AVS Forum banner

Audio recorded with external mic plays in YouTube videos won't play on iPad or iPhone

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Wilderness 
#1 ·
I can hear interviews I recorded with a handheld mic on videos edited in iMovie and uploaded to YouTube only if I watch the YouTube video on a Mac or PC.

If I try to access the videos via YouTube on my iPhone or iPad, I can hear the nat sound recorded with the video camera but I can't hear the interviews recorded with a handheld mic. This is a problem for my videos when I watch them in YouTube's app and via several browsers on the iPad and iPhone.

What is causing this problem? Is there a workaround or solution?

I am using a Canon HF G10 video camera and either a Shure handheld mic or an Electro-Voice 635A handheld mic.

Thanks.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabatical /forum/post/21944447

That's very interesting. Does YouTube support multiple audio streams?

Yes, and we select all of the devices before uploading: iPhone, Mac, PC, etc.

It's really frustrating that the the videos' audio can only be heard on the Mac and PC, but not on iPhone or iPad.

We're have no idea what is causing the problem.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague /forum/post/21947900

Why don't you use your favorite editing software to "render" an optimized YouTube video with a single, combined audio track? I don't understand why you want to send multiple audio tracks to YouTube.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for responding.

Today, I noticed that the interviews audio recorded from our external handheld mic plays in our YouTube videos in the Skyfire, Puffin, Roadshow, and Bing browsers/apps on my iPad. These browsers are all Flash-friendly. The audio will not play in the YouTube app or Safari, etc. This makes me think the problem has something to do with Flash.

The voice overs recorded in the office and the audio from the built in mic play in all browsers and in the YouTube app on my iPad.

I can't hear any interview audio (except some faint chirping sounds) on my iPhone from these videos. Again, I can hear the voice overs and audio from the built in mic without a problem.

These audio problems are only occurring with videos shot with our new Canon HF G10 video camera. There is no problem at all with videos shot with our old Canon HV20 mini DV video camera.

#6 ·
I discovered yesterday that I can hear the interview external mic audio in the videos only if use WiFi on my iPad. If I use my 3G cellular data, I can't hear the external mic audio in the videos.

I can't hear the external mic audio on my iPhone no matter what I use for access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilderness /forum/post/21952445

Hi Bill,

Thanks for responding.

Today, I noticed that the interviews audio recorded from our external handheld mic plays in our YouTube videos in the Skyfire, Puffin, Roadshow, and Bing browsers/apps on my iPad. These browsers are all Flash-friendly. The audio will not play in the YouTube app or Safari, etc. This makes me think the problem has something to do with Flash.

The voice overs recorded in the office and the audio from the built in mic play in all browsers and in the YouTube app on my iPad.

I can't hear any interview audio (except some faint chirping sounds) on my iPhone from these videos. Again, I can hear the voice overs and audio from the built in mic without a problem.

These audio problems are only occurring with videos shot with our new Canon HF G10 video camera. There is no problem at all with videos shot with our old Canon HV20 mini DV video camera.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilderness /forum/post/21960481

I discovered yesterday that I can hear the interview external mic audio in the videos only if use WiFi on my iPad. If I use my 3G cellular data, I can't hear the external mic audio in the videos.

I can't hear the external mic audio on my iPhone no matter what I use for access.

Is there any reason why you have 2 audio tracks in your videos? Does the 'camera' audio track have any value?

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague /forum/post/21947900

Why don't you use your favorite editing software to "render" an optimized YouTube video with a single, combined audio track? I don't understand why you want to send multiple audio tracks to YouTube.

Bill

Thank you, bsprague and sabatical, for your helpful suggestions. You were both correct in identifying the solution to our problem. When we edited our next video, we put all of the audio onto one track as you recommended and that solved the problem. We also followed Youtube's directions in its self help section. Now all of our audio -- including interviews recorded with a handheld mic -- plays correctly on all devices with either WiFi or cellular data in either the YouTube app or in the Safari browser.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.