Official Panasonic Lumix FZ-150 owners thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 91 Old 05-03-2012, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In addition to bobk77's answer:

3. I use zoom h1 as an external mic with my fz150. Yes, fz150 does have speakers but you have to stop recording and playback the file to hear the sound. But note that, the speaker's volume is very low and will be next to inaudible in noisy places.

4. I have done 3 hours of 1080i recording on a fully charged battery , but i had it on viewfinder most of the time and zoomed in/out very less. On average i can say you can do about an hour and half at 1080p.

Hope it helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 91 Old 05-03-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 24
In video mode its just like a cam,start recording then pause is a clip,clips can be played back and will not interfear with the next clip,i only have the Pana batteries,i know with GH2s non Pana batteries do not show battery power left but dont know if FZ150 is the same in this respect.
post #63 of 91 Old 05-03-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Screw a 52 mm uv filter on the front. Then nothing will hurt the lens.

Thanks. I will buy one. Are the cheap $5 ones good enough? - i just need it for lens protection but will be shooting with filter on.

Quote:

My string went in with a pinch of the end and a little wiggling. The short end of the string is stiff and the hole is a curved channel. It should be easy.

I will try it again. Hopefully i will get it go in this time.

I couldn't find my bag model online, but its a V-shaped bag, so is it better to put the camera in it vertically with the camera lens facing down or horizontally?

It fits in both ways although horizontal is a little snug fit. I just feel putting it in vertically will put pressure on the lens when the camera bag is kept on a table etc.
post #64 of 91 Old 05-04-2012, 08:38 AM

Well based on comments from a TM900 user the TM900 & FZ-150 operate the same way:

1. Each time you hit "Pause" (if there is a pause button), you create a new clip.

2. If you review a clip and then hit record you will start a new clip.

So the only difference that matter to me between these two cams is that the TM900 has a headphone out. However, a poster on this thread confirmed that the FZ-150 has a small speaker so if you are using an external mic you could record a test clip & then play it back to confirm that you were at least getting an audio signal (i.e. the battery on the mic isn't dead, you're wiring screwed up, etc.)

I think I better buy an FZ-150 before they run out or before I come up with any more questions.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobk77 View Post

1. Every time you push record button - you create a few file.
2. Not sure, but most probably - no.
3. Sorry - do not use exernal mike.
4. This depends of zoom, evf versus screen, but gererally I can eazy record two hockey games on one battery and I keep camera on with LCD screen on.
5. There are planty of 3rd party batteries I use this:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...W-BMB9E+BMB9PP
time remaining indicator works fine.

post #65 of 91 Old 05-04-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
...then play it back to confirm that you were at least getting an audio signal ..

If the mic is switched off or not connected properly, the cam will automatically shift to the inbuilt mic. It happened with me once.

When the mic is correctly connected, there will be a mic icon pop up on screen and will stay there throughout the recording telling you that the sound is being recorded from the external mic.
post #66 of 91 Old 05-04-2012, 12:37 PM

OK, what cards support full HD recording the best? The FZ-150 works with sdhc & sdxc cards. I don't have a reader for either of these so this isn't a factor.

I would like to by two 32gig cards. Would these Transcend 32 GB Class 10 SDHC work? These cost about $30 each

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Clas...ref=pd_sim_p_3

Or, should I play it safe & get these: SanDisk 32GB EXTREME SDHC Card Class 10 45MB/s for about $40 each?

Thanks!
post #67 of 91 Old 05-04-2012, 12:58 PM

Liked: 11
Class 10 is perfectly fine. I acually use this one with no problems:
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-S...6157830&sr=1-7
post #68 of 91 Old 05-04-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobk77 View Post

Class 10 is perfectly fine. I acually use this one with no problems:
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-S...ttleforthew-20

This one is $7 less expensive and works just as well (I have both):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ttleforthew-20

Enjoy your FZ-150! It's a great hybrid still/video camera.

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #69 of 91 Old 05-05-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by delaluz View Post

OK, what cards support full HD recording the best? The FZ-150 works with sdhc & sdxc cards. I don't have a reader for either of these so this isn't a factor.

I would like to by two 32gig cards. Would these Transcend 32 GB Class 10 SDHC work? These cost about $30 each

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Clas...ref=pd_sim_p_3

Or, should I play it safe & get these: SanDisk 32GB EXTREME SDHC Card Class 10 45MB/s for about $40 each?

Thanks!

This is one of those areas where spending extra money does not get extra performance.

Ungerman pointed me towards some reading on SD Cards at Wikipedia.

Confusion comes up because the class ratings guarantee speeds in Mega Bytes per second. A class 10 is guaranteed to run no slower than 10 MB/s.

