Sony Camcorder need 2 mics - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-27-2012, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I have a CX760V and it has 1 microphone input.

Filming things the person usually comes up very clear (minus the wind noise) I would like to be able to hear both parties through lav mics, but can't afford wireless lav mics (good ones that people aren't returning to the store)

So, someone suggested buying 2 normal wired lavs for $20 and then getting a radio shack "Y" splitter. I didn't think that would work, because of what it's doing with a signal and that it's usually meant to split headphones, but I tried it.
No sound on either mic when connected to the "Y"

It was suggested that I try a Beachtek unit, but it was XLR's and the lav's are the small inputs like on your phones 3.5mm?

My question please is how can I inexpensively get these 2 mics to record from my camcorder. If I need a 3rd party mixer, I would need one that is easy to use and inexpensive.

Also this is a totally unrelated question, but I'm out of holes to add things to my camera. The hole on the bottom of the camera is usually on a tripod or a monopod. I have a handle I can attach to it which allows for a LED light up top, but the handle wont allow you to use anything but the 2 hour battery (sigh.... wish there was a handle for a big battery)

Is there a way to add more holes, something that I can screw into the one bottom hole which adds more holes for attachments into the camera.

Thank you for being such a nice group of people. Reading posts from members, everyone seems so nice.

Have a wonderful day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-27-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by drm317 View Post

Is there a way to add more holes, something that I can screw into the one bottom hole which adds more holes for attachments into the camera.

I can't help much on the first one, but the second one is easier.

There is a guy with a website full of self made tools. His name is Scott and it is called the Frugal Filmmaker. He has a plastic stabilizer and you can watch his video here: $5 Stabilizer.

An other is to use a small piece of metal and 1/4-20 screws, which is the size the fits most cameras. All hardware stores have a rack full of aluminium pieces you can cut and bend to what ever shape you want. Then look for a "wing screw" to attach the bar you cut to the camera. I found one at an Ace Hardware and it was called an "air cleaner bolt". Older cars used to use them to hold the air filter on. I had to shorten it with a hack saw and file it smooth again. That screw will hold anything to your camera.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi drm - least expensive solution to your problem is probably a $55 Azden on camcorder min audio mixer. Plug your two mics into the mixer inputs and plug the mixer output into your camera's mic jacks. Mounts on your hot shoe.

Which brings us to your second problem. I use a $9 Adorama C bracket to add a couple of hot shoes to my camera. Makes it easy to add a light and a mic - or a wireless receiver and an external recorder, or whatever I need that day.

Here's what it looks like with a wireless lav receiver and an external recorder on it (on the right):

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #4 of 5 Old 04-27-2012, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much BSprague. I don't know that I can use the $5 stabilizer because I doesn't solve the problem of a way to add more screws where I can add on more things.

However your second solution is awesome and I will use it. I have seen what you are thinking of (I think I even have some holding up my garage door unit to the ceiling. My main concern is that I can't swing a hammer to save my life, and I want whatever is made to be good quality and very strong.

I'm going to go tomorrow and see what I can find.

Now if I only could swing a hammer I would make the rig where you have the camera way over head for down shots. I've watched several of those and I can't drill holes into metal "L" things making sure each hole is perfectly centered, I can't cut pipe, file down screws lol. All the demos made it look so easy it was sickening :-)

Thank you for your very helpful advice, I'll take a picture of how it looks when I'm done.

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

I can't help much on the first one, but the second one is easier.

There is a guy with a website full of self made tools. His name is Scott and it is called the

An other is to use a small piece of metal and 1/4-20 screws, which is the size the fits most cameras. All hardware stores have a rack full of aluminium pieces you can cut and bend to what ever shape you want. Then look for a "wing screw" to attach the bar you cut to the camera. I found one at an Ace Hardware and it was called an "air cleaner bolt". Older cars used to use them to hold the air filter on. I had to shorten it with a hack saw and file it smooth again. That screw will hold anything to your camera.

post #5 of 5 Old 04-27-2012, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Bill for your reply also.

Both of those ideas are great.

Especially the thing which allows more shoes.
The mixer I had looked at before, but it had numerous bad reviews (but what doesn't have some naysayers) BUT it took the same plug size I have, which no other item I found did.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page