Official Thread : VIXIA HF R30 , HF R32 , HF R300 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 04-23-2012, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Seen several of the VIXIA HF threads but none mentioning the HF R30 , R32 , or the R300 so thought this might help to get one started . I just bought the HF R300 and this is my first camcorder ever . I know Canons reputation cause i've dealt with them for the past 8 years with digital cameras . Now i want to get my hands wet with camcording . It will be for hobby of family & friend gatherings , vacations , and just plain walk around and perhaps some wildlife ventures . I have "ALOT" to learn but for the last 2 days learning this camcorder i feel i am really going to enjoy it ! So now if anyone who has any comments on these camcorders or own one of the 3 mentioned please feel free to drop in and help me get this thread started ! I'm sure i'll be back with questions as i learn myself how to take great videos !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 04-24-2012, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Now that i started this thread are there any owners here of the HF R300 ? Whether or not you are a owner does anyone have any opinions about the HF R300 , Pros' or Cons' ?
post #3 of 28 Old 04-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
anyone have the r30 and got the wifi working?
post #4 of 28 Old 04-25-2012, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

good luck , seems no one either has this line of camcorders or they don't like them or they are not interested in the lower cost camcorders . More than 200 viewers and your the first to even post in this topic .
post #5 of 28 Old 04-26-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlhodges View Post

good luck , seems no one either has this line of camcorders or they don't like them or they are not interested in the lower cost camcorders . More than 200 viewers and your the first to even post in this topic .

Ron,

I would enjoy participating, but I don't have or know anything about your particular camera. After buying an "expensive" camcorder, I bought a second one that is now selling for a "cheap" $290 and it is the one I tend to grab the most often.

Welcome to the camcorder section. I started reading here about 18 months ago. At the time, I had never taken a video. Since I'm retired, I've had the luxury of plenty of time for trying to figure it out. I'm starting to get some results that I like.

Bill
post #6 of 28 Old 04-26-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Well being new to this forum i guess i jumped the gun and shouldn't have started this particular thread before i fully decided to keep this camcorder or not . After a week of testing and reading review after review and checking other cameras and links i decided to take this camcorder back and will be getting the VIXIA HF M50 . I would prefer the M500 but i dealt with BestBuy and they have the M50 but not the M500 . About the only difference is the M50 has a 8-gig built in HD and slot for a SDHC card . The M500 has only a slot for card , no HD . They don't have the M52 but only difference is the M52 has a 32-gig built in and the M50 has 8-gig but i can deal with that for $100.00 difference .

So since i will be changing camcorders a moderator can delete this whole topic if he feels reason to . There is already a topic on the M500 so wont need to start one at all .
post #7 of 28 Old 04-27-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Well big mind changer here . Took the Canon back and came home with a SONY HDR-XR260V . More than the Canon but let's hope i'll be more happier with this one .
post #8 of 28 Old 04-29-2012, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlhodges View Post

Well big mind changer here . Took the Canon back and came home with a SONY HDR-XR260V . More than the Canon but let's hope i'll be more happier with this one .

Well i was not happy with the SONY , WAY TOO MUCH CA (Chromatic Aberration) and the expansion software was not available to download with the camcorder ! Took it back and got the Canon HF M50 . Great choice , now i'm happy ! NO CA either !
post #9 of 28 Old 06-27-2012, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was currently debating between the Panasonic v700 and the Sony 260V. Does your new Canon do 24p. I ask becuase in the description it says it records the 24p in 60i mode... which I believe is not true 24p.... thoughts???
post #10 of 28 Old 06-27-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmercer3 View Post

I was currently debating between the Panasonic v700 and the Sony 260V. Does your new Canon do 24p. I ask becuase in the description it says it records the 24p in 60i mode... which I believe is not true 24p.... thoughts???

Did you read all the thread ? I took the R300 back and bought the HFM50 . Not to cause misunderstanding i wont argue with your belief about the 24p recording . When you understand better the ways video is recorded you'll understand the reason for Canons recording formats and styles . Then you can argue with Canon , not me .

Frame Rate NTSC:
AVCHD: 60i/PF24/PF30
MP4: 24P/30P

You might want to read the specs on the R300 : http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders/vixia_hf_r300#Specifications

Then watch the short video explaining Vixias Technology : http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/VIXIA_imgquality

Then watch this short video on Canons HD CMOS Pro chip : http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/hd_cmos_pro

One other thing is Canon has good glass optics and that is a fact known world wide .
post #11 of 28 Old 06-28-2012, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlhodges View Post

Did you read all the thread ? I took the R300 back and bought the HFM50 . Not to cause misunderstanding i wont argue with your belief about the 24p recording . When you understand better the ways video is recorded you'll understand the reason for Canons recording formats and styles . Then you can argue with Canon , not me .
Frame Rate NTSC:
AVCHD: 60i/PF24/PF30
MP4: 24P/30P
You might want to read the specs on the R300 : http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders/vixia_hf_r300#Specifications
Then watch the short video explaining Vixias Technology : http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/VIXIA_imgquality
Then watch this short video on Canons HD CMOS Pro chip : http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/hd_cmos_pro
One other thing is Canon has good glass optics and that is a fact known world wide .

of course I read the whole thread, that is the reason I asked you about the canon, and not about the r300.