Our cameras' performance specs are in Mega bits per second. Page 129 of the FZ150 Advanced Manual states, at the highest setting, it is producing data at 28 Mbps. Converting mega bits per second to mega bytes per second explains why it says on page 20 you can use ANY class 4 SD card that runs at only 4MBs. Buying any Class 10 card,at 10MBs, gives you better than a 300% margin for speed!

A 1080p60 camera of any brand can't work fast enough to take advantage of any Class 10 card.

The difference between SD, SDHC and SDXC designations is about formatting and potential storage capacity, not speed. (Fat16, Fat32 and ExFat) Getting a 32GB SDXC is not better than getting a 32GB SDHC card. They are just formatted differently.

Making it more confusing is that the Class rating is a "minimum". They usually go faster in both read and write. And, the card makers can brag about faster speeds if they want to create a "marketing edge" to justify a higher price.

Most of us seem to buy Class 10 cards because they seem to be commonly available in sizes appropriate to what we do. For example on a three week trip I filled two 32GB cards only half way. So, my standard has become 32MB Class 10 of any brand for my three cameras.

If you want to test both speed and reliability, you can use a program called "H2testw" (It's German. Google it for a download.) It takes a blank card, fills it with dummy data and keeps track while doing it. Then it reports if there were any errors and how fast the card reads and writes. My collection of SD cards all passed.
post #70 of 91 Old 05-05-2012, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the input. I just bought the FZ-150 3 cards 2 extra batteries & a charger.

My thoughts were that for grandkids video the FZ-150 & TM900 would be "about the same". However, I was also getting a pretty good long range still camera. And saving some $$$.

Again, thanks!
post #71 of 91 Old 05-06-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Congratulations! I think you made the right decision - I have both cameras, and I reach for the FZ150 when I leave the house (when my wife lets me borrow it :-)). It is very easy to use and produces excellent still and video results.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #72 of 91 Old 05-06-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunerww View Post

(when my wife lets me borrow it :-))

I'm in the same boat. I bought one for my DW as an "early" birthday present. For her real birthday she is getting the lens adapter tube, the telephoto lens and the close up lens. I'm going to have to drug her to get a chance play with it.

Bill
post #73 of 91 Old 05-08-2012, 10:48 AM

Guys, Are the cheap $5 lens filter good - i need one for lens protection mainly when the camera is not in use but i guess i will have it on while i m using the camera too.

Also, i have a V-shaped bag for my camera, so is it better to put the camera in it vertically with the camera lens facing down or horizontally?

It fits in both ways although horizontal is a little snug fit. I just feel putting it in vertically will put pressure on the lens when the camera bag is kept on a table etc.
post #74 of 91 Old 05-08-2012, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techspark View Post

Guys, Are the cheap $5 lens filter good - i need one for lens protection mainly when the camera is not in use but i guess i will have it on while i m using the camera too.

Also, i have a V-shaped bag for my camera, so is it better to put the camera in it vertically with the camera lens facing down or horizontally?

Cheaper filters may not have the coatings the more expensive ones have so you may get some flair or ghosting. It will depend on where the light is coming from.

If the camera is off, it shouldn't matter how you put it in the bag. It is not so flimsy that there would be a problem.

Bill
post #75 of 91 Old 05-13-2012, 01:42 PM

Thanks Bill
Quote:
Cheaper filters may not have the coatings the more expensive ones have so you may get some flair or ghosting. It will depend on where the light is coming from.

Which one would you suggest ? I just need one to cover up the lens and do not any other protection like UV and other things. Do i still need a multi-coated one ??
post #76 of 91 Old 05-13-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

t.s. - It's hard to find the plain glass or the old "skylight" filters I used to use in the 1970s. Now I use an inexpensive 52mm Zeikos UV filter for lens protection on the FZ150. It works great and doesn't ghost or flare unless I point it directly at a light source, where the lens would have flared anyway. I recommend it highly.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #77 of 91 Old 05-13-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

....It's hard to find the plain glass or the old "skylight" filters I used to use in the 1970s.

I had a suitcase full of Nikon gear including a 4 inch stack of 52mm filters that I bought for cheap in overseas Navy PX stores. Suddenly I wish I still had them!

Bill
post #78 of 91 Old 05-13-2012, 09:17 PM

Liked: 14
can you look through the eyepiece while recording video?
post #79 of 91 Old 05-14-2012, 04:55 AM

Quote:

t.s. - It's hard to find the plain glass or the old "skylight" filters I used to use in the 1970s. Now I use an inexpensive 52mm Zeikos UV filter for lens protection on the FZ150. It works great and doesn't ghost or flare unless I point it directly at a light source, where the lens would have flared anyway. I recommend it highly.

Looks great and only for $4, thanks bill!

