What am I not doing correctly? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-05-2012, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I videotape with my Canon Vixia HF M500 - After I record the videos, I plug my chip into my macbook pro, then upload the clips to my computer; I use MTS Converter and turn it into a .mp4 video, then use iMovie to edit - then, I upload it to youtube and watch it on my computer. My clips that I upload are never nearly as good looking as the other Canon Vixia HF M500's people are testing and uploading onto YouTube?

Why would this be? I shoot with the most expensive chip that money can buy, I shoot in 25 mbps/1080 and it ends up looking like 480p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-06-2012, 01:05 AM

Firstly, you are encoding your video twice. Once when you use MTS Converter and secondly when you use iMovie. YouTube then encodes it a third time. Each encode results in a loss of quality.

What settings are you using in MTS Converter? (eg. output resolution, bitate)
What settings are you using in iMove when you export (render) the video? (eg. resolution, bitrate)

The reason why other people's videos look better on YouTube is because they probably upload the MTS (1920 x 1080) file directly to YouTube.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-06-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 94
You may find more useful information here: YouTube Video Encoding

Another approach is to use an editor with built in presets for YouTube. I like Adobe Premier Elements 10 (about $75). It will use your 25 mbps/1080 without any conversion and is loaded with editing tools. It always leaves the original files unchanged. Amazon makes it convenient to buy and download, or if you buy the box it comes with versions for Mac or PC. If someone has Windows 7, it includes a 64bit version.

With you project complete, it has a menu choice to render and upload a YouTube optimized file directly to your account. Or, you can create a YouTube optimized file on you computer to upload with YouTube tools. By matching the YouTube specs, the file is smaller so the upload is much faster and YouTube appears to do less processing.
Another thing that is nice is that you can code or "render" the same project in optimized presets for your computer, DVDs, AVCHD discs, iPads, Blu-Rays, etc.

Bill
post #4 of 6 Old 05-15-2012, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabatical View Post

Firstly, you are encoding your video twice. Once when you use MTS Converter and secondly when you use iMovie. YouTube then encodes it a third time. Each encode results in a loss of quality.

What settings are you using in MTS Converter? (eg. output resolution, bitate)
What settings are you using in iMove when you export (render) the video? (eg. resolution, bitrate)

The reason why other people's videos look better on YouTube is because they probably upload the MTS (1920 x 1080) file directly to YouTube.

I used 25 mbps - 1080p HD originally, while shooting on on my camera. I then take it into MTS converter and use the output setting that pops up immediately on the top; it's like .mp4 and also 25 mbps, if I'm correct the output format is named: H.264 Video(*.mp4). Then once it's finished, I start a new project in iMovie, import the video I just converted and set it to 25 or 30 mbps & share it straight onto youtube through iMovie. I know my camera is better than it ended up looking..so Idk what I'm really doing wrong
post #5 of 6 Old 05-15-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmusic12 View Post

I used 25 mbps - 1080p HD originally, while shooting on on my camera.

Good start.

Quote:

I then take it into MTS converter and use the output setting that pops up immediately on the top; it's like .mp4 and also 25 mbps, if I'm correct the output format is named: H.264 Video(*.mp4).

I'm not familiar with the application but it looks fine. Can you confirm that MTS Converter is outputting 1920 x 1080?

Quote:

Then once it's finished, I start a new project in iMovie, import the video I just converted and set it to 25 or 30 mbps & share it straight onto youtube through iMovie.

You will need to investigate what settings iMovie is using to create the YouTube video. Is it creating a 1920 x 1080 file?

Do you have a link to a YouTube video you have created?
post #6 of 6 Old 05-17-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabatical View Post

Good start.

I'm not familiar with the application but it looks fine. Can you confirm that MTS Converter is outputting 1920 x 1080?

You will need to investigate what settings iMovie is using to create the YouTube video. Is it creating a 1920 x 1080 file?

Do you have a link to a YouTube video you have created?

Log on here tomorrow and I'll have a couple uploaded videos with links, by noon time (central time)

I'll make sure that it's all being created as a 1920 x 1080 file.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page