This is some great info though and I am going through it now, thanks... should help me make this decision. Also, I know you are currently happy with the canon, however, it is almost $200 more than the panasonic... in your opinion is that worth the difference?
post #12 of 28 Old 06-28-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

of course I read the whole thread, that is the reason I asked you about the canon, and not about the r300.
This is some great info though and I am going through it now, thanks... should help me make this decision. Also, I know you are currently happy with the canon, however, it is almost $200 more than the panasonic... in your opinion is that worth the difference?

Honestly i cannot answer about the Panasonic cause i have no experience with it . From what videos i have seen they all look good but honestly alot of the video depends what software you edit with and how you edit it . I use Adobe Premiere Elements suggested by another member here and i'm glad i did cause it was in my pocket range and excellent video software without going the full blown Cs6 Premiere for $800.00 . All in all the i'm definitely glad i bought the M50 and yes it's a little steep but an excellent camera . The R300 is a very good camera if your using it mostly in well lite areas or daytime . The light sensitivity is not as good as the M50 is . Another reason i bought it was because i know Canons quality and have dealt with them for many years and it's world wide known that their optics are probably the best on the market as you look around at all the major football games and see all the white lens on many cameras . That white lens is Canons trademark of perfection . The optics in the camcorders are the same way . However as with any optics any brand you get what you pay for so i wanted better and something new and not fixing to be dropped off the new list for a long time . I still have alot to learn in video and editing cause i've never been into camcorders in the past but always wanted to have one for activities and vacation purposes . When i bought the R300 when i took it back i got the Sony HDR-XR260V with the 160gig HD . It really was a nice camcorder but out in the sun it had so much CA (chromatic aberration) (purple halo) in tree leaves and around anything bright and i just could not handle that for the amount $$ it cost . I asked on the SONY forum about it and they told me it had to do with adjusting the aperture . Sorry but if you know glass you know aperture has nothing to do with CA , it's all in the quality of the optical glass . I even do astronomy and use scopes and it's the same way with telescope glass or even binoculars . So i took it back and got the M50 . There is no detectable CA on any daytime videos i have done and the only CA i have seen so far is when i zoom in on the moon and there is very little at the edge which can be edited out if need be . So do i think the extra $200.00 is worth it ?? To me definitely yes !! Depends your pocket book and what quality you need . The M500 , 50 and 52 all are the same except for the HD . M52 has 32-gig , M50 has 8-gig and the M500 has no HD , you use a card for recording . However if you can pick up a good or new M41 and your wanting to watch the budget that is a good camcorder also . You might can find that one a little cheaper at Ebay or elsewhere . Hope this helps more with your decision with whatever brand you go for . Just make sure you buy what you can afford and want to last a long time and mostly are happy with it .
post #13 of 28 Old 06-28-2012, 08:22 PM

Thanks Ron, I think the next step is a trip for the wife and I to BB to check this out. I like the fact that I can get the M500 about $100 cheaper than the M52 (a 64gb SD card is around 30$ now). In the end I realize I want to be happy with the camera and this one seems like it is the only one I can take home and not worry about buyers remorse.

Thanks for your help and I will update as I get into the camera.
post #14 of 28 Old 06-29-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks Ron, I think the next step is a trip for the wife and I to BB to check this out. I like the fact that I can get the M500 about $100 cheaper than the M52 (a 64gb SD card is around 30$ now). In the end I realize I want to be happy with the camera and this one seems like it is the only one I can take home and not worry about buyers remorse.
Thanks for your help and I will update as I get into the camera.

I honestly believe you will be happy with your purchase if you get the 500 and it does not have the Wi-Fi ability which i have disabled in mine anyway . But that 64-gig card will be more than enough or if you shoot a whole lot get 2 . if you do get it the only thing i recommend is get a small camera bag for it and go to www.amazon.com and get a Hoya clear UV filter (43mm) for the front , it will not only protect the lens but keep any flying debris out of the shutter area and it's thin so it wont interfere with the view at all . Nothing like protection for a new camera . BTW it does not effect the quality of videos or pictures what so ever ! Look forward to hearing what you decide for a definite . Have a great day !
post #15 of 28 Old 06-29-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

I thought i might ask if you saw this thread i made on the M50 :

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409756/official-canon-hf-m50-52-500-thread

It has alot of info , sample videos and a few pictures . The car image is the only one i edited with some special software but had the original image not been good the edited image would not have turned out as good as it did but the other scenery images have not been edited , straight out of the camera . This is the thread this forum has doing it's best to bury as quick as they can ........ , wonder why ?? ;-)
post #16 of 28 Old 11-08-2012, 12:24 AM

anyone knows the difference between R30 and R300? im wondering why R30 is more expenceve...
any differences in the quality?
it looks like the same to me.
can anyone tell me the difference?
post #17 of 28 Old 11-08-2012, 12:36 PM

The r30 has 8gb Hard Drive, and Wifi capability. Other than that, they are the same camera... If get one of these, I recommend getting 3rd party battery packs, as the supplied battery is garbage. I bought a double pack of highest capacity battery (bp-727) for 25.00. I ended up buying:

r300 for 250.00
64gb sd 40.00
Batteries 25.00

I'm happy with the purchase so far, though it's my first camcorder. I think it was a good buy for the price. I was able to buy some stabilizers, and external mic and lighting, all for under 500.00.