Quote:

Yes you can
post #80 of 91 Old 05-14-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg2003gt View Post

As techspark said - yes, you can.

[Start rant] It's only antiquated DSLRs with obsolete reflex mirrors that block you from using the viewfinder when you shoot video. I don't know why anyone would spend hundreds - or even thousands - of dollars for a camera with the intention of shooting video that disables the viewfinder in video mode. Imagine my shock when I switched my new Canon T2i to its highly touted video mode in June of 2010 and the viewfinder went black. Sold it shortly thereafter. Canon/Nikon/Pentax - please get rid of those 20th century mirrors (and video clip time limits) on your video capable cameras. Thank you. [End rant]

I feel better :-)
post #81 of 91 Old 05-14-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Some stills i took with my FZ150 using my 1.7x extender lens,sorry i could not load them direct to the site,only linked to another site.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=41508372
post #82 of 91 Old 05-14-2012, 07:58 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

As techspark said - yes, you can.

[Start rant] It's only antiquated DSLRs with obsolete reflex mirrors that block you from using the viewfinder when you shoot video. I don't know why anyone would spend hundreds - or even thousands - of dollars for a camera with the intention of shooting video that disables the viewfinder in video mode. Imagine my shock when I switched my new Canon T2i to its highly touted video mode in June of 2010 and the viewfinder went black. Sold it shortly thereafter. Canon/Nikon/Pentax - please get rid of those 20th century mirrors (and video clip time limits) on your video capable cameras. Thank you. [End rant]

I feel better :-)

this is great. thanks. The problem I have with the current crop of camcorders is that none of them have an old-school viewfinder and therefore make you use the screen. When it is bright outside, it is hard to see the screen, and therefore I would rather use the VF.
post #83 of 91 Old 05-14-2012, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg2003gt View Post

...The problem I have with the current crop of camcorders is that none of them have an old-school viewfinder and therefore make you use the screen.

Last year's Panasonic TM900 and it's replacement for this year, the X900MK have them. So did the SDT-750.

Bill
post #84 of 91 Old 05-19-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My wife got the Panasonic adapter, telephoto lens and close up lens as listed in the back of the Basic Manual for her birthday yesterday. Today she tried it. So far, only smiles. She likes what she saw in the first few shots. It continues to be hard to keep my hands off her camera!
post #85 of 91 Old 06-09-2012, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone been using the FZ-150 for high speed video? Usually the cameras use an AUTO exposure control for video. The actual exposure time is unknown.

Has anyone taken or posted on YT or Vimeo some high speed video in bright sunlight? Golf videos? The sunlight might cause the AUTO to select a very fast shutter speed and reduce motion blur.

(I tested my HSV camera for motion blur and Jello Effect by using a rapidly rotating straight bar on a disc. http://vimeo.com/21529497 )
post #86 of 91 Old 06-11-2012, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Tennis View Post

Has anyone been using the FZ-150 for high speed video? ...

I haven't tried it and didn't know it would do it. This is a cut and paste from the manual:

[HIGH SPEED VIDEO]

This will record 220 frames/second, recording very fast movement that cannot be seen
with the naked eye as a motion picture.

1 Press the motion picture button to start the recording.
• Release the motion picture button right after you press it.

2 Press the motion picture button again to stop the recording.

Note
• It cannot be recorded into the built-in memory.
• Motion pictures will be recorded in the Motion JPEG format. Use the “QuickTime” or
“PHOTOfunSTUDIO” software on the CD-ROM (supplied) to play back motion pictures on a
computer.
• Audio is not recorded.
• Motion picture can be recorded continuously for up to 2 GB.
• The focus, zoom, exposure and White Balance is fixed to the value at the beginning of the
recording motion picture.
• Under fluorescent lighting, flicker or horizontal bars may be seen.

Bill
post #87 of 91 Old 06-18-2012, 02:37 PM

Got the FZ150 mainly for photos. However, I have had a problem copying my video to my computer to edit. The files end in .MTS and the editing program I am using does not accept .MTS. I'm am new to the camera and video editing and would appreciate any advice on the best way to copy the videos to the computer and any suggestions on free or low cost video editing programs that work well with the FZ150. Thanks.
post #88 of 91 Old 06-18-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

DLW - sorry to hear that you're having challenges with the video files from your FZ150.. If you have a Windows 7 machine, the free copy of Windows Movie Maker loaded on your machine should recognize the files. In order to help further, I'd need to know what operating system you're using - Windows Vista? XP? Mac OS? And what editing software?

Bill
post #89 of 91 Old 06-19-2012, 10:18 AM

I am using Vista and Picasa editing. Thanks for your help.
post #90 of 91 Old 06-19-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

http://vimeo.com/44319570
Filmed with my FZ150 last sunday
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page