probably order one or the other this week.

I re-read several FZ-150 reviews and have a few more questions. Please note that these questions are based on how I would shoot with my DV XL1 & TRV-900 camcorders (which I sold).
  1. If I were recording an event like a football game I would hit the record pause button after each play & then hit the record resume button just prior to the start of the next play. If you recorded this way (by using pause button to suspend and resume recording) would you get one clip (file) or multiple clips?
  2. If I'm recording a clip can I pause it and rewind it so I can view it on the screen and then after viewing it continue recording on the end of the same clip? I know you can view clips from the beginning of the clip. However, if the FZ-150 is recording one big clip it would be great if you could rewind from the end and view the last part of what you just recorded.
  3. Assume you are using an external mic. There isn't a headphone jack so you can't check your audio when recording. Are there speakers in the FZ-150 LCD so when you play clips in the camera you can at least tell if you are getting any audio from your external mic?
  4. I realize that battery performance depends on how much zooming, focusing, pausing, etc. that you do. On an average how long of 1080P video can you record with the supplied battery?
  5. Do 3rd party batteries work properly with the FZ-150? Does the time remaining indicator work? I saw 3rd party 1200 mah batteries on Amazon for $14.95 that got good reviews.

Again thanks.

1. Every time you push record button - you create a few file.
2. Not sure, but most probably - no.
3. Sorry - do not use exernal mike.
4. This depends of zoom, evf versus screen, but gererally I can eazy record two hockey games on one battery and I keep camera on with LCD screen on.
5. There are planty of 3rd party batteries I use this:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...W-BMB9E+BMB9PP
time remaining indicator works fine.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page