Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-04-2012, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi
Hoping someone can help here.
I have a Panasonic video camera and use the HD Writer supplied to upload videos to my computer and burn dvd's - all this is working fine.
However my Mother also has a Panasonic video camera but had various issues with it and her computer. To cut a long story short, I managed to get all the information off her SD card and onto my laptop.
Under the folder I created for them I have the following
Folder called DCIM - This is empty
Folder called Private
Within Private is a folder called AVCHD
Within AVCHD are folders called AVCHDTN and BDMV
Within AVCHDTN are two files - THUMB.TDT and THUMB.TID
Within BDMV are 3 folders - CLIPINF, PLAYLIST and STREAM and 2 files - INDEX.BDM and MOVIEOBJ.BDM
Within CLIPINF are loads of .CPI files
Within PLAYLIST are a few .MPL files
Within STREAM are loads of .MTS files
But I have no idea how to burn these onto a dvd - I'd like to burn onto a HD quality dvd to playback in my PS3.
I'd also prefer not to have to buy software to do it as my camera is working fine with HD writer and this is a one time exercise to retrive files and burn them.
Could someone point me in the right direction please?
Many thanks
Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-04-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 90
My experience is that HD Writer won't work unless you use it to transfer your video to your computer. Perhaps something changes in those three little extra files during the process. It seems if video files get to your computer any other way, HD Writer will treat them as foreign aliens. It simply won't work with them.

HD Writer should work if you still have your mother's SD card. Put it in the slot on your computer. If you don't have a slot, get a USB card reader (about $5). HD Writer should see it as a potential source under the "Copy to PC" process.

If you don't have her card or it doesn't work, you need other software.

The latest version of Adobe Premier Elements is 10. It sells for about $75 and does many fun, amazing and useful things - including the new feature of making AVCHD discs for use in Blu-Ray players. $25 and a few evenings at Lynda.com Training and you will have a good working knowledge of all it can do.

Reading this forum over the last year, the think the most frequently mentioned "freeware" program is "MultiAVCD". I've not tried it and don't want to.

On edit: I re-read your question. You said this is a one time project. I think the PS3 will play .mts files from a plain data disc. Try using Windows Explorer and copy them to a disk like you would if you were backing up word processing files. I don't own one, but I've read where the PS3 will play .mts and .m2ts files like many Blu-Ray players will.

Good luck and have fun!

Bill
post #3 of 7 Old 05-04-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If all the files fit one DVD and you haven't lost any of the original files, then try this: http://www.avchduser.com/articles/avchd_to_bluray.jsp
post #4 of 7 Old 05-05-2012, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

H
Thanks for the replies.
I followed the instructions at avchddvduser.com...articles...avchd_to_bluray.jsp
And I do now have a DVD that will play all the clips from the sd card. However there's no menu and no chapters so no way to jump to a certain clip.
Any advice on how I could add that?

Thanks

Martin
post #5 of 7 Old 05-05-2012, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by christm View Post

I do now have a DVD that will play all the clips from the sd card. However there's no menu and no chapters so no way to jump to a certain clip. Any advice on how I could add that?

Thanks

Martin

MultiAVCHD.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-06-2012, 09:28 PM

not sure if the panasonic is anything like my sony, but with sony, i had the same issue, the software that came with the sony camera PMB allows you to export the files from the computer back to the camera, and then reimport them thru the PMB in the format you are used to. Could be an option?
post #7 of 7 Old 06-06-2012, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Hi

Just as an update from this - about HD Writer.
As mentioned above I put all the files from an SD card onto my pc just by directly copying them - not using HD writer.
Now HD Writer cannot see these files to import or to burn to DVD.
I thought that maybe if I copied all the files (and folders) originally taken from the SD Card back onto a blank SD Card - and then tried to import that SD Card into HD Writer, it would work - however HD Writer doesn't see any of the vidoes on the card.

Any ideas why or if there's a way around it?

Many thanks

Martin
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page