I'm wondering if anyone who owns one of these knows if it's possible to add a lense hood, filters, maybe a fish-eye lens..
post #18 of 28 Old 11-08-2012, 04:55 PM

what does the wifi thing do?
post #19 of 28 Old 11-08-2012, 07:35 PM

I'm guessing it lets you transfer files from your camera to your computer without having to connect to USB. I wouldn't pay extra $$ for a feature like this. Now if the camera let you upload directly to the web via a service like YouTube, TAPIN or QIK, then you might have something special...
post #20 of 28 Old 11-09-2012, 04:19 PM

hmm ok im thinking to buy the R300 now that I know what it does.
post #21 of 28 Old 11-12-2012, 09:54 AM

The cheap "fish eye" lenses sometimes work OK. I would definately stay away from the cheap "telephoto" add on lenses however... I have had very bad luck with those. This is one of the primary reasons I bought an R300... excellent telephoto capabilities along with a microphone jack and headphone jack. I am often take video of shows from the back of an auditorium using a tripod with a wireless microphone or hooked to the tape out of a PA sound system. A good zoom with an external mic jack along with an easy way to monitor is hardly ever found on camcorders costing twice the $229 I paid for my R300.

It is amusing to me all the people who have trashed this camcorder over the low capacity battery included. In the last thirty years I have never bought a camcorder without at least two extra batteries. The high capacity generics for these are unbelievably cheap. Most of the time in my application I can find a power outlet anyway. But people need something to fuss about I guess.

I am just now transitioning from a Sony HC-3 that records HD to a mini-DV tape. After many years I am still happy with the HC-3, but transferring the files from tape to the computer is a time consuming process. I also like that I can record to a 720p MP4 that doesn't have to be re-encoded before uploading to YouTube. I am still happy with the Sony HC-3, but I purchased the R300 to save time. So far the video quality is good enough for what I am using it for.

I will post some YouTube links to my videos in this "official" thread if anyone is interested. Unfortunately, much of what I do can't be posted because it is from private events.
post #22 of 28 Old 11-13-2012, 09:36 PM

But there are no threads on the lens. They make filters, lenses, hoods that can fit onto the R300's...?

Yeh, when I was shopping around for a camera, all I would read about these vixias was how terrible the battery was. So at first, I didn't want to consider any of these. I had my eye on the Sony Handy cams with the built in projectors. But then I saw the battery packs on amazon selling pretty cheap. I figured the price was right if I bought the vixia with the batteries, problem solved.

Anyways, so you don't see any benefit to recording in AVCHD, being that YouTube can playback 1080p...?
post #23 of 28 Old 12-26-2012, 01:45 PM

hey pleease answer this qickly, im an owner of the cannon vixia HF R300 and was wondering if you knew about fish eye lenses that would fit and work that camera thanks ! like you thread:)
post #24 of 28 Old 12-26-2012, 06:37 PM

The post RIGHT above yours mentioned that the lens isn't threaded, so no fisheye lens will work cause there is no way to attach it. Haha can I guess that you are wanting to use it for skateboarding or bmx? Seems like everyone into those types of sports wants to use a fisheye lens in their videos
post #25 of 28 Old 03-14-2013, 08:28 AM

It is actually quite easy and cheap to make an adapter so that you can use filters and light weight lens adapters on the R300. It does not require one to modify their camcorder in any way, so it does not void the warranty. It also helps to keep dirt and the elements from getting on your lens and inside the camcorder. There is a how to video posted here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hXr4Avi0EU
post #26 of 28 Old 04-12-2013, 08:26 AM

Hey guys I used to own a canon vixia hf m300 & Im wandering am I do something wrong with the r300. Because I don't seem to get a high a quality video resolution as I did with the m300. I checked all the settings on the r300 & made sure I'm recording at the highest setting 24mbs in avchd format. Could it be my SD card I'm using a 8gb Ridata class 10 card. Thanks for any help.
post #27 of 28 Old 06-19-2013, 09:47 AM

I'm pretty sure I am right, but just making sure. I have the HF R30 and I was wondering if I could use the video posted on youtube to add different lens, am I correct?
post #28 of 28 Old 06-19-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notrelluf View Post

I'm pretty sure I am right, but just making sure. I have the HF R30 and I was wondering if I could use the video posted on youtube to add different lens, am I correct?

If you mean adding filter/fx like fixing color or image stabilization on your uploaded video, YouTube seems to have this feature but you would have to go into your account and see what's available.

If you mean adding filters/lens physically onto the camera itself, the R30 doesn't have a filter thread at the end of the lens for adding filters/lenses, although you can search YouTube and forums for DIY solutions.